Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

BBC - Boy 'scared' After Finding Racist Graffiti At Salford Flats - No Blacks - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / BBC - Boy 'scared' After Finding Racist Graffiti At Salford Flats - No Blacks (478 Views)

Foreign Company In Ghana Put Up A Job Ad That Says: NO BLACKS ALLOWED / Whites Kneel Before Blacks To Beg For Forgiveness For Years Of Racism In Houston / Macdonald In China Apologizes For Saying Blacks Not Allowed In Their Restaurant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BBC - Boy 'scared' After Finding Racist Graffiti At Salford Flats - No Blacks by AfroBlue(m): 7:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
hot off the cyber newswires.

Boy 'scared' after finding racist graffiti at Salford flats

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-47270531?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

A 10-year-old boy says he is "too scared" to walk to school after racist graffiti was daubed outside his home.

David Yamba found "No Blacks" painted on three doors in his block of flats in Salford on 8 February, five days after his family had moved in.

His father Jackson reported it to Greater Manchester Police on the same day but said on Saturday they "still haven't been here to investigate".

The force has since apologised and said it would review its approach.

Recalling when he found the graffiti before going to school, David said: "I started crying because I thought that something was going to happen to me or they may have been waiting there.

"I got frightened and I was holding my dad's shirt becauseā€¦ I didn't want to get hurt."

"I kept asking my daddy was the police going to arrive yet."

His father Jackson, who is training to become a lawyer, said the police worker who took his call was "quite nice [...] she told me that they would be sending someone over".

But he said there was then "no phone call, no visit, nothing at all" until he tweeted about it on Saturday night.

Responding to Mr Yamba's posts, GMP chief constable Ian Hopkins apologised on Twitter, saying: "That is frankly just not good enough. There may have been other issues at the time, but we should have followed up quickly. It's an appalling crime you and your family have suffered."

Adding there had been "104 open incidents in Salford that morning", he wrote: "It was dealt with on the telephone initially in agreement with the victim. It is after that we have failed to follow up quickly enough."

Ch Insp David Gilbride, who visited Mr Yamba at his flat on Sunday, said: "This is an abhorrent crime and there is no room for hatred and prejudice in our society.

"We always strive to provide the best possible service to the public that we can, and provide an appropriate and expedient response.

"Where we fall short of this, we will review our approach and look to learn from it."

Hate crimes

GMP recorded 2,720 hate crime cases in 2013 and 7,526 in 2017
After the 2017 Manchester terror attack, the force said it received an increase in reports
There were 94,098 hate crimes recorded by the police in England and Wales in 2017-18, of which 76% were categorised as race hate offences
The overall figure reflects a 17% rise on the previous year
The Home Office said the increase was "thought to be largely driven by improvements in police recording, although there has been spikes in hate crime following certain events such as the EU Referendum and the terrorist attacks in 2017"
Fewer people are being charged with racially and religiously aggravated hate crimes in England and Wales, despite a two-fold increase in reports
Ch Insp Gilbride appealed for information, saying he would ensure this incident was "fully investigated as a hate crime".

Andy Burnham, mayor of Greater Manchester, tweeted: "This has no place whatsoever in Greater Manchester. Glad GMP investigating but Chief Constable right to inquire why this wasn't done sooner."

shocked

Re: BBC - Boy 'scared' After Finding Racist Graffiti At Salford Flats - No Blacks by Wizklynd23(m): 7:10pm On Feb 17, 2019
shocked
Too Bad
Re: BBC - Boy 'scared' After Finding Racist Graffiti At Salford Flats - No Blacks by okwabayi(m): 10:13pm On Feb 17, 2019
This is called trolling.
Brits know how sensitive race matters are around the world.
They use it as a means to kill the boredom of living in a first world country.
If the people in authority catch one person and use him or her as a scapegoat the situation go die completely.

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis Kisses The Feet Of South Sudan's President And Others (photos) / Breaking : Iraq Protesters Attack And Burn Down US Embassy In Baghdad / China Conducts Trial Operation On Its First Electric Passenger Ship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.