Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,882 members, 7,802,848 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). (39920 Views)

Idanre Hills - An Ancient Civilization On Top Of A Rock / Lockdown: My Visit To Street Market In Greece (photos) / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
Traveling through the western states in Nigeria you might decide to pay a visit to Idanre town, a serene town hovering with mind-wrenching mountian as high as 3000ft tall. The town is reputably known for it’s tentative UNESCO world heritage site, the famous ‘ Idanre Hills’ which is unarguably one of the most visited tourist attraction in the country.

Idanre Hills fondly called Oke Idanre is a beautiful landscape that sits at the top of a hill in Idanre town, Ondo state Nigeria. It is significantly known for the remains of the ancient settlement that existed with clear evidence of inhabitants on it’s summit. The hill which also serve as a resort is known for it’s majestic view and the mysterious stories of chiefs and warlords that comes with it’s storytelling.

The top of the hill...

An old house built by the white missionary in 1954 for resting known as the tourist chalet

Read more on my Blog @http://www.demitalks.com/my-visit-to-the-old-idanre-town-and-the-story-of-idanre-hills/

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
Listening to the story of Idanre hills I felt a connection with reality with this story than it being just a mere folklore being told. It is believed than one of Oduduwa sons had embarked on a journey out of the ancient city of Ile-Ife with some group of followers to go settle somewhere else and start a town of theirs, but not without taking a sacred magic crown called the ‘’Ade Omo Oduduwa’’ along with them which their had stolen from the king’s son. This act made the kinsmen and the people of Ile-Ife angry and set out to pursue this group to restore the crown back to Ile-Ife. The pursuit made the group run farther into the thick forest till they were out of sight and safe.

Sitting pretty on top of the hill wink

Read more on my Blog @http://www.demitalks.com/my-visit-to-the-old-idanre-town-and-the-story-of-idanre-hills/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
For years they wandered in the forest but kept on moving till they stumbled upon an area covered with hills and finally decided to settle at the top. They had exclaimed in surprise of the beauty of the hills saying ‘’Idanre’’ meaning this is wonder. Civilization was brought about by a team of missionaries led by Rev Gilbert Carter in the year 1894 to the settlement up the hill that brought about the building of the old primary school on the hill, and also the old courtyard and prison yard. The group and it’s later generations settled on this hill for 800years before migrating to live in the new Idanre town down the hill. An annual festival is held in reference of the Ogun diety which is highly revered in Idanre town. The festival is being celebrated as a dance procession to the top of the hill by the King of the town and his chiefs.

At the entrance on the resort...

A sacred spot where every New King mount to be crowned.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2019
Climbing through the hills can be strenuous if you did not come well prepared. It is like hiking through a mountain only that this has steps and a clear path to follow. I had planned on going to a different location before making up my mind to come here. I had left home and headed to Ijebu-Ode only to be told the site I would have love to visit is not accessible to women.
As to that, I left home with the wrong set of outfit. A flowing trouser is not suitable to climb neither was the slip-on shoe I had on good enough. One should come here with good hiking boots and short. A water-bottle, snacks, drinks, a music plug and definitely a hiking partner aside the guide to have a good fun of the place.
They are about five resting point that leads to the top of the hill before the ancient town for hikers and tourist to relax before proceeding. At the first resting point there is a bar that sells chilled drinks and water for hikers to take along with them to sustain the climb. I got one bottle water and to tell you I finished it before even getting to the final resting point.

At one of the resting point

At the House of Ojomu the 3rd in command to the king.

The "osokogbe" stone that a male adult mist be able to lift to qualify him for marriage to any lady from Idanre.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2019
Entry passage to the resort comes with an entrance fee of 1000 and then you have to pay your tour guide a particular fee you both agree on for his/her service. I was told by my tour guide the site has been renovated from time to time to make it more appealing to tourist. More works can still be done though to make it more attractive like having an art centre or a mini cultural centre or market for tourist to buy Nigerian made crafts and arts. More-so, the guide I was assigned was not really into the job, I didn't feel the African passion in him. But, he was at least knowledgeable about the place, that I was okay with. They are hotels around at affordable prices for people willing to stay over and enjoy the town a little more before leaving.

Entrance to the ancient palace...

The old courtyard where built by the missionary...it has an extension for prison yard also.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:33pm On Feb 22, 2019
I had fun visiting this site and would love to visit again soon and probably complete all the other points of attraction I did not get to. To be honest, the place is a large expanse of land and I was literally dead tired from the hiking that I could not see all the places.

Climbing through the mountain.

The old court house...

Inside the court house.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by haywire07(m): 3:53pm On Feb 22, 2019
I'm more interested in you than the tours. You're cute undecided

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by davide470(m): 4:47pm On Feb 22, 2019
When are you coming to the abroad?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2019
The mystical "arun river" believed to possess mystical power

A narrow path called the "ise ogbeji" where only one person can pass at a time

The Africa cherry fruit(agbalumo) tree...it was my first time seeing one. The body so smooth and the fruits so fresh and sweet. I picked some from the fallen ones and ate grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2019
If you would like to join me on my next tour, please send a PM or joint my whatsapp travel community

@https:///EYfDHAa4xO7GjyV8A3V4z8

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by heybeemoney(m): 5:30pm On Feb 22, 2019
welcome to my City... don't go until u visit, Ojimoba, Olofin forest, n Odomini koko...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 5:51pm On Feb 22, 2019
haywire07:

Thanks grin

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 5:52pm On Feb 22, 2019
davide470:
When are you coming to the abroad?

Shey you will take me grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 5:53pm On Feb 22, 2019
heybeemoney:
welcome to my City... don't go until u visit, Ojimoba, Olofin forest, n Odomini koko...

Oh, wow. Never knew about those places. Left already. Probably next time would find out more.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by meobizy(f): 1:18am On Feb 23, 2019
haywire07:
This is exactly what I had in mind. Lol.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by TheStarsAlign: 5:20am On Feb 23, 2019
Bbsharon:
If you would like to join me on my next tour, please send a PM

Good idea. Instead of going on these tours alone. Kindly let us when planning next trip + the destination like a week or two before.

Keep keeping it real friend grin

4 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by leksymaxy(m): 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2019
Bbsharon:

i would love to go on this kind of trip next time, pls u can message me on. 08105543265 or email. Sexy4maxwell2010@gmail.com. Let me know atleast a week to the departure time...keep it up sis, sky is ur starting point

6 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:16pm On Feb 23, 2019
leksymaxy:
i would love to go on this kind of trip next time, pls u can message me on. 08105543265 or email. Sexy4maxwell2010@gmail.com. Let me know atleast a week to the departure time...keep it up sis, sky is ur starting point

Alright. Thank you so much. I will let you know.

4 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 3:17pm On Feb 23, 2019
TheStarsAlign:

Good idea. Instead of going on these tours alone. Kindly let us when planning next trip + the destination like a week or two before.

Keep keeping it real friend grin

Alright, thanks

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by AllenSpencer: 3:34pm On Feb 23, 2019
Do they sell beer and cigarette at the hill top?

6 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Treasure17(m): 12:10pm On Feb 24, 2019
Bbsharon get mind sha. You picked and ate agbalumo in a sacred environment. Nice adventure though.

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 8:44am On Feb 25, 2019
AllenSpencer:
Do they sell beer and cigarette at the hill top?

Beer yes, at the 2nd resting point. Cigarette I'm not sure about that.

10 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 8:45am On Feb 25, 2019
Treasure17:
Bbsharon get mind sha. You picked and ate agbalumo in a sacred environment. Nice adventure though.

Lol...it was very fresh. Thanks grin

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Treasure17(m): 1:23pm On Feb 25, 2019
Bbsharon:

Lol...it was very fresh. Thanks grin
Lol. Freshness? You must have been fortified to try this. Haven't you seen typical traditional Yoruba movie? grin

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 6:16pm On Feb 25, 2019
Treasure17:

Lol. Freshness? You must have been fortified to try this. Haven't you seen typical traditional Yoruba movie? grin

Hahahaha...that doesn't have any effect on me whatsoever

7 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Treasure17(m): 8:04pm On Feb 25, 2019
Bbsharon:

Hahahaha...that doesn't have any effect on me whatsoever
Oshey. Awon eyan Mfm

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by naturefellow(m): 4:49pm On Feb 26, 2019
Bbsharon:

The "osokogbe" stone that a male adult must be able to lift to qualify him for marriage to any lady from Idanre.

I remember this stone. Quite weighty. But I carried it! cool

Nice blog. Gorgeous blogger :-)

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by AllenSpencer: 7:43am On Feb 27, 2019
Bbsharon:

Beer yes, at the 2nd resting point. Cigarette I'm not sure about that.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by oboy81: 9:56pm On Feb 27, 2019
Naa Forgerrit!
This Bbsharon Set! Kilode

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Titugirl(f): 9:41am On Mar 01, 2019
Bbsharon:

I sent a PM but you're not responding
Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 1:39pm On Mar 01, 2019
Titugirl:

I sent a PM but you're not responding

Oh, sorry I would check now.

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). by Bbsharon(f): 1:40pm On Mar 01, 2019
Treasure17:

Oshey. Awon eyan Mfm

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ethiopian Airline Crash: Pilot Was Untrained On 737 MAX Simulator – Colleague / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? / Oriola Aregbesola: US Navy Announces Sailor Who Died In The Red Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.