Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,751 members, 7,802,302 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History (18803 Views)

China Limits Video Gaming Hours For Minors To Three Hours A Week / Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments / 9 Most Satisfying Villain Deaths In Video Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 10:19am On Feb 17, 2019
Vasaratti

For a new game, it's really hard not to get hyped. This doubles for your favorite franchise's latest installment. The devs and gaming companies do all they can to make their games look cool and sometimes they succeed. I can't tell you how many times after watching a gaming trailer I felt goosebumps run up my arms. Then there's the demos, the betas, the interviews and every other piece of promotional material that quickly gets the hype trains off the rails. Gamers ' expectations for a game often far exceed the reality. So, when the game finally comes out, the ideals we set for it can never be met.

The games on this list ended up up here because the the developers were lying off their freaking butts. All too often it happens. A game developer makes outstanding claims they can never meet. They lie straight up in some instances. It has become so bad that most gamers now know so they don't trust E3 demos.
Rarely do we see what we get. Gaming companies are prepared to do everything they need to sell more games. It's all about their bottom line:

Who cares about the gamer?

All games on this list can be played on one console or the other. Heck, one of them for crying out loud launched for the NES, that's how old this problem is. It doesn't help that the video game companies with their lies often get away. These are the 6 biggest lies told straight to our face.
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 10:36am On Feb 17, 2019
#6: Alien Colonial Marines: A Totally Different Game From What Was Promised
This broke the hearts of xenomorph fans and 80s children. When Gearbox and Sega started showing their game's early footage, it looked like what we were all waiting for: an action - packed, dynamic, realistic and beautiful game set in the "Alien" universe. What we have much less. The graphics were toned down on release, the lighting effects were reduced or missing, and the game looked almost entirely different. Above all, the A.I. Characters knew only a limited number of commands. What was promised was a cry far from what had been delivered.

The game was so bad that it almost looked like an upgraded version of an N64 game

The difference between marketing, trailers and release was so obvious that it resulted in a rather expensive lawsuit between Gearbox and publishers, Sega - one that Gearbox barely escaped.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 10:41am On Feb 17, 2019
#5: PS3 At 120FPS

When discussing the merits of console versus PC gaming, FPS, or "frames - per - second," is often a contentious point of discussion. Some people claim that the human eye can see only 30 fps, while others swear by the smoothness of 60 fps. One thing is certain, either way, it takes some heavy graphic horsepower to push frame rates past 60 on very high settings. That's why people were surprised and skeptical when Ken Kutaragi said the PS3 could run at 120 fps was unlikely. For even the most expensive custom PCs, this would be high. The PlayStation 2 has never lived up to that promise in its lifetime.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 11:02am On Feb 17, 2019
#4: Everything Peter Molyneux Says

Peter Molyneux is a fantastic example of hyperbole and false promises, the creator of the critically acclaimed action role - the "Fable" game. Despite being well received, reviews noted that several promised features were missing. Such things as planting a tree and watching it grow during the lifetime of your character have gone. Peter also promised a demo named Project Natal with a sophisticated A.I. - later renamed Project Milo. Interact with an individual and answer questions. It turned out to be just a tech demo. Even when he went to Kickstarter for "Godus," people were willing to fund his project, despite his track record.

Unfortunately, Molyneux abandoned the project, backers asked for their money, and critics and gamers panned "Godus" upon release.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 11:11am On Feb 17, 2019
#3 The " Detailed" Lies in Destiny

Hey, who remembers that fantastic sci - fi, first - person MMORPG console shooter that was supposed to compete with World of Warcraft and was content enough to make players happy for the next ten years? Nobody? Well, Destiny was the game that promised this. That's right people, Destiny should last ten years. Whereas, it took just a couple of days for the game to reach it peak angry It had only a few raids. The planets were so scarce that I'd laugh if I weren't too busy crying about my wasted money. undecided

The supposed MMORPG had no auction house or even basic trading of players. Many players claimed that Destiny improved once it had some expansions. However, there have never been any of the basic problems

Thanks to Kotaku's fantastically revealing exposé of the reality of making Destiny, we now know that the game was completely destroyed just months before its release. However, Bungie and Activision did not stop selling a lie to the general public, talking about how the game was so expansive, "every gun will have a story," even using footage from cutscens that included characters that were not seen in the final product.

Destiny even opens with a character saying "you don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain," being on the nose when you realize what a fresh hell the development team has gone through. That doesn't change the reality of how much content wasn't present in Destiny's base game, as it would take a string of DLC packs and a solid year of patches and feedback from the community to make Bungie's latest a respectable investment.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Psychodavidovic(m): 11:19am On Feb 17, 2019
That number 10 ehn. grin
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 11:19am On Feb 17, 2019
2: EA Promised A Free Game

When it comes to which platform is best for video gaming, consoles and PC gamers are always at each other's throats. The PC Master race often claims graphic superiority while PlayStation and Xbox fans cling with jealous zeal to their consoles and exclusives. Back in 2011, owners of PlayStation had an opportunity to stick to the rest.

EA announced that each copy of the PlayStation III Battlefield III would be shipped with a free version of Battlefield 1943. Talk about good fortune! The Blu - Ray technology built into the PlayStation provided the devs with sufficient additional space to add free content. Of course, the gamers were left with nothing but empty dreams and crushing disappointment when it came time to deliver.

It turns out, at the last minute, EA changed their minds and never bothered to tell anyone. All owners of PlayStation had to buy the game. Surprisingly, a class action lawsuit against EA was threatened by gamers. EA finally released the game as a free DLC to the owners of PlayStation only after the threat.

1 Like

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by vasaratti: 11:25am On Feb 17, 2019
#1: Microsoft Buying Positive Reviews For The Xbox One

It really makes you wonder: Did Microsoft know they dropped a press conference clanger long before they were reminded by the rest of the world? It certainly feels that way in retrospect, as once one Youtuber blew the whistle on the Microsoft - Machinima partnership, tons of more began to come out of the woodwork.

An excerpt from the "testalising offer" sent to many of Machinima's Youtubers (who should be reviewers of equal opportunities or trusted sources, no less) details how Machinima could actively offer their personalities more money if they said nice things about Xbox products.
Lalasticlala cao

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by tillaman(m): 5:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Gamers over to y’all.
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by CheapDataGuy: 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Microsoft own shock me. Kai
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by ClintonNzedimma(m): 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Can't wait for GTA VI

2 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by OVA200(m): 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
I see these as promise and fail than lie but any which way Everybody be liar only the culprit is guilty.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Babiboy: 5:13pm On Feb 17, 2019
grin
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Snipespeter: 5:13pm On Feb 17, 2019
What do I even know
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by jamalnation(m): 5:14pm On Feb 17, 2019
ok
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by KidsNEXTdoor: 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2019
How can this help send the failure back to retirement

6 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by my2019mind: 5:25pm On Feb 17, 2019
Incoherent write ups.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by error4040: 5:35pm On Feb 17, 2019
Am I the only person who is yet to understand the above write up by the OP ?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by PraiseClef(m): 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2019
Which kind wala be this
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Onyenna(m): 5:40pm On Feb 17, 2019
Huh....
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Bacteriologist(m): 5:43pm On Feb 17, 2019
Any gameshop on the mainland with good PS2 game files? I would like to install some action/adventure games on my flash apart from soccer. But most shops I buy from sell files that are incompatible or damaged and won't load well.

I reside on the mainland and will be present at any shop there to get the files. Provided they're guaranteed to work.
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Petersamuel8(m): 6:01pm On Feb 17, 2019
I no even understand this post

2 Likes

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 17, 2019
I only understand Number one and two

TThe ea sports own is very funny
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by mrMeen(m): 6:22pm On Feb 17, 2019
vasaratti what about no man's sky

1 Like

Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Leonardoreel(m): 8:26pm On Feb 17, 2019
Bacteriologist:
Any gameshop on the mainland with good PS2 game files? I would like to install some action/adventure games on my flash apart from soccer. But most shops I buy from sell files that are incompatible or damaged and won't load well.

I reside on the mainland and will be present at any shop there to get the files. Provided they're guaranteed to work.

I have one of the best gametech engr on mainland, he has every games you desire to play on ps2, 3 & 4..
He's located in Army shopping arena...
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Spidermon: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2019
Leonardoreel:

I have one of the best gametech engr on mainland, he has every games you desire to play on ps2, 3 & 4..
He's located in Army shopping arena...

Drop his contact details na
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Leonardoreel(m): 9:10pm On Feb 17, 2019
Spidermon:

His name is olly
0803 283 4399
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Leonardoreel(m): 9:11pm On Feb 17, 2019
Spidermon:

His name is olly
0803 283 4399
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Amoreapp: 9:12pm On Feb 17, 2019
Hey! I just created an app and would love for you guys to check it out, its about healthy eating.
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Spidermon: 10:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
Leonardoreel:

His name is olly
0803 283 4399

OK. I know him. Thanks
Re: 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History by Leonardoreel(m): 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
Spidermon:

OK. I know him. Thanks

You do and you still looking out for gametech engr?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For Used Ps3 To Buy.... / Is It Safe To Connect A Hacked PS4 To The Internet / Software For Playing Pirated Ps2 Cd's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.