Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,386 members, 7,808,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? (31053 Views)

New Changes For Jehovah's Witness: Women Can Wear Trousers, Men Must Not Wear.. / Evangelist Victor Edet: 'Ladies Who Wear Trousers Can Never Make Heaven' / Daddy Freeze Hails Pastor Abel Damina For Saying Women Can Wear Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Gullah: 8:24am On Feb 17, 2019
There has always been heated arguments among Christians and Christian denominations as regards the position of the Bible on wearing of trousers by women. I also had been conflicted about this at certain stages of my development as a Christian but after thorough and thoughtful examination of this matter, I came to a conclusion and I will outline my own argument on this issue with this thread.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

This Bible passage above is where the entire controversy over appropriateness of Christian women wearing trousers or not emanate from

1. Note that it made not specifically talking about women wearing trousers, it does not even mention the word trouser as it wasn't even in existence then. It was talking about what we call Cross-dressing today so the question is should women wearing trousers today be seen as an example of cross dressing?

Trousers were not our clothing in this part of the world, it was a dressing we borrowed from western culture so if we are to determine if it is male or female clothing or not, we need to look to those that own the culture. From my research, the earliest appearance of trousers in human history were in Asia and much later in Europe and much of what we call the western world today.

The question is did women wear trousers in Asia and the western world or was it only for men? The truth is their women wore trousers and it is not a modern thing, they had been wearing trousers long before Christianity came to Nigeria. If Among the people that invented this trousers, women wear trousers, how did Africans who borrowed the culture come to conclude that it is only a man's wear? There are lots of evidence in historical arts that women wore trousers as far back as even before Jesus came.

2. Deuteronomy 22 is a Chapter with 30 verses all giving commandments to be obeyed by the Israelites in those days. They include commandments like,

Verse 9: Do not plant two kinds of seed in your vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the vineyard will be defiled.

Verse 11: Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.

Verse 12: Make tassels on the four corners of the cloak you wear e.t.c

The chapter even advocates for the stoning to death of a woman found not to be a virgin on her wedding night. So my question is why do some Christians zero in on only verse five and try to condemn people with it? Why not advocate for the implementation of the entire commandments in that chapter of the Bible? After all, Jesus said if you fail in one, you have failed in all.

My advice to Christians is that Jesus came and became a fulfillment of the law, in other words, he fulfilled all the requirements of the law and introduced an era of grace where it is faith in Him and not observance of the law that brings salvation. It is a deception by the enemy to make us believe that after receiving salvation by grace through faith in Christ, we need to maintain that salvation by trying to observe all old testament laws and commandments.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by solutionmi: 8:31am On Feb 17, 2019
good talk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by ojimbo(m): 8:47am On Feb 17, 2019
Religion can be describe as a social madness accepted by many

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by shadeze: 8:47am On Feb 17, 2019
I don't even waste my time listening to all these people who only preach don't wear this, don't wear that. No where in the Bible is it written that women can't wear trousers

19 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Richdad50(m): 8:47am On Feb 17, 2019
I wonder why there is no
"I believe that there is no Allah but God"
"I believe that Jesus is God's only Son."
"I believe that Christianity is the Only True Religion."
"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh is a useless phrase"
The moderators restrict Muslim posts and allow you to tongue lash the gospel. Keep commenting

#Richdad

92 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by freemanbubble: 8:47am On Feb 17, 2019
Okay
Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by rentAcock(m): 8:47am On Feb 17, 2019
Its not my job to judge anyone because the old and new testaments seem to contradict themselves sometimes so I say just follow your heart and try to do right. But on Judgement day, i'm afraid that many people may be turned away from the gates of heaven because of these conflicting interpretations.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by ednut1(m): 8:48am On Feb 17, 2019
Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to the foreigner residing in any of your towns, and they may eat it, or you may sell it to any other foreigner. But you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk.

If a book contains such verses i dont think i shud take it serious

8 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
coming
Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Hoodbilonia: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
Doctrine of man
Africa is cursed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Sultty(m): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
Women should not wear men's clothing. That's what my Bible says, so if God does not like it it's better to do as it's said to avoid sin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by godwinstringed1(m): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
No it's not.

Breaking Notice: If you are a business owner, either online or offline; If money making and creation of customers is your hobby,..... www.ideaflavour.com is your home, as it regularly updates on how entrepreneurs can be the best version of themselves and Make more customers, viewers, listeners, readers and audiences.... You can bookmark the blog

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by JChnsc19: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
There are verses that make it seem as if it still is in effect. Like Psalm 119:151-153 “...and all thy commandments are truth. Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them FOREVER. Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget the law.”

And 1 Chronicles 16:15 “He remembers his covenant forever, the promise he made, for a thousand generations.”

Matthew 5:18 “Till heaven & earth pass away, not one jot or tittle of the law will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.” -Jesus

So y’all better get a stonin’ your sassy teenagers & stop wearing mixed fabrics STAT!

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by hopeforcharles(m): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
Maybe or maybenot
Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by starbuck(f): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
Its a sin if you don't mind your business

8 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by mrwonlasewonie: 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
Is it a sin to use your brain and stop blindly following indoctrinations and dogmas of men?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by chiteny(m): 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
If you are still operating under the law, then yes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
OP, if you had done your homework properly, you'll learn that women started wearing trousers before men.
Gullah:
There has always been heated arguments among Christians and Christian denominations as regards the position of the Bible on wearing of trousers by women. I also had been conflicted about this at certain stages of my development as a Christian but after thorough and thoughtful examination of this matter, I came to a conclusion and I will outline my own argument on this issue with this thread.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

This Bible passage above is where the entire controversy over appropriateness of Christian women wearing trousers or not emanate from

1. Note that it made not specifically talking about women wearing trousers, it does not even mention the word trouser as it wasn't even in existence then. It was talking about what we call Cross-dressing today so the question is should women wearing trousers today be seen as an example of cross dressing?

Trousers were not our clothing in this part of the world, it was a dressing we borrowed from western culture so if we are to determine if it is male or female clothing or not, we need to look to those that own the culture. From my research, the earliest appearance of trousers in human history were in Asia and much later in Europe and much of what we call the western world today.

The question is did women wear trousers in Asia and the western world or was it only for men? The truth is their women wore trousers and it is not a modern thing, they had been wearing trousers long before Christianity came to Nigeria. If Among the people that invented this trousers, women wear trousers, how did Africans who borrowed the culture come to conclude that it is only a man's wear? There are lots of evidence in historical arts that women wore trousers as far back as even before Jesus came.

2. Deuteronomy 22 is a Chapter with 30 verses all giving commandments to be obeyed by the Israelites in those days. They include commandments like,

Verse 9: Do not plant two kinds of seed in your vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the vineyard will be defiled.

Verse 11: Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.

Verse 12: Make tassels on the four corners of the cloak you wear e.t.c

The chapter even advocates for the stoning to death of a woman found not to be a virgin on her wedding night. So my question is why do some Christians zero in on only verse five and try to condemn people with it? Why not advocate for the implementation of the entire commandments in that chapter of the Bible? After all, Jesus said if you fail in one, you have failed in all.

My advice to Christians is that Jesus came and became a fulfillment of the law, in other words, he fulfilled all the requirements of the law and introduced an era of grace where it is faith in Him and not observance of the law that brings salvation. It is a deception by the enemy to make us believe that after receiving salvation by grace through faith in Christ, we need to maintain that salvation by trying to observe all old testament laws and commandments.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Scatterscatter(m): 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
Any Christian that condemns females wearing trousers is either ignorant or overzealous.

Such Christians don't have the Holy Spirit neither do they know Christ personally.

Check it well, such Christians are followers of Pastors, not Jesus.

Such Christians are the pharisees and sadusees and Hypocrites the Bible talks about.

Wearing of trousers has absolutely noting to do with one's salvation or holiness, but in all, modesty is of the essence. The same way we have seductive
Skirts is the same way we have seductive trousers.

What should be preached is MODESTY, either for skirt or trousers.

47 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by TEYA: 8:50am On Feb 17, 2019
Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by raphieMontella: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2019
funny...

the Romans wore skirts...

even your so called Jesus wore a "gown"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by blockchain: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2019
Clothes are solely for covering the human body..Religion don brain-wash una finish

7 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by fxx2: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2019
Dress responsibly.

Sometimes, some trousers are far better than some skirts/ gowns.

5 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2019
This is the picture of a decent Christian bride and her chief bride's maid. That is the standard for true Christian dressing, anything more is carnal. Trousers are for men! Christian women must dress decently.

6 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Grace001: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2019
B
Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Mintum: 8:51am On Feb 17, 2019
Chosen and Deeper life members will not like this. Even our resident pharisees of nairaland Mr. Albhagdadi will not be happy with this

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by ct2: 8:52am On Feb 17, 2019
go to church

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 8:52am On Feb 17, 2019
It's not.

Trousers were made for both men and women.

What baffles me is how someone is still asking this kind of question, when were you born?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why You Should Beware Of The Kind Of Prayer You Say On December 31st / Paul Enenche Gets Chieftaincy Title (PHOTOS) / Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.