Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,126 members, 7,807,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) - Literature (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) (81876 Views)

Book Archon - Ultimate Fantasy Fiction book Thread / THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek / Ndidi And The Telekinesis Man (A Fantasy Romance Novella By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2019
wow, I thank God that I stumbled on this masterpiece. obehiD, your an awesome writer.. I have been reading this for the past two days, wow. but I got confused a little cause I have not read the last installation before this one... you deserve applause for this masterpiece,bravo.. why not make this Novel into a PDF, send part of it to HBO, marvel, Sony etc twitter handle to see whether any of them would pick interest in it cause am sure I would watch it if it comes out... bravo for the work you have done.

2 Likes

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by ayshow6102(m): 5:35pm On Sep 08, 2019
Thanks for the update obehid and I am unable to comment till the next update because nehud removed the okun covering the Swan but in his grief forgot to remove the one that he used to cover me when I tried to defend marcinus
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 4:16am On Sep 09, 2019
@Madosky112 It's really rebooting, lol. Although, you may be right...we'll see after the next update wink

@lukfame Thank you. I'm sorry, I wish that I could make them all that long.

@Botaflica You felt the betrayal too? I was reading it again, and I felt for Nebud. Chai, what a life, smh. If only I knew who was responsible for Nebud's fate...hahaha. I agree with you about Nebud telling Marcinus about Manus, anyway, we'll just have to see how it goes.

@tunjilomo thank you grin

@cassbeat I know oh, Wednesday should do and come. I can't wait to see what happens next wink PS. I didn't forget about my reserved comment. I've decided to reserve my reserved comment on your reserved comment till after the next update. That one will better address your reserved comment, so that I can unreserve my twice reserved comments cheesy

@barag I'm soo happy to read that. It's good to know that I am not alone, because I really felt Marcinus' pain, the betrayal, to have someone that you trusted just take advantage of your trust like that ehn...if I was Marcinus, I don't know what I would do to Nebud...after I recovered my strength that is

@Fazemood Thank you, thank you, very heart touching indeed. As in, I don't know oh. Maybe it is not a good idea for Marcinus and Nebud to ever share space again, because...anyway, I'm still feeling Marcinus' pain. So, Nebud has six outer eye sockets, three of them are filled now, but three are still empty, which means Nebud has only two out of five types of spectra. Fajahromo has all of its outer eye sockets filled, so it has all five types of spectra. So, Nebud would be more powerful than it was before, but just in terms of spectra, it is nowhere near as powerful as Fajahromo.

@decoderdgenius I know, Nebud is really growing. I'm sorry oh, this suspense sef, it's doing the same thing to me too cheesy I'm writing as I'm posting, so the book isn't finished yet, if not I would be posting more regularly until it was all out.

@chris99 Thank you

@cherriex I like these predictions...that's all I'll say for now cheesy

@Omittesb Welcome! Nice to have you on board. And I am also happy that you stumbled upon this. Thank you for your flattering words, I really appreciate them! Confused, that's not a good sign. Which parts exactly where you confused about (if you remember, if you don't that's fine.) I'm asking because I'm trying to make sure that this story reads like a standalone, so I want anyone who hasn't read the other books to still be able to understand this one. WOW! I'm unbelievably flattered that you think that any of those companies would be interested in my work, thank you grin. I have every intention of eventually combining all of this into a novel and publishing it, but, since it's the 4th book in the series, I have to wait for the ones before it to be officially published. Again, thanks for your words, they really mean a lot to me!

@ayshow6102 Thank you. These your comments are just making me laugh anyhow! I can't wait to see what you will say for the next one. Anyway, I'm just like you here in my okun. Hopefully Nebud remembers to release us before Wednesday so that the next update will appear on time wink
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by cassbeat(m): 11:20am On Sep 09, 2019
OK obehid waiting on your reserved comment to my reserved comment that was unreserved... Thank you..
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 09, 2019
obehiD.. your truly blessed in writing.. Because of you I went and downloaded okadabooks app just to read Crimson Night, I will surely leave my review when am done reading..

Don't worry about my confusion in the spectrum Existence, it's already cleared up..

Thanks for this masterpiece.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by gbenga4sure(m): 5:11pm On Sep 10, 2019
inside life, Marcinus dey dull himself. let's see what happens next........ I just sat down with Nebud to have a chat on why he is allowing a voice from somewhere to guide his ways........ Truth be told "we all could do with a voice to guide us in life to avoid mistakes"............ Obehid and Nebud sounds cool......

You are one hell of a terrific writer dear@Obehid. I doff my hat for you, Tuhndhay, Thanks for pointing me here
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 4:03am On Sep 11, 2019
hahaha @cassbeat coming soon

@Omittesb I'm so happy to hear that, thank you! I can't wait to see what you think about Crimson Night grin

@gbenga4sure As in, we all could do with a voice like that oh, as long as it's guiding us to avoid mistakes... Thank you, and I'm glad to have you onboard. Hope you keep enjoying it
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 4:03am On Sep 11, 2019
Part 17
---------

They fought within the red fog. The fog was just translucent enough to make out the fighters, some of which were on horseback, others ran on the mud ground. They fought with different weapons, with spears and hammers, clubs and swords, cutlasses and nets. It was chaos. And those were just the ones fighting on the lower levels. There were others on the hills around, adding magic to the fight. Quicksand formed underneath a contingent of soldiers, swallowing them up. Fogs closed in on others, robbing them of their life. Hail floated and infernos followed shortly in their wake.

Then I heard a strange sound. That sound was followed closely by the appearance of elements. Fire swept through the area, burning indiscriminately through the people in its path. Harsh winds blew over the battle area, scattering the lines. The earth shook, and the people fell.

Blood flowed freely. If there was a winning side, I could not tell.

I pulled out of Maraci’s head, freeing my memories from its. Then, I returned my consciousness to the present, the here and now. Maraci and I stood on a flat sludge plane, our gazes fixed on the whipping taking place in front of us. The imp’s cries were stirring. I had gone digging in Maraci’s head to drown out the sorrow of the beating, but I found myself racing back to the present to escape the foulness of the battle Maraci had fought in the standard existence.

I clenched my jaw when another lash had blood flowing freely from the imp’s back.

“What will your recommendation be?” I asked.

Maraci’s impassive gaze stared at the imp. I knew Maraci well, the uspec would feel no sympathy for the imp. It turned to stare at me and then it shrugged. “I gave you permission to use your pansophy on me so that you could give me your opinion.”

I sighed. “Umanis are dying, young and old alike.”

Maraci scoffed. “You baffle me Calami. I know you are a warrior, you have killed many. What do you care if umanis die?”

The imp’s crying tore at me. Was this much pain truly necessary? “They have no magic, no means of protecting themselves. When I kill, I kill in battle. What I saw was slaughter.”

“So, you would recommend that we let the last portal go?”

I sighed. We had lost all but one of our portals into the standard existence. Somehow, the supreme and fourth had found all of our portals and over time, had systematically gotten rid of them. If we lost all of our portals, then we would not be able to pull our souls into the standard existence, which meant that we would not be able to use the spectral magic bound to those souls in the standard sphere. If we lost our last portal, we would not be able to send as many uspecs into the standard existence and all uspecs who went would have no pansophy or spectra there. It would not have been so bad, if the other existences didn’t still have their portals.

“It is only temporary.” I replied. “Let us let it go. It is not worth the slaughter of so many innocents.”

Maraci scoffed. “That will not be my recommendation.”

I nodded, I did not think it would be. “Don’t you think there are more important matters at hand?”

“Such as?”

“Identifying how they found out about the portals in the first place? Only uspecs know the location of those portals.”

Another lash fell. “Stop!” I commanded.

“Calami.” Maraci warned.

I shook my head at the uspec, before walking over to the post. The whipper was a boga banneret, one of Arigad’s finest. It curtsied to me and then rose and said, “The mighty one gave orders that this imp be whipped until it confesses the source of the information leak.”

“It will not confess.” I stated simply.

“With all due respect imperial one, this is Aboga, and I take my orders from the Kaiser.”

A blow to the side of the banneret’s head shut it up. Added pansophy with that blow took away the uspec’s consciousness. I smiled thinking of how much Musa would appreciate that trick. The banneret fell to the ground, lost to the world.

“Arigad will not be pleased.” Maraci stated, walking closer.

“Arigad never comes this close to the mines, it will never know.”

“I’m starting to think you care more for the imps than you do your own kind.”

I ignored the uspec. Whoever it was that was leaking the information was smart. It was smart enough to use pious slaves, ones with pansophy. I could try getting the information out of this imp with pansophy, but the imp’s far superior knowledge of the magic would make that futile.

I placed my hand on the imp’s skin, and immediately felt it try to push into my head. This imp might be good at pansophy, but it was nowhere near as good as Musa. I left my hand on it just long enough to give it growth. The imp would heal itself with the extra lifeforce.

“What is your name?” I asked, once the sobs ended.

The imp was silent.

“I gave you growth. Give me your name.”

“Monica.” It said, hesitantly.

The chains used to bind the imp were purposely made out of metal that was not pansophic. Form could not be stolen from the manacles, and so the imp could not free itself.

“Whatever you intend to do, you’d better do it quickly.” Maraci stated.

“I like you my friend, but you are …”

“Arigad is coming.” Maraci’s voice was dry.

I turned to the side and found that the sludge ground was being turned to foam. The blare of trumpets showed that the arrival of a Kaiser was indeed imminent. But, although the sounds and floor change pointed at this fact, I could not see the Kaiser. Knowing Maraci though, the uspec probably had copious amounts of aqua-sight. Soaru uspecs were so used to their cloudy ports that they always gave extra sight to their eyes. I tended to store extra lifeforces, but I was careful not to expend them unless I needed to. I had so much growth, that I decided to grow my sight, rather than increase its intensity. By doing so, I could see further, though not clearer. As the fogs were not too dense, the growth in my sight was enough.

I saw two Kaisers approaching, and a swarm of uspecs behind them.

Arigad had a Kaiser guest then, that would explain why it was wandering so close to the mines. Arigad was the perfect hybrid between a warrior, a politician, and a snob. It would not choose to come so low as the mines if it did not have to.

Taking a deep breath, I walked over to the other side of the post and pulled on my anxiety over Arigad’s arrival and let that worry speak to the hail. Through the magic of the mejo eye, I made hail appear in the air and surround the manacles. Then I burnt them down, releasing the imp.

If the imp could not be made to talk from a beating, I hoped that it could be cajoled with the promise of a reward. From my vast experience with imps, they did not care enough for uspecs to keep our secrets when it could be safer or more profitable to share it. The imps that served my line where the exception to this of course, but then Musa had more to do with that, than either me or my progenitor. I waited a few seconds to see if the imp would teleport by itself. The imp only took a step back, but it made no other movements.

Good, it did not have siphoned spectra, which meant that it could not manipulate quicksand. I reached into my anger and through it, made quicksand appear underneath the imp. I told the quicksand to send the imp back to Lahooni. It was a good thing I’d completely filled my outer eye sockets before Maraci invited me on this mission of its. If I hadn’t, I would not know of the special relationship Musa had with an imp Xavier. I was sure Musa would be able to convince the imp I’d sent to it, to tell it the truth. Finally, we’d be a step closer to finding out who in the spectral existence, was telling the secrets of our portals to the other existences.

It was just in time too, because right at that moment, the Kaisers and their retinue reached us.

Maraci suddenly appeared beside me. Knowing the uspec, it was probably expecting us to have to fight our way out. Maraci was loyal to a fault. Even if it wanted to leave, it would stay there and fight to the death with me if I chose to stay. I smiled at the uspec and nodded. It did not smile back, but it nodded.

I frowned when I saw the uspec that accompanied Arigad. It was Sophila, the new Kaiser of Chiboga. Its progenitor had just passed away, a week ago, and in the week that followed, Sophila killed half of its siblings, and made the other half dukes, leaders in the new army it planned to grow. What was Sophila doing in Aboga?

The mines, I thought with a grimace.

Aboga was a small port, but it was a port filled with mines. It was the largest quarry in this sector, and one of the largest in the entire existence. What Arigad did not have in manpower, it made up for in wealth. Really, the uspec’s line was blessed to have Chuspecip look so favorably on it. Chiboga on the other hand was a military powerhouse. I suppose as boga ports, it would make sense for Sophila and Arigad to form an alliance.

We both bowed when the Kaisers stopped in front of us. Sophila was young, only a few years older than I was, but it was already undead, it already had offspring. Of course, my progenitor was insisting that I start to consider procreating myself. I did not know why, Calam was still in its prime. Arigad was much older and it hadn’t procreated yet.

“What is the meaning of this?” Arigad demanded, staring at the unconscious banneret.

“Your banneret disobeyed me mighty one.” I lied.

“And you took it upon yourself to discipline it?”

“Forgive me mighty one.”

“It looks very unconscious.” Sophila stated. “Like you used pansophy on it.”

“Calami is a noble, it would not dare use pansophy on another noble without its permission.” Arigad said.

“Would it not?” Sophila asked.

I could feel Arigad’s glare on the back of my bent head. I sighed. Arigad would find out the truth and I would have to make sure that the Kaiser’s anger was assuaged. My progenitor was able to enforce peace between Kaisers by making each one feel as though their port was equal to Lahooni. It would be very displeased if I annoyed Arigad. I could not help wondering what it would take to calm Arigad. It was no friend of my progenitor’s.

“Remain here.” The Kaiser commanded, “I will deal with you two later. Come Sophila.”

I rose my head in time to watch them walk away. I recognized an uspec in their retinue. It was the youngest one there. How old was Takabat now? It waved excitedly at me, only stopping when its progenitor, the great Fajahr, rapped it on its head.

I was just beginning to contemplate my chances at a quick escape when a cobra appeared in front of us. The boga frosted beast flapped its neck ribs, flying in the air around us, as it created a flow fog. The flow fog enclosed us completely, making any form of escape impossible.

“I’m starting to think that Arigad does not trust us.” I stated drily.

Maraci chuckled. “What do you think it’ll do?”

I shrugged. “What can it do? I am the only heir to Lahooni and you are the only heir to Katsoaru. Arigad is a lot of things, but it is not stupid. It’ll give us a tongue lashing and let us go.”

“Was that your friend Takabat in the Kaisers’ retinue?”

I smiled thinking about the young. I did not like many kute uspecs, especially not the ones from Hakute, not when the second imperial of that port was so insufferable. But I liked Takabat. “Yes, it was.”

“How can you stand it? Fajahr is such a snake.”

“Takabat is different.”

Maraci scoffed. “The offspring is very rarely ever different from its progenitor.” I smiled at that. “Though, considering that the mighty Calam is such a genius and you are so dumb, I could be wrong.”

I punched the uspec in the side and we both laughed.

The cobra flew in front of us, and the flow fog disappeared.

Arigad was walking by, Sophila no longer accompanied it. We bowed.

“Come.” It did not stop to look at us.

I could not help but notice that the retinue had been divided too. Takabat and Fajahr must have remained with Sophila. I found that strange. What did a Hakute duke want with the Kaiser of Chiboga?

We were just about to join the retinue, when a hand emerged from quicksand which had formed on the ground beside my feet. Once the hand touched me, I knew it was Musa. The imp had a single word message, “the plenum.”

“The plenum.” I whispered so only Maraci could hear me.

Maraci frowned. “What is that?”

“I don’t know. But, according to that imp Monica, it is what’s responsible for leaking the location of our portals to the supreme and fourth existences.”

My head throbbed. It was as if someone had taken a hammer to my brain. With my eyes closed all I saw was darkness. Again, I felt as I had after I’d claimed the imp eyes, as though I’d been in a dream. And just like that time, I remembered nothing from it, but a name. I remembered an uspec, a newly made Kaiser, Sophila. The name seemed familiar, as if I’d heard it before, or seen it somewhere.

“Nebud!” A voice yelled. It was the voice in my head, it had returned. “You are mine Nebud! You are mine! You belong to me!!”

“What do you want this time?”

“Another eye. Go to Chiboga and take Sophila’s eye. You cannot fail me Nebud. You are mine!”

I shook my head, as the voice became silent.

“Master?” I heard Musa’s voice, though I could not see the imp. “Master are you alright?”

The voice wanted me to go to Chiboga this time. It wanted me to take Sophila’s eye. I had the faint memory of Sophila from the dream I could not quite remember. Chiboga, Sophila. Of course! Finally, I remembered where I knew the name from. It had been in Arigad’s final tome. Sophila had been the villain of its story. Sophila was the Kaiser of Chiboga, the Kuworyte port that annexed Aboga, turning the Uspecipyte port into a forgotten kingdom.

“Master?” I opened my eye and saw that Musa was kneeling in front of me. “You were successful then?” it said. It had seen my new eye.

I nodded unnecessarily. “Marcinus will live.” I remembered that I had not been the only one on a mission that night. “And you?”

Musa smiled then. It was a smile that I had never seen before. It had good news. “The young master lives, master.” It said.

I already knew that. “How do you know?”

“Sensu’s slave saw master Calam put the young master into the coffer, before sealing it with fog. I saw it in the imp’s memory master, the heir to Lahooni is alive!”

“So, your mission is over.”

“Over?” Musa’s eyebrows pulled all the way up, then it shook its head. “My mission has just started master. I have to find the young master. I have to tell it that it is the heir to Lahooni and then help it get back to its rightful position. According to Sensu’s slave, Takabat and the other pious took them to Chiboga with the coffer. The last time the imp saw Sensu and the coffer, was in Chiboga.”

“Then we must go to Chiboga.” I said.

Musa gaped. “Do you mean it master? Really?”

“Of course.” I replied.

Musa smiled.

1 Like

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by gbenga4sure(m): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2019
wow........ Eleyii deep gannnn, who is Calami and Maraci. Am wowed
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2019
nice one.. but am really curious on who or what the voice in Nebud's head is.
Am done reading the Crimson Night, truly it's fascinating.. please how can I get to read white sight:the awakening?
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by tunjilomo(m): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2019
There is a part I don't understand, Obehid. The part Calami talked to the quicksand with it's anger.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by cassbeat(m): 9:20am On Sep 11, 2019
Seriously in love with this novella... I want more obehid... Now on our way to chiboga.. I hope boko haram won't disturb them sha
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Surfondsystems: 9:25am On Sep 11, 2019
obehiD:
=============================
VOLUME ONE gtb
=============================

Part 1
--------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the First Metropolis of Lahooni (the spectral port which coincides with Lagos State, Nigeria)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was born de trop and sent to a desolate slum buried deep in Hakute. I did not learn who my progenitors were until long after it could do me any good. Sometimes, I shut my outer eyes and think back on the time. Back when there was new life, back in the days when an uspec could die, back when an uspec could be born. In those few treasured moments, I think of you, my offspring, and see your little eye. I remember your little green face, smooth and startling because it was free of the eyeless holes we formed as we aged. I remember your ailerons, the appendages that give us flight, but in the young were free of the feathers only time and experience could grow. But most of all, what I spend my few carefree moments dwelling on, is the tranquility. adeolu

It was a time so different from now. A time when there was peace amongst the existences, when the supreme existence held no claim on the standard. When the dead umanis, the detested imps, were slaves who knew their place. It heartens me to know that in the fourth existence, they still are. It was before the war, before the Kuwor retaliated by creating the marked. We gained our immortality in the process and lost our ability to procreate. It was before ajisafe Churaya gave life to ensure new young in the supreme existence and by so doing, left the standard under supreme control.

But that is not what I write about now, those are all stories you’ve heard before. No, what I write now is the one you’ve never heard, the one I was always too afraid to tell you. This is the story of how I came to be, how I moved up, from de trop in Hakute, to the Kaiser of Lahooni.

My ears grow wary, the understandings gained from my outer eyes have sensitized them. So much so, that they can pick up the sounds of swords clashing, and umanis speaking the umani tongue. I hear imps scream and uspecs cry out loud. I know who attacks them, but I do not know how an umani could make an uspec cry.
I do know two things.

One. I know that one of the umanis has green eyes.

Two. I know that the umanis are coming for me.

So, I take this time to write this to you, my offspring, explaining how I came to be. Perhaps it will illuminate my many quirks, or perhaps, if Chuspecip permits, it will make you think a little kinder of me. Whatever the effect, I leave you this.

I am your progenitor, the mighty undead, Nebud, the Kaiser of Lahooni, and this is my story.

But where does my story start?

Does it start when I was born? I would hate to bore you with the trivialities that encompassed my early life. It was a time of days filled with nothing but harassing osins. I remember the time well. The slum I grew up in was out of the way of everything. We had no markets, no extravagant dwellings, no mighty uspecs. The ground was sludge, and the air was filled with fog. We had an okun, a small stream with yellow jejas swimming in a murky pink liquid.

If there was one thing that slum could boast, it was the treatment and preparation of jeja stews. If I never see another slimy little yellow creature, it will be too soon. One of the first things I did after becoming Kaiser, was have all the life drained out of the jejas in Lahooni for spectral magic. Blasted bitter things. But we did know how to cook them.

I diverge. Back to the story, back to harassing osins.

In that slum, we woke up to green. Green skin was all around us. Everyone we saw was green. The older uspecs all had the same green features. They had the same green face with the empty outer eye-sockets. They had the same crinkled aileron with one or two wispy cyan feathers. And that was the norm.

You wouldn’t understand this. You were surrounded by the greatest uspecs from the moment you were born and as such, you became a great uspec at an early age. You gained your understandings and filled your eye-sockets long before most your age, certainly earlier than I did. You racked up on the experiences and wonders of life and your ailerons filled and flourished. But it was not so for me. Not so at all.

Perhaps you can imagine how dreary a life I must have lived, when the greatest occurrence, the most abnormal event, was the visit of an osin.

I remember the osin well. It was what the umanis would call a woman – umanis and their genders – and a beauty to them, I think. To us, in our slum in the middle of nowhere, it was nothing but a dead umani. It was ugly, as all imps are. This one though was allowed by its master to stay in the form it had died in. So, the imp’s eyes weren’t taken, it wasn’t drained for spectral magic. It meant it could keep its umani form, it also meant that it couldn’t siphon the spectral magic off its master. diamond

Maybe that is an important story after all. In some ways, my life changed that day, or at least it began the start of events that saw me taken from the only place I’d called home, from a life I had grown content with living. I will tell it then, I only hope I do the memory justice.

I was very ordinary. In those early days, I was not one to stand out. Perhaps there was a part of me that knew what I was, a part of me which knew that I was an abomination. Whatever the reason, I did not stand out. I did not make waves, I simply belonged. I was one out of many young uspecs settling into life in the slum.

How old was I then? We uspecs keep age by tracking the growth of our features. But I’ve come to think of how inexact an act that is. For example, I can say that it was before any of my outer eye-sockets formed, before any feathers grew onto my ailerons. My cyan tail was still just a stump then, as were many of the tails of the other uspecs in my slum. But then tails grow at different paces, and sockets form from different stimuli. You were at least half the age I was then, when your first eye sockets began to form.

I will go with the umani ages then. If there is nothing else that can be said for the umanis, their one good thing is that they have perfected the science of age-keeping. It cannot be exact, but I would say it was at most 17 years after my birth. I was still very young, very young indeed.

There was an uspec, Bentuj we called it. Bentuj was the chief. In our small slum, it was the uspec with the longest and most impressive tail. I remember many days spent crawling into its hovel and looking at the tail with wide eyes, just wondering if mine would ever grow to half of Bentuj’s. Bentuj’s tail reached midway down its legs. A most unimpressive feat, but it was the longest tail and so it was the most respected.

As was the practice amongst most Kaisers, when an uspec is born and unclaimed by its progenitors, the uspec is termed ‘de trop’ and sent to live in a slum. It was the only influx of new life the slums would ever see as the uspecs in the slums could never be progenitors. When I was sent to this slum, I was taken in by an uspec with a half feather on its aileron and a single empty outer eye-socket on its face. The uspec died 2 years later, and another uspec was brought to replace it. Bentuj took that uspec and named it Junte.

Junte was child of the chief. In our slum, Bentuj was the Kaiser and Junte its heir bank.

Although, it raises the level of our slum to liken Bentuj to a Kaiser. No, Bentuj was more of a chief. For Bentuj to be a Kaiser, it must have, at the very least, had spectral magic, which it didn’t. No uspec in our slum had spectral magic. As you know, an understanding must be gained before an uspec could have and use spectral magic. For an understanding to be gained, an uspec had to acquire two imp eyes. One from an imp who, in its umani life, was born in the same plane as the uspec, and one whose umani life ended in the same plane.

No uspec in our slum could boast that.

Although, as we found out later, Junte was conspiring to do it. A single uspec with a single understanding would make the difference between a slum and a burg. A single understanding would turn an uspec from de trop to a commoner, from inconsequential and powerless, the lowest of the low, to an uspec who was counted, an uspec who mattered, an uspec with the right to own an imp and request to procreate.

Junte was the one with dreams. I just wanted a simple life, like the uspec I’d been given to. I didn’t even aspire to leadership, not even to Bentuj’s status. It’s funny how fate sets the course, pulling on our strings, and we like puppets swing.

But I get ahead of myself. Back to that fateful day.

The imp walked in as it usually did, crossing the boundary from the neighboring burg, which none of the uspecs in our slum had ever had the privilege of stepping into. The imp walked in, carrying a small bucket, and wearing what umanis call ‘clothes’. Why they need such, I will never know, but I have learnt how adamantly the imps cling to it. 0037285998

The imp’s journey was usually the same. It would walk in, unmolested by the elder uspecs who only looked at it with their single eye, the one in the center of their face which they were born with, and looked away. It would walk past their hovels to ours, and we would taunt it.

Imps with masters learnt the tongues of the spectrum their master belonged to, so we knew it understood us. We would tell it how disgusting it was, then we would form sludge missiles from the mud on the ground and aim it at the imp. The imp would walk past us, head held high, on its way to our okun, the real reason why it came into our desolate slum.

Amid our taunts, despite the mud missiles flung at it, the imp would kneel by the okun and wade its hand into the stream to catch yellow jejas. It would fill its bucket with as much of them as it could get and then it would leave.

This day was different.

On this day, when the group of us young uspecs, gathered by the pink stream, we graduated from verbal insults and mud projectiles, to physical assaults. One of us slapped the imp across the back of its head. The imp fell and half of its face sunk into the mud. I kicked the filthy creature in its back and it screamed. I still remember the way it sounded. It was such a ghoulish noise.

Junte laughed and so I did it again. Looking back at the day, and knowing how small of 5588273351 an individual Junte really was, I wonder what drove me to be so desperate to impress it. I really wonder.

Junte had a prized possession, a sharpened horn which Bentuj had bought for it from a trader who came in from a neighboring burg. It was the distinctive feature of the mejo spectrum, the ones born with a natural inclination towards clouds. When they gained the understanding, they could use the clouds to alter another creature’s body temperature. We’d all heard stories of them. But we’d never seen another feature. We were of the kute spectrum. Our distinctive feature is our tail, and we were born with a natural inclination towards okuns. If we gained the understanding, we could use the okuns to drain any living creature for its spectral magic.

Junte ordered us to hold the imp down and then it said, “I’ve heard imps can’t die. Let’s test the theory.”

We all laughed. Truly we were fools. Not for what we did to the imp, but for the lack of thought we put into it. This was an imp permitted to stay in its umani form. An imp which we knew belonged to a powerful uspec, one at least powerful enough to have its osin walk around burgs and slums, unprotected. We were fools.

Junte ordered us to hold the imp down and we did. I held on tightly to the imp’s arms, kneeling on it to keep them from moving. I distinctly remember the feeling of having the base of my ailerons scratching against my legs and thinking it was uncomfortable. But I held still, so did the others.

Junte took out its fancy horn and dug it into the imp’s stomach. The imp cried. It cried as if it had never known a moment of pain. It cried as if it had never been disciplined, as if its master truly treated it as the ‘pet’ it was known for.

That thought annoyed me.

I was an uspec. Perhaps a poor and dirty one, but an uspec nonetheless and I had known pain. I would not cry the way this imp cried. I was furious at it. I was furious that it would dare cry out, furious that it would shout. And when the imp began to scream for its master and call us names, when it began to insult us, uspecs, I only saw red.

Junte stabbed it, over and over again with the tip of the horn, and the other uspecs laughed. It insulted us, Junte retaliated by carving marks into its face, and the other uspecs laughed some more. But I was too angry to laugh, I heard the imp’s insults and I needed to punish it, I needed to teach it a lesson.

In a blind rage, I ran my right hand over my smooth green face all the way down my neck, and chest. By the time my hand came down to the imp’s face, the imp was screaming. It was screaming even louder than it had when Junte stabbed it. Screaming as if it was dying. It stopped insulting us and began to beg.

You see, I was too upset to know what was happening, to see what I was doing. One moment I was furious, and the next there was blood. Red blood everywhere.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I heard Junte’s voice in my ear, but I stayed where I was, my hands moving of their own accord as I knelt over the imp.

Finally, the other uspecs got me off it. They moved me away, carrying me back to Junte’s hovel. They laughed and cheered me on, singing, screaming and jubilating over something. I did not know what, in fact, I could not really hear the words they were saying. I felt very strange, very strange indeed.

I remember that one of them walked up to me, pointed at my face and then jumped back laughing and clapping. I remember seeing that Junte wasn’t happy about something. The uspecs kept pointing at Junte’s arm and then at me, or more precisely at my face. But Junte was shaking its head and yelling. All of a sudden, it was as if I couldn’t hear them.

It was as if I was not a part of their spectrum anymore.

That was a disconcerting thought. My eye closed and I drifted off.

I think I will tell this story, or attempt to tell it, as it happened from this part on. Then, I suppose, this is where the real story begins.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by ayshow6102(m): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2019
Thanks for the update obehid and can't nebud ask Musa to use his Panasophy to get rid of that voice in his head that Is ordering him about that voice is going to put him in trouble very soon
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Dathypebruv(m): 2:52pm On Sep 11, 2019
Obehid why do i feel this update wasn't long enough to satiate my reading vigorous appetite...........

Well all these journeys and undertaking by nebud are extremely necessary i feel so
for him (Nebud) to become the 'Mighty Undead' he needs first off to have all his outer eye sockets filled so as to gain 'Understanding,Spectra (in variant form) and if possible Pansophy'

The 'Voice' which speaks to Nebud has a really strong link to the Narrative of this tale and whomever (he/she/it) is will definitely define Nebuds fate
@fazemood this brings jamal to mind

But still we dey siddon look make we see wetin go happen cool

1 Like

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Dathypebruv(m): 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2019
Wow,i certainly typed a lengthy one...........
Well its been awhile since i commented here though
Obehid comman clear the misconception and our doubts abeg ooh...........
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 4:39am On Sep 12, 2019
@gbenga4sure Calami is the offspring of Calam the late beloved master to Musa, previous Kaiser of Lahooni (it is also Nebud's progenitor) and Maraci is the Kaiser of Katsoaru (AKA Manus and Marcinus progenitor)

@Omittesb We are all curious about the voice in Nebud's head cheesy Thank you! I'm glad you found Crimson Night fascinating, I look forward to reading your review grin. So, White Sight: The Awakening is currently in the preparation for publication phase. The expected publication date is late next year, and unfortunately, it is not available till then. I will let you know when it comes out though smiley

@tunjilomo So Calami talking to the quicksand with its anger is like the way Nebud talks to the swan with its pain. It just uses the emotion as a conduit, because the different souls of the spectrums are linked to the emotions of the spectrum they are bound to and quicksand goes with anger the same way that okun goes with pain. Basically, what Calami was doing there, was using spectra, specifically the magic of the hooni eyes which allows manipulation of quicksand. I hope that answers your question

@cassbeat thank you! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked how did you know that Chiboga was named from Chibok? You're seriously in my head right now, it's scary! My reserved comment on your reserved comment is just that, Nebud is leaving Katsoaru without becoming Kaiser ( grin)

@ayshow6102 Thanks for reading! So, that's an interesting question. I don't know how to fully answer it without dropping a spoiler on what the voice in Nebud's head is...so I'm just going to say yes, Nebud can ask Musa to do anything, and leave it at that. I'm sorry it's not a better answer. Maybe when the story is over, if we remember, we can discuss this again.

@Datyhpebruv that's great, I love lengthy comments cheesy. So, as of this point we don't really know what Nebud needs to become the mighty undead, but it definitely needs to have the full range of spectra before it can really compete against noble uspecs who have the full spectra. Which means that it needs to fill its outer eye sockets. And you are extremely right about the significance of the voice in the narrative of this story.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2019
Dear ObehiD, thought this spectral Existence is the forth novel in the series?. I have read Crimson night, so where can I find, buy or download the other two?.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 3:56am On Sep 13, 2019
Omittesb:
Dear ObehiD, thought this spectral Existence is the forth novel in the series?. I have read Crimson night, so where can I find, buy or download the other two?.

I'm sorry, I don't think I answered your previous question well. So, yes, this is the fourth book in the series and Crimson Night is the first. But, what's actually happening is that I'm trying to get the two books that come between (White Sight: The Awakening, and White Sight: The In between) published. I previously had both of these stories here on Nairaland, but I had to take them down as part of the publication process. As of this point, I'm working with my publishers on editing White Sight: The Awakening, so the book won't be released until the editing is done, and the publishers publish it. All the books in the White Sight trilogy are under consideration for publishing, so I cannot make any of them available until it's officially published by the publishers. Since this spectral existence story is in the spectral existence and not really part of the human part, it's not part of White Sight, and that's why I can post it here, but I can't release any of the White Sight books until they are published, and the expected publication date for White Sight: The Awakening is late next year.

1 Like

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 13, 2019
obehiD:

I'm sorry, I don't think I answered your previous question well. So, yes, this is the fourth book in the series and Crimson Night is the first. But, what's actually happening is that I'm trying to get the two books that come between (White Sight: The Awakening, and White Sight: The In between) published. I previously had both of these stories here on Nairaland, but I had to take them down as part of the publication process. As of this point, I'm working with my publishers on editing White Sight: The Awakening, so the book won't be released until the editing is done, and the publishers publish it. All the books in the White Sight trilogy are under consideration for publishing, so I cannot make any of them available until it's officially published by the publishers. Since this spectral existence story is in the spectral existence and not really part of the human part, it's not part of White Sight, and that's why I can post it here, but I can't release any of the White Sight books until they are published, and the expected publication date for White Sight: The Awakening is late next year.

Now I understand..
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Fazemood(m): 5:35pm On Sep 13, 2019
obehiD:

Good. These novel deserves better patronage than free readings here. Let us know when they are published. I will love to own a hard copy of each series.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Fazemood(m): 5:36pm On Sep 13, 2019
Dathypebruv:
Obehid why do i feel this update wasn't long enough to satiate my reading vigorous appetite...........

Well all these journeys and undertaking by nebud are extremely necessary i feel so
for him (Nebud) to become the 'Mighty Undead' he needs first off to have all his outer eye sockets filled so as to gain 'Understanding,Spectra (in variant form) and if possible Pansophy'

The 'Voice' which speaks to Nebud has a really strong link to the Narrative of this tale and whomever (he/she/it) is will definitely define Nebuds fate
@fazemood this brings jamal to mind

But still we dey siddon look make we see wetin go happen cool

Yeah! Going now to check if there is an update smiley
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Dathypebruv(m): 7:50pm On Sep 13, 2019
Fazemood:
Right behind you bruh....................
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Dathypebruv(m): 7:51pm On Sep 13, 2019
Fazemood:
Right behind you bruh....................
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:43am On Sep 14, 2019
@Omittesb Thank you for your understanding grin

@Fazemood Thank you!!! And I most definitely will grin
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:44am On Sep 14, 2019
=============
VOLUME SIX
=============

~~~
BOGA
(A Spectral existence word which represents one of the five spectrums in the spectral existence. This word refers to the people of this spectrum, that is the uspecs of the Boga spectrum who have iron spikes as their distinctive feature. The uspecs in the Boga spectrum are sometimes called fog people as they are so tightly bound to the fogs in the spectral existence. As such, boga eyes give an uspec the magic of the fogs, which allows them to use fog to take a person’s life. The uspecs in the Boga spectrum are bound to the fear emotion.)
~~~

Part 1
-------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The First Metropolis of Chiboga (the spectral port which coincides with Borno State, Nigeria)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vehicle we’d ridden on was still in my mind as we walked into the hangar. There was something about gliding down a hard road in a landlocked canoe. Pictures of the vehicle floated in my mind. I thought of the soft seats, the control panel board at the stern, the steering wheel which Musa had navigated flawlessly, the display screen, and the most astonishing feature, which was the sludge bottom infused with motion, which allowed the canoe to glide along the trail. The canoe had had a cache of motion in it, so that the speed of the canoe could be boosted, sending us surging ahead on the trail. In all, the trip from Katsoaru to Chiboga had taken a little over an hour.

Now that was my idea of travel.

Of course, while we rode in the canoe, I saw uspecs flying overhead. It was interesting that the compartment reserved for vehicles, was also occupied by uspecs whose ailerons were filled with enough feathers to give flight. I’d seen enough of my ailerons now to know that they were about as full as any of the uspecs which I’d seen flying. So why wasn’t I darting through the skies as those uspecs did?

Tentacles came into view. It was a soaru commoner walking past me to one of the lines. Seeing those tentacles reminded me of Marcinus, the uspec whose eye I had taken. I wondered what my friend was doing. Had it lived? I shook that annoying question out of my mind. Marcinus had lived, of course it had, it must have. If it hadn’t, then what was my taking its eye for? No, I knew Manus well enough to know that the uspec would not kill Marcinus if it did not have to. Marcinus was shun now, no Kaiser would name a shun as heir. Marcinus lived. But what would it think of me? Would it understand why I had taken its eye? I wanted to believe that in time Marcinus would come to understand that I’d done it to save its life. But Marcinus did not know that its life was in danger, and now, there was no one in Katsoaru who would tell the uspec. All the friends it’d had were dead. I worried for Marcinus, I worried for what would happen to it with Manus as heir. But Marcinus was a great fighter, it could protect itself.

A part of me wished that I could have stayed. Would Marcinus have come in time to forgive me? Would Manus decide Marcinus is better off dead anyway? Did my leaving mean that there would be no one there to save Marcinus’ life? I had so many questions, but there were none that I could answer. Now that I was gone, it was useless to ponder on all the questions.

I tried to force my mind away from Marcinus and the hurt that had been on the uspec’s face, choosing instead to focus on my new mission.

Chiboga.

I was walking into the port blind. What little I knew of Chiboga, I had gained from Arigad’s last tome. Information on Chiboga was scarce. There were no tomes on the port, none to describe the way of life in this place. I did not like my ignorance, but it was unavoidable.

My mind clear, I looked around the room.

The ground was hard. It was not made of foam. Armed uspecs surrounded the hangar. Glancing at these uspecs, I remembered a phrasing which I’d read in a tome, whose name I couldn’t quite remember. The tome had pointed out that there were differences between warriors and soldiers. I had found it strange at the time, but looking at the uspecs, I understood.

These were soldiers. They stood at attention, their arms by their sides, their gazes fixed on spots in the air. There was no slack in their stances, no calm relaxation in the wandering glance of their eyes. These uspecs were disciplined. I did not know what to think about this, or about the large number of them in the room. These soldiers had strange weapons. They held onto one end of a hoe-spear hybrid, made completely out of grey metal. The sharp point on the spear looked sharp enough to pierce through an uspec’s neck. I was curious to see how that instrument was wielded.

I continued my casual study of the soldiers, noting that they wore nothing, not even belts. Then I caught the glint of silver on their ears. They had long silver links dangling from holes on both of their ears. I found this intriguing. I had never seen an uspec wearing earrings. The iron spikes on their chests showed them off proudly as boga uspecs.

My perusal now finished, I approached the checkpoints at the front of the room. I noticed, that unlike any other hangar I’d been in, this hangar had a separate, clearly marked section for nobles. That section was currently empty. I walked towards it.

The uspecs standing behind the counters also appeared to be soldiers. Unlike the ones standing around the perimeter of the room, these had black belts on, and some type of sword sheathed in their belts. They also all appeared to be boga. I noticed something different about the earrings on these uspecs’ ears. They had a silver cross at the bottom of the links dangling from their ears. I couldn’t help wondering what this meant.

Only one of those uspecs was not attending to anyone. That uspec was behind the counter in the empty line reserved for nobles.

“Salutations sirga.” The uspec greeted, fumbling on the words in the kute tongue.

I found the greeting odd. ‘Sirga’ was a term of respect, but it was a far cry from the expected ‘noble one’ greeting. “Sirga? Not noble one?” I asked, in the boga tongue.

Unlike the others behind the counter who only had one outer eye filled, this one had both imp eyes. It had spectra. I noted that the soldiers standing around the room had none of their outer eyes filled. Also, unlike the others, this uspec had three crosses attached to its earrings.

The uspec stood straight. It was not as tall as I was, but I noted that it made no attempts to look me in the eye. Its gaze appeared to be on something behind me. It had both of its hands crossed behind its back. “No sirga.” It replied, speaking more smoothly in its native boga tongue. “This is a military port sirga, noble is a rank in our army.”

I was beginning to wish that there had been at least one tome which I could read about this strange military port. I did not like going in without knowing what to expect. To the uspec I simply nodded.

“Where is your final destination in Chiboga sirga?”

“The Acropolis.” I replied.

The uspec’s gaze darted to my face then. It only looked at me for a second before looking away. “Why are you going to the Acropolis sirga?”

I frowned. “Because I wish to.” I replied curtly.

This time, the uspec’s gaze rested on me. It took its time studying me, its eyes scanning over my outer eyes, trailing to rest for a few moments on the cutlass in my belt, before finally moving to my tail. Then its eyes darted to my side, briefly studying Musa, before returning to me. It carried out its study with an emotionless face. “The Acropolis is not a tourist site sirga.”

I was silent.

“Do you insist on going to the Acropolis sirga?”

I nodded.

“There are certain uspecs not allowed in this port sirga, I must ask you a few questions to see if you are one of them.”

I nodded.

“Tiyoseriwosin?” It asked the question so calmly, that I was almost caught by surprise. Luckily, I’d read Arigad’s final tome, and so I knew what type of port this was.

“Kuworyte.” I replied.

“From where do you hale?” it inquired.

“Mugakute.” I replied. I had one version of my epic ready for Uspecipyte ports, and another ready for Kuworytes.

“What port did you last depart from?”

“Katsoaru.”

The uspec frowned. “That is an Uspecipyte port, is it not?”

“It is.”

“Yet you say you are Kuworyte?”

“I do.”

“What were you doing in an Uspecipyte port?”

“I cannot tell you that.”

The uspec frowned. “Will you subject to an inquest by a pious one, instead?” it asked.

I sighed. “That will not be necessary. I was on my way from Hakute to Chiboga, when I witnessed the slaughter of a noble on the inter-port trail. The noble was an Uspecipyte converted to Kuworyte. A pious one requested that I take news of its death to another converted Kuworyte in Katsoaru.”

“How did you survive an Uspecipyte port?”

“Katsoaru is more Kuworyte than you would think.”

The uspec seemed slightly shocked. “Is it really?”

“Ask your superiors.”

“I will do just that.” It paused. “Please state your name and position sirga.”

“Nebud. Banneret.”

“What is your imp’s name?”

“Musa.”

“Where did you acquire the imp?”

“Hakute.”

“How long did you spend in Katsoaru?”

“About ten days.”

“A long time, just to deliver a message.”

“A short time for anything else.”

“Perhaps. What other ports have you been to?”

“Only those three.”

“Which are?”

“Mugakute, Hakute, and Katsoaru.”

“And you were made a banneret where?”

“Mugakute.”

“What was the name of the noble that was slaughtered?”

“What?”
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:45am On Sep 14, 2019
“You said you detoured to Katsoaru because you saw a noble slaughtered on the inter-port trail. What was the noble’s name sirga?”

“Reynard.”

“And you are sure of this.”

“I detoured because of this noble, of course I am sure.”

“Where did you gain your soaru eye?”

“Katsoaru.”

“So, you went to Katsoaru to gain an eye?”

“I went to Katsoaru to deliver news of Reynard’s death. I gained an eye in the process. It was not planned.”

“How fortunate.”

My jaw clenched. “Are you calling me a liar?”

“Certainly not sirga, I am only remarking on your seemingly good fortune.” It stated with a straight face. I would have laughed if the inquest was not starting to get on my nerves.

“What is the name of the uspec you went to Katsoaru to see?”

“None of your business.”

“And the uspec whose eye you took?”

“None of your business.”

The uspec stared at me. I wondered if it would bring up the idea of an inquest by a pious one again. “Why the Acropolis?” it asked. “There are many, less expensive places, where a banneret could visit in Chiboga.”

I shrugged. “I have wealth.”

“Enough to spend a piece of worth solely to gain entry?” the question was asked in a mocking tone. “There are places where a piece of merit is all you need pay.”

“Like I said, I have wealth.”

“And how does a banneret gain wealth like that?”

“By being a great fighter.”

The uspec stopped to study me. “How great a fighter?” it asked, staring me in the eye.

I smiled. “Better than your best.”

The uspec scoffed. It reached for a cabinet underneath it, and then pulled out a sheet of paper. The uspec placed the paper and a pen on the counter. “This is a written log of all your answers sirga. Affix your signature to the bottom, if you swear that all of your answers are candid. I will take the log to my superiors and they will decide whether or not you can be granted access.”

I was shocked to see my answers to the uspec’s verbal sparring on different points in the questionnaire. This was some sort of pansophy I thought, but for the life of me, I could not understand how it had been done. My answer to ‘how great a fighter’ was also there. I grabbed the pen and signed my name, Nebud, at the bottom.

The uspec nodded. It took the paper from me and marched with it, over to a set of curtains to the right of where I stood. This was my first time noticing the lack of imps in the hangar. Two soldiers stood in front of the curtains. They saluted the one with my form, placing the side of their arm diagonally slanted, in front of the left side of their upper chest. The soldier with my form saluted and then dropped its hand, the others dropped their hands. One of them pulled the curtain open.

The soldier marched into the room and the curtain was allowed to fall back into place.

I turned to stare at Musa.

This was my first time regarding the imp since we walked into the hangar. It only took one look at the imp’s face to see that there was something seriously wrong. Musa had been so excited at the prospect of this journey. It was the thought of finding the heir to Lahooni that had invigorated it. Then we got into the canoe and raced through the trail, and even I could sense the excitement that the steering brought to Musa. But this imp, looked nothing like the one that had so joyfully steered the canoe. Maybe Musa was starting to feel the concern that I felt about being in such a strange port. We’d both been in so much of a hurry to leave Katsoaru, that neither of us had stopped to discuss the port we were going to.

I just barely caught the uspec marching back towards us, in time to take my gaze away from Musa. I turned to face the uspec. I noticed that it no longer had the sheet of paper with it.

“You have been granted admission sirga. You may proceed to the Acropolis if you still wish to. Do you sirga?”

I found the number of times the uspec asked me if I wanted to go to the Acropolis somewhat disconcerting. I nodded.

“A piece of worth sirga.”

I reached into my belt and pulled out a piece from the pouch I’d won in the Kaiser’s bout. I placed the piece on the counter.

“A piece of advice, from one great fighter to another.” The uspec spoke as it placed a visitor’s tag on the counter. “Keep your imp out of sight, if you want it to stay out of the mines that is.”

I took the tag and placed it against my skin, all the while pondering the uspec’s words. After transferring the appearance of the tag onto my skin, I asked, “what of the imp’s tag?”

“Chiboga does not recognize any imp as visitor to this port.”

There was something ominous about the uspec’s words. I nodded. “Gratitude for the advice.”

The uspec nodded. “Please follow me.” It waited until we walked around the counter before leading us to the curtains on the other side, away from the one that it had walked through. I stared at the wall of fog, wandering why we weren’t going in there.

“Why not the fog?” I asked.

The uspec smiled. “The fog leads to portals, for the uspecs smart enough to pick another destination, other than the Acropolis. The hangar is in the Acropolis sirga, no portals needed.”

I couldn’t help smiling. I liked this uspec.

Two soldiers stood in front of these curtains as well. They saluted. The uspec saluted and kept walking, trusting that the curtains will be drawn open before it reached them.

They were.

We emerged into a dock of some kind. The dock was filled with a neat arrangement of landlocked canoes, just like the one that we’d ridden on the inter-port trail. “Are there no portals?” I asked the uspec.

It shook its head. “Quicksand in Chiboga is only gotten by those with hooni eyes, that is, those with the magic of creating it. The ground here is hard fog sirga, the canoes are our mode of transportation.”

“Why?”

“Security sirga.” It replied vaguely.

I noted many uspecs sitting at the stern of the canoes, just behind the steering wheel. I saw one with irons on its chest and horns on its head. “Irira.” I stated, shocked.

The uspec nodded. “The mighty Sophila has no problem with iriras. Our port subscribes to the old Kuworyte religion, not the new strain created by the plenum. Do they offend you?”

I shook my head, baffled. This was a Kuworyte port?

“Good. There are many iriras in Chiboga.”

That was the first comforting thing I’d heard since stepping into this port, but even that made no sense. Why would a Kuworyte port allow iriras? The old Kuworyte religion? There was something off about this port.

The uspec stopped in front of a canoe. From the horns on the head of the uspec seated at the stern, I could tell that it was mejo. It had silver studs in its ears. Did all uspecs here wear earrings? I looked back at the uspecs and found that they all had silver studs on their ears. Intriguing.

“Take them to the civilians’ camp, base three.” The uspec ordered.

The uspec in the canoe bowed. “Yes sirga. By means of the serf camp?” it asked.

“No.” The soldier shook its head. “By means of the unallotted land.”

“Yes sirga.” The uspec nodded.

My suspicions rose as the soldier turned to face me. “I am guru Yakubo, a serf officer in the Kaiser’s army. I look forward to testing my fighting skill against yours sirga.” It gestured towards the canoe. Musa went to the back of the vehicle and pulled down the storage bay. It took the tag off its neck and moved it towards the bay. The coffer followed. Then Musa pulled the latch back up, closing the bay. It stepped onto a hard island on the sludge bottom of the canoe and then took a seat at the back of the canoe.

“Why the unallotted land?” I asked.

The uspec studied me. “It’s safer for the imp.” It replied. “Your imp looks very strong sirga. If you go by the other route, you’ll be steering past Aurelion and the pious’ camp. They may decide to take the imp. It’s better to stay away altogether. Remember, keep your imp indoors sirga.”

“Why are you telling me all this?”

“Anything I can do for a great fighter.” The uspec nodded to me, before marching back towards the curtains to the hangar.

I walked into the canoe.

The uspec at the stern reached for the brake and pulled the handle down, activating the motion in the sludge. The canoe started moving at a slow pace then.

“In my excitement master, I forgot what Chiboga is most known for.” It whispered.

I heard the fear in the imp’s voice.

“What is that?” I replied as we steered out of the docks.

“The Mine of Aurelion master. It is an imp’s worst nightmare.”

2 Likes

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Nobody: 5:09am On Sep 14, 2019
obehiD how far na this is kinda short anyways nice work I'll be looking forward to the next update
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by phoenixchap: 5:35am On Sep 14, 2019
God save Musa!!! ObehiD sorry I couldn't contribute much been having a heck of a time lately but everything is for a season I believe, good work you are really mesmerizing me with your Performances.

Now Nevus had been stupid enough to take Mercinus' eye even after backstabbing the Uspec a reasonable and intelligent uspec would say a word or two to his friend explain his situations even if he couldn't avert it, and when the effects of the drugs wears off he's left with something to ruminate about during his lone time not behave like the lunatic like he did which he is.

Secondly he has dived in blindly again for the second time and I think it is really irritating me because I don't really fancy this guy like I used to while he was in the "PIT" and I pray Miss is taken away so that he's left to learn a thing or two of his own the hard way...

Good job paddy alot of observations don't let me drift you away from you line of thought
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by tunjilomo(m): 7:05am On Sep 14, 2019
This new port is truly strange.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by cassbeat(m): 10:22am On Sep 14, 2019
Reading in 5D...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (52) (Reply)

Adaobi (A Story Of Love, Romance And Adventure) / How Male Blacks Were Sodomized By Gay White Masters, During The Slave Trade Da / How I Foolishly Wasted 80k at a NightClub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.