Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,077 members, 7,807,223 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) - Literature (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) (81874 Views)

Book Archon - Ultimate Fantasy Fiction book Thread / THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek / Ndidi And The Telekinesis Man (A Fantasy Romance Novella By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:23am On Apr 22, 2020
@cassbeat thank you for reading the longggg update grin

@doctorexcel Yes, we are in the end zone, hopefully it's all starting to come together

@eROCK247 All good questions and they will be answered little by little, soon cheesy

@ayshow6102 it's really coronatic update,lol, thanks for reading. Hmmm...these are some interesting suspicions, we'll find out soon enough
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:32am On Apr 22, 2020
Part 8
---------

I picked up a large tiho shell and stared questioningly at the meat floating within it. Arexon considered this a delicacy, I had my reservations. Yet, I was determined to try it. So, I lifted the shell to my lips and tipped it forward. It was very off and slimy.

Arexon lounged on a bed opposite mine in the entertaining room. It took one look at my face and then burst out laughing. “It is much better with the oleo,” it said before snapping its fingers at one of the imps who stood beside a table with several smaller bowls, decanters and cups resting on it. The imp that Musa had sobbed over, picked up a bowl with a knife and came over to me. It knelt in front of my stool and proceeded to butter my tiho shells with generous amounts of oleo.

I observed the imp’s bowed head. It did not lift its face so that our gazes could meet. It just kept its head bowed. When it was done spreading the oleo over my tiho, it asked, “may I serve you in any other way master?”

I imagined a world without imps. The past month that I had spent with Arexon’s soldiers and my honoraria had been blissful. In my mind, that was what a world without imps would look like. Peaceful and blissful. Then I thought about Musa. Well, Musa could remain, but all the other imps would have to go.

“Master?” the imp prodded. Its head was lifted now, so our gazes met. I stared into its empty eye sockets and found myself considering the imp form. There were subtleties in the differences between the male and female imp that I had not previously spotted. Now I did as I stared at this one. Its hair was plaited back in some pattern that I had come across when my curiosity of Musa had driven me to learn more about imps. Its face appeared in some ways similarly imp-like, but in other ways strikingly different.

I did not know much about it, but I knew that I did not like the way this imp called me ‘master’. I did not like the way that Musa ran and dropped to its knees as if in worship of the imp, and I certainly did not like the way that Musa spoke to Animaon because of its absence from this imp.

I flicked my fingers and the imp withdrew. I watched and studied each step that it took in its departure. Once it reached the table, its gaze rose again and met mine. It stared openly at me, with its head bowed slightly. I didn’t look away, until Musa appeared in my line of sight. It walked in front of the imp as if to shield it from my scrutiny. I did not like the way that Musa acted around this imp. I did not like it at all.

I turned my attention back to my stool and picked a shell from my platter. I sucked at the buttered tiho with its juices.

“Better,” I said.

Arexon roared with laughter.

It was intriguing to see this part of Arexon. It was draped over a lounging bed, the picture of lazy tranquility as it ate heartily of its tihos. We’d decided to discuss serious matters, so there were only four of us uspecs present in the room, Arexon, myself, Fabiana and Animaon. Both Fabiana and Animaon ate as Arexon did, presenting the perfect picture of a noble’s supping. It was different for me, harder. I still found it much easier, and honestly, much more pleasant, to eat as commoners did, sitting up. This way of lying and eating was a thing that only nobles enacted. Just at that moment, Cantonia’s words came back to remind me that it had announced for all of my nobles to hear, that I was nothing more than a commoner at heart. For that, if for no other reason, I would force myself to eat as I was expected to. Cantonia would not have the last word!

Thoughts of Cantonia brought to mind the missives it had intercepted. All of those tubes had been unopened, as my identity was required to break their seals, yet it worried me that Cantonia had kept them. What had the uspec hoped to gain from doing so? Had it done this to weaken my standing? It would not surprise me, as the uspec’s hatred of me was now laid bare. Perhaps Arexon was right, maybe letting it go free had been insufficient. I should have tortured it. No! My nobles would have scorned me for that. I’d never known that being a leader could come with so many restrictions. I was to lead but I could not lead too autonomously or they would call me a tyrant and spawn me the way that I’d spawned Sophian. But Arexon was a general and none of its soldiers spawned it. But they were soldiers, commoners, not nobles. Much more care had to be taken with nobles. At least I could be sure that Cantonia was not in league with the plenum. If it was, the plenum would have descended on us a long time ago, we had been in the same position for weeks. No, any thoughts Cantonia had to betraying us would only be born after its exile and could only be planned after its daze cleared. I was, I believed, free and clear of the blight of Cantonia.

Arexon took a deep gulp of wine and then placed the cup down. “The suspense is killing me, pious one.” It drawled. “Should we dismiss the imps to talk freely?”

Animaon turned to me. “If the imperial one wishes their dismissal…”

I sighed. Why did Animaon have to take every opportunity to remind me that these imps were my burden? I shrugged.

Then Animaon shook its head. “I trust them implicitly. As the mighty Calam did before me. We can speak freely in their presence.”

Arexon scoffed. It was of a like mind with me when it came to imps. It did not think so highly of them as Animaon and even Fabiana did. “Then speak freely,” Arexon prompted.

Animaon chuckled. “I’d thought we were to eat first.”

“You’ve eaten enough to talk, pious one,” Arexon replied impatiently.

I laughed. I dipped my fingers into the small washing bowl on my stool and wiped them off on the hand towel that had been placed on my stool. Then I placed my head in my right hand and turned my gaze towards Animaon.

“I was in Monachooni.” The pious one announced without preamble.

That got my attention. I pushed myself up from my sprawled position and sat upright in my lounging bed.

“To what purpose?” Fabiana asked.

“People don’t like hypocrites. When uspecs were asked to worship the Kuwor I believe that they all found something true in that. The Kuwor is the being through which all life exists. Why not worship it over Chuspecip? The common people went to the halls of the pious of the Order of Dissemination and listened while the sowers convinced them of the rightness of the plenum’s mandate. If Chuspecip, as they were told, did indeed declare that all iriras were to die, then it seemed fitting to them that they ought to break faith with the founder, when they discovered that Chuspecip was itself found to be an irira. Chuspecip lied to them, made some of them prosecute and kill uspecs of their own line. All because they believed that iriras were abominations.”

I frowned at Animaon. It was not Chuspecip who’d mandated the deaths of iriras. I did not know who had started it, but I had carried Chuspecip in me and I knew that it bore no ill will to iriras. There were a great many that Chuspecip bore no ill will towards. It favored imps, which still took me by surprise. And, even now, it did not relish the idea of ending uspec life. It would not kill an uspec solely for being Kuworyte.

Animaon went on. “People dislike hypocrites. Monachooni is like Lahooni in many ways. They were forced to turn from Chuspecip and they found reasons to justify their break from the founder. It all comes down to iriras. I did not have the means to convince them that their most sacred doctrine, the belief that Chuspecip willed all iriras dead, was a falsehood. But I did have the means to reveal Checha’s hypocrisy. With the help of the imps, I created duplicates of Checha’s offsprings’ naked forms and spread it throughout the port.”
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:32am On Apr 22, 2020
I gaped at Animaon.

Arexon sat up.

Fabiana’s eyes widened, and then it smiled.

“What are you saying?” I asked.

“Patience, Nebud,” Arexon scolded, “I’m starting to like the suspense.”

I burst out laughing.

“It took two weeks of the portraits floating around before uspecs got curious enough to demand that Checha’s offspring appear unclad. They’d taken after their progenitor, wearing robes and garbs to hide their extra features. As it was the plenum’s uniforms, no one thought it amiss…”

“Not until you were kind enough to share their unclad appearances that is,” Arexon put in.

“Not until then, high one.” Animaon concurred good-naturedly. When Arexon laughed, I found myself smiling. It was the first time that it had appeared so thoroughly amused and relaxed in a long time. Animaon continued. “With the help of the imps, I orchestrated an encounter where Checha’s younger offspring was forced to wander about unclad, unaware that there were commoners in viewing distance. Once they saw it, they slaughtered it, right there on the streets of its Acropolis.”

“You don’t say.” Fabiana gasped.

“I’m guessing Checha’s other offspring found fault with that.” I stated.

“Yes, imperial one,” Animaon said, “it did. It tried to use what little forces it had, loyal to it, to seek revenge for the death of its sibling. At the time I left Monachooni, a week ago, they were embroiled in a bitter civil war.”

I gazed at Animaon. “Chechin will have to withdraw its troops now.”

“Yes!” Arexon roared.

“This is what we’ve been waiting for. Once Chechin withdraws its troops, the plenum will not have enough to go to war with both Lahooni and Chiboga while keeping a heavy guard around Hakute and Katsoaru. They will have to give somewhere.” I spoke in a rush.

“They will indeed.” Animaon concurred.

“This is good news, pious one, but according to you, Monachooni has been embroiled in civil war for weeks now. Surely Chechin has heard of it. Why has it not departed already?” Fabiana was the sane voice of reason.

“It needs a push to break faith with the plenum.” Animaon stated. “But only a slight push. We’ve been chipping away at its armor. First when Nebud showed that Checha was a kun of five, then with its cognates being iriras as well, and now with the civil war. We just need one final push and Chechin will withdraw its troops.”

“Will the plenum just let it leave?”

“What choice do they have?” Arexon’s excitement was palpable. “If they try to stop it, they will be fighting a war on three fronts instead of just two. They can’t afford an internal squabble.”

“But won’t Chechin fear the plenum’s reprisals. I know how just our cause is, sirgas, but we are still the underdogs.” Fabiana refused to be optimistic.

“Whatever the outcome, Chechin has the most to gain if it withdraws now. If it stays with the plenum and we win, it will lose its life. If it withdraws and the plenum wins, it will still have the superior forces to go against what is left of the plenum after the war. The only thing keeping Chechin with the plenum is its honor. If we give it away to leave without losing its honor, I believe it will jump at the chance.”

“And what is that way, pious one?” I inquired.

“Chike, if you please.” Animaon spurred the imp from its reverie.

Chike reached for a satchel bag it had draped over its shoulder and came around the room with it. It passed us all parchments with the likeness of uspecs drawn on it. It looked like the kind of lifelike depiction that could only be gotten from transferring appearance. The features on the uspecs told me that I had to be looking at irirakuns of five. Then I saw the cyan rings on their fingers.

“The Kaisers of the plenum.” I stated. “This cannot be real.”

Animaon smiled. “It doesn’t matter if its real. Chechin needs hard proof, something that it can show and site for breaking from the plenum. We give it that and let it know that we plan to spread copies in Monachooni and it will have no choice but to withdraw. It cannot be seen as bowing to iriras. It is not an irira and it must set itself apart from them if it is to have any chance of gaining control of its port, which I believe Chechin desires above all else.”

“It is not fake sirga, I can feel the lifeforce.” Fabiana stated. I was suddenly very aware of the fact that I was the only uspec in the room without the gift of pansophy. Not that it mattered. These were some of the few uspecs that I trusted with my life.

“No, I never said it was fake, I just said that it didn’t have to be real. But it is real. Uspecs never take much care for how they interact in the presence of imps. I had several of our imps take up work with the plenum Kaisers. Their only job was to siphon some of their appearance, unclad. Once they got that, they returned to Monachooni. It is not so hard to slip into the place of a Kaiser’s osin if you can borrow the imp’s appearance.”

I looked closely at all the imps standing in the room. Musa, I trusted. Chike, well, I didn’t really know Chike better than my memories of its care for me as a child. There was the other imp that made Musa act so strangely, and there was the imp with pansophy that had dazed Cantonia. Four of them, four of us. Imps with pansophy, I cursed the first pious ones that had the fool idea to make pious slaves. This time their pansophy had come to our aid, but I knew of several pious slaves in the wrath who were aching for the chance to use their pansophy against us. Thoughts of the invasion flooded my mind.

“So, we must deliver these to Chechin.” Arexon stared at the parchments that Chike had handed it. “Where is the uspec?”

“Surrounded by a large contingent of Monachooni guards. But, once a day, it breaks off to go to an inn away from the bulk of the plenum’s troops. I believe that it gets its information about the state of its port in that inn. We must confront it there.” Animaon stated.

Arexon whistled. “I do not believe in much pious one, but I believe in whatever it is that has brought you to our aid.”

“Then you believe in Chuspecip, high one.” Animaon stated. “It is the founder that put me on this path. It is the founder and no other who deserves your praise and respect. Now, it has come to our aid, we must rush to its, before it is too late.” Animaon stared at me as it made that last statement.

I looked at it and I knew that it shared the same loss of Chuspecip as I did. It sensed Chuspecip’s weakness. But not for long. Now that we had the means to remove Chechin and its troops, things were suddenly looking like they had finally begun to fall into place, just as Chuspecip had set them.

“To the founder,” I said, lifting my cup of wine.

Arexon’s lips curved in a teasing smile, but it picked up its cup with the rest of us and lifted it in a toast to Chuspecip.

“The founder’s grace be with us all.” Animaon intoned.

We all drank to that.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by cassbeat(m): 8:46am On Apr 22, 2020
So short and precise update... Obehid I hope to see something very interesting by saturday....
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Madosky112: 10:00am On Apr 22, 2020
Lovely update obehid, though i think nebud havnt caught the real culpit. He is going to be betrayed soon.....
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by barag(f): 11:08am On Apr 22, 2020
Thanks Obehi. May the Hand of God always be upon you as you write.(hope you get)
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 7:50pm On Apr 24, 2020
@cassbeat I hope for you to see something interesting too, lol

@Madosky112 This your thinking is deep oh...I will share your fears with Nebud wink

@barag cry cry cry I don't get it. Is there a coded message in this? Please give me more clues, it just sounds like you're wishing me more strength as I write. Is there more?

1 Like

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 7:58pm On Apr 24, 2020
Publishing updates for those who've read and follow the human part of the Marked Series:
=============================================================

This week, I received the biggest disappointment of my writing life. My publishers, who I’ve been working with for the last year and a half, decided to terminate my contract. It’s been a very hard week for me, trying to get past the disappointment and keep writing and figure out what to do next with my Marked series.

I’m not sure yet when/how I’m going to publish White Sight: The Awakening, but I’ve decided that it’s not fair to my Crimson Night readers who’ve been waiting to read Awakening to drag this process out for another year or two (which is what will inevitably happen if I try to go down the rabbit hole of traditional publishing again, with this book).

So, while I decide on how to officially publish this book, I want to give some of my Crimson Night readers, who’ve been so supportive and patient with me and this story, the chance to be alpha readers for the next book in the Marked series. What that means is that you’ll be agreeing to read a rough draft of the Awakening story in exchange for feedback that can help me improve on the work as is. If you are interested, please leave a comment on here with this post quoted and I will send you an email through Nairaland.

If there's anyone on here who read Awakening back when I posted it on NL and would be interested in helping me out as an alpha reader please let me know. This is a second version of the book with most of the same plot themes, but the story has been redone. I made one big change to the marks, so I got rid of werewolves and made them werejackals instead. Anyway, it would be nice to have some comparisons between the previous version I had on Nairaland with what I have now if anyone who has already read it before is willing to read it again. Let me know and I will reach out to you.

Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by barag(f): 8:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
@barag cry cry cry I don't get it. Is there a coded message in this? Please give me more clues, it just sounds like you're wishing me more strength as I write. Is there more?[/quote]

Yeah more strength/imagination basically. But then what's the meaning of your monicker
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by doctorexcel: 8:21pm On Apr 24, 2020
Would love to
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by doctorexcel: 8:23pm On Apr 24, 2020
Yeah more strength/imagination basically. But then what's the meaning of your monicker[/quote]

would love to
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by cassbeat(m): 8:44pm On Apr 24, 2020
obehiD:
Publishing updates for those who've read and follow the human part of the Marked Series:

This week, I received the biggest disappointment of my writing life. My publishers, who I’ve been working with for the last year and a half, decided to terminate my contract. It’s been a very hard week for me, trying to get past the disappointment and keep writing and figure out what to do next with my Marked series.

I’m not sure yet when/how I’m going to publish White Sight: The Awakening, but I’ve decided that it’s not fair to my Crimson Night readers who’ve been waiting to read Awakening to drag this process out for another year or two (which is what will inevitably happen if I try to go down the rabbit hole of traditional publishing again, with this book).

So, while I decide on how to officially publish this book, I want to give some of my Crimson Night readers, who’ve been so supportive and patient with me and this story, the chance to be alpha readers for the next book in the Marked series. What that means is that you’ll be agreeing to read a rough draft of the Awakening story in exchange for feedback that can help me improve on the work as is. If you are interested, please leave a comment on here with this post quoted and I will send you an email through Nairaland.

If there's anyone on here who read Awakening back when I posted it on NL and would be interested in helping me out as an alpha reader please let me know. This is a second version of the book with most of the same plot themes, but the story has been redone. I made one big change to the marks, so I got rid of werewolves and made them werejackals instead. Anyway, it would be nice to have some comparisons between the previous version I had on Nairaland with what I have now if anyone who has already read it before is willing to read it again. Let me know and I will reach out to you.

Thanks in advance!
I think werewolves was very accurate. But u are the creator, u know how u imagine them in ur head.. I'm interested...
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Smooth278(m): 2:03am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!

Hi ObehiD, sorry about the disappointment. Hopefully a better door will open up in future.. I will like to be one of the readers and will definitely send you feedback...
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 5:09am On Apr 25, 2020
@barag I get it now! I wasn't thinking of it from the name POV.

@doctorexcel cassbeat and Smooth278 thank you! I'll send an email soon.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 5:09am On Apr 25, 2020
Part 9
-------

I stepped out of the dwelling and tipped my chin upwards, forcing my gaze onto the roof of the inter-port trail. It was all surrounded by clouds, but in the middle of the day, we could see the orange lights of the daylight dots streaming in through the red of the clouds.

I took my coat from Juke’s outstretched hand and donned it. It always took me some time to fix the headguard in place, but I knew I’d done a good enough job when the uspec nodded and smiled in approval. I patted it on it its head.

“Look after Nebula,” I said, unnecessarily. Juke had kept its word; it was not often far from my offspring’s side.

The young one bowed exaggeratedly to me, as if I had just given it a rare honor. “Of course, sirga,” it said.

I chuckled.

Arexon walked out of the dwelling. Its face was set in a firm mask of imperviousness, but I could still remember the fight that it had put up when Animaon counseled it against coming along with us. In case anything went wrong, we needed Arexon to be here to lead our troops. Personally, I was unashamedly grateful that Arexon would remain. Seeing as I was being forced to leave my offspring under the same roof as Marcinus, I liked knowing that Arexon would be here in case anything bad happened. I’d ordered Nebula to stay away from Marcinus, and I did not doubt it would heed my words. It was Marcinus that concerned me.

Animaon and Fabiana came out of the dwelling finally. Fabiana argued with its sibling, Binna. I did not need to hear them to tell that Binna was anxious to accompany us and Fabiana refused.

We’d decided on a small party. Two imps, Musa, and the tall imp who’d dazed Cantonia, Darlin, Animaon, Fabiana and me. Four uspecs and two imps, to go up against however many people Chechin had in its entourage. We did not expect many, but we were not foolish enough to think it would have as few forces as we would. Presenting the lower numbers was of strategic importance. Chechin would not see us as a threat. We wanted as little bloodshed as was possible.

Fabiana took Binna into its arms and embraced it. It whispered something into its younger sibling’s ear. Something that immediately made Binna stand straighter. It bowed a slight neck bow to its older sibling and then it took a step back, withdrawing to stand behind Arexon.

Darlin appeared by my side. I liked the idea of having a brawler like Darlin with us. Animaon and Fabiana both had pansophy and could both fight with swords. Animaon I suspected could hold its own weight in a pugilist’s bout. But none came close to Darlin’s or my skill.

“We are ready,” Animaon stated softly.

It looked like a pious one of the order of Adjudication with its fraise on its neck and its belt on its waist. It had changed the appearance of its empty center eye socket to make it appear as if it still had an eye there. A pious shun would raise questions that none of us wanted to have to deal with. I was the only one with such a high bounty on my head that I needed to be dressed as such.

I nodded and we took off. Fabiana carried Musa with it as it flew, and Darlin, warily, carried the other imp. I bowed a farewell to Arexon, before letting my wings flap. It was always such a high to be in the air. I felt my tail brush against my legs as I settled into a purely horizontal position. I still wore the silver neckcloth of a banneret to hide my scales. One day soon, once all of this was over, I would have no more need for hiding that I was irira. And my offspring would never need to know the shame and stigma that was accorded to our kind.

Animaon began its decent and we all followed suit. The journey to Chechin was one that had to be made both on foot and by flight. We had to leave the resting place were our compound was erected to enter into the road reserved for those traveling by canoe and those flying. Once we got here, there were a lot more people. I instinctively reached to readjust my headguard, scared that it might have gotten loose during our flight. Luckily, with the plenum’s form of clothing and with all the spectrums that wore clothing because of the unique climes of their ports, it was not such an odd sight to see an uspec as fully garbed as I was on the inter-port trail. Mejo uspecs in general tended to wear headguards and coats even when they were free of the chill of their ever-falling hail. They wore lighter coats, like the one I wore, coats that would be much too light to stave of the cold in their ports.

We flew a straight course, hovering over the myriad of canoes darting by beneath us. There were fast lanes reserved for the expensive canoes that had extra caches of motion tucked in them. Then there were slow lanes for the regular hired canoes moving at the normal pace, and an extremely slow lane for large commercial canoes and uspecs travelling on fast animals. There were not so many of them, but I did see one smoke bear as we flew by. The bear reminded me of Marc.

We must have spent at least an hour before we got to the part of the inter-port trail above Chiboga. This was where Chechin and the bulk of the Monachooni troops had been deployed. They made up over ninety-five percent of the soldiers surrounding Chiboga. There was also a small contingent of Monachooni troops currently marching on Lahooni. If we got Chechin to break from the plenum…the timing would be perfect. I put a rein on my scrambled thoughts as we made our descent. We only stayed on foot long enough to cross into the resting place where Chechin reportedly escaped for its breaks from the plenum’s war. Once we were in that resting place, we darted back into the sky and made for its favorite inn.

The large variation of uspec features beneath us, told us that we were indeed not in an area officially occupied by the plenum. But as we drew closer and closer towards the inn, we noticed a drastic drop in the number of people wandering about. We descended onto a patch of hard sludge right in front of the inn. The presence of armed soldiers bearing the hooni scales and wearing the sigil of the line of the Kaisers of Monachooni was enough to tell us that we’d reached our destination. I noticed that these soldiers wore sigils with cyan bands in addition to that of Monachooni. I imagined it was the mark that set them apart as part of the plenum’s forces.

There were four of them standing in front of the curtains to the inn. They all had their outer eyes formed and four of them filled. They also had bulk. Not bulk enough to rival mine or Darlin’s, but certainly enough to surpass Fabiana’s and Animaon’s.

“Cease!” One of the soldiers ordered when it sighted us. All of the soldiers reached for their swords then. “This inn is closed for business today. Find another establishment.” It ordered brusquely.

“What if we have a penchant for this establishment, and no other will do?” I asked, walking forward.

The soldier who’d spoken drew its sword out of its scabbard. It lifted the pointed edge of that blade into the air in time to block my path.

“I said cease.” It snapped. “This establishment is under the use of the plenum.”

I scoffed at the uspec’s tone. Then, I reached for my head-guard and pulled it down. “I think your duke would like to see me.” I said, once my face was exposed.

The soldiers appeared taken aback. The plenum had made me so popular that these uspecs knew who I was as soon as their gazes locked on my face.

“Take me to the great Chechin,” I said.

The soldier in front lowered its sword uncertainly and then turned questioningly behind it. Another soldier eyed me warily, before turning on its heels and walking into the inn.

“It is the mighty Chechin now,” the soldier corrected.

I didn’t respond to that assertion. Monachooni was still in the middle of civil war and Checha, the former Kaiser, had a living offspring. By right, the port belonged to that offspring as long as it lived. It was Kaiser, not Chechin. But Chechin had control of the Monachooni troops on the inter-port trail while Checha’s offspring had control of the troops in their port. There were of course the commoners who yelled for the offspring’s head because it was irira. Things in that port must be very interesting.

“The mighty one will see you,” the soldier who’d gone in said once it returned.

“Your weapons,” another soldier prompted.

“No,” the one who’d gone in said, “the mighty one decreed that they could keep their weapons.”

I chuckled at that. What ploy was this? I had no answer, but I was happy to remain armed. The soldiers stepped aside and held the curtains open for us to walk in. I was in the lead.

Now I understood why Chechin did not mind allowing us to carry our weapons. The room was filled with soldiers. There were forty that I counted, ten to each uspec we had. Their eyes locked on us as we walked in. The room was set up with tables having two long benches on each side. Chechin sat on a table closer to the back of the room. As we made our way towards it, my gaze caught on a sight that made my eyes widen.

Iriras.

No. This was not good. We were counting on Chechin’s hatred of iriras to force it to break away from the plenum, but if it had iriras with it, then its hatred of my kind was not as strong as it had pretended.

Chechin stood up. It looked slightly bulkier than the last time I had seen it. It rose a goblet up and cheered. “We are honored by the presence of the…” I cringed, expecting Chechin’s mocking voice to declare me as the last brio. Chechin surprised me by saying, “one and only Irira! From the pits of Hakute!”

There were two iriras sharing a table with Chechin. Those iriras rose their goblet and roared. I realized then that I had never seen Chechin as young. When it had been in Lahooni it had appeared stuffy and full of righteous indignation. I had no idea who this uspec I now saw was.

“Get up,” Chechin said to the uspecs seated across from it, “make room for the mighty Irira.”

I couldn’t tell if it was mocking me. But I recognized the adulation in the eyes of the iriras that shared its table. I turned back to my escort and found that Animaon and Fabiana appeared just as confused as I was.

We accepted the seats that Chechin offered us.

Chechin sat and smirked at me. It placed its hands around the shoulders of the irira who sat beside it. “This is my junior cognate, an irira like you, but not kun. Sadly.” It tipped its chin towards the other irira and introduced that one as an agnate with distant ties to Checha. That one was a kun, it pointed out, of the hooni and kute spectrum. It was that agnate that had put together my epic from what Chechin had told it of me. The agnate had been a fan of mine from my days fighting in the pits of Hakute. It was of Hakute descent. Though it was its Monachooni sire who’d claimed it and raised it, it still spent a great deal of time with the line of its deceased Hakute progenitor. I found Chechin’s words intriguing and very confusing.

“You hated iriras.” I said.

Chechin nodded. “I did. Then I found that there were more iriras in my line than not. I have embraced them.”

I was flabbergasted. This was the plenum’s doing. It had to be. They’d found a way to turn Chechin to their side. I looked around the room, at the many armed soldiers watching us as they ate, and I estimated our chances of leaving the hall in one piece as very low.

“Wine for the great Irira and its companions!” Chechin ordered.

“You must regale us with your epic, imperial one,” Chechin’s kun agnate said, as it poured wine from their decanter into empty goblets for us. “I watched several of your fights, but it seems like such an unlikely tale, that the same uspec I saw in the pits of Hakute is the last brio and the heir of the mighty Calam.”
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by olite93(m): 5:38am On Apr 25, 2020
I go like to b alpha reader too... Wey today update abi shey no update
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 5:55am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
Hello, Obehi. What caused the termination? Wasn't there a protective clause in the contract? By the way, please, I'd really love the draft. I'll give a helpful review.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 7:48am On Apr 25, 2020
@olite93 and OluwabuqqyYOLO thank you! I'll reach out to you both soon. I'm sorry about the delay in posting. I've been having some issues with the antispam bot flagging me recently so I got cut off after the first post I made and so I couldn't complete it. I'm posting the second half now. Sorry about the delay.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 7:49am On Apr 25, 2020
I looked away from the kun, turning instead to focus on Chechin’s sunny disposition. I don’t know why it surprised me that the uspec was so changeable. In fact, I admired it. The uspec I’d seen in Lahooni had appeared too intransigent to succeed Checha. This uspec was wiser. Religion was a stupid thing to believe wholeheartedly in. I served Chuspecip in as much as our paths aligned. But I also respected it. That did not mean that I would not happily declare myself Kuworyte if saying so would save my life. I still had no beliefs which transcended my desire to keep myself and my offspring safe.

I rose my glass in a toast to Chechin.

Chechin laughed. It took a hearty gulp of its wine and spoke. “So, it began, why did you decide to make me a halcyon’s epic richer?”

I knew it was teasingly referring to the plenum’s bounty on my head.

“You intend to turn me over to the plenum then?” I asked, trying to project as much indifference as I could with images of my offspring flashing in the back of my mind.

“I am the plenum, Irira.” It suddenly appeared very serious, then it smiled, relaxing its features. “Yes, I plan to arrest you. Unless you give me a very good reason not to.”

I saw with my side eyes that Chechin’s kun agnate was grinning.

“Would a thousand pieces of worth be a good enough reason?” Animaon asked.

I glanced at it. Bribery? Was that what we’d sunk to? Not that I was going to complain. If Chechin wanted to be bought, we had more than enough wealth to buy it a few times over.

Chechin’s cognate choked on the wine it was imbibing. It sputtered and the wine came trailing out of its mouth. Chechin glared at it. It snapped in hushed hooni terms at the uspec.

Chechin turned its gaze to me. “If the rumors of the fabled wealth of Lahooni are true, then that would not even make a dent in your coffers.”

I laughed. “No, it would not, but it’s more than the plenum could ever afford to give you. In fact, I think that if you handed me over to the plenum, they wouldn’t pay you a thing. They’d say it was your job as a member of the plenum to arrest me.”

Chechin’s agnate roared with laughter. “A warrior and a politician. We might be in trouble here mighty one.”

Chechin did not appear amused. Its gaze turned cold as it continued to stare at me. The uspec was starting to look more like the one I remembered meeting in Lahooni. “Perhaps,” it said, “but, seeing as my allegiance to the plenum is not a monetary one, I think I’m going to go ahead and arrest you anyway.” It rose its hand up and I saw several soldiers rise.

We would fight, we had to. We could not allow ourselves to be taken. I did not think the plenum was so honorable that they would not siphon through my memories with pansophy. If I was taken, my offspring would be in danger. I would gladly give my life to protect its. I knew that I would live on in the little one as my progenitor and sire lived on in me.

“If your allegiance to the plenum is not monetary, then what is it? Whatever they’re giving you, we can give double.” Animaon stated.

“There is nothing you can give that would be worth me breaking with the other Kaisers in the plenum.” Chechin stated calmly.

‘Other’? I almost laughed in my head. Chechin counted itself as equal to the Kaisers in the plenum. In Chechin’s mind, it was already Kaiser of Monachooni. Suddenly, a thought hit me. Chechin did not like iriras. Perhaps it endured those in its line, but I did not think that it felt so charitable about other iriras. Not when its tone dripped with derision every time it called me ‘irira’. It wanted to break with the plenum. But what stopped it? There was only one thing that an uspec like Chechin would want. Power.

“The plenum has offered to help you end the civil war in Monachooni. They say they will make you Kaiser. That’s it, isn’t it?”

Chechin’s jaw clenched. “I could stomp on the civil war and end it in a snap of a finger. I do not need the plenum for that.”

My eyes narrowed at it. I tried to think about its motives, but I could not understand them. Chechin was right. With the soldiers it had on the inter-port trail, it could easily end the civil war in its port. So why didn’t it? The lines on my forehead eased as I thought of the answer to my question. “You can end the war, but it will cost you soldiers.” The war in Monachooni must have been worst than Animaon thought, if Chechin was worried about the cost to its soldiers. “If you break with the plenum and they win, you won’t have enough soldiers to keep them from marching on your port.”

“When the plenum wins.” Chechin clarified.

“If.” I asserted.

Chechin shrugged. “Perhaps Chuspecip had a chance before I arrested you.”

I couldn’t help laughing at that statement. Chechin grudgingly smiled. “So, you’ve already arrested me?” I asked. “I could kill you before your closest soldier reaches me.” I stared into the uspec’s eyes. “Perhaps whichever upstart of your line that chooses to call itself Kaiser after you’re dead will be more willing to negotiate with the Founder’s emissary.” I stared pointedly at the irirakun agnate after I was done speaking.

Chechin turned its attention to the same uspec who immediately looked away. It was no longer smiling. “Speak.” It spat the single word out through clenched teeth. Then it lifted its hand and the soldiers who’d risen sat back down.

Animaon took over. “I have the means to help you become Kaiser of your port with minimal bloodshed. Maybe the plenum can give you Monachooni by force, but I can give it to you peacefully.”

Chechin’s gaze roved over me leisurely, before turning to Animaon. “And how will you do that, pious one?”

“First, I will give you a very good excuse for withdrawing from the plenum. It is an excuse that will make every single one of your soldiers hale you and love you more than they ever did Checha. Then, I will make sure that your reason for leaving the plenum spreads to your port. You will find that by the time you return, the irira-haters baying for your cognate’s head will bow to you. Then, I will give you wealth, wealth enough to buy the support of the few nobles and the army loyal to your cognate, Checha’s offspring. When all of this is done, Monachooni will be yours and you will have enough fortune and armed soldiers to enforce your independence even if the plenum should win and desire to take your port from you as punishment for deserting them. But I think you and I both know that if you align with us, Chuspecip will be victorious, not the plenum.”

Chechin turned from Animaon to me. “Why should I serve your irira founder?”

“The plenum wants to unite the spectral existence under their rule,” I replied, “they want to be Kaisers of the spectral existence with all the other ports as fiefdoms under them. They will ask you for soldiers at will and expect your compliance. They will demand taxes and threaten to crush you if you don’t pay. Perhaps the founder is an irira, but it is kind, much too kind. If I was in the founder’s shoes, I would crush every uspec whoever took up arms against me. But the founder will not do that. It will allow things to return to the way they were before. With Uspecipytes and Kuworytes living together in peace. With each port as separate kingdoms ruled solely by the Kaiser of that port. It will ask for no taxes and no soldiers. Even now, we ask for none of that, we simply ask you to go home. Can the plenum say the same?”

Chechin leaned backwards. It raised its goblet of wine to its lips and it drank slowly of its contents. As it drank its eyes remained fixed on mine. I did not break its stare. Then it looked away, and placed the goblet back on the table.

“How is your offspring? You know, that child of yours is tied to Monachooni as much as it is to Lahooni. That is the way of noble births you know.” It leaned forward. “We are, in essence, of one line now that you have an offspring made from the corpse of my senior cognate. One line.”

Animaon bowed. “You are right, mighty one, that is how it is for noble births. In fact, when an uspec ranked as highly as a Kaiser loses in the hatch to the Kaiser of another port, it is often said that the Kaiser who won ought to pay reparations to the one who lost.”

Chechin did not look away from me. “You are right pious one,” it said. “Very right.”

“The mighty Checha was so illustrious that we will offer ten thousand pieces of worth as reparations to its port for its death, and in gratitude to the new life we gained in the process. The imperial Nebula is a credit to your distinguished line.” Animaon responded.

Ten thousand pieces of worth! I swallowed down any retort I had about that amount. I would have to retrieve the money now that I knew exactly where Calam had hidden it.

Animaon reached for a parchment and pushed it towards Checha. “A likeness,” it said by way of explanation. “The money is already waiting for you in Monachooni.”

Checha picked the parchment up. Likenesses were more than just pictures of appearance they were assurances that whatever appearance was on the parchment existed in real time. Once that ceased to be the case, the likeness disappeared. This was another creation that the spectral existence owed to my line. It was one of Calam’s earliest inventions.

Chechin studied the likeness. “And how am I to withdraw my troops without losing the respect of my soldiers and the rest of the world who know of my senior cognate’s oath to the plenum?”

“They are iriras.” Animaon stated. “The oath made to them is null and void because it was made under false pretenses.”

Chechin rolled its eyes. “I know that. I have no proof, if not I would not still be here.” It snapped.

Animaon withdrew more parchments and pushed it over to Chechin. “These are their appearances unclad. I have made many duplicates and will have them distributed around your port as soon as you return with all of your troops. You will be hailed as a messenger of the Kuwor.”

Chechin picked up the appearances. It whistled. “These are real.” It appeared stunned. “How did you get them?”

“Do you accept our deal, mighty one?” Animaon responded to Chechin’s question with one of its own.

Chechin smiled. It stretched out its hand towards me. I gritted my teeth and returned its handshake. As soon as my ring brushed against its skin, I heard calls of ‘pansophy’. I pulled my hand away seconds after we grasped.

“No pansophy yet?” Chechin seemed surprised. I wanted to punch the smile off its face. “I want your assurances that when Chuspecip returns it will not seek vengeance on me or on my port for the allegiance we once shamefully shared with the deceitful Kaisers of the plenum.”

I clenched my jaw. We were winning, but this victory felt like a loss. I did not like Chechin and I did not like the idea of being in league with it. I nodded sharply at it.

“Good. Then I accept your offer. I will withdraw to Monachooni with my troops and wait the war out in the comfort of my palace.” It rose its goblet in the air. “Let us drink to the founder’s safe return.” It cheered.

I despised the two-face schemer, but its scheming was in our favor now.

I rose my goblet and drank of the wine for the first time since it was poured.

“We will ask one favor of you, mighty one,” Animaon stated.

“Ask, we are of one line now, are we not?” it winked at me. I gritted my teeth.

“Do not make your retreat until tomorrow, right when the daylight dots start to appear.”

“Done!” Chechin declared magnanimously.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Ultimategeneral: 8:23am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
Hi,Obehid am sorry you were disappointed by your publishers,am truly am but I think you should stick to your werewolf instead of the were jackals. were jackals! it sounds somehow.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by tunjilomo(m): 8:24am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
This is, I commiserate with you, very sad. Did they give any reason at all?
I pray you find it within you the strength to get over this.
Anything to help, even if to give feedbacks, I will.
Stay safe, Obehid.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Ultimategeneral: 8:26am On Apr 25, 2020
alpha reader! I might not be able to make much recommendations, but beta yea.
so in case you still want to consider my beta position, you can reach me at ultimategeneral01@gmail.com
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by eROCK247(m): 10:32am On Apr 25, 2020
I'm sorry about the termination. I wish I could be an alpha reader but this is the first of your series that I'm reading so I can't do any comparison as such. I wish you all the best still.

Back to Nebud, I'm glad things are falling into place again. I can't wait to know the traitor in Nebud's honorarium.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by HotB: 10:35am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
You can send to me. I didn't read the Awakening though, I read Crimson Night.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Sikiratu: 11:03am On Apr 25, 2020
Hello obehid. It's sad you had to experience this. I read the Awakening and i thought werewolf was great, noble and royal compared with werejackal this maybe due to the nature of both animals. I will love to read and give feedback because i sincerly believe you are a rare talent.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by phoenixchap: 11:26am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!

A tough one there dear, I pray you find strength to carry on. It is one of those challenges but life must continue it has break many good writers and made many as well I will let it make you. Thank God it's not a 5years relationship but a year+ is a long time in our life. Let's get this right we have come a long way I remember how we started 3years over let's get it right please. You have me and other hardened readers we'll do our best to help u achieve your best.
Stay strong.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Madosky112: 11:52am On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
me too
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by ayshow6102(m): 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the disappointment but I know its going to be a blessing in disguise. I'm interested oo
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by GeoSilYe(f): 7:30pm On Apr 25, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!

ObehiD my loveeee, I was just about to ask about our lovebirds and I saw this! Super sorry for losing that, you are a terrific writer and I know you will hit something bigger! I want to read your draft or whatever involves Osezele, Nosa, Victor (lmao I'm cheering up for him because a loved one goes by the same name) and the rest. I've missed them so mucccchhh. Love and kisses
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by lukfame(m): 12:48am On Apr 26, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
sorry about the situation. I'm very much interested in reading and giving feedback Obehid. I can't pass on this wonderful opportunity. Thanks
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by Afz9095(m): 1:52am On Apr 26, 2020
obehiD:

Thanks in advance!
sorry for the dissapointment, i pray may God turn your dissapointment to blessings.
I'm interested in the book.
Re: The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) by obehiD(f): 2:13am On Apr 26, 2020
Thank you ALL for the outpouring of LOVE. You've all really made me feel special and like I can really pull through this I am very very very grateful! Thank you all!

I've tried sending emails to some people but there is a limit on the number of anonymous emails I can send through Nairaland, so I'm just going to leave my email address on here. Please send me an email if you're still interested in being my alpha reader. My email address is:

obehid.writes@gmail.com

I would like to do two rounds of reading where the first round will probably be sent out today and tomorrow and the second round after that. The first round will be a rougher draft than the second round so if you choose the first round you'll most likely get a copy of the book in the next few days but it won't be as polished/well written as if you choose the second round. Let me know which you prefer.

I really can't say enough how much I appreciate this support, it means a lot especially right now. Thank you all so so much smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (52) (Reply)

Adaobi (A Story Of Love, Romance And Adventure) / How Male Blacks Were Sodomized By Gay White Masters, During The Slave Trade Da / How I Foolishly Wasted 80k at a NightClub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 215
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.