Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,193 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? (770 Views)

Did You Know Yoruba Language Is Just Around 800 Years Old? / Do I Call A Woman Who Is 5 Years Older Than Me Aunty? / Do I Call A Woman Who Is 5 Years Older Than Me Aunty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by Nobody: 5:38am On Feb 19, 2019
Thanks
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by Nackzy: 5:40am On Feb 19, 2019
In Nigeria Age is just a number
Who get money na him old
Who get money na him them dh call oga for here
English Boss
You dare not call his real name
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by Chuks9000: 5:41am On Feb 19, 2019
Sharla87:
Thanks
Yes.
Culture mix had adulterated our morals.
Why will any sane person drop his/her name for uncle/aunty?
In the corporate world, you address even the MDs by their first name.
It is not out of place to use a name that the person has worked for eg prof, dr, chief, senator, etc.
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 19, 2019
even if the person is "a day" older than u,

its very wrong to address them DIRECTLY by their name
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by chiommy123(f): 6:44am On Feb 19, 2019
No! You call them by their spirit name
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by OneCorner: 7:48am On Feb 19, 2019
chiommy123:
No! You call them by their spirit name

Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 19, 2019
Why is it here you jobless people can only give u serious answers
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by googi: 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2019
Why do some of you claim what you have little experience with?

Which corporate world, where?

Obviously some of you have only worked in the factory or service jobs where anything goes until you climb their corporate ladder.

Not only do you call them Mr. Ms. Sir and Ma'am, you become obsequious looking for promotion.

When they come to Nigeria, they start applying
corporate culture blindly.

Chuks9000:

Yes.
Culture mix had adulterated our morals.
Why will any sane person drop his/her name for uncle/aunty?
In the corporate world, you address even the MDs by their first name.
It is not out of place to use a name that the person has worked for eg prof, dr, chief, senator, etc.
Re: If Someone Is 5 Years Old Than You, Can You Call Them By First Name? by Chuks9000: 3:16am On Feb 20, 2019
googi:
Why do some of you claim what you have little experience with?

Which corporate world, where?

Obviously some of you have only worked in the factory or service jobs where anything goes until you climb their corporate ladder.

Not only do you call them Mr. Ms. Sir and Ma'am, you become obsequious looking for promotion.

When they come to Nigeria, they start applying
corporate culture blindly.

Apparently, you are not up to 18 years. Hence I'll over look your judgemental comments on experience and place of work.
I earlier said something about those who have earned some position. My overall boss is a GM and we all refer to him by his first name with oga in front (oga xyz for instance) just because of "African respect". Moreover, the HR policy says address your colleagues on first name basis.
If you happen to visit your elderly friends or relatives at their work, you'll notice that a boss far younger than his/her subordinate does not bother with the Mr or Mrs titles while addressing them.

As a matter of fact, it depends on the individual.

We igbos will address the titled people by their "title name". Use first name for whoever is on your "level" or below no matter the age.

(1) (Reply)

Benin Moat Is The Greatest Man Made Structure On The Planet. Guinness World Reco / Most Valuable And Outstanding Nairalanders ( Award Photo ) / T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.