Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story (8820 Views)

What Does This Mean? Please Interpret! / What Does Yahoo Plus 419 Mean / Should A Poem Mean? Or Just Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 11:28am On Sep 09, 2010
The squished book is easy. Just right-click its zip folder and 'Open With' Microsoft Word. It'll automatically right itself. Do you read Nigerian writers? I just love all your tastes in books. If you liked A Space Odyssey you'll enjoy Rendezvous with Rama. It's vintage Clarke.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MyJoe: 12:24pm On Sep 13, 2010
Been offshore – thanks for the last batch of books. They are all fine. I did try that before, having seen it in your earlier post, but it does not open at all. I do read Nigerian writers though I really look forward to a time I would have time to read a lot of fiction again. I’d appreciate the Rendezvous with Rama you mentioned. Thanks.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Parnassuss(m): 4:11pm On Sep 13, 2010
Omo, I feel 50 points lower in IQ when see some posts.
Anyway, I need some Immanuel Kant. I don't seem to be able to stomach fiction these days. Very sad for me, I know.
Oh yeah, MyJoe, your write rocks my world man. It is very good.
@aletheia
I need tin-tins too please (puppy dog eyes) could you email the link to kc.jones4670@gmail.com. Thank You.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 8:38pm On Sep 13, 2010
MyJoe, have you by any chance read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimmamanda Adichie? What did you think of The Gods Themselves by Asimov?

Parnassus, where are you, purgatory? No one, no one, no one reads Immanuel Kant for fun.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MyJoe: 1:55pm On Sep 15, 2010
Have been meaning to read Adichie and Habila - things just stand in the way. Hopefully before the year runs out. Or perhaps as soon as I finish the book I'm working on in another month or so.

I have not read that Asimov. I don't read sci-fi. Never liked them. I asked for many of these titles to give them a try since it is a lifetime since I last did. Others I asked for because of familiarity with some works by the same author.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2010
Lovely, lovely write up!   I especially love the closing sentence.

@Mad_Max: you got Dean Koontz?  I wouldn't mind all of Stephen King's as well. The Satanic Verses too.  Thanks!  <snip>

@Parnassuss
Parnassuss:

Omo, I feel 50 points lower in IQ when see some posts.

lol. cheesy My guy, you're not the only one o!
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 4:43pm On Sep 18, 2010
MyJoe:

Have been meaning to read Adichie and Habila - things just stand in the way. Hopefully before the year runs out. Or perhaps as soon as I finish the book I'm working on in another month or so.

I have not read that Asimov. I don't read sci-fi. Never liked them. I asked for many of these titles to give them a try since it is a lifetime since I last did. Others I asked for because of familiarity with some works by the same author.

Is it fiction or non-fiction? It must involve a great deal of work! If you don't like SF how will you 'get' 2001 or The Gods Themselves? Asimov created an alternate universe par excellence in the second and best segment of the book. Please don't read them if you don't like the genre. Good grief. You should check out Half of a Yellow Sun. Adichie is supremely gifted. There is no way she will not win a Nobel prize if she keeps that up. Best novel I've read from an African author in ages, apart from Ben Okri's The Famished Road. She's possibly the best African novelist I've come across yet. Better, even, than Chinua Achebe. That's saying a lot. The novel is already a modern literary classic.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 9:09am On Sep 20, 2010
Mad_Max, nothing for me? sad
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MyJoe: 11:29am On Sep 21, 2010
I like to keep different genres. In the past I have found myself reading stuff I previously avoided and like them. Could happen with the Asimov – I like the title. The way you talk of Adichie. . . sounds like I really should be reading her.

It involves a considerable amount of work, but it’s actually extending over time because I only get to touch it every other weekend. It’s a non-fic material I think young people will find beneficial. If you agree to scrutinise it and perhaps make recommendations I will send it when I am through. Last book I published didn’t do well as nearly as I expected and I will not even get this to the press if I have any doubts it will be well received. Fiction, I will get back to writing, but not soon, I believe.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 2:53pm On Sep 22, 2010
Books are simply a huge accomplishment. It's amazing that you write them. I'm not sure I'd be qualified to make recommendations, though. Don't you need an expert in that particular non-fiction field for that? I merely do a lot of reading; I'm not an expert on books and wouldn't know what to recommend really. Yeah. Adichie is amazing. She won a MacArthur genius grant. I'm not sure but I think she's the first Nigerian to win it. Where on earth is Aletheia? Haven't the faintest idea what novel to read next and he might have excellent titles I haven't read to recommend. Like you and nuc, he's got great taste.

Purist:

Mad_Max, nothing for me? sad

I'm afraid so. A jump from acid acrimony to demanding books is a very large leap, don't you find? The friendly in-between stuff that inclines me to send things or receive them from people is pointedly missing.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 4:23pm On Sep 23, 2010
Acrid acrimony ke? ojigbi jigbi jigbi jigbi! cheesy

I sincerely hope that you're not referring to our first (and last) encounter.  I'd be sorely disappointed if that's the case, because I got absolutely no issues with you at all.  You're a Jesus follower, you shouldn't bear any grudge. Acrid acrimony is such a big phrase. sad
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2010
You've got some rule book I'm obligated to hop to, being a 'Jesus follower?' I find your gap-jumping curious. I don't do things that way. Does that sound snooty? I'll let it.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by nuclearboy(m): 8:26pm On Sep 23, 2010
^^ Your conversation with Purist reads like good old fashioned Chinese fiction - you killed my daddy, now I kill you! REPHRASE - You acrimony me, now me pointedly diss you.

BTW, how come your posts in "Religion" come in blue but here, come out like us normal people? With Joagbaje claiming God nowadays, I hope its not like you're Holy Michael(ess)?
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 9:14pm On Sep 23, 2010
I've merely been slightly amused. I like the sound of 'You acrimony me, now me pointedly diss you' though. Sounds like a Chinese blockbuster.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 7:57am On Sep 24, 2010
Mad_Max:

You really are cantankerous. Now tell me why I, or anyone else for that matter, should take your "I am a Christian, I know Jesus" mantra seriously. If you like, make u beef me till thy kingdom come, I no send. You're the one nursing the umbrage, not me. grin But I still admire your intellect though, I'll admit. I don't think I ever insulted you on this forum, even though you accused me of double identity, so I'm really not sure why you think me an adversary. But no problems if you don't want to give me the books. Be good. smiley
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by nuclearboy(m): 8:15am On Sep 24, 2010
?
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 9:57am On Sep 24, 2010
See there, that's why I delayed. You were hostile and insulting in our previous encounter. In the next you casually demand books. You figure since I'm a 'Jesus follower', I have appearances to keep up and a gallery to play to, and must oblige you. Wrong tack, so I had to say No. I've been only a little amused before but your last post increased my merriment. Thanks for the entertainment and feel free to not take my 'mantra' seriously. It might occur to you my 'mantra' is none of your concern and your feelings about it are irrelevant. But then, you know, it might not. wink
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by spikedcylinder: 10:24am On Sep 24, 2010
@ MyJoe,

I love your story, your use of words and prose. Is there more?

@ Max
Tolstoy, did you say you have a soft copy? Which Nigerian authors have you read? Which ones do you like? I keep seein Ben Okri's name pop up here and there and was almost tempted to buy on of his titles last week but I was put off because the cover was too shiny. cheesy
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 10:45am On Sep 24, 2010
Mad_Max:

Mad_Max:

You were hostile and insulting in our previous encounter.

It'd really be nice if you could just point out those insults you refer to.  Here: our encounter.  (It's been 3 months, T-H-R-E-E months. . . jeeezzz!!)

I really don't know how you receive my statements, but when I use words like 'cantankerous', I do not mean it as an insult. . . not at all.  And when I say 'I no send', I mean it just as it is - that I'm not bothered that you think me an adversary, since I don't see you in the same light.   But you already have it at the back of your mind that I'd been 'acrimonious' to you once, so whatever I say will sound insulting to you.  I'm not one to keep e-malice.   I can blatantly disagree with you on one thread, and be in complete agreement with you on another.  I never 'carry fights' from one thread to another, 'cos I always try to look beyond persons and focus on posts.   And I always try to choose my words carefully too; maybe I'm not trying hard enough.  I apologize, sincerely. embarassed

Mad_Max:

It might occur to you my 'mantra' is none of your concern and your feelings about it are irrelevant.
Actually, they are. . . to me. wink
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 1:24pm On Sep 24, 2010
@ Spikie
I liked A man of the People by Achebe, Half of a Yellow Sun by Adichie and the Famished Road by Okri. Few Nigerian novelists can cut it on a world level, but those three do. The Man Died by Soyinka is the best non-fiction book by a Nigerian, and simply world class. It's what nudged the Nobel Prize his way, not those plays of his. The Famished Road is about an abiku child who lives in a Nigerian shantytown, and knows its poverty and local politics. At the same time, he experiences his abiku spirit world and traverses both with ease, with no demarcations in-between. It's a very strange and wonderful book, the only Nigerian book to win the Booker Prize, I think. I don't have Tolstoy in soft copy. Please issue an email addy and I'll have the titles sent, along with others you haven't read that I have in soft copy.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2010
Mad_Max:

I formed an unpleasant first impression of you because your unpleasantness was personal.

My "unpleasantness" (no longer "insults", huh?) - whatever that means - was NOT personal.   I'd have written the exact same words if it were someone else.  Somehow, the notion that I chose you as a specific target seems to be deeply rooted in you.

Mad_Max:

It wasn't one-sided, so an apology is not at all necessary.

The apology is not meant to be sorry for whatever I said back then, 'cos I have no reason to.  I simply apologized for. . . well, being "unpleasant" in my approach. undecided

Mad_Max:

However, a jump from that to making demands was mildly amusing. It's a demand obviously based on the calculation that I'm obligated to act a certain way for the sake of my 'public face' and religious beliefs, and I don't. That was what I found funny and why I said No, nothing more. 

Quit using words like "obviously", especially when you've got it all wrong.  Three months ago, it was "obvious" I was disguising as someone else.  You had already said No before I made any reference to your religious belief.  My demand was based solely on the fact that you were dishing out books to all and sundry, and I thought I would get my own share too.  It didn't occur to me that you'd bring up an issue that was laid to rest 3 months ago, just to deny me.   It seemed to me like a way to "get back at me", and that was why I was disappointed that a self-acclaimed follower of Jesus would act in such manner, since Jesus supposedly emphasized on not reciprocating injustice, perceived or otherwise.  This was what birthed my reference to your religious belief, nothing more.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
The book exchange was obviously between friends. I don't see anyone else calling it a 'dishing out to all sundry' and jumping in to demand 'their share'. I found your demand a little odd. Given our last exchange, I assumed right off the bat you thought it your due since I've a religious script to follow. It's a very common mentality amongst the non-religious to think people who are religious can be manipulated by their religious beliefs to do things. I come across it a lot and the answer is always No. In your case I had a hoot, and dallied. It wasn't anything serious, I was just privately amused. You wanted all Dean Koontz and all Stephen King titles, which is more books than everybody here combined have requested. The past spat was a trifle, but you didn't deem it necessary to be friendly even once in the months since then, till you imagined there was some book bonanza. If that hadn't been the case, if you'd addressed a single post to me since then, I would have sent whatever you wanted without a second thought. Since you didn't, it had to be the religion thing. Come on, you have to see the humour in that from my POV. I told you there are no grudges and no apologies are necessary since the exchange was two-sided. If I went in for things as silly as grudges I think the pc thing would have been to ignore you, which is easily done. But if it suits you to think there's a grudge, go ahead. I've mentioned why I've been laughing and why I initially said No, but you can't seem to get it. And you're still at it. I swear you've cracked me up again.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by spikedcylinder: 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2010
Mad_Max:

@ Spikie
I liked A man of the People by Achebe, Half of a Yellow Sun by Adichie and the Famished Road by Okri. Few Nigerian novelists can cut it on a world level, but those three do. The Man Died by Soyinka is the best non-fiction book by a Nigerian, and simply world class. It's what nudged the Nobel Prize his way, not those plays of his. The Famished Road is about an abiku child who lives in a Nigerian shantytown, and knows its poverty and local politics. At the same time, he experiences his abiku spirit world and traverses both with ease, with no demarcations in-between. It's a very strange and wonderful book, the only Nigerian book to win the Booker Prize, I think. I don't have Tolstoy in soft copy. Please issue an email addy and I'll have the titles sent, along with others you haven't read that I have in soft copy.

Ok dear, email ad is spikedcylinder@yahoo.co.uk.
smiley
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by aletheia(m): 7:36pm On Sep 24, 2010
Mad_Max:

Where on earth is Aletheia? Haven't the faintest idea what novel to read next and he might have excellent titles I haven't read to recommend. Like you and nuc, he's got great taste.
^^Sorry, I've been absent from this thread. Resumed graduate school, so kind of busy right now. Not sure I have great taste; just ecletic; though I tend to favor history, historical fiction, sci-fi and fantasy.

Suggestions for reading? How about this classic: Ben-Hur---(the novel, not the film; though the film too wasn't bad, winning 11 Academy awards)?
Or The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Hope I was of some help? smiley
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2010
How's graduate studies going? We enjoy the same books so your suggestions are always helpful. I've seen the Ben Hur movie and liked it. But if I've seen the movie adaptation before the book I tend to not the read the book, since I already have the 'gist' from the movie. It's why I never read the English Patient,The Hours, etc. Never heard of the Curious Incident. What's it genre? Who's the author, so I can look for it? Thanks.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by aletheia(m): 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2010
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It's a fictional tale about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome who investigates the murder of his neighbour's dog. It won the 2004 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best First Book.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by Purist(m): 8:44am On Sep 25, 2010
Mad_Max:

I love you too, baby! kiss
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by spikedcylinder: 8:56am On Sep 25, 2010
aletheia:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It's a fictional tale about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome who investigates the murder of his neighbour's dog. It won the 2004 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best First Book.

Now you're talking. Seems like my kindda book.
Bookmarking. cheesy
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MadMax1(f): 7:53pm On Sep 25, 2010
Purist:

Mad_Max:

I love you too, baby! kiss

Lol. Let me have the Stephen King titles you want. Koontz I have only in hard copy.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by MyJoe: 12:46pm On Sep 27, 2010
I never say no to an exchange between two intelligent people, even if it’s against a background of acid acrimony, mistaken identities, increasing merriment, and guided apologies, all devoid of e-malice!  grin

Mad_Max:

Books are simply a huge accomplishment. It's amazing that you write them. I'm not sure I'd be qualified to make recommendations, though. Don't you need an expert in that particular non-fiction field for that? I merely do a lot of reading; I'm not an expert on books and wouldn't know what to recommend really. Yeah. Adichie is amazing. She won a MacArthur genius grant. I'm not sure but I think she's the first Nigerian to win it. Where on earth is Aletheia? Haven't the faintest idea what novel to read next and he might have excellent titles I haven't read to recommend. Like you and nuc, he's got great taste.
I understand you, but it’s no expert material. Just common everyday stuff. Anyway, I’m just now still at it.

If you want to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, I suggest you start it when you don’t have something lined up to do, because you can’t put it down. Exceptionally well-written, mercilessly simple, ruthlessly amusing, unbelievably sad, and remarkably original, it evokes all sorts of feelings in the reader. If you like anthropology/Asian culture, you may want to check out Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden. It’s not unputdownable but it’s one of those deep human interest stories that challenge the way we look at certain things. If you want something really weird, an urban Neanderthal story, read The Sisterhood, by Michael Palmer. It’s about a group of nurses who took it upon themselves to save the world by helping those suffering intense pain to die “with dignity”. In a shocking twist of things, some Sisters hijacked the movement and took it in a completely different, much more sinister, direction. If you want an old-style drug-based thriller – guns, gadgets, plots, subterfuge, blood - written by an author with eclectic interests who manages to weave in stuffs as diverse as special forces, Amerindians, Amazon wildlife, drug lords, mysticism, conquistadors, classic arts, read Wet Work, by Christopher Buckley. It’s a bit crazy but guy manages to pull it off well. I guess only he can do it, as not even Forsyth can draw such big circles with his pen.

Did you say you have any Nigerian writer in a soft file? Do you read, and do you have, Ruth Rendell?

spikedcylinder:

@ MyJoe,
I love your story, your use of words and prose. Is there more?

Coming from someone as brilliant as you like most of the others here just makes my head swell. Day I wrote that back in 2004 I wrote five others of about the same word count. I thought half of them were okay. An oyinbo friend who read them picked the one here as the second best, though I didn’t share his opinion. Since you asked, I will paste another one of them. It’s not crime-fic like this one though and the language is different. I like to experiment with different styles and genres.
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by vescucci(m): 3:52pm On Sep 27, 2010
Haddon's book was really quite good. I'm a sucker for any book with cute illustrations. Dunno if I coulda finished Stephen King's IT without em. I even read The Da Vinci Code again a mere 2 months later because my brother got me an illustrated edition.

Do you read Umberto Eco MyJoe? Have you read Shogun? There's this Ishiguro fellow I hear about. Anyone know if he's any good? Well, that good?
Re: A Mean Consensus - A Short Short Story by aletheia(m): 6:09pm On Sep 27, 2010
vescucci:

Do you read Umberto Eco MyJoe? Have you read Shogun?
^Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum: strange, otherworldly. Was it a satirical look at conspiracy theories or something else? Still undecided.
James Clavel's Shogun: wonderful tale of intrigue set in Feudal Japan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Her 25th Birthday (ifenkili) 18+ / How To Avoid Being Scammed By Vanity Publishers / 3957 Free E-novels(limited Time Offer)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.