Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island (49519 Views)

10 Reasons Nigerian Immigrants Would Enjoy Canada / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / "This Video Depicts The Daily Lagos Life. 2 Different Fights In 1 Minute" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Opinionated: 6:16pm On Feb 17, 2019
If you are not living on the Island side of Lagos, especially VI-Ikoyi-Lekki-Ajah axis, you may be missing the following:

1.Fresher air and sands: Truth be told, there is this special air you feel on entering Island, starting from Bonny cantonment, or, especially, entering through Ikoyi. Island generally has fresher air. Mainland air can be thicker and more polluted. Even the sands on the Island are fresher - the white, beach-type sands everywhere compared to the dirty brown sands of Mainland. There is even less noise on the Island. Less indiscriminate honking of vehicle horns by hardened drivers that are the kings of the roads on the Mainland, more neighbourhoods using soundproof generators, etc.

2. Less aggressive LASTMA: LASTMA, the Lagos traffic police, are generally more gentle and less aggressive than on Mainland. In fact, apart from a few spots on the Lekki-Ajah expressway, you hardly see LASTMA guys on Island. You hardly see LASTMA arguing with people. You hardly also come across VIO and other traffic law enforcement agents. Perhaps because Island drivers are more law abiding? Perhaps because of potential of the driver of that private car being a big man?

3. More exotic autos: Driving on VI-Lekki-Ikoyi axis on a Sunday evening can be therapeutic. You see fine cars being driven by young and upwardly mobile folks. You don't get much of that on the Mainland except in a couple of places.

4. Less heavy trucks: Until very recently due to Dangote refinery construction, you hardly see heavy duty vehicles on the Island. Although you now see a couple of them, usually late in the night, on Lekki-Epe expressway, the situation is still far better than in many parts of the Mainland.

5. Better security at night: You can drive around  late in night on the Island with little worry about security. You see heavily armed security men at almost every turning late into the night. If you are a night crawler, you have little worry on the Island as you are almost always covered.

6. No yellow buses: Let's face it, those yellow buses are an eyesore. No wonder the state government banned them from entering Island.

7. More orderly traffic: While there is traffic on the Island as it is on Mainland, there is hardly complete lock-down on the Island. No matter how bad, the traffic will still be moving. Island traffic is more orderly. Probably because there are more corporate gentlemen as road users. A major source of traffic on the Mainland is breakdown of one long articulated truck, you hardly see that on the Island. Add the fact that there are less trucks and carelessly driven yellow buses, and you will understand why Island traffic "schooled abroad" while that of Mainland "schooled" in you-know-where.

8. Less one-chance: Cases of one-chance, robbery using public transportation system, while they exist, are far less heard of on the Island.

9. Less traffic robbery:  Cases of brazen robbery inside traffic are very few and far between on the Island, although they exist.

10. Natural swimming pool: Okay, you may not miss this: your street (or even bedroom) turning into swimming pool at the slightest downpour!

Any other thing we have missed?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/living-on-the-island-10-things-lagos-mainlanders-are-missing/

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Wizklynd23(m): 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2019
grin
Why should I stay in island undecided
When mainland sweet pass
Modified: FTC for the Fourth time Today cheesy cheesy
Never knew this will hit frontpage wink

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by freemanbubble: 11:05pm On Feb 17, 2019
The whole of Lagos have always been a shiiit hole. Whether main land or island

Went there as a Bini boy last year. In fact it was the day that tanker explosion happened
And i must tell you Lagos is overrated. Too dirty and noisy.

When i entered Abuja same last year November because i wanted an instant passport because there was no booklet in Edo state that was when i knew the difference between Abuja and Lagos

It was even more obvious to me that Edo was actually bigger than Lagos. It took like forever to leave Edo land when you are going to Abuja. All those Edo north was like forever. So Lagos is just one small shiiit hole place that is overcrowded.

Abuja is too good to be compared with that shiiit hole called lagos

261 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by aku626(m): 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
This is unbelievable silly,
OP hasn’t been to many places on the island. You want to relocate cause you want to see fine car
Because of lastma that won’t bother you if you’re doing the right thing. Because of fresh air and sand not considering floods and expense?
Not your fault OP, you’re yet to start life

273 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by lathrowinger: 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by tempex88(m): 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
Hiss

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by ainas247: 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
cheesy You just listed 10 reasons why I shouldnt move to island..

Rank your business on Google and get more clients check my profile to see new results

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
Like for mainland, Share for island

232 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by LarryHooper: 11:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
I was at berger the other day looking for a bus to iyana ipaja then I asked one woman where the bus was heading to then she said "Lagos". I was like wtf. Which part of Lagos na abi no be Lagos we dey again ni then she specified Lagos island. So na only people wey dey live for island dey Lagos. Funny enough she isn't the first person I'm hearing that kind of stuff from.

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Down pour

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by MisterGrace: 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Different strokes for different folks.

Got a job of 60k in Lagos in 2011. My first week was enough.

I resigned almost immediately and returned back to Abuja.

It seemed like rapture was always taking place. Everyone always in a hurry.

Less friendly bus drivers and conductors. Every passerby were treated as suspects.

On the other hand, a friend of mine whom the company he's working for rented an 800k apartment for him in Wuse II Abuja. Dude worked his transfer back to Lagos and went to rent a house in Oshodi. Damn!

He said, he liked Lagos life better.

If I don't have enough money to stay on the Island, I better remain in my state capital. Shioor!

111 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by ehgoril: 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
In fact one million reasons

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by omatech: 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Hm..
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by BRRR: 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Here to book space
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by yeballs(m): 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Like seriously... Island is too fake and expensive!!!!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
Anything wey go make me go mainland from island , e better make I relocate from Lagos comot.

24 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by babaforex100: 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ok

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by 2gbasky22(m): 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
Street life is the best Jare.

boredom go kee you there (Island)

the lifestyle on the mainland is what makes Lagos what it is
NB

We're still sending Buhari back to Daura
they only postponed the inevitable

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by OboOlora(f): 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ok
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Davico(m): 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
over hyped island

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by sammyscholar(m): 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
I am just here to gather likes, because I know the post is a front page material.

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
If you don't have savings upwards of N5 million and a good paying job, don't bother.

As you go, na him you go come.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by DemigodZeus147(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
The ocean is coming to claim its land soon...Spits*

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by jaxxy(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
I see
Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by jude33084(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Sick!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by daftpikin: 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Opinionated:
If you are not living on the Island side of Lagos, especially VI-Ikoyi-Lekki-Ajah axis, you may be missing the following:

1.Fresher air and sands: Truth be told, there is this special air you feel on entering Island, starting from Bonny cantonment, or, especially, entering through Ikoyi. Island generally has fresher air. Mainland air can be thicker and more polluted. Even the sands on the Island are fresher - the white, beach-type sands everywhere compared to the dirty brown sands of Mainland. There is even less noise on the Island. Less indiscriminate honking of vehicle horns by hardened drivers that are the kings of the roads on the Mainland, more neighbourhoods using soundproof generators, etc.

2. Less aggressive LASTMA: LASTMA, the Lagos traffic police, are generally more gentle and less aggressive than on Mainland. In fact, apart from a few spots on the Lekki-Ajah expressway, you hardly see LASTMA guys on Island. You hardly see LASTMA arguing with people. You hardly also come across VIO and other traffic law enforcement agents. Perhaps because Island drivers are more law abiding? Perhaps because of potential of the driver of that private car being a big man?

3. More exotic autos: Driving on VI-Lekki-Ikoyi axis on a Sunday evening can be therapeutic. You see fine cars being driven by young and upwardly mobile folks. You don't get much of that on the Mainland except in a couple of places.

4. Less heavy trucks: Until very recently due to Dangote refinery construction, you hardly see heavy duty vehicles on the Island. Although you now see a couple of them, usually late in the night, on Lekki-Epe expressway, the situation is still far better than in many parts of the Mainland.

5. Better security at night: You can drive around  late in night on the Island with little worry about security. You see heavily armed security men at almost every turning late into the night. If you are a night crawler, you have little worry on the Island as you are almost always covered.

6. No yellow buses: Let's face it, those yellow buses are an eyesore. No wonder the state government banned them from entering Island.

7. More orderly traffic: While there is traffic on the Island as it is on Mainland, there is hardly complete lock-down on the Island. No matter how bad, the traffic will still be moving. Island traffic is more orderly. Probably because there are more corporate gentlemen as road users. A major source of traffic on the Mainland is breakdown of one long articulated truck, you hardly see that on the Island. Add the fact that there are less trucks and carelessly driven yellow buses, and you will understand why Island traffic "schooled abroad" while that of Mainland "schooled" in you-know-where.

8. Less one-chance: Cases of one-chance, robbery using public transportation system, while they exist, are far less heard of on the Island.

9. Less traffic robbery:  Cases of brazen robbery inside traffic are very few and far between on the Island, although they exist.

10. Natural swimming pool: Okay, you may not miss this: your street (or even bedroom) turning into swimming pool at the slightest downpour!

Any other thing we have missed?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/living-on-the-island-10-things-lagos-mainlanders-are-missing/

Hope you’re not counting all those Ajah side as island sha

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Lewise9: 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Number 10 though is one serious issue facing the Island
That's why u have more SUVs on the Island than Mainland

1 Like

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by ThinkWISELY(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Na so i hear this kain advice enter Island too.....now everything tripple cost here angry

Thinking of relocating back to ikeja

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Nobody: 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
No be everybody for island get money sha.

18 Likes

Re: Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island by Flexherbal(m): 11:10pm On Feb 17, 2019
Noted!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Lady Boards Flight To Ibadan, Arik Plane Lands In Ilorin / Which Country Has The Most Nigerian Immigrants / I Was Denied A Schengen Visa Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.