Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them (8775 Views)

Common Mistakes During Fasting / Common Mistakes In Salah / 5 Common Mistakes When Dealing With Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by MuslimHowto: 3:17pm On Feb 21, 2019
There are common errors or mistakes Muslim make when performing salaah. Many Muslim neglects these errors due to their insufficient knowledge about perfecting their prayer, and without furthering to know whether they are doing it according to the Sunnah.

Salaah is the second of the five pillars of Islam after accepting the Oneness of Allah, and it is the most important one. Allah (SWT) made it fard (obligatory) on every Muslims. Salaah will be the first to be questioned on the Day of Judgment.

And be constant in prayer, and spend in charity, and bow down in prayer with all who thus bow down. (Quran Al-Baqara 2:43)

When you have finished As-Salat (the prayer – congregational), remember Allah standing, sitting down, and lying down on your sides, but when you are free from danger, perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat). Verily, the prayer is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours. (Quran An-NIsa 4:103)

We at Muslimhowto have compiled 14 most common mistakes in salaah and how to correct them base on authentic sayings of The Prophet (peace be upon him):

1. Prayer of Naafil after the Iqammah Is Being Announced

When you hear the iqammah, it is very important to stop any supererogatory (Naafil) prayers without salaam, and join the row for the prescribed prayer.

It was narrated that Abu Hurairah (RA) said: the messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “when the iqamah for prayer is said, there is no prayer except the prescribed prayer”.[1]

2. Lifting the Gaze Whilst Praying

Lifting the gaze when praying is prohibited either looking right or left. Look mainly at the point where the forehead is to be placed. This is a sign of lack of concentration in Salaah.
[img]https://3.bp..com/-lIkPIkM7y_A/XG5o58H0QFI/AAAAAAAAAHc/SjJWRWK6Yo0e5Aq8EAAafUwO4hwbJe7LQCLcBGAs/s1600/how%2Bto%2Bperform%2Bsalaah%2Baccording%2Bto%2Bsunnah_muslimhowto.jpg[/img]
It was narrated that Anas Ibn Maalik (RA) said, the prophet ﷺ said: “what is matter with people who lift their gaze to heaven whilst praying? “And he spoke sternly concerning that, until he said: “they should stop that, or else their eyesight will be snatched away”. [2]

3. Not Raising Hand in the Opening Takbeer

It is obligatory to raise both hands at the beginning of every prayer. Many Muslim fail or forget to do this due rushing to catch up with elapse rak’a with the Imam. Failure to do this will nullify your entire prayer.
[img]https://1.bp..com/-VSun_DS7S9E/XG5pQNN_5WI/AAAAAAAAAHk/W07Qv_H2-aMyd051MaL8PANnOiDE_3LoACLcBGAs/s1600/how%2Bto%2Bcorrect%2Berrors%2Band%2Bmistakes%2Bin%2Bsalat_muslimhowto.jpg[/img]
Narrated Abdullah bin Umar (RA) said: “I saw Allah’s messenger ﷺ opening the prayer with takbeer and raising his hands to the level of his shoulders at the time of saying the takbeer, and on saying the takbir for bowing he did the same”.[3]

4. Hasty Performance of Prayer in Rukoo’ or Sujood

Rukoo' or sujood is an essential part of salat. These positions should be performed accurately by bowing and prostrating in a slow pace. Rushing to perform rukoo or sujood may result in prostrating or bowing in the wrong way.

Abi Qatadda (RA) related that the messenger of Allah ﷺ said: And the worst of thieves is the one who steals his prayer”.
They said; “how does he steals his prayer, messenger of Allah ﷺ?” He replied, “He does not ruku or sajda properly”.[4]

5. Lifting the Foot during Sujood

Improper sujood in salaah is by placing either the left or right foot on each other or sometimes playing with it. One must make sure the tip of the feet is placed on the floor.

Ibn Abbas (RA) reported that the messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “I have been commanded to prostrate myself on seven bones: on the forehead” – and then pointed with his hand towards his nose, hands, feet, and the extremities of the feet. [5]

6. Racing With the Imam, or Moving With Him in Congregational Prayer

The Imam is the leader when performing salaah in a congregation. Everyone at his back should follow him. Do not contest with the Imam in prayer. Wait for him to say or do something before doing so.

It was narrated that Anas bin Malik (RA) said; “the messenger of Allah ﷺ led us in prayer one day, then turned to face us and said “I am now your Imam, so do no tend to bow or prostrate or stand or leave before I do. I can see you in front of me and behind me”. [6]

7. Proceeding To Mosque for Prayer with Rush

Narrated Abu Huraira (RA) The Prophet ﷺ said, “When you hear the iqama, proceed to offer the prayer with calmness and solemning and do not make haste. And prayer whatever you able to pray and complete whatever you have missed. [7]

8. Waiting for the Imam Until He Stands To Start In Prayer

When you enter the mosque and you find the Imam at any stage of prayer. You do not have to wait for him to return to standing position. All you need to do is, make an opening takbir, then join him in that position.

Abdullah Ibn Mughafal (RA) the messenger for Allah ﷺ said; “whoever founds me in a state of ruku, standing or in sujood let it be with same position which I am in”. [8]

9. Raising the Voice in Dhikr after Salaah (Prayer)

Dhikr is an act in Islam that involves the recitation of prayer (either by moving the tongue or in silently in the heart) to glorify God. Raising one’s voice after salaah can make others who are still praying to lose concentration in their recitation.

Narrated Abu Sa’id al-Khdri (RA) the messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “LO! Every one of you is calling his lord quietly. One should not trouble the other and one should not raise the voice in recitation or in prayer over the voice of the other”. [9]

10. Not Bend Properly In Rukoo

Ibn Umar (RA) reported: “the messenger of Allah ﷺ, when he stood up for prayer, used to raise his hands apposite the shoulders and then recited takbir (Allah-o-Akbar), and when he was about to bow he again did like it and when he raised himself from the ruku’ (bowing posture) he again did like it, but he did not do it at the time of raising his head from prostration.” [10]

11. Praying In a Garment That Does not Cover the Shoulders

Any clothing that does not cover the shoulder (armless or singlet) should not be worn when performing salaah.

Narrated Abu Huraira (RA) the prophet ﷺ said: “None of you should offer prayer in single garment that does not cover the shoulder”. [11]

12. Praying In A Place Which There Are Images

Narrated Anas (RA) Aisha had had a thick curtain (having pictures on it) and she screened the side to her: “Remove it from my sight, for its pictures are still coming to my mind in my prayers”. [12]

13. Crossing In Front Of a Praying Person

When you notice someone praying, do not cross in front of the person; rather place a sutra (a long object) in front of the person before crossing.

Abu Juhaim (RA) said: “the messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “ if the one who passes in front of a person who is praying knew (burden of sin) that is on him, standing for forty would be better for him that passes in front him”. [13]

14. Prostrating Like A Dog

[img]https://4.bp..com/-Y_5vCKxtWgY/XG5peTPA-zI/AAAAAAAAAHo/k53CEBQzOl87jcfA6Pq7oGBhDK-FFBmtgCLcBGAs/s1600/muslimhowto%2Bprayer.jpg[/img]
Anas Ibn Malik (RA) reported: The Prophet of Allah ﷺ said: “Be straight in prostration and let none of you put his forearms on the ground like a dog.” [14]

Conclusion

With all the above common mistakes and their corrections, you might have seen the once you often make. Do not feel bad, all you need is istigfar (seeking forgiveness) from Allah; surely Allah is oft-forgiving.

May Allah accept our salaah and good deeds so we will not be among the loser on the Day of Judgement. Aameen.

Allah knows best.

REFERENCES
[1] (Sahih Muslim)
[2] (Sunnah Abu Dawud 913)
[3] (Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 12, Number 702)
[4] (Ibn Majjah, Book 9, Number 9.23.75)
[5] (Sahih Muslim: Book 004, Number 0994)
[6] (Sahih Muslim: Book 4, Number 0857)
[7] (Sahih Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 11, Number 609)
[8] (Sunnah Abu Dawud: The Book Of Saht (The Prayer) 605)
[9] (Sunnah Abu Dawud 1332)
[10] (Sahih Muslim: Book 4, Number 0759)
[11] (Sahih Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 8, Number 355)
[12] (Sahih Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 72, Number 842)
[13] (Ibn Majjah Book 9, Number 9.10.37)
[14] (Sahih Muslim 493, Sahih Bukhari 788)

Source: https://www.muslimhowto.com/2019/02/14-common-mistakes-during-salaah-and-how-to-correct-them.html

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:14am On Feb 22, 2019
Islam is lovely! May we all die as Muslims.

34 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by AryEmber(f): 8:56am On Feb 22, 2019
Guilty of 8, will try and work on it. But is no 1 mandatory? Aren't all nawafils optional?

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by lanrexdo(m): 8:56am On Feb 22, 2019
Lovely right up.

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by ohigus(m): 9:10am On Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for d correction and may we all correct self aameen

3 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by Naijatask: 9:15am On Feb 22, 2019
Jazakhallahu khairan

3 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by domack99(m): 9:18am On Feb 22, 2019
MuslimHowto:

1. Prayer of Naafil after the Iqammah Is Being Announced

When you hear the iqammah, it is very important to stop any supererogatory (Naafil) prayers without salaam, and join the row for the prescribed prayer.

It was narrated that Abu Hurairah (RA) said: the messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “when the iqamah for prayer is said, there is no prayer except the prescribed prayer”.[1]

Source: https://www.muslimhowto.com/2019/02/14-common-mistakes-during-salaah-and-how-to-correct-them.html

Jazakallahu Kairan.

So is it Okay to complete an obligatory Salaah (not Naafil) when the Iqammah has been said? I mean a compulsory Salaah one is owing.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by Alberttahir: 9:39am On Feb 22, 2019
Good
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by youngsahito(m): 9:42am On Feb 22, 2019
Tnks 4 d enlightment...Jazakallahu Kairan.

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by agistwityusuf(m): 9:58am On Feb 22, 2019
Jazakalahu khairan .
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by ukeleh: 10:13am On Feb 22, 2019
domack99:

Jazakallahu Kairan.

So is it Okay to complete an obligatory Salaah (not Naafil) when the Iqammah has been said? I mean a compulsory Salaah one is owing.
Pray the current salat, then pray the obligatory prayer you are owning. Allah knows best.
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by fatymore(f): 10:44am On Feb 22, 2019
Very explanatory
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by eyebee01(m): 11:34am On Feb 22, 2019
AryEmber:
Guilty of 8, will try and work on it.
But is no 1 mandatory? Aren't all nawafils optional?
You may not have got number 1 clearly. It says one should terminate all nawafil prayers upon hearing the start of iqamah at whatever stage you are in the nawafil prayer. May Allah grant us understanding

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by cadesky(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2019
Apart from praying with singlet, I think I'm doing good with my Sallah...nice right up though

2 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 22, 2019
May Allah reward you abundantly
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by Lakside1955(m): 1:13pm On Feb 22, 2019
I disagree with No 11
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by ambassadorabdul(m): 3:39pm On Feb 22, 2019
jazakhumullah khair
Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by abbasajao(m): 7:49pm On Feb 22, 2019
domack99:

Jazakallahu Kairan.

If you are owing zuhri for instance and you meet Ashr in congregation, join them with intention of zuhri and bring your ashr after salam. This is only applicable to Salam of equal numbers. Allhau ahalam

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Mistakes During Salaah And How To Correct Them by Stargurl20(f): 10:15pm On Feb 23, 2019
Jazak Allahu Khair. may Almighty Allah reward you abundantly. Ameen.

(1) (Reply)

4 Prayers To Increase You In Knowledge In Islam / Animals For Upcoming Eid Sacrifice / What Does Sura 9:123 Says? If You Know Your Quran Well Please Tell Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.