Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Who Killed Romance? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Who Killed Romance? (819 Views)

Oh My Gosh! See Prostitute Who Killed Google Executive / Meet The Man Who Killed Lover In Festac Took Her Stolen Range Rover To Ghana For / Romance Section Battles 1. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Who Killed Romance? by Damsal(f): 6:14pm On Aug 23, 2010
I remember when I was in school back in Nigeria when a guy wanted to ask you out it would be a big deal not only for you but for him. He would write you a letter (this was the mid nineties, so mobile phones were just coming out) which was filled with sappy lines like ‘you are the only sugar in my tea or the only cockroach in my cupboard’ by the way this was always in every guys letter, like a law had been passed which required every love letter to include those lines. If he couldn’t write you a letter he would send a friend to ask you if you wanted to go out with him, you were most likely to reply with “I don’t know, I have to think about it” and if you gave back a negative reply he would still spend days trying to get you to say yes. During this period he would buy you gifts such as assorted biscuits, offer to take you to Mr Biggs and if he was good with his words he would write you a couple of songs.

Fast-forward to the present and now we have guys who wait for women to make the first move. I remember having a conversation with a friend about relationships and mid conversation he says ‘I don’t ask girls out they ask me’, let’s just say I had to cover my mind with the blood of Jesus a couple of times to ignore the thoughts that were forming in my head towards him. I mean talk about confident.

So what happened to romance did the independent woman generation kill it or has it just become as old fashioned as chivalry has become. Where women have decided to go after what they want instead of letting it come to them, where romance has become to exhausting and they just want to get straight on with it, or are they too busy buying properties and working long hours to even realise that it’s not there anymore.

Or maybe romance has evolved with time, where text messages have replaced the old love letter and instead of him asking you to be his girlfriend you wait till his facebook status changes to ‘in a relationship’ and instead of you spending hours with your friends deciding what you are going to wear for your next date you’re in the kitchen wearing an old scarf with an oversized t-shirt and jogging bottoms dragging at your feet cooking dinner because you are already living together.

So I ask you who killed romance?

http://yemibabasanya.
Re: Who Killed Romance? by afternysc(f): 8:39pm On Aug 23, 2010
@POSTER, wait. is Romance dead? Must have missed that headline! undecided
Re: Who Killed Romance? by double08(m): 8:52pm On Aug 23, 2010
you still want boys writing u letter shey be?
Re: Who Killed Romance? by luap: 10:37pm On Aug 23, 2010
Feminism - when women decided to become like men Women have been trained to be as men. They like to compete on all levels, so they now chase us men. The men are becoming like women, turning women down, unless they have something to offer.

Crazy woman made it harder on yourselves.
Re: Who Killed Romance? by iice(f): 4:13am On Aug 24, 2010

(1)

My Husband And I First Marital Date / Black Women In 9/11 / My Boyfriend Is Using Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.