Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,519 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II (521 Views)

Why Do We Pray, Since God Already Knows Everything? / Why Do We Pray With Candle? / Why Do We Pray Only In Jesus Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II by paroh137(m): 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2019
I just read this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5014024/why-pray-candle and I'm in awe of Nigerians. Seems to me that we don't even understand this religion thing we're always carrying on our heads in this country. See 'Christians' castigating the doctrines of the church due to ignorance. If you do not know something, why not Google it? Or at least stfu and chill for a learned person to educate you? This attitude of "I must comment on a topic, even if I don't understand any of it" is plain sad and pathetic.

On the matter at hand. The early Christians were persecuted by the Jews, and the Roman government at some point in time. They therefore conducted services whilst hiding in dark caves, with the aid of candle light for illumination.

This practice is what today's Churches try to commemorate. It is not diabolical, it is not juju. Educate yourself. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II by Emmanystone: 8:42pm On Feb 15, 2019
paroh137:
I just read this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5014024/why-pray-candle and I'm in awe of Nigerians. Seems to me that we don't even understand this religion thing we're always carrying on our heads in this country. See 'Christians' castigating the doctrines of the church due to ignorance. If you do not know something, why not Google it? Or at least stfu and chill for a learned person to educate you? This attitude of "I must comment on a topic, even if I don't understand any of it" is plain sad and pathetic.

On the matter at hand. The early Christians were persecuted by the Jews, and the Roman government at some point in time. They therefore conducted services whilst hiding in dark caves, with the aid of candle light for illumination.

This practice is what today's Churches try to commemorate. It is not diabolical, it is not juju. Educate yourself. Thank you
Thanks for the info. But why do some Christians in well lit Churches who are neither in caves or holes use candles for services?

And why black and red candles?
Re: Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II by paroh137(m): 12:00am On Feb 16, 2019
Emmanystone:

Thanks for the info. But why do some Christians in well lit Churches who are neither in caves or holes use candles for services?

And why black and red candles?

Again, it's just symbolism, they don't need it to 'see road'. And I can only speak about the Catholic Church. We only use white candles.
Re: Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II by Emmanystone: 8:57am On Feb 16, 2019
paroh137:

Again, it's just symbolism, they don't need it to 'see road'. And I can only speak about the Catholic Church. We only use white candles.
Symbolism of what?

What attracted me is your correct illustration of why candles were used by the early brethren, 'which was to enable them see in caves', but we are out of caves, why do we still use them?

If you say it's symbolic, then, it'll mean it's a ritual with a spiritual undertone.

Why does the Church need Candles when she has the Light of the World, the light that shines brighter than the earth's sun as her bridegroom?
Re: Why Do We Pray With Candles? Part II by ThothHermes: 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2019
Ignoramus!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Carpenter Told To Remove The Charms He Buried For Goodluck In His Shop / Gospel Ebooks Of Your Choice. At Very Small Price / Bishop Oyedepo Breaks Silence, Makes A Shocking Revelation Over Hate Speech Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.