Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb (1552 Views)

OAU Final Year Student Designed ATUPA Olojumerindin Logun / Clothes Designed With Bird / All In One Solar Street Lights Are Designed To Work Throughout The Night. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by YAHREIGNS: 6:46pm On Feb 11, 2019
I seriously doubt we should be combing our natural hair.

What happens with frequently combing natural African hair (this is not for the mixed races and racially ambiguous Africans undecided)

- Breakage
_ Thinning
_ Dwindling edges
- Dryness
- Expenses

I am buying a wig just to minimise my natural hair destruction by this civilization. And to look "official" for my boss
embarassed

We need to rethink this combing hair thing angry

(Just using my hands to disentangle and moisten minimizes the destruction)

2 Likes

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by DeSepiero(m): 6:57pm On Feb 11, 2019
YAHREIGNS:

What happens with frequently combing natural African hair (this is not for the mixed races and racially ambiguous Africans undecided)

- Breakage
_ Thinning
_ Dwindling edges
- Dryness
- Expenses

I am buying a wig just to minimise my natural hair destruction by this civilization. And to look "official" for my boss
embarassed

Correct.
The African hair doesn't need relaxer too, because that's what necessitates the frequent combing.

2 Likes

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 11, 2019
Why don't you forget about wig too, the African hair ain't made for that... Just leave it to tangle by itself like that of a mad man/woman....Mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by okwabayi(m): 10:53pm On Feb 11, 2019
African hair does not need a comb.
That is a white man’s invention.
African hair needs a pick and lots of moisture/izer.
In precolonial times we used everything drippy and sticky to coat our hair and make it grow.
If treated well our hair can grow to waist length and lower in a few years.

2 Likes

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by YAHREIGNS: 11:28am On Feb 14, 2019
okwabayi:
African hair does not need a comb.
That is a white man’s invention.
African hair needs a pick and lots of moisture/izer.
In precolonial times we used everything drippy and sticky to coat our hair and make it grow.
If treated well our hair can grow to waist length and lower in a few years.
Good point. I've seen Masai men do that, also a tribe in Angola and Fulanis. Our hands and natural oils is all we need
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 14, 2019
YAHREIGNS:

- Breakage
_ Thinning
_ Dwindling edges
- Dryness
- Expenses

embarassed

Very interesting.
Those listed effects/conditions are very true.
You may be onto something.
I get why you choose the wig for professional reasons..
I have a friend who is addicted to "human hair only" weaves and wigs....and she spends a fortune.
She said she's never going back to her natural hair.
She said she hates natural hairstyles...unfortunately.
It makes sense though, that the type of hair that black people were/are blessed with (originally) was designed to withstand a certain climate...on a certain continent....*Africa*...
We know that the relaxer kits, flat-ironing, straightening etc., destroy the strength
of the hair.
Over-handling of the hair is an issue for the majority black people all over the world.
However, it's a billion (with a "b"wink dollar industry in the U.S....so selling all of the gadgets, chemicals and creams etc., is big business...
It's hard to embrace "natural" when the culture neither promotes nor finds it attractive... undecided
Shouldn't be that way in Africa though....
Braiding, twisting, or protective hairstyles seem to be ideal for our hair health though.

1 Like

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by morpheus24: 4:38pm On Feb 14, 2019
YAHREIGNS:

- Breakage
_ Thinning
_ Dwindling edges
- Dryness
- Expenses

embarassed

Come are you serious. Do you know how ancient combs that were made in Africa are. Please google is your friend, use it and understand that combing of hair ahs been something done by Africans +-10,000 years ago
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by YAHREIGNS: 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2019
morpheus24:

Come are you serious. Do you know how ancient combs that were made in Africa are. Please google is your friend, use it and understand that combing of hair ahs been something done by Africans +-10,000 years ago
Am pretty sure all kinds of combs sizes and types have always been in use in Africa. Africa has the entire range of hair types.
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by YAHREIGNS: 5:27pm On Feb 15, 2019
@Mobilia

I had a protective style whose purpose I did not quite understand. I just looked back some few months ago since then to realise my hair has reduced not just in length

Its funny we still have a lot to learn about taking care of our own selves,
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 15, 2019
YAHREIGNS:
@Mo/bilia

I had a protective style whose purpose I did not quite understand. I just looked back some few months ago since then to realise my hair has reduced not just in length

Its funny we still have a lot to learn about taking care of our own selves,

Oh....I'm sorry about that.
You're right.
We can still lose the hair even with a protective styles (braids or twists)..if we don't take engage in some
form of maintenance...
I learned that the hard way...years ago in college.
Yep...we certainly have a lot to still learn...for sure.

1 Like

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Ishilove: 10:38pm On Feb 15, 2019
I started relaxing my hair because it is very thick and tough, but if I can have a recipe to soften it then I will drop relaxers for good. Until then, culture can kiss my ass in that regard.
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by QnVee: 1:25am On Feb 16, 2019
Henna is good to strengthen condition and soften the tight coils. There are many videos on YouTube for recipes and instructions.

1 Like

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by YAHREIGNS: 9:25am On Feb 16, 2019
Ishilove:
I started relaxing my hair because it is very thick and tough, but if I can have a recipe to soften it then I will drop relaxers for good. Until then, culture can kiss my ass in that regard.
If you'll still have it all on your head in five years then you are good.

You should share with us how to keep relaxed African hair from falling off
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Ishilove: 9:43am On Feb 16, 2019
YAHREIGNS:

If you'll still have it all on your head in five years then you are good.

You should share with us how to keep relaxed African hair from falling off
I've had it on my head for seventeen years, so I'm good.
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Elthugnificent(m): 10:11am On Feb 16, 2019
Also applicable to men?
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by YAHREIGNS: 3:21pm On Feb 16, 2019
Elthugnificent:
Also applicable to men?
No. Unless you let it grow long
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Elthugnificent(m): 6:10pm On Feb 16, 2019
YAHREIGNS:

No. Unless you let it grow long
Sure I can't comb when I am bald.

The question was, as long as I have I shouldn't comb my hair?

1 Like

Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by HarryDuce(m): 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2019
Combing of hair is not a western imposition on Africans though. Maybe straight hair is, but it is not a prevailing problem in Nigeria as it is in the west.
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 19, 2019
HarryDuce:
Combing of hair is not a western imposition on Africans though. Maybe straight hair is, but it is not a prevailing problem in Nigeria as it is in the west.

Oh do you mean the "desire" to have "straight hair" meaning easily "comb-able" hair...by way of using relaxer kits is the more prevailing problem in Nigeria?

Yes...in the U.S., unfortunately, it is a challenge somewhat to embrace our "natural hair texture" identity in a society that has never really promoted nor found it necessarily beautiful.
Length, texture, style etc all are issues (to a ceryain extent) in the U.S. for the majority of Black Americans.
Re: African Hair Was Not Designed For The Comb by HarryDuce(m): 12:05pm On Feb 19, 2019
Mobilia:

Oh do you mean the "desire" to have "straight hair" meaning easily "comb-able" hair...by way of using relaxer kits is the more prevailing problem in Nigeria?

Yes...in the U.S., unfortunately, it is a challenge somewhat to embrace our "natural hair texture" identity in a society that has never really promoted nor found it necessarily beautiful.
Length, texture, style etc all are issues (to a ceryain extent) in the U.S. for the majority of Black Americans.
@the bold, absolutely. Our grandmothers made use of combs - albeit traditional - to maintain their hair. But what we have in Nigeria these days is more of a Willful trend. Nigerian Women straighten their hair for the sake of convenience mostly and to please themselves.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ancient Knowledge: Consciousness, Sacred Geometry, Cymatics,illusion Of Reality / Nairaland Girls, Your Thoughts On Chimamanda's Speech / Aje Festival 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.