Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 (4083 Views)

Tunde Delu Organises Three-Team Competition To Promote Rugby In Nigeria (Pics) / NBA Announces Basketball Africa League To Start In 2020; Barack Obama Involved / NBA, FIBA Launching 12-team Basketball Africa League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by demolinka(m): 8:54am On Feb 18, 2019
The National Basketball Association and the International Basketball Federation are to launch a professional league in Africa in January 2020.

The Basketball Africa League (BAL) will feature 12 teams from at least six African countries.

Fiba Africa's executive director, Alphonse Bile, said the league will help players compete in the "best possible environment".

Charlotte Hornets' Bismack Biyombo is one of 13 African players in the NBA.

Bile said: "The implementation of this league is vital to our young up-and-coming players in Africa as it gives them something to take aim at."

Fiba secretary general Andreas Zagklis added: "It's a huge joy to see our partnership with the NBA enter unchartered territory as we work together for the first time to maximise the potential of professional basketball in Africa."

Former US president Barack Obama has backed the plans, while NBA legend Michael Jordan, who is now the Charlotte Hornets chairman, was at the launch event in North Carolina.

Former US president Barack Obama tweeted his support for the new league

How will the league work?

The NBA and Fiba will conduct qualification tournaments to identify which teams from several African countries, including Angola, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa and Tunisia, can compete in the league.

No more than two teams from the same country will be eligible to play in the league.

The NBA has seen 80 current and former players from Africa or with family links to the continent compete, including Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon from Nigeria and Dikembe Mutombo from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/47272427

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by dominique(f): 9:09am On Feb 18, 2019
Like a champions league for basketballers, that's nice.

6 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by demolinka(m): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2019
Young Jordans, y'all better start working on those hoops. Una time don come

1 Like

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Bizmagnet: 11:16am On Feb 18, 2019
Go Nigeria and win again!

Rewire your business, company, ideas, etc today and give it 21st century audience. Get your website/blog/software now. Check my signature for contacts.
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Leonardoreel(m): 11:17am On Feb 18, 2019
Pls someone should help me with a car to drive on Uber/Taxify,
I can deliver 100k monthly & also maintain the car when due for service.

Pls help me be independent.

4 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Qsscruz(m): 11:17am On Feb 18, 2019
These oyibos keeps bringing up ideas on things that concerns us..That goes on to show that an average African man only thinks about his stomach and tribalism wont let us grow..The idea is a good one..I hope it can be sustained...

The thread is talking about NBA coming to Africa..Why are you ranting about people who doesnt know you exist?

dataking:
If it those iPob youths now and Abdul Hakeem Olajuwon was an Igbo name. We for no hear word. You for dey hear Igbo Amaka up and down. As if other tribes no get talented sons. Anthony Joshua na another one. We no dey too boast. We get them plenty.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by dataking: 11:18am On Feb 18, 2019
If it those iPob youths now and Abdul Hakeem Olajuwon was an Igbo name. We for no hear word. You for dey hear Igbo Amaka up and down. As if other tribes no get talented sons. Anthony Joshua na another one. We no dey too boast. We get them plenty.

3 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Chinashopping84: 11:18am On Feb 18, 2019
Good development

check my siggy..
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Wizklynd23(m): 11:19am On Feb 18, 2019
cheesy
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 18, 2019
I LOVE THIS . ANYWAY DUKE AND NBA HERE I COME!
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by sukerefakere(m): 11:19am On Feb 18, 2019
Backward continent
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Jabar2017: 11:20am On Feb 18, 2019
Chaii my time don go,I no fit play basketball again after I don born two kid...my height don waste...

2 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 18, 2019
Yeah brah
demolinka:
Young Jordans, y'all better start working on those hoops. Una time don come

4 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by netflicks(m): 11:22am On Feb 18, 2019
Leonardoreel:
Pls someone should help me with a car to drive on Uber/Taxify,
I can deliver 100k monthly & also maintain the car when due for service.

Pls help me be independent.

100k monthly shocked bros easy na

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by shine12: 11:23am On Feb 18, 2019
I'm a basketball fan but as an African, I still don't know why Africa cannot run a good and efficient basketball league and why the NBA needs to come to Africa to run a basketball league.

5 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by freemanbubble: 11:23am On Feb 18, 2019
Okay

Basket ball the big boys and fine boys game

Wait o

Una nor dey fix this problem?

1 Like

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Topmaike007(m): 11:23am On Feb 18, 2019
dominique:
Like a champions league for basketballers, that's nice.
happy birthday.....
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Blinkfine: 11:24am On Feb 18, 2019
cool

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by seunfly: 11:30am On Feb 18, 2019
Ok
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by vibbb: 11:36am On Feb 18, 2019
Barack Obama has backed plans for a new basketball league in Africa and is set to take up a role with the project.

The former US president shared his support for the collaboration between the NBA and the basketball’s global governing body FIBA to create an elite competition involving several African countries.
Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 18, 2019
shine12:
I'm a basketball fan but as an African, I still don't know why Africa cannot run a good and efficient basketball league and why the NBA needs to come to Africa to run a basketball league.
Same reason our leaders can't do anything right. Corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Basketball Africa League: Professional Competition To Launch In 2020 by RTSC: 1:12pm On Feb 18, 2019
dataking:
The vast majority of the Nigerian basket ball players in both male and female category are igbos.
They have won laurels for Nigeria.

Hakeem alone cannot make a team.
What would it profit you to have one Hakeem and the rest are mediocre?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch Dstv And IPTV Channel Free / Lagerback Will Fail Nigeria - Amodu / See What Ronaldo's Mum Said When He Got Injured That Keeps The Media Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.