Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos (10325 Views)

A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / About Iwa Akwa Festival (Igbo Initiation Into Manhood) / Okrika Iria Ceremony For Virgins Commences (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 12, 2019
Yoruba plant kola nut
Northerners eat it anyhow as sedative
While it's given cultural significance in igboland

1 Like

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by jrusky(m): 11:09am On Feb 12, 2019
igbodefender:
You can say that again. Igbo culture is the driving force under God of Igbo success.

It's nice but other tribes do same but a bit more pronounced in Igbo as important cultural thing.

Pls no one should digress this to tribal rants. AtikuObilation is what is envogue right now. One demon must go back to his demonic unproductive cows.
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by chizzypresh(f): 11:11am On Feb 12, 2019
igbodefender:
Good observation. Not only that, groundnut is also competing with Ọse Ọjị when Anyara is used. In a recent Ohaneze gathering we used anyara and groundnuts instead anyara and Ọse Ọjị!

Dont know where they learnt this one oooo

2 Likes

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Olawalesmarter(m): 11:17am On Feb 12, 2019
sassysure:
Yoruba plant kola nut
Northerners eat it anyhow as sedative
While it's given cultural significance in igboland

This comments just prove that you know nothing about Yoruba
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 12, 2019
tossie101:
Omenala igbo ga_adi,
Igbo nwe m, e kene m'unu.
why u post phyno picture? Is phyno the leader of igboland? undecided
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Fuckdamod: 11:30am On Feb 12, 2019
superlanny:
Everything about that tribe is trash abeg, anything that is synonymous to senselessness I don't take serious.
U saw the thread was about a trash tribe.. yet u opened it, read the article and commented. Tell me why if not for the envy in ur heart. If u claim u hate something then u avoid it at all cost. Who is the senseless one now?

5 Likes

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Yankiss(m): 11:33am On Feb 12, 2019
In Igbo land, a guest not given kola is probably not welcome. Kola is very significant to an Igbo man.
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by silvoice(m): 11:36am On Feb 12, 2019
my igbo brothers, if you give your inlaws kola, do you pray with the kola prior to handing over to them or just drop the kola and let them pray over it

1 Like

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by chizzypresh(f): 11:37am On Feb 12, 2019
superlanny:
Everything about that tribe is trash abeg, anything that is synonymous to senselessness I don't take serious.
Who is this one nah
olee ebe isi bia tongue

1 Like

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by chizzypresh(f): 11:38am On Feb 12, 2019
Fuckdamod:

U saw the thread was about a trash tribe.. yet u opened it, read the article and commented. Tell me why if not for the envy in ur heart. If u claim u hate something then u avoid it at all cost. Who is the senseless one now?

No mind him
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2019
Racoon:
Iri oji.Nobody does it better.Ndi banyi kwenu! Igbo amaka!

Igbo Amaka for real! Nke a by nke anyi!
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by tossie101(f): 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2019
GBOKASINCHA:
why u post phyno picture? Is phyno the leader of igboland? undecided

He is among people putting IGBOS in world map with flavour.
And I like him

1 Like

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2019
There are those Igbos we throw kolanut to the ground to.
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by frozen70(f): 6:06pm On Feb 12, 2019
vikkimimi:
The kola nut represents life....... Though this seems to be fading away as anyara(Garden egg) is been substituted for kola nut in mist cases now... Don't know why

Yes but in a real traditional occasion, no matter the number of anhara, kola nut will be there

People have reduced the consumption of kola nut due to the caffeine content in it

But in family houses you will surely see anhara
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by chris31(m): 9:22pm On Feb 12, 2019
vikkimimi:
The kola nut represents life....... Though this seems to be fading away as anyara(Garden egg) is been substituted for kola nut in mist cases now... Don't know why
It's passing away coz some of u youths allow education to wipe ur culture in ur memory
As for me no amount of education i acquired can make me see my culture as inferior
Learn to go close to elders & listen to their stories
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by chris31(m): 9:28pm On Feb 12, 2019
igbodefender:
Good observation. Not only that, groundnut is also competing with Ọse Ọjị when Anyara is used. In a recent Ohaneze gathering we used anyara and groundnuts instead anyara and Ọse Ọjị!
That's coz some of them don't understand the meaning & work of Ose Oji they never care about the culture
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by chris31(m): 9:31pm On Feb 12, 2019
Ibu onye Igbo mana imaghi asu asusu gi ma obu ede ya ihere kwesiri ibu nke gi
How would u value ur culture if u don't understand ur language?
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by peacefull(f): 5:45am On Mar 10, 2019
I learned a lot today. Thank you so much.
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by kalu61(m): 2:50am On Mar 15, 2019
superlanny:
Are you Ok. Hatred is poison that kills the man who harbors than the one hated. Live in peace with all men.
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by kalu61(m): 2:50am On Mar 15, 2019
peacefull:
I learned a lot today. Thank you so much.
Ego ne ka iga kwu. haha
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by peacefull(f): 4:30am On Mar 15, 2019
kalu61:
Ego ne ka iga kwu. haha

I'm sorry.
I'm not Nigerian and I'm not English speaker.
I'm learning many things on this Website.
What do you mean? Igbo language?
Please If not disturbing you, Can you teach me that meaning?
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by beatmonster(m): 7:07am On Mar 15, 2019
peacefull:

I'm sorry.
I'm not Nigerian and I'm not English speaker.
I'm learning many things on this Website.
What do you mean? Igbo language?
Please If not disturbing you, Can you teach me that meaning?

it means "how much (money) will you pay"
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by peacefull(f): 9:11pm On Mar 15, 2019
beatmonster:

it means "how much (money) will you pay"

shocked
Joke? I had learn. That's why pay money?

Anyway, Thank you so much. I appreciate you!!
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by beatmonster(m): 11:10pm On Mar 15, 2019
peacefull:

shocked
Joke? I had learn. That's why pay money?

Anyway, Thank you so much. I appreciate you!!

I translated the meaning for you.

yes, he is joking
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by peacefull(f): 3:40am On Mar 16, 2019
beatmonster:

I translated the meaning for you.

yes, he is joking

Ok!!! Joking grin
Thank you so much. I really appreciate you cheesy
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by kalu61(m): 4:32am On Mar 16, 2019
peacefull:

I'm sorry. I'm not Nigerian and I'm not English speaker. I'm learning many things on this Website. What do you mean? Igbo language? Please If not disturbing you, Can you teach me that meaning?
it means "how much will you pay. ego means money note that one for now
so, where are you from
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by peacefull(f): 3:03am On Mar 19, 2019
kalu61:

it means "how much will you pay.
ego means money
note that one for now

so, where are you from

Thank you so much.
I had learn it!! I appreciate you.

I'm from Japan.
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by pazienza(m): 7:04am On Mar 19, 2019
vikkimimi:

More painful though is that many no longer use Nzu (chalk) to draw, while welcoming visitors or pouring libations to the ancestors.
Odinani and Omenala are evolving. Culture is never static I guess, but we should be wary of changing too much within a very short time, lest we become lost.

2 Likes

Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by kalu61(m): 2:31am On Mar 20, 2019
peacefull:

Thank you so much. I had learn it!! I appreciate you.
I'm from Japan.
That is good. Welcome
Re: Kola Breaking Ceremony (Iwa Ọjị) Of The Igbos by peacefull(f): 4:58am On Mar 20, 2019
kalu61:
That is good. Welcome

Thank you so much!! I appreciate you!
But I'm sorry, I can't pay you Ego cry
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Isese Festival: Osun Declares Monday Public Holiday / What's Are The Weirdest Culture In The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.