Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP (378 Views)

Mahmood Yakubu Speaking On No Election Postponement Vs The Postponement (videos) / Election Postponement: Buhari Campaign Blames PDP / 2019 Election Postponement: INEC Official Statement (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP by Sanchez01: 2:42pm On Feb 16, 2019
Nigerians were jolted with a rude shock in the early hours of today over the suspension of the much anticipated elections by the Electoral body over 'logistics' in ensuring a 'fair, free and credible elections'. In saner climes, the Chairman of the Commission will be answering questions on why he should not be stripped of his position and evade a possible jail time.

In all of my years on the face of the earth, I doubt I have seen a national election being suspended over flimsy reasons, particularly hours to go. The Commission had more than enough time to prepare for this day and an excuse as logistics should be the last song on the lips of the INEC Chairman.

Its Effect of Nigeria
Between today and next Friday, reports of Electoral-related anti-activities will grace every social media platform known to Nigerians. This in turn will trigger accusations and counter-accusations between parties and will most likely cast doubts on the authenticity of the election, irrespective of who wins.

Not forgetting security,the heightened tension, disgust on voters' part and desperation of politicians, we are bound to see desperate moves by politicians within the next six days.

On a lighter note, this is the first time Nigerians are seeing a 'Holy' Saturday; a Saturday devoid of parties, activities and what have you. Activities will be halted in the same manner come next week and people who have activities slated for next week are left to gnash their teeth and cuss out the country and INEC for the sudden change of plan.

Its Effect on INEC
This miscalculated move by INEC has seen so many lose faith in the Commission to conduct a free, fair and credible election. INEC had an average of two years to prepare for this day but failed to rise to the occasion when the world was looking.

How can we forget Buhari's niece in the Commission who heads her supposed 'Logistics' unit, the reason for which the election was suspended in the first place?

INEC's little Chess move is too questionable. We might not be able to have a Jega era again but asking for a standing slated date isn't too much to ask for.

Its Effect on the APC
Even in the face of an election, the incumbent takes the blow for whatever happens.

The biggest loser of the Postponement is non other than the APC as they are perceived to be behind the move. Whether true or false, the ruling party and her candidate have a lot of work to do. They need to convince Nigerians that the eleventh hour change of plan has nothing to do with them.

President Buhari and his party might need to cry to the high heavens that this isn't the usual disregard towards the Nigerian people where Rule of Law is disregarded, beaten and washed off to die in the sun.

A handful of indifferent voters, alongside myself, for the first time are somewhat disgusted at the Roller Coster ride we are being led on as a people. The Pendulum seems to be tilting from the APC's angle to its main opposition camp. A similar play in 2015 caused Jonathan and the PDP to lose votes in their number even though the Commission announced a week before that the Postponement was a security measure to water down tension in the country.

Its Effect on the PDP
For the first time in years, the one-time ruling party have been painted as a Saint whom the king loathes for been too fair. Outcries from the camp of the PDP have painted them as being unaware of the said move of the Commission.

I am predicting that the PDP camp will experience a surge of indecisive candidates in its favour.

Conclusion

Nigerians are TOO DOCILE AS A PEOPLE. INEC's sudden remembrance of logistics issue is an indication that we accept anything thrown at us. The credibility of the Commission is already in doubt, regardless of who comes out victorious. Candidates and their parties have been given a reason to potentially blame their defeat on the sudden postponement of INEC. It goes on to say a lot about us as a Nation if we cannot plan an election for two years or more and successful make it hold without attracting unnecessary drama to it.
Re: Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP by SarcasticWords: 2:49pm On Feb 16, 2019
I always thought Nigerians wanted change. A new set of Leaders. But all I see are people chanting, quarreling, insulting and bragging for old leaders and two parties that have horribly failed the country.

Our media outlets and tv stations just focused solely on two evil parties that have mirror images of each other.

Why support PDP, a party known to be highly addicted to looting and corruption?

Why support APC, a party that is blood thirsty and unconcerned about killings of innocent people.

Oh well, I guess people aren't ready for a complete Change.

Until you people are ready, please stop telling Nigerians overseas to come back "home". Which home? Home is not a place, it's a feeling. A feeling of being safe, happy & secured. I doubt any Nigerian presently in Nigeria feels this way.
Re: Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP by Naijaguy12345(m): 2:51pm On Feb 16, 2019
Let INEC postpone it 200 time, APC will win it 200 times.

I welcome any move to prevent Atiku from coming close to power.
Re: Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP by victordaimond: 2:55pm On Feb 16, 2019
Some people are still in Shock ooo

Re: Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP by DoyenExchange: 2:55pm On Feb 16, 2019
Change the change! We are Overwhelmingly ATIKULATED! grin
Re: Election Postponement: Its Effect On Nigeria, INEC, APC And The PDP by victordaimond: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2019
Naijaguy12345:
Let INEC postpone it 200 time, APC will win it 200 times.

I welcome any move to prevent Atiku from coming close to power.
Apc is the worst kind of thieves

(1) (Reply)

Hoodlums Disrupt Tradermoni Disbursement In Abeokuta / I Am In Akwa Ibom State To Count Votes Not Money- REC / The Two Most Prominent Grammatical Infelicities In This Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.