Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown (18605 Views)

Court Declares Sowore's 2019 Arrest Illegal, Awards Damages Against DSS / Sowore 2019: Stop Voting For Ancestors Interested In Ruling Nigeria Forever. / Atiku Approves N33,000 Minimum Wage For All 100,000 Staff On His Payroll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 9:49pm On Feb 20, 2019
Newboss:

That's a lie. Take that to the bank!

You guys are being played. Tax collection rate was not what he was referring to as being at 6%. That's at best a handful of companies. How many companies do we have in Nigeria that deduct taxes that we're talking about tax collection rate?

His plan is to increase tax but he has enough sense not to say it. angry

Is it Atiku that we should believe or Buhari. So you know, Sowore don't have the blood of Nigerians on his hand and he is not tired and haggard.

And no matter what you say, the facts cannot change from the fact that we have MNCs and local companies operating with impunity, they don't pay tax, and collude with our hungry civil servants to corner the little they pay.

Sowore will stop all the corruption and increase collection rate to serve the needy. He will improve efficiency and diversity the economy.

All Nigeria needs is wealth distribution, someone already mentioned that to you.

1 Like

Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Nobody: 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2019
Ventura1:
Breakdown of expenses of an average Nigerian

Feeding (assuming 1K/day) = N30,000/month
Transportation (500/day) = N15,000/month
House rent = N10,000/month
Electricity = N5,000
Children sch fees & exp. = N10,000
Miscallenous = N15,000
Health = N10,000

What is left in 100K? This is what an average Nigerian required to live decently in Nigeria.

Someone remind mean of tithe and other religious givings.....
Still better than 18k minimum wage. Even from your analysis it shows that an average Nigeria earns more than the minimum wage. The minimum wage enters the minimum amount an employee should earn. It not necessarily cut across other levels as you try to buttress
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Newboss(m): 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2019
ItzBIM:

OMG just watch the video even Kadaria thought he said he was increasing tax, but he corrected her immediately.

You Nigerians are just mysterious in ur way of thinking, imaging putting words in someone’s mouth.
Your first paragraph is why I told you he's playing young people. He has enough sense to keep his cards close.

By the time he sees the reality of what's on ground vs what's in his head, that's when you'll know that he's as ignorant as Buhari was in 2015. angry
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by ItzBIM(m): 9:59pm On Feb 20, 2019
Newboss:

Your first paragraph is why I told you he's playing young people. He has enough sense to keep his cards close.

By the time he sees the reality of what's on ground vs what's in his head, that's when you'll know that he's as ignorant as Buhari was in 2015. angry

Young man watch the video and see why she misquoted him.

Stop being an online physiatrist here.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 20, 2019
JOMAX:

Sowore will lead Nigeria in 2023! God willing. The task of kicking Buhari out is a task without compromise. That is the only reason why majority of the opposition are voting Atiku now. 2023 will be a game changer. Hopefully oil would have lost its value significantly by then so the masses will think better and money politics will take back seats.

Mistake.

Letting PDP , a party that swore to rule Nigeria for 60years, back through the door is going to be catastrophic.

They made a mistake in Jonathan, they will never ever willingly relinquish power again should they get it back. Why do you think PDP is so desperate?

God forbid PDP comes back. To do what now? Wasn't 16 years enough to prove to us that they can rule this country? Instead they looted this country into a recession. As at 2014 December/January 2015 the Fg was borrowing money to pay salaries, something that has never happened before.

God forbid PDP. God forbid Atiku.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Chatflick(m): 10:05pm On Feb 20, 2019
tomtos88:

Was asking u, why do u say we should wait for another 4 years of suffering? Wat happens to now? To have a good economy and lift people out of poverty, have to wait for wat? Do u even know if u will be alive in another 4 years?

I will be of course and even 60 years laters... I want to believe you mean well.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 10:21pm On Feb 20, 2019
Newboss:

Tax to GDP ratio is not tax collection rate. What's 6% is our tax to GDP ratio. It's the percentage of the GDP that's from taxes. Meaning only 6% of our GDP comes from taxes. The rest are from other sources like oil, mining, etc.

((Total tax divided by GDP))multiplied by 100).

That's the formula. To increase that figure, either the GDP goes down or the tax collected in a year goes up (while the other stays constant or doesn't change in the reverse direction as much as the other did). To increase tax, you definitely increase the tax rate.

So I see, you don't even understand what he's planning to do.

Also, if you multiply my salary by 5, I will send all my kids to US. I'll buy the latest Benz from US. I'll go to Dubai for vacation every year. The list goes on. Why? I have times 4 as much as I need. I blow that shìt.

Naira will DIE a quick horrible death if that happens. People are using aba made because Gucci ain't cheap compared to how much they earn. The list goes on

It's a vicious cycle of poverty, just that this time, a bread of 300 Naira will become at least 1500 Naira

angry

That is the same way that you people argued that increasing minimum wage to 30,000 will cause this and that. Now, it is N30,000 and it is still nmot enough for people who work decently.

You people should be more worried about the amount of money that your politicians siphon and spent during elections. Do you realize how much politicians distribute at every election cycle?

If you are right about Naira's death, it ought to have died during the 2015 elections and since 1999 when politicians unleash their dirty money on the economy.

Yes, I probably sent the wrong link about tax/GDP, but doesn't change the fact that we have one of the poor collection rates in Africa.

Unless you say that we cannot improve current collection rates, then I will agree that nothing is possible.

But if you agree that we can improve improve efficiency, plug holes and save costs, why is it that we cannot distribute the wealth to those who work hard everyday to generate it for us.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by yinkeys(m): 11:36pm On Feb 20, 2019
A janitor in US embassy here earns over 300k monthly, it is a pity so many Nigerians aren't enlightened enough to know what they deserve as living wage. So sad, if only they can call their friends in Canada & Europe to see how they are faring.
It is sad people are praising (grand fathers) Atiku or Buhari in this digital era.
Many of this buharideens or atikulators need to go to South Africa at least for excursion so you'd realise how citizens are dehumanized here by our leaders.
The world including some African countries like Rwanda & Kenya have really left us behind.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Kposkila: 12:27am On Feb 21, 2019
Luciferchrist66:
What is this afonja saying?
Sai baba will do it.
We are happy with our 30k
what a life!
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by sharpsecret: 12:38am On Feb 21, 2019
Luciferchrist66:
What is this afonja saying?
Sai baba will do it.
We are happy with our 30k
may u receive 30k as salary for d rest of ur life so u can be more happy and eventually pass the 30k to ur children so they too can be happy.amen
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by sharpsecret: 12:42am On Feb 21, 2019
papiwyte:
Next level jor tongue tongue tongue tongue

Febuhari
if dem postpone dis election by 1 more week..i wonder wetin una go call am since we will no longer be in febuhari,maybe una go call am madbuhari sinx we go dey march by then
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Mavo0999: 12:55am On Feb 21, 2019
[b][/b]

Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by OnyesomJ(m): 12:58am On Feb 21, 2019
Only God Knows 2moro... God Nigeria Is in Ur Hands Let Your Will Be Done Not That of Man.. 2days to Election day
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by davien(m): 1:25am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

My brother,

N100k ($280) is well deserved by our workers and you should not listen to anyone saying that it will cause inflation.

Such argument will hold water when there are no growth policies to accompany it.

As it is, Sowore has promised growth in tourism, healthcare, education and so on.
Imagine if our citizens do not take the over billion naira per year abroad for medical tourism, that means that our nurses and doctors can be more productive. That is how production works.
Imagine if we do not all rush to Europe and elsewhere for tourism and go to Obudu, Mambila, Argungu. We go an watch Eyo, Egungun and we all troop to Anambra or Enugu New Yam festival. Then we can boost our local leisure, tourism, travel and hospitality industries and attract more people from abroad.

Imagine, if we can pay teachers well so that they don't go abroad in search of opportunities, that means that we can improve the employability of our youths. That is where production depends.

You people get the concept of "Economic Production" wrong.

It is not simply about buying, or purchasing as such. It is about the effect and the multipliers effect as well. It is also about how the community or a society can balance its supply and demand system, not necessarily through production of goods. In modern economics, you should be concerned about the availability and distribution of services.

What are many Middle Eastern countries producing. What is Europe producing. Britain is only distributing services. When last I checked, Inflation was less than 0.30 percent. Britain's manufacturing sector is less than 4 percent of GDP.

So to refer to your example, if a teacher collects 300,000 per month. It doesn't mean that because there are less goods produced in Nigeria, she will use all of her money to pay for her house rent. That is hyper inflation, and that is Mughabe's kind of careless economics.

What I am saying is that, as long as you have a good healthcare, tourism, education, technology, logistics, and SME sector that is thriving. The economy will do just fine. All of that can be achieved in a short time too.

You should ask how Sowore will improve tourism, technology and the SME sector. If he fumbles in those areas, we can then say that N100k minimum wage is wrong. For me, I case if he will turn Nigeria into a tech, SME and service hub of Africa.

Don't you know Nigerians are the best illiterate literates online? Leave them to their ignorance, they'll keep voting with sentiment and refuse to open an ear to logic..

Universal Basic Income is what sowore is getting at.

For the less informed, Google "universal basic income kurzegesat" and watch the video on how increasing wages this way won't lead to inflation... It's money circulation from undertaxed sectors with rules built in preventing transfer of such taxation to consumers/customers.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by Olumyco(m): 1:50am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

I hope you realise that "Goods" in modern economics is not Goods as in the old economics i.e. tangible products.

Goods now refers to services, experiences, tourism, innovation, technology, distribution, travel, arts, tailoring, administration, construction.... etc. etc.. It has no limit. In Saudi Arabia, one of their goods is the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which creates millions of jobs for their citizens. Britain only has technology and financial services, there are only SME's creating and distributing services.

If that is so, what we then need is a busy/service oriented economy where the tourism sector is working, healthcare is functional, education is thriving, food is being produced and processed, people travelling up and down because there is security and safety.

I think the future Nigerian economy will be super marvelous if we can even add manufacturing and production.

Don't worry too much about inflation or gradualism, tokenism, and all that, we don't need that now. Our GDP is over 1 trillion and is sad that we can't pay our workers common $280 per month. It is a shame on us.

As long as people will stop spending their money going to have holiday abroad and instead patronize local tourism.
As long as people send their kids to school here and not Canada or America.
As long as you are sick and don't have to go get treated in India or America.
As long as we can construct more roads and houses, and hospitals, etc. ..We can sustain even 300k salary per month.
These are the modern economic goods. And this is where the value that our currency will come from.

One more thing, Sowore will not increase salaries from day one, he will of course put some stability measures in place. And there will of course be a central bank that will oversee it all.

We need a revolution. Now!

First of all, it is goods and services. The two are usually written together to mean the two economical product of an economy. All those tourism, health etc which you mentioned are referred to as services. Goods are manufactured products. So they are different.

Secondly the GDP (Nominal) of Nigeria is not up to $1 trillion. We are around $500 billion. Also get this that Sowore did not quote 100k minimum wage based on the GDP factor. He quoted it because of the high salaries of senators and other politicians. Sowore idea of 100k minimum wage is from political/administrative point of view and not economical point of view. When you listen to Sowore he always says wealth creation is not our problem but wealth distribution which I agree. He always talk about the money our senators are earning and so on. The mistake he made was that he and his team ought to have sit down carefully and look at how they could solve the wealth distribution issue with economic intelligence. A good and intelligent solution is a kind of solution that eradicates a problem without creating another. We dont want a solution that will create another problem for us in this country

Lastly, we need a revolution. The guy can activate it... I trust him..and God will help him. But he is not an economist. He needs economic experts to help him out on economic matters. No one is an island.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:03am On Feb 21, 2019
davien:
Don't you know Nigerians are the best illiterate literates online? Leave them to their ignorance, they'll keep voting with sentiment and refuse to open an ear to logic..

Universal Basic Income is what sowore is getting at.

For the less informed, Google "universal basic income kurzegesat" and watch the video on how increasing wages this way won't lead to inflation... It's money circulation from undertaxed sectors with rules built in preventing transfer of such taxation to consumers/customers.

You are very right, the world is talking about Universal Baic Income. Switzerland, Austria and so on trialled a UBI project of over 2500 euroes as salary to all citizens per month. Inflation is the least of the conversations. Sowore is driving at something similar and is proposing only around 200 euroes to my compatriots, every month. Here they are, saying that 200 euroes will cause hyper inflation like Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

Honestly, we are our own biggest enemy. We like to oppose anything new and that can take our shackles away. I have to blame our politicians for enslaving our people's minds and souls.

We need nothing short of a revolution. There is no way we are going to ever convince these zombies that it is possible, but only without the old tired and expired politicians.

1 Like

Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:04am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

It is your type that we must avoid, your type likes to imprison people and deny them of their rights.
You are the type of Nigerian who employ house boys and house girls up and down without paying them their dues.
[b]If everyone gets an automatic raise, won't that automatically increase per capita GDP? [/b]If that happens, won't we alleviate poverty?
Yes, there can be inflation for a short term in case the policy is not well executed, but it can be controlled too in the long term.
And why is it that workers don't deserve 100k but senators in Abuja deserve 14 million per month. Doing what?

U forget that developed countries have a high per capita , not because they pay higher salaries to workers , but because the quantity of goods and services produced is by far larger than that of impoverished countries.

1 Like

Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:09am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

Bad examples, what is the basis of this comparison with Zimbabwe and Venezuela?

Harare was empty for many years, no consistent positive economic policies, production was not boosted and Mughabe was instead behaving like a mad cow, sending farmers away and blocking trade even from other African states.

Venezuela has been in a trade war with the US. Their pain is self inflicted, the US shut them out and Venezuela is not a dynamic economy

I would like to compare Nigeria to UAE and Saudi Arabia, but we will be 10X better if we can get our economy working and save our people from poverty. We are better because, Nigeria's economy has huge potential for growth and we haven't even tapped into tourism, tech, manufacturing, SME's yet. The two countries above can hardly compete with us there but their citizens have above 50 thousand dollars per capita per year. We have less than 5,000 USD per year.

What do they produce? Nothing.

They have only ensured that there is growth in housing, tourism, health, hospitality and elsewhere.

Why do you think that if pay N100k per month, we cannot start providing housing for citizens and and start local production of solar panels, and improve tourism, etc. All of such activities will mop up any inflationary threat.

If you read Sowore's manifesto, these are some of the plans that will accompany his N100k promise.

Think about it, if we produce without making our people afford it, others will come to take advantage of us. But if we can make ourselves afford stuff and follow it up with production, we will be self sustaining.

They produce a ridiculous amount of oil in relation to their tiny population.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:24am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

U forget that developed countries have a high per capita , not because they pay higher salaries to workers , but because the quantity of goods and services produced is by far larger than that of impoverished countries.

I can almost agree with you, let me quote the example of Saudi Arabia and UAE again as I did earlier. Both countries have a huge GDP not because of oil alone. They also have a thriving tourism and hospitality sector. Why that is so is because they have good policies which includes paying good salaries so they can attract quality people to work there.

Up until now, UAE and most Middle East countries literally go out to employ teachers and hotel managers from the western countries. It is those expatriates who get attracted that let them develop their hospitality, leisure and hotel sectors. Everybody want to work in Dubai because they pay well over there.

Effectively, GDP's are built on the value that a quality workforce creates. Same with Silicon Valley, tech companies over there attract top quality people from around the world because they provide the best pay. It is those people that attract more vale and money to Silicon Valley.

It is going to work the same way for Nigeria. If we pay well, we will attract and retain quality people who will work and think innovatively. It is on the back of those that we can build value and increase government income.

So I disagree... human capital investment has to be first before anything.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:30am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

I hope you realise that "Goods" in modern economics is not Goods as in the old economics i.e. tangible products.

Goods now refers to services, experiences, tourism, innovation, technology, distribution, travel, arts, tailoring, administration, construction.... etc. etc.. It has no limit. In Saudi Arabia, one of their goods is the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which creates millions of jobs for their citizens. Britain only has technology and financial services, there are only SME's creating and distributing services.

If that is so, what we then need is a busy/service oriented economy where the tourism sector is working, healthcare is functional, education is thriving, food is being produced and processed, people travelling up and down because there is security and safety.

I think the future Nigerian economy will be super marvelous if we can even add manufacturing and production.

Don't worry too much about inflation or gradualism, tokenism, and all that, we don't need that now. Our GDP is over 1 trillion and is sad that we can't pay our workers common $280 per month. It is a shame on us.

As long as people will stop spending their money going to have holiday abroad and instead patronize local tourism.
As long as people send their kids to school here and not Canada or America.
As long as you are sick and don't have to go get treated in India or America.
As long as we can construct more roads and houses, and hospitals, etc. ..We can sustain even 300k salary per month.
These are the modern economic goods. And this is where the value that our currency will come from.

One more thing, Sowore will not increase salaries from day one, he will of course put some stability measures in place. And there will of course be a central bank that will oversee it all.

We need a revolution. Now!

Stop peddling lies , our gdp is $ 397 billion dollars. , Not 1 trillion
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:34am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

They produce a ridiculous amount of oil in relation to their tiny population.

I believe we are talking of production outside natural resources.. but if you want to include oil... It is a shame for Nigeria then because we sell for the same price they sell. So why is it that people in Riyadh and Dubai get $2000 minimum salary per month and people in Nigeria are hardly getting $40... don't you think it's sad?
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:36am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

I can almost agree with you, let me quote the example of Saudi Arabia and UAE again as I did earlier. Both countries have a huge GDP not because of oil alone. They also have a thriving tourism and hospitality sector. Why that is so is because they have good policies which includes paying good salaries so they can attract quality people to work there.

The contribution of tourism to Saudi gdp is 9 percent , while that of oil is 42 percent , so your point is totally wrong. Even if Saudi had no tourism , they would still be balling.

Saudi is not rich because of tourism .
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:36am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

Stop peddling lies , our gdp is $ 397 billion dollars. , Not 1 trillion

That was a mistake.. you are right about our GDP.
So $300 billion.. why is it that we can't pay $280 per month? Where is all the money?
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:38am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

The contribution of tourism to Saudi gdp is 9 percent , while that of oil is 42 percent , so your point is totally wrong. Even if Saudi had no tourism , they would still be balling.

Saudi is not rich because of tourism .

Where did I say that?
What exactly is your argument?
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:41am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

Effectively, GDP's are built on the value that a quality workforce creates. Same with Silicon Valley, tech companies over there attract top quality people from around the world because they provide the best pay. It is those people that attract more vale and money to Silicon Valley

It is going to work the same way for Nigeria. If we pay well, we will attract and retain quality people who will work and think innovatively. It is on the back of those that we can build value and increase government income.

So I disagree... human capital investment has to be first before anything.

U still don't understand why this technology companies pay well ?

These tech companies aren't owned by the govt .

They pay well in the first place because they make massive profits and they make massive profits because of the immense value or products and services they are able to make.

It's just like me having a company earning 1 million naira every year , and me deciding to pay 1 million dollars to my staff , it's never going to work.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:46am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

That was a mistake.. you are right about our GDP.
So $300 billion.. why is it that we can't pay $280 per month? Where is all the money?

It doesn't work that way . In every society , there is always income inequality , that's just how capitalism works. But its just that in sub Saharan countries especially Nigeria , the income inequality is too chronic.

At the bolded , the money was never much to begin with , our gdp per capita is about $ 2300 , while that of u.s.a is about $ 56,000 and that's not even the highest.

In summary , most of the money goes to few rich people , while the masses are in a state of grinding poverty , as 46 percent of Nigerians struggle on less than one dollar a day.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:51am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

U still don't understand why this technology companies pay well ?

These tech companies aren't owned by the govt .

They pay well in the first place because they make massive profits and they make massive profits because of the immense value or products and services they are able to make.

It's just like me having a company earning 1 million naira every year , and me deciding to pay 1 million dollars to my staff , it's never going to work.

NASA is owned by the government and there are many state owed and state sponsored tech projects and companies in the west. There is no where else to get well paid than a place like NASA and the likes.

But that is not the argument, the argument is that you cannot build value in any industry, or attract investment or customers without investing in human capital first. The biggest resource of any company or country are its people.

My friend, we should not be having this conversation at all. Any company or government that cannot invest first in its people by paying them well through intrinsic and extrinsic methods do not mean business.

If we must build a respected civil service, our human capital approach must improve and be taken more serious... for me 100k per month will not even be enough. Means we will hardly attract the best talent from the private and the diasporas... when are we going to grow then?

1 Like

Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 2:56am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

It doesn't work that way . In every society , there is always income inequality , that's just how capitalism works. But its just that in sub Saharan countries especially Nigeria , the income inequality is too chronic.

At the bolded , the money was never much to begin with , our gdp per capita is about $ 2300 , while that of u.s.a is about $ 56,000 and that's not even the highest.

In summary , most of the money goes to few rich people , while the masses are in a state of grinding poverty , as 46 percent of Nigerians struggle on less than one dollar a day.

Glad you agree that capitalism creates inequality.
It's even worse in our own clime where corruption has takenover every where. Don't you agree then that outright capitalism is not for us at this point. Otherwise, inequality will continue to expand. Don't you also agree that we need new generation of leaders to start the conversation. I'm not sure Atiku cares about capitalism and its attendant problems as you've mentioned. Neither is Buhari bothered.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 2:59am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

I believe we are talking of production outside natural resources.. but if you want to include oil... It is a shame for Nigeria then because we sell for the same price they sell. So why is it that people in Riyadh and Dubai get $2000 minimum salary per month and people in Nigeria are hardly getting $40... don't you think it's sad?

It's not sad.

Nigeria produces 1.6 million barrels per day for 200 million people

Saudi produces 10.3 million barrels per day for 33 million people

Nigeria - 125 people share 1 barrel everyday

Saudi - only 3 people share 1 barrel everyday

And. Saudis own is low compared to Kuwait

Kuwait produces 3.15 million barrels for 4 million people

Kuwait - only 1 person shares a barrel everyday.

Nigeria could have been rich from oil if our population was around 1 million , but unfortunately it's not.

Nigeria must industrialise and make products that can compete with that of the developed countries or otherwise perish.

Nigeria has never ever been rich , our only hope is too industrialise.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by urahara(m): 3:02am On Feb 21, 2019
idid:

Glad you agree that capitalism creates inequality.
It's even worse in our own clime where corruption has takenover every where. Don't you agree then that outright capitalism is not for us at this point. Otherwise, inequality will continue to expand. Don't you also agree that we need new generation of leaders to start the conversation. I'm not sure Atiku cares about capitalism and its attendant problems as you've mentioned. Neither is Buhari bothered.

The only option is communism and spoiler alert it doesn't work .

That's why so many countries even u.s.s.r had to dump it . Under communism , millions of people are starved to death , and it will even be worse in a country like Nigeria where absolute power corrupts.
Re: SOWORE 2019: Implication Of N100,000 Minimum Wage For Workers By Lai Brown by idid: 3:07am On Feb 21, 2019
urahara:

It's not sad.

Nigeria produces 1.6 million barrels per day for 200 million people

Saudi produces 10.3 million barrels per day for 33 million people

Nigeria - 125 people share 1 barrel everyday

Saudi - only 3 people share 1 barrel everyday

And. Saudis own is low compared to Kuwait

Kuwait produces 3.15 million barrels for 4 million people

Kuwait - only 1 person shares a barrel everyday.

Nigeria could have been rich from oil if our population was around 1 million , but unfortunately it's not.

Nigeria must industrialise and make products that can compete with that of the developed countries or otherwise perish.

Nigeria has never ever been rich , our only hope is too industrialise.

How come the quality of life in Rwanda, Ghana and other countries in Africa are better. They don't even have oil in those places. Going by your logic, they should be poorer, dirtier and impoverished than Nigeria.

I'm not sure of the figure but minimum wage in Rawnda, Botswana and other African countries are not as bad as 18k which we have struggled to pay for ages.

Point is our problem is leadership. We don't need old, tired and expired politicians again. Isn't it time to diversify into other fields and even use our human potential to perform wonders..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP To Hold Emergency NEC Thursday Over Planned Defection Of Umahi / SGF Mustapha: My Four Children Tested Positive For COVID-19 / Nine States Join Suit On Naira Swap Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.