Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,369 members, 7,800,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Some Fun While Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Fun While Job Hunting (153413 Views)

If You're Asked For Any Of These While Job Hunting, Run For Cover! / What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. / 5 Great Work-from-home Jobs You Can Do While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (68) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 14, 2020
1stHooligan:
hey bro, I am glad you read my essay. It's real life bro.

That being said, I don't want to throw accusing fingers but moonwater has a point.

there is no rationality upvoting your post. ... Try and be unique. Have fun and a nice life life

Abeg, how does someone upvote his post? .. I'm asking for a friend who wants to participate in the next Big Brother Nigeria show. grin

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 14, 2020
devlishGINGER:
How I spent my holidays and my goals for 2020

Remnds me of that local fowl we wanted to rustle at night when I was serving at a community school in Saki East... Chicken gone AWOL... grin I used to think the best time to catch a local fowl was at night, but, the local fowl proved me wrong!
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 14, 2020
nelem:

HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR

The journey was very smooth and of course, I couldn’t let go of the ever-famous tradition of buying “Ore banana & groundnut”. It is a tradition that was passed down to me and will be passed down to the generations yet unborn.

Anyone who travels along Ore road and didn't buy banana or groundnut, we need to ask the local man some questions.. grin something must be wrong somewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2020
emmanuelsea:
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND MY GOALS FOR 2020

As a matter of fact the crowd was nothing to write home about. Notwithstanding, I was able to attempt all questions within the stipulated time even though some of the questions were daunting in nature and "only a genius would be able to answer them correctly within the short period of time given", I reasoned.

Let me write something home about the crowd: They invited the whole unemployed youths in Nigeria for the exercise grin

A nairalander was cursing whoever set those questions and also instructed no calculator should be used grin grin

Local man cannot can anymore
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by emmanuelsea(m): 7:50pm On Jan 14, 2020
NosaJBourne:

Let me to write something home about the crowd: They invited the whole unemployed youths in Nigeria for the exercise grin

A nairalander was cursing whoever set those questions and also instructed no calculator should be used grin grin

Local man cannot can anymore
grin

I doubt everyone who wrote the test were unemployed?
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 14, 2020
emmanuelsea:

grin

I doubt everyone who wrote the test were unemployed?

Unemployed and underemployed smiley
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Dapocomen03: 9:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR 2020.
My last holiday was spent being broke, broken and breaking things. I will explain why so as I go on. We had just moved from a rented apartment to our own house at the end of August and so my imagination had come to play. I had imagined a colorful, adventurous, blissfully beautiful holiday period but my imagination was dashed by unplanned financial commitments, broken things and much more mishaps. Nobody ever told me moving to yours own house involved extra financial fiascoes. The landlords association said we were to pay community developmental Levy at general, street and unit level. A road was to be graded and we had to pay, before connecting electricity to our home we had to pay. As of now, we are still paying. It has been indeed draining. To make matters worse, I had lost my Job in September , exactly a month after relocating, therefore all the financial burden was solely on my hubby.

By the time Christmas came knocking to cut the story short, my husband and I had almost wrecked our brains with thinking as to how to manage. We were supposed to have my brother in-law and his family over as guests but luckily he called to inform us of turn of events. I was secretly glad about this because it would have required a miracle for us to host them considering our financial status. As if being broke was not enough woe, things started breaking.

To start with, on Christmas day, I mistakenly broke my Husband’s phone. A screen he had previously repaired not quite long. On boxing day, my son’s beloved tablet’s was broken by his cousin also unintentionally. As if that was not enough, the generator fell off the verandah while working. Who did we offend? A day or so afterwards my phone slipped into a bowl of water. U needed to see the maximum speed with which I retrieved it and baptized it in raw rice for the rest of the day.

My sweet beautiful glass burner that I had been using for four years also chose this period to retire as the glass got shattered. The cumulative effect of these mishaps was we woke up to a heated argument on the first day of the new year. We made up anyways before the end of the day.

The last straw that broke the camel’s back was the accident my son had. It was as if undesirable happenings Waited for the festive period to strike. My son hit his head on the edge of the wall while playing. The force of impact was so much that the head split open. There was so much blood, shrieking and shrilling that I almost fainted but the mother in me put me under control. His forehead had to be stitched. At this point, I had had it up to my neck and I was just emotionally spent. The optimistic me was shaken and I began to feel that the holiday was cursed. My husband however quickly cautioned me and lifted my broken spirit by encouraging me .

Now that the holidays are over, things are beginning to swing in the positive direction and I am fervently praying not to have such a holiday experience as I had this past holiday and for the grace and wherewithal to achieve my set goals for 2020. I make a list at the beginning of every year of my goals in their order of priority.

On the topmost of this list is the desire to pursue my masters program overseas. Now this goal of mine will be achievable if I get a scholarship, win lottery or I get a high paying job soonest because at the moment I don’t own the kind of money required for such. I am however a believer in miracles because I have been a constant beneficiary of the aforementioned.

Second to it is getting my own car. I have never been so itchy about something in life like I am itching for a car this year. It has got to the point that anytime I am praying within my husband’s earshot, I shout the word ‘car' like my survival depends on it. Anytime I see a woman or lady driving by, I imagine myself behind the wheels. I also want to learn a foreign language this year. I intend to learn either French or German. My husband has already been teasing me by calling me French girl but I don’t really care. He knows I am a goal getter.

Here is one my husband has constantly been against. I call it rollover goal because I have been rolling it over from year to year even before I got married. I was very close to achieving it when I was single but I ran away from the class all because I had a dream where I saw someone drown at a swimming pool. Now that I am married, my husband is totally against me learning for reasons best known to him. I am still counting it as achievable because I am going to try all my possible best to convince him to allow me learn swimming . I have many more goals enlisted for 2020 bit they are not as financial and time demanding as the aforementioned ones. I really hope to be a better me this year by achieving my set goals, so help me God.

4 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by emmanuelsea(m): 9:24pm On Jan 14, 2020
NosaJBourne:

Unemployed and underemployed smiley
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Scandavu(m): 10:31pm On Jan 14, 2020
MoonWater:
I like your user name except you are not so smart... Upvoting your own post and redacting other posters.... That's not so smart...
Haba We have all been on nairaland long enough now.
which one be upvoting and redacting agjain Are we doing election? I thought Op is the one to select winners? Correct me if I'm wrong

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by HerrDamilord(m): 10:45pm On Jan 14, 2020
We are here.
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Howyeh(f): 10:55pm On Jan 14, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR 2020.
The two holidays I ever looked forward to as a young girl were the after session high school long vacation, and of course the ever heart-warming, totori booster, fun-filled holiday of Xmas. Oh, how I love this time of the year!
At the early period of the last quarter of 2019 however, I was worried I might not have the opportunity to spend Xmas with my cherished family as usual, as I recently just got married.
And if being asked, which wife would without cause, want to spend the first Xmas as a wifey away from her heart rob.
As Xmas season was approaching, I was having a huge doubt in me if the ever soothing togetherness yearly experience with my family is in any way feasible, (as hubby' crazy nature of job wouldn't avail us the opportunity of travelling down together, even if we wanted to). But as God would have it, a non-blood related, but close friend of the family had his wedding fixed for a day after Xmas.... Gbam! ( win-win).
The feeling was mixed anyways, as I knew hubby wouldn't be chanced to go down with me, but we both knew I had to go.
At the earliest minutes of day break on the 24th, hubby accompanied me to motor Park, and we resumed to our photo shoot session,(after the one we had before leaving the house) and some people around had the looks of, "wetin dey worry dez ones"...I care, E no easy na, I was gonna miss my main man.
I boarded bus at Iyana Ipaja motor Park, and as expected, we got to the highways and drove into a jaw - dropping traffic scene that added four good hours to my journey.
To cut the story short, the strong hands of harmattan ushered me into the "PaceSetter State", & I felt a twinge in my tommy.
I was still struggling to totally get out of my slumber (from a tiring traffic experience) when the sonorous voices of hawkers hanging round the bus' windows (where the driver had stopped to drop some passengers) gave me a welcome-home feeling.

" SinSin wan bi o"= Chin Chin is here.
"Buz Meat is ear"= Bush Meat is here.
" Plantay Zips"= Plantain Chips.
"Ur Xmas Sikin"= Your Xmas Chicken.
" buy your Year time, Emptyhen, Yeartel = Buy your Airtime, MTN, Airtel.
I thought I have heard it all, not until I alighted to get a bike to where daddy had arranged to pick me up, I approached the calm looking bike man to give him a detailed description of where I was going, the man responded " Kosin Senta @ Goffnor road abi?", in affirmation to " Coaching Centre at Governor's road" that I had told him.
I smiled, and this totally stirred in me a feeling, as a lady of a fine Sense of Place that I am. Then I replied, Yes bro.
Yipee, IBADAN is home....!
I knew I had a whole lot of "kneeling exercises to do when dad picked me up, and headed straight to Olori ebi (Family head)' house, where most family members had arrived for Xmas/the wedding Parry.
It was a non-stop rounds of greeting with my kneels kissing the ground momentarily.
Afterwards, I had a soothing taste of the food I missed most since I left home, oh, my love for Amala dudu, with ewedu soup accompanied with eran alawo (skinned beef) nor be for here.
We headed home later in the eve, and left for church in the night (for Watch Night) after all the welcoming ceremony.
A part I enjoyed most at church was the warm hugs I gave/received to/from my parents and siblings(as usual) after the declaration of " Merry Xmas" by the Pastor after the service.
In the morrow of the 25th, after adding some finishing touches to the fine deco my sis had already done in the living room, I also joined mom and my cousins to give a hand in the cooking.
An all time thing with Xmas cooking is that it could be likened to a salary/paid job, where one does all the work, and some fat guy in suit gets all the credit. How amazing...lol!
We cooked, and as expected later in the day, guests arrived, and the celebration was lit.

MY GOALS.
A new year they say, is a year to try new things, and aim at greater outputs.
I want that 2020 usher in a mysterious placement for me in my HR - Human Resource career, (as here in Nigeria, it seems as though you must carry "7years work experience" com from Heaven to get placed.) as its a line I love with passion, hence my Certification.
I wish to perfect my driving skills in the first quarter of the year, ( I have had it prolonged long enough) as I am trusting God for a ride for me and hubby.
And this year by God's grace, I want to become a Landlady.
I strongly believe there is nothing too hard for THE BIG GUY UPSTAIRS to handle.
IF HE WILLS, HE TURNS THE HEARTS OF HUMANS TO ANGELS FOR MY SAKE, AND boom, I AM LIFTED !!!
Happy New Year ALL!.

3 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by macnino399: 11:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
How I spent my holiday and my goals for 2020.

In the life of students, there is no better feeling than that of the holidays, free from stress, worries about assignments and project works and to crown it all lectures, hence embracing that warm feeling of relaxation and leisure.
The holiday started right after the conclusion of semester exams, I had little or no time to exchange pleasantries or to do the normal after exams “hives and jives” with my course mates, I headed straight to my hostel picked up my bags and was en route to Port Harcourt.
Not having seen my parents and sibling for over a year I gave them a warm embrace immediately I arrived home oh! What a jubilant feeling of acceptance and relevance, after seeing them I just stood in awe.
On the eve of Christmas, I received a call from a distant friend requesting for a rave but owing to the fact that I’m an introverted phlegmatic being I declined but had to give it a second thought since I was spanked by boredom at home. We visited pleasure park which is actually considered as the “happening area” in Port Harcourt. Rode on moving trains, roller coasters and the likes, the day ended quite horrible having consumed a lot of ice cream and pizza which affected my stomach. Ouch!
So now the long awaited Charismas day is finally here, my dad had a brief meeting with us telling us to embark on a two-day visit to the village to see our uncles and cousins since we haven’t been there for over five years. We quickly had to prepare and boarded a bus to Owerri.
On arrival I met my cousins, we exchanged pleasantries and had a long discussion about school life and experiences.
The next day we went strolling and they showed me places together with the latest developments and infrastructures erected by the state government, we visited ShopRite and amusement parks. Indeed, as the saying goes, a time spent with family is the best time ever.
The new year is here, I had a mixed feeling of excitement and calmness cause of the fact that school is by the corner and the holiday is coming to a close. I bid my cousins and uncle farewell as I head back to Port Harcourt.

Now I am a day away from resumption, been in my final year I am no longer “school phobic”, I had to set achievable goals for the year which are:

To hone my skills in programming and system maintenance, it would be tasking but I am always moved by what my mother would say “No matter how bleak a situation is, I have the power to better it through diligence”. I decided to set out priorities in order to achieve these feet still having my studies at heart

There is no better joy to University students than graduating at the proposed year of graduation with good results. I planned on minimizing play times and maximizing my time for studies and career building thereby increasing my intellect and expanding my horizon because I believe intelligence and grace governs life.

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Akinowon123(m): 12:16am On Jan 15, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND MY GOALS FOR 2020.

Holidays as it has always occured to be since my childhood days was mean't to be a time for break, relaxation and stress free. Mehn, I would say that was exactly how it seems to occur in my last holiday.

Okay, so this is it. I left home on the 4th of January, 2019 for school and returned back home on the 24th of December, 2019. Almost a whole year of not seeing my family members and it was worth it if u ask me. After arriving home on a Tuesday evening which was Christmas eve, I ate the nice meal prepared by my step mother and headed straight to my room and made the plan to sleep. The journey was stressful if u ask me.

I woke up the next morning to meet with old time friends around the neighborhood and greeted some old people living around who were family friends. Later in the day my best friend came with his dad's car as he was aware I was around. We headed straight to town been a Christmas day, and hanged out at a cool spot with other middle aged people and was just enjoying the weather. I would say I repeated almost that same thing for like four days and it was really fun eating outside, playing games, vibing to songs and meeting my old friends. The funny thing was that almost everyone had changed in physic but it was cool.

Few days to the new year I had to embark on a journey with my dad to a nearby City to sort out some official things and we returned back that same day and I rested for the rest of the day and I was only eating and sleeping. Preparation for new year begun and I planned on hanging out with friends as well but this time, I would prefer to be more with girls as I had no girlfriend and was looking forward to one. We met with some cool headed beings and they were ready to go out with us as the bills was on me and my best friend. Did I mention I was schooling outside the country for my masters. One of the girls got to know and boom, the three of them became clingy and were feeling themselves being around someone who has seen beyond the country itself. You know that feeling! Well, I would say my intentions was to have them to my bed and nothing much as non has the real qualities I want in a girl. Well I couldn't land any to bed due to personal reasons but was able to do other romantic drama with them. Anyways, they were not total strangers as we all knew ourselfs from way back.

Fast forward to after the whole new year ish and everywhere was cool. My estate became so dry as student resumed and older people resumed to work, I was left in a lonely man mood at home and all I do is to watch movies on my system and of course eat. One of my hobbies is lip singing, when I get obsessed with a song I would put it on auto repeat and sing along until I mastered all the lyrics very well. This time around, it was an album which was Fireboy's. I would stand in front of the mirror performing to myself and me being the artiste, thanks to gud music.

My school is to resume by March, 2020 and am still at home enjoying my holiday trying to be a better person everyday. Three days ago, I thought of an idea of starting out my YouTube channel which I can monetize to make money, I planned on analysing sport fact, secrets and games. Well, I am still working on it and am hoping it works out well.

My plan for 2020 is to complete my master course this year as I am due and at the same time start a business. I have lots of ideas quite fine but over the years I have come to the realization of focusing on one thing and bringing out the best in them before going into others. My long term plan is to have my betting shop in an area full of youth and been run by a professional for me whenever I am not around. I have studied the business very well and I plan on partnering with 1xbet company as they are one of the best out there and doesn't have much shops yet in Nigeria. Some people doesn't even know 1xbet has shop in Nigeria yet, so am planning on closing that gap in my area and strategically making my money. This would be done when I am finally back to Nigeria this year.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by LordFriar: 12:30am On Jan 15, 2020
HOW I SPENT THE HOLIDAYS. GOALS FOR 2020

Hark now hear the angels sing, A king was born today.. The radio rattled carefreely. It was the 23rd. Christ won't pop till the 25th, silly bugger. I thought. It didnt matter much though for the Lord was everywhere. He was up in the clouds, half submerged in them foggy mists, outlines of a wing at his back. He caught me staring, winked, then mouthed Merry Christmas son. He had faded away, possibly to cheer some other soul, before I could recover.

And man will live forever more because of Christmas day. A lot more good than some deserved no doubt. Especially, men like Ojo. Oily, suave and unstable. Ojo had insisted we kept coming to work till the students fully resumed. He allowed only the 25th, 26th, 31st and 1st off.

Ojo is a school proprietor, 60years by the look of him. Like all business owners seldomly available to properly overlook their businesses, Ojo developed infuriating approaches to stay imagined staff inadequacies. His latest madness was to insist that teachers stayed behind during school holidays to further tutor finalists for their WAEC.

Jerry and I swore to the others we would abscond. Ojo read our minds. Ojo threatened to deduct half the January wages from any absconder. The tutorials wouldn't have been so bad though if Ojo had been open-handed with funds. When confronted with facts of the little pay, he gave that oily smile & muttered something about school fees non payment.

The holidays were discomforting all in all. My reality were facts I couldn't bear. My pay was dismal. Survival clashed with advancement as it had all 2019. I needed to feed yet i needed to save for a computer to atleast start programming with.

In its own way, harmattan didn't also help matters. My soles perspired way too much leaving uncomfortably squishy toes in leather shoes. And the effing cold made you wonder how sunburnt Sahara could spurn such an unlikely offspring. And when I felt things couldn't get worse, the Christmas coordinator reached me, lol.

Apparently Santa Claus needed be brought from Rome. And this time, he wanted the form of tall brother LordFriar. One notable event during festivities was Santa Claus unwise refusal of a fan near him: he wouldn't have any obstruction in the packed hall. By the time things were done, I couldn't be sure if the cloak had been that red or if all that heat I felt was me roasting with blood spilling away.

Come 31st though, I couldn't help but retrospect upon the fading out year. My trials, the glamorous failures, lessons learnt and my new proposed approaches to existing.

After getting a computer hopefully, I shall return to Python programming, and spice it with a little of graphic design for upkeep. Proceed with machine learning - if analysts were right, artificial intelligence could very well be the next biggest thing after electricity. Save enough money to also get certified, preferably with Harvard.

All I request from the readers are prayers and tangible efforts. If you've got any opening where you work, do remember Lordfriar and other job seekers.

CC: ifyalways

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Callertunez: 12:33am On Jan 15, 2020
How I Spent My Holidays and My Goals For 2020
“The life of a Teacher is full of so many taught. Taught of not only lessons given, but also lessons received and learnt"
…As I logged out from the school premises clutching onto the bag containing some gifts for the Christmas given to me by the principal, my heart also clutched on to so many thoughts and taught.
My holiday featured two main events. One was the lovely Christmas treat given to me by my pastor and the second was a studio session I was invited to play the keyboard line for the song of an upcoming artiste the producer was working on as at that time. And oh! Plus I ran into trouble when I tried playing mediator between my friend and his girlfriend when the tension they had growing between them was like that of the USA and Iran.
On 25/12/2019, the city of port-Harcourt was so dry, because almost everyone had travelled. The once busy metropolitan traffic was plied with ease, as most of the vehicles and people occupying the two lane Aba road were now in some other states of Nigeria.
I was to visit my pastor that Christmas day because he invited everyone in church who didn’t travel, to come share the day with him. It was going to be a barbeque Christmas. At his house, the chickens and catfishes to be grilled for the barbeque feast were gutted open and all the internal organs were brought out. Some marks were made on the body of the catfish for effective assimilation of the ingredients that were to be used in roasting them. The air around the compound oozed Christmas. Some other church folks came around and we had a swell time together. We played the different games that were made available, taking turns to beat each other. During the time for feasting, the bonding with all folks present was very cool. Trust girls, they made countless numbers of videos for the gram and snapchat as usual. I returned to my house at about 6:45 pm. Later that night, I tried to recharge with my phone but I remembered the one year anniversary of online recharge that nearly killed me, then I was still serving. I just jejely put my phone down. It was on 25/12/2018, when I tried to recharge N1000 from my NYSC account, then my hand typed N9000 (true story) I felt my heartbeat stop that day. But thanks to Nairaland, I sold it at a discount.
The rest of the days after Christmas were uneventful until 29th of the same month, I got a call to come play the keys for a song under production. The studio session was legit, all the moments created there was fun. From listening to the raw voice of the artiste, to crafting a top notch progression and hook for the song, to making little mistakes in my line, then erasing them and re-recording. I first played the basic progression of the song before I started adding fills to some spaces using different tones and piano voices so that the song would not be empty. The recording took some two days to complete.
I went home from the studio a happy man as I just did what I love so much in this world (playing the keys) then I met my guy who had always complained of his girlfriend to me. She formed the habit of always threatening to leave my guy at the slightest misunderstanding (my guy has his short comings too). She always reclined into solitary, waiting for the guy to be the first to make peace in any quarrel. So this last one that nearly broke the camel's back (that ended up breaking my own head) was a little quarrel as usual, and my guy vowed never to be the first to call for peace. But the pain in the eyes of my guy then was salty. The girl even sent one yeye SMS that reads 'I know you are hurting, but the worst thing you’ll do is to keep me quiet…’ The SMS pained me so much, so I decided to talk to the girl the next day. I did, but didn’t say any thing bad to her o. that same day, my guy went as usual, they settled and started to keep me at arm’s length(shit was painful).
I had written my 2020 goals even before Christmas. I updated and modified them almost every day. After I got back home from the 31st night service for 2019, I picked up my phone, with my heartbeat gradually increasing, I called her. Her name is Lizzy, I knew her when I was in my finals. She was in her fresh year then, I knew I liked her but never told her. But somehow we kept in touch once in a while… so I told her I loved her and would want a serious relationship with her. That was one of my goals for 2020, so I ticked it good in my notebook. My other goals for 2020 are to get a second source of income, use the money to purchase the basic equipment needed in setting up my studio. I plan to quit my teaching job around March so I can concentrate in building my brand. I'm also planning to start up a laundry business so I can employ labor and reduce unemployment even if by one. Most importantly I'll get close to God and increase my bible study time.
6/1/2020, the resumption date for school caught up with me like an armed man and I had no other choice than to surrender.
I walked into the school with not only my hands occupied by different textbooks, but also my heart occupied by so many thoughts and lessons that would soon evolve into taught.

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by SirLiquidGold: 5:54am On Jan 15, 2020
OiOi:
I
My sister asked me, "Kasim, what are you doing", I didn't respond. My mother asked me what I was doing, I didn't respond. The kids asked me what I was doing, I grunted at them. Our neighbors asked me what I was upto, but I shrugged my shoulders.

Wow! all this expenses to build a weight I can be lifting and other's can lift too. But where did the money come from? I don't know too!

"
hahahhah clown. Had to read it like 4 times to understand.
So you sold your dad's battery to build weight. Hahahhaha

6 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by OiOi: 6:37am On Jan 15, 2020
SirLiquidGold:
hahahhah clown. Had to read it like 4 times to understand.
So you sold your dad's battery to build weight. Hahahhaha
grin you don't need to quote all the post bro. Lol
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Trojan8(m): 12:18pm On Jan 15, 2020
How I Spent My Holidays and My Goals For 2020

As we grow older, Christmas becomes more boring and gloomy. I had no plans for Christmas, the plan had always been to drown myself in a few bottles of Heineken and then sleep. I was also looking forward to bantering and bonding with family since most of us lived far apart.

The holiday proper started out on the 25th for me, prior to that day I was still doing my usual work routine.
On the 24th of December, I was super happy as it signaled the end of working at least for some days. I was going to have a few days to myself; doing 6am to 8pm Monday to Friday for the last 3 months had taken it toll on me and I sure needed the rest. My firm closed around 12pm and we were paid in cash, which I wasn't so pleased with at first; hello it's Lagos, till I remembered how chaotic getting cash can be during this period. I did a rough estimate of how much I needed and quickly dashed to the bank to save the rest.

I am not big into shopping but I usually use this period as a perfect excuse to get myself a few items. Got myself a nice jean, two shirts and a shoe I am still proud of up till now (see the way I bargain ehn).

25th December

I was called to execute the two broilers I got the day before by my pman. Maybe old man has forgotten how much I dread the sight of
blood or the lifeless body of any living thing. I decided to do it sake of experiencing how it is done, I should have known better. I got the sharpest knife from the kitchen to carry out this operation, after sweating for about 30 minutes without any form of success I yielded to the thought that this evidently wasn't my calling.
You can imagine how embarrassed I was when my younger brother laid waste to them in minutes without any feeling of remorse of fear, talk about a real man.

Christmas say has always been double celebration for us, as my mom was born on that day. My siblings and I, got her a cake to felicitate her day. As we echoed the 5 letters of 'JESUS' before the cake cutting, I couldn't help but notice how happy and fulfilled she was. The joy of seeing your children celebrating you is probably priceless from her expression, I definitely want to experience it. The rest of the day was essentially partying; food, drinks, music repeat and rinse.

The 26th day of December was spent at a cinema, as a huge Stars Wars fan I just had to see "The rise of Skywalker". Well it turned out to be an epic fail, I just wish I could get back my money. I hanged out with a childhood friend and his bae in the evening, we had cat fish pepper soup and beer while enjoying a surprisingly entertaining United team as they thrashed Newcastle 4*1.

The rest of the holidays flowed from one day to the next without much activities apart from seeing those you love and realizing all these will end soon once the holiday is over.

I realized something very important this December; relationship is probably the most important thing we got as humans especially with your family and meaningful friends.

My goals for the year are:
Upskilling: The importance of building on one's skill can not be overemphasized. I remember losing a job offer with one of the big 4s because I couldn't use Power Bi, it was traumatizing. So on the 3rd of January, I registered for an online Data analysis course with PowerBi on Udemy and so far it has been going well. There's also excel formulation, financial modeling and accounting softwares to look forward to. Also have plans of writing at least one professional exam this year.

Reading more books: I read quite a number of books last year but I was a huge fan of your regular novels till I read Shoedog by Phil Knight. It changed my perspective on business and self development books, so this year I will focus more on building myself through reading.

Reestablishing my relationship with God: 2018 was a bad year for me, had so many challenges that at a point I decided to forget about the church entirely. Really hoping I can build a sustainable relationship with my maker this year, it has done wonders for me in the past. So help me God, amen.

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2020
Scandavu:
which one be upvoting and redacting agjain Are we doing election? I thought Op is the one to select winners? Correct me if I'm wrong
Don't be surprised that those who used an alternate moniker to point out such sharp practices are guilty of same.. lol...
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Dorammy(f): 1:17pm On Jan 15, 2020
follow this link below, see if you meet up with the requirements and fill out the job application form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdS1AUY9QkBecsKD1ZHRyVVQEt9vnPlZQwlSFVbn-knlw78GA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by BEANSndPLANTAIN(m): 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2020
How I spent my holidays and my goals for 2020.
When it comes to Christmas and New Year holidays, it's like getting two gifts in a single box. I don't know about you, but, these gifts comes once in a year. I have life and it's holidays.

I didn't enjoy my holiday to the fullest although my deepest wish was to have had a wonderful time.
The holidays caught me squatting at Afe Babalola University school hostel. I went there initially as a guest to visit my bossom friend from the village. But when he traveled back to the village, I occupied his bed space.

When it was just few days in to the holidays, I was reported as a squatter to "The Blues" also known as the hostel portal. I was thrown out to a half dying moon and I had no where to go except CLT to lay my head. CLT lights were now brighter than before and I could see Christmas lightening and Carol tunes gently soliloquizing yet in resonance with the calm stream-like environment .

In the morning, I called my friend to explain what had happened, he surprised me by asking if I paid for hostel accommodation and banged the call.
Well, that's friends for you. At least, he tried for me because I ate his food for a while.

That same day, 24th December, I and had met some people with the same predicament like me. We all slept in the CLT and talked about places we could go to have some fun.

I suggested we trek to River Ureje. Some of my fellow undergraduate homeless friends argued about the distance or proximity to school but I said it's for sightseeing and pictures. We concluded and decided to set out early in the morning by 6am.

By morning, the number of people that were willing to go had multipled from 8 to 19! 4 girls and and 15 young lads. Some with headphones plugged to their ears and some with Bluetooth speakers. Some with their girlfriend and others with their lightly packed backpack.

I discovered that the Sun seems to be aware of our planned movement and it came out early. I believe now, it came to warn us rather than the misconception that it came to guide us.

The Sun was shining but it was very cold as we went through the Bush-locked paths and crooked roads. My cutlass swinging from left to right like the "AKUPE" leather fan in Peter Edochie's hand.

After a 2 hours walk, the girls complained about being tried and the distance. Some were even bending like corn trees struggling against the wind. I am thankful they didn't say I was taking them for a sacrifice.

In the Afternoon, after a three hours long journey, and passing Omowon village, Dugbe village, then through Iropo oniro ni e settlements, we were greeted by a beautiful scenery : water beyond waters, vast than my voice could travel over.

We found Ureje river banks already teeming with tourists, but that didn't deter the boys. I dropped my back pack, brought out my swimming trunk, went to the back of a wide tree to hide my pin-sized penis. Then I changed into the swimming trunk and ran out like a horse released during a horse race, jumped from a high section in to the waters.

I was only used to swimming pools with a trainer. Here I am head deep under water and eyes hurting. Here I am wondering why my legs is yet to get the floor.

A moment of anticipated joy quickly shifted to that of fear and a struggle to survive. I twisted in the waters and vigorous moved my left and right hand, then my right and left leg, looking for nothing to grab.

Water entered my right ear and I took a massive gulp of Ureje. If you ask me, it didn't taste like a gulp of Palmwine nor a taste of pounded yam. It tasted like " Dele! You are going to die today! "

I frantically moved my whole body hoping someone telepathically hears me. That was the first time I prayed to God in over 7 years, in my moment of desperation.
"God I don't want to die, my parents don't even know where I am."

It's either someone heard me telepathically or God heard me and sent a man to save me. The man pushed me up the water with a sharp jive, but I drank more water. He pushed me again and my afro surfaced and I gasped for air.
Splashing my both hands on the water; I was desperately trying to swim, grab onto the man saving me and at the same time struggling for air.

I don't want to drink water anymore; I am not a fish, but my mouth thinks otherwise. I don't want to die; I want to live, but this water thinks otherwise.

I woke up at the river bank some minutes later. Exhausted and my throat hurting, I opened my water clogged eyes slowly to see dark shadows and gradually it turned grey and it became people. The whole world was standing over me, few familiar faces and deep toned ekiti local parlance. I thought I had died and my soul was seeing other souls.

Now I know death is not an easy journey and so is swimming. I dragged my self up and Ayo gave my arm a firm grip from behind to help me from falling. I went and sat under a tree alone with my hands folded in front of my calf trying to recollect how everything happened.

I was very sober and shy, or maybe afraid. My friend, Ade, came and gave me bread. While stretching his hands out with the bread, he followed it with, "you should have drowned gently without noise and die so that I can enjoy my bread alone". Slowly, I looked at him and I slowly turned my gaze away from him unto Ureje. Ureje the "deathly beauty''.

I kept thinking how nairaland front page news would have read, "Afe Babalola Undergraduate Statistician Drowns in Ureje. Body Not Found". Various captions ran through my mind and possible comments.

My friends continued to swim and we were later accommodated by the Village Head. We were well fed and when morning came, the Village Head hired two buses to transport us back to campus and the villagers bid us bye.

The next day, word quickly spread about my predicament and luck. And with this I have concluded to make being observative a goal this year.

In 2020, any bodies of water more than 4 buckets, I am staying away from it.

I have also decided I won't be going into the Bush, cutting through unknown paths, because non of my generation is related to Orunmila; the god that makes path ways in the forest, leads journies and human fate.

9 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by BEANSndPLANTAIN(m): 2:21pm On Jan 15, 2020
Dorammy:
follow this link below, see if you meet up with the requirements and fill out the job application form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdS1AUY9QkBecsKD1ZHRyVVQEt9vnPlZQwlSFVbn-knlw78GA/viewform?usp=sf_link
What job is it for?
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Veryfoolishboy: 3:27pm On Jan 15, 2020
I want to make something clear to that guy that was called out before.

dashing likes on every posts just to cover up his tracks...

Ify already made it clear she will be the one to decide... And not be influenced by the amount of likes....

6 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Chapter1vs6(m): 5:57pm On Jan 15, 2020
How I spent my holidays and my goals for 2020
Holidays are one of the most precious periods in a year. This year, my Christmas and New Year came early and it was fun filled. What's a Holiday without your loved one's around?

This year's holiday was ushered in by cold weather but notwithstanding, I had to fetch well water and start cleaning the guest rooms in expectation of my sister and her kids. This was on the 23rd of December.

In the afternoon, I was through with the cleaning and had to go eat the meal prepared by my mum. Afterwards, me and my mother left for Oja Tuntun market her Vehicle. I kept insisting that she was driving slowly and it's better I drove.

I knew she wouldn't yield to my persuasion, and I hate going back home late whenever we go shopping together. Well, it's part of my holidays experience, I thought to myself.

We spent up to 4 hours in the market and when we were done, I couldn't mentally add up the time we spent in the market and the very few things we bought.

By the time we got home, my sister and her four kids were already in the house. Oh! It's good to have kids around during holidays. They add a certain glee and flavor to a home with adults.

The kids were happy to see me and I was happy too see my sister and her kids too. I gave them a very fat hug. Later at 5pm, I took the three of them out to an eatery. I bought them meat pies, fish pies, egg rolls and some fruit juice.

On the second day, Tuesday morning, the kids saw me fully kitted for sports. They insisted on following me. I dressed them up and took them with me.

I made sure I jugged at their pace. I did not stress them out so that fatigue will not spoil the fun.

When we got to a busy Junction, I saw Mary, my crush. I have been chatting her up constantly since I knew she was around for the holidays. She smiled at me and I had to stop at her mum's shop, and bought water for my young athletes ; my sister's kids.

I concluded her mum was happy to see me judging by her countenance. She instructed Mary in a strong tone to bring us some plastic chairs.

A part of me wanted to giggle but I had to act like a matured man. And when Mary's mum was not looking, I blew a kiss at her. Mary smiled and shook her head.

I noticed my sister's eldest son was looking at me but I wasn't worried even though I frowned my face. I know as a 14 year old boy, he must have had a girlfriend in his secondary school. I started having girlfriends way back from my primary school.

That being said, Mary's mum promised to come and pay my sister a visit in the evening if she would be around. And I replied affirmatively.

Deep inside me, I was calculating how I was going to meet Mary once her mum comes over to my house.

Men and their gimmicks, I guess at a point in life, we all want our old love back.

That evening, Mary's mum came over indeed, but the "catch22" situation was Mary's defiance to respond positively to my "date offer" at any place of her choice.

I chose shoprite for her because since I came to ilorin, that's the only meaningful location I know. We drove to Viva Cinemas at Fate Road. I took my sister's kids with us too and I am not sure if our trip still qualified as a date.

We saw the movie Christmas and Hearty Cakes then Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The latter movie was a tragic love story and it made her emotional. I keyed into that as an opportunity and told her I love her.

After Christmas, me and my family took a trip to water view and set up a picnic there. I setup a hammock and made a temporary swing for the kids. I also brought out my Father Christmas outfit

I must say the holidays are definitely interesting and a time to express love as the festivities is in the air.

My 2020 goal this year is to get a musical record deal. I am also targeting 2020 as the year to kick start my political career because Nigerian affairs are attached to politics.

I plan to start attending family and indigenous tribal meetings this 2020.
I also made up my mind to work towards all goals that I failed to achieve in 2019.
I hope I get the mental strength and financial effort to make an impact in building a library in my Village this year or start the foundation this 2020.

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Akinowon123(m): 6:34pm On Jan 15, 2020
Over 20 writeups submitted. Oluwa pick my call

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 15, 2020
Veryfoolishboy:
I want to make something clear to that guy that was called out before.

dashing likes on every posts just to cover up his tracks...

Ify already made it clear she will be the one to decide... And not be influenced by the amount of likes....

You all are the same.

I am sure this is another alternate moniker. Or if you didn't submit an essay, why should you be bothered about people upvoting? You are simply part of the band wagon.

And by upvoting, I suppose how you guys do it is to: 1. Create or use your alternate monikers to like your posts. 2. Invite your friends to like your posts, then your friends create alternate monikers to like your post..... and finally, you do the same for them..... lol... And when your team notice other gangs are doing same, you start crying wolf by quoting yourselves upandan with strange monikers.

Just like different drug cartels trying to outsmart the other or taking out perceived competitors that are threats...

Abeg, make person hear word jare... upvote this upvote that... let me read in peace biko
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 15, 2020
Akinowon123:
Over 20 writeups submitted. Oluwa pick my call
lol... e never pass 30?
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by number5(m): 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2020
Ladyjane5657:

Number5 I know u will like this

Lol... Suprisingly, I'm just seeing this (about 5hours ago) .. I've been so busy with my laboratory analysis that I've had no time to visit NL for a while.. I quickly wrote something down after seeing your mention but had no time to go through and post before 6pm cos my DNA samples in the incubator were ready for analysis... grin thanks for the mention babe, i hope not to be too late next time wink
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by number5(m): 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2020
NosaJBourne:

chai! If to say na only 1 winner them dey look for, Na to just gif up participating be that. lol... Na to carry the cup give Number5. I cannot can

Lol.. Funny you

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 15, 2020
number5:

Lol.. Funny you

Thank God o... Entries don close... Bros, come and be going ... we have over 2million entries already grin grin grin grin
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2020
number5:

Lol... Suprisingly, I'm just seeing this (about 5hours ago) .. I've been so busy with my laboratory analysis that I've had no time to visit NL for a while.. I quickly wrote something down after seeing your mention but had no time to go through and post before 6pm cos my DNA samples in the incubator were ready for analysis... grin thanks for the mention babe, i hope not to be too late next time wink
my head yaf catch you... lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (68) (Reply)

Lagos State Teachers Recruitment 2012 / Federal Airports Authority Of Nigeria Recruitment 2015 / Total E&P Limited - 2019 Recruitment (many Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.