Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,721 members, 7,802,174 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story (2391 Views)

The Bridge (18+) [Book 1 of Xav-Verse] [Completed] / The Girl In Black By SAMUEL Franklin (Psy-FY, Action and Thriller) (Completed) / The Beginning Of Anger Is Madness. Its End Is Regret (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 1:53am On Feb 27, 2019
The following story you are about to read is purely fictional.. Its a work of the writer's imagination but stylishly told in the POV of a humorous , devil-may-care protagonist whose veiws and ethics according to him are paramount and evryone else around ccare too if they want to.

There are so many rules in literature but I hate them all, I try to break them , else there wouldn't be any fun in writing . #Life becomes too caked in and boring if you follow too many rules..

So welcome to the club of #LawBreakers . Read with a very open mind... Don't chew my head off until the very End

Thank you in your native language.
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 2:05am On Feb 27, 2019
In all, no part of this story should be posted or copied to any format , digital or encrypted into PDF for commercial or private usage without the prior confirmation or authority of the writer... I was only joking, grin you can copy and paste anyway, provided the writer is acknowledged , and a link shared (optional)

Yes , Im just a writer.. And an Author too who wants to be good at what he does...and yes! I want to be a famous writer too. I know I'm ambitious , but nothing is too big, nothing is too small either if only you believe . And yes I do.

1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 2:14am On Feb 27, 2019
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 2:14am On Feb 27, 2019
The End is Only the End

By Jamin jay aka Creeza
©2019

TWO WAGONS passed by . I paused , to catch a glimpse. One closely behind the other . It was a desolate scene and barely few buildings were left standing with admirable features.

The wagons had sirens. They blared successively, scheming leisurely across the tarmac. The landscape was deserted and one could see the points at each end of the long tarmac. It could have been me , it could had been anyone inside that air delorone .Those flying cars. It could have been anyone.

I noticed also that except for burnt cars and vandalised properties on each side of the road , nothing else remained the same.The sirens disapperared into the horizons at the farthest lines.

I walked towards the once gigantic secretariat in the Capitol, I was still hoping for something better than these.Then it occurred to me: They all knew that the war could have been prevented . It came as a result of low cohesion and frictional disintegration between two prominent religious groups. It was an operation tagged ' Wipe-out' .

For many days, the war ravaged the country sides, taking with it lives and property. Women and children suffering the most casualties. Within weeks, the Extremists muslims had massacred half the population of the christains. The military had been sabortaged and the borders ruined. The airsapce was monitored and no international plane could sneak in or out . In months nothing remained of the once giant of Africa, but ruins of a disguised genocide.

Incredibly, Communications had slacked and the year was 2042. Terribly, nothing remained the same. Nothing.

The voice of the man of God was crystal clear. Everyone in the church heard his message. Chants of alelluyah , amen could make a full album if taken record of . It was a blissful morning and everything seemed normal except for the fact that the church's five entrances were manned. Each soldier armed to the teeth and masked.

The lord will protect his people " the pastor reassured his congregation' Fear not. Worry not!!!"

" Amen !!!' Rancoured the hall.

Everyone forgot what was at stake . well , as for me I did not.

At the left corner of the church, beside a ceramic coated window pane , here I sat, disturbed . I darted my eyes from left to right. The people beside me got suspicious. Sweat broke from my pores and I had a terrible feeling about everything. Nothing should seem normal.

ALL THE while, my eyes fixed mostly at the assistant pastor who never spoke a word but shook his head. The man sat next to an exit door- a door to the back of the chapel sanctuary.

The worship began and everyone was happy and less concerned about their environment, except the guards at the doors and me of course. The sounds of walkie talkies( micro chipped and attached to the Lobe of the ears) buzzed at every given opportunity. Soldiers were busy.

" OVER- Tango to Alpha ....the president' s hideout has been compromised and he's been assassinated..Over " one voice buzzed through the talkie. I had tapped into their transmission . Don't blame me. If you live in a world like mine , you'll be very smart. Smart to continue living.

The guard at the main entrance tried to get the news clearly. He was probably the officer in charge.

He said " Alpha ... " Over " Come in with your last transmission ...."

" Over ...the president has been assassinated. Our men are under huge attack ..over ..' Bullet sounds came through the walkies' we need immediate back up...get General fast ..over"

The man was shocked. he turned to face the church , he walked towards the aisle and then forward to the front. He was barely few paces forward when a guard at the left side of the church released a Lazar slugged bullet in his direction. The impact saw the man , hefty and tall, fall flat to the ground . Dead.

PANIC. It broke out and people screamed. Everyone puzzled as to why the soldier had shot his superior . Everyone was puzzled but not me .

' Allah huakbah!! Chanted the soldier who has shot the man. The other four soldiers replied and so did the assistant pastor.

" Everyone get down ' On your knees and don't move . '

The assistant pastor ordered. He took off his tie and flung his suit to a corner before he put on an imams cap immediately.

Now I was certain what was happening as half the church , about thirty men out of the eighty five or more present , all put on Islamic vests. All wore masks now. The guards at the doors brought in bags . Each containing military grade .42 laser guns and switch controlled lazer beams. They gave it to the thirty men . All guns , fully loaded and the beams shone brightly with terror .

Women and children cried. The men tried to remain calm.

" Pull down that cross " ordered the Imam.

A soldier came forth and shot the strings attached the wall. The cross fell down forward and instantly killed the main pastor. He had been kneeling at the center of the altar, bible in his shivering hands.
Blood splattered and grotesque imagery filled the altar.

" Jesus Christ " cried out a woman from within the congregation . A Muslim soldier slapped her . He hit her forehead with the rear of his .42 Lazer wizard.

She passed out , unconscious on the cold floor.

" One more sound that is not Islamic " The imam ordered the now silent crowd. " One more. And you die"

The president had retained his seat. There was supposed to be an inaugural speech that June but a week before the D day , a bomb attack brought down the senate building . All 109 senators roasted and no trace of remains , just dust. The last carbinet was pressumed strong enough ; The president , the Chief judge , the vice president ( who went missing weeks later ) and the commander of the NRRF : General Fast .

It was supposed to be the last hope at peace, until the president was assassinated that early Sunday morning. The Extremists had attacked hard and they took it straight to the head. A death blow.

Things would never remain the same. This thought stroke my head as I darted my eyes from side to side looking for an escape route.

updates incoming .....
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 7:43am On Feb 27, 2019
The imam took the podium and spoke ' You listened to him . " He pointed to the pool of blood and meat under the huge cross" he preached : The lord will save his people and you replied " Amen! '

He mimicked their initial response.." His men laughed and he continued ' You thought the capital was a safe haven , the chaplaincy in the villa was impregnable , You thought the Muslim Destruction Army would never infiltrate the Rock . well you lied. " He barked ' In shan Allahu...the president is dead' he paused as people reacted to the news.

" Silence !' A soldier ordered. He was the one who had shot the cross to accidentally kill the pastor earlier. The general of the MUDA.

The Imam contiued " The president was killed by his own guards. They know this war is over and the NRRF will not win." his accent was now pronounced. " May allah help your souls , that the vice president stays missing"

He came down to the front of the church . He smiled to a little girl , pat her on the shoulders , wiped away her tears and gave her back to her mother, who all these while had been pleading on her behalf.

He contunued his speech. " Western education has corrupted us . We once lived in unity . we were once brothers , all of us in our lands.Then the white man came with his false religion. Turned us against each other. Even before independence, in the 60's , we were already at war...'

At an audible order , seven men were dragged out and knelt before the altar. They faced the church.

" Now I will give us chance to be one again. I will show mercy, because Allah is merciful '

He turned to the men. " You will denounce your faith and live . Or stick to your God and die. ' You have ten counts to decide..three..four...five..."

Panic..I could feel it in the air. It gripped me too. Yet I didn't care if those men got wasted . I really wanted to stay quietly alive. I had lost everything when the war began . I had no one to care about , not even a bug or insect.

"Eight...nine.."

He concluded and nobody was willing to switch faiths. He got real mad. He pointed his nano slugged 9mm auto at one of them.The courage in the man's eyes terrified even the Imam.

Out of frustration, He ordered the soldiers to drag out ten people from the crowd. Five women, five children.

Two men denounced their faiths at the spot. The Muslim General shot them also at the spot. They fell down backwards, cold and dead.

" Too late " . The Imam said unapologetically .

The women and children were brought forward . I had to do something now. All these muscles and brains were not for waste. I neeeded them to stay alive but I found not the courage to sit by and watch women and children get murdered in cold blood.

The five men were given ten counts again to denounce their faiths. This time around they were given a condition, the first to go against his faith , dies for the remaining four.General Abdul and his soldiers laughed to this. They really had no good intentions towards us, it was clear to me now. Time elapsed and no one spoke a word. Silence. It engulfed the atmosphere.

Then, the soldiers covered the heads of the women and children.

The General decreed a word and said to the five men kneeling down " Their bloods are on your hands'
He gave the order to fire. His men activated their guns and they came terrifyingly to life with a whizzing sound. The cries of the women and children filled the air . who would save them ?

"Screw you Nino. Screw you!! What a jerk " I thought . I knew I could do something. By a freak of impulse I jerked to my feet and said " wait! "I continued " Please , don't shoot them. Wait!'

Something hit me from behind. A soldier had struck me with the rear of his gun and I fell to my knees again.
' Stay down. Dan Iska ( Bastard!) " he cursed me.

General Abdul and Imam Tunde( I knew their names from Adam) , wanted to hear what I'd have to say. They admonished this idea.

" Bring him forward" Mr Tunde ordered.

I told him I had something for him to trade in exchange for the lives of those innocent citizens . I knelt down before him with my palms on my head.

" And what is that ? " He asked " but know that nobody is innocent "

"Gold " I urged" Inside this bag" I pulled the bag handle off my shoulders. I poured the pieces of shiny stones to the floor. I quickly took back a container and put into my trousers . I lied it was my medication but it contained whisky. Ah! Whisky and gold were precious at these times, especially whisky . Man cannot live by bread alone.

The eyes of the MUDA men lit up. They had found treasure and they could sell it to the Soviet Union for more supplies to fight against NRRF and the pokenosy British intelligence.

The imam laughed hysterically, and a soldier came forth immediately. He had been the man who shot his superior at the beginning of all these.He fired two women through the chest. Pipp pipp went the sound. Within seconds , two other children fell flat. He turned to the five men . He picked one from close range. In all, five bodies added to the four on ground.

Cries and screams grew among the crowd. Blood trickled down the aisle....

" Shi:t !' I cursed" what the --"
A blinding slap brushed my face and ears.

" This is the house of God ." General Abdul said mockingly " Mr ?

" Augustus" I corrected while nursing the ringing in my ear drums . It was so deafening . what kind of palms do these guys have.? As hard as bitumen tar. Fu"ck!

" Mr Augustus. Mind your tongue "

I tried to bargain more. I told the officers that I was a thief. I took that gold from the government coffers. I told them I had more from where that came from. My eyes glanced at my right hand sleeves, my arms instead, brought out a map from the bag on the floor.

I told the General that I had found a bunker during the early days of the war and was able to siphon that little from the mass. He became interested, but Imam was not in for the riches.He tried to discourage the General and bring him back on course with the original duty.

"Abdul Raheem " he said and pulled his uniform " we are not in for the wealth. Allah will purnish us if we allow the things of this world blind us from the course of the duty at stake. " he continued" we have been on this jihad for months now. We can't let any distractions get into our way"

Imam turned to face me. Unaware that the General had pulled his 9mm nano Black witch laser gun and targeted at his head, he wanted to say something .

" I know " the general interfered " We can't let anything get into 'my' way. "

A loud drill and tearing of flesh reported when the Imam fell flat to the ground.

People screamed but soldiers ordered them silent. Abdul turned to me " Where can I find this bunker of gold?"

I would never share the spoils of war with my enemy.I had even changed my name to Nino Augustus after I had tricked a moslem to sell me a nano-slugged calibre pistol in the early days of the war. I could not get it from legal means . The moslem uncovered my identity after we both hit a store and looted cash. The storekeeper somehow recognized me . I don't know from where he did so. I eventually killed the moslem at point blank and no one would ever find out where I had buried him. Even till the earth cease to exist.

The General got angry at me for not disclosing my treasure. I demanded a cut. A forty- sixty percent cut, but the General made a statement that tore my inner caucus.

" I don't negotiate with thieves and you my friend , you are a bloody civilian who happens to be a bloody thief "

I have never been tossed like a tennis before in my life , ever but these men used me to play and they beat the hell out of me. They punched my jaws,gave me slaps and tossed me from one blow to another as I tried to recollect who hit me last. After painfully twisting my free will, they resolved to my weakness.

A soldier dragged another woman out and shot her on the leg. They pulled her back into the crowd and left her to bleed out . she would only be treated if I spoke out. I was compelled to reveal the gold's whereabout . Yet , I was betrayed. The woman was never treated and they pushed me back into the congregation. The General ordered his men to get the bag of gold they already had to the altar.

He crossed his legs and feasted his eyes on his new wealth. He sent six of his boys to dig out the remaining gold. They left through the main entrance with the map I gave them.

In about twenty minutes they returned and were alarmed. They told the General about the NRRF army that was advancing.

" Take some men with you . Divide yourselves into three. One group find me that gold. The remaining party should reinforce the resistance at the entrance to the Vila.quickly ! ! " He barked "

The rest of you will stay here with me. This ends today... "

Immediately , people began to muse to a sign of hope.

" Silence!! " He yelled.

One of his men suggested they murder all the brethren.Somehow , Abdul's eyes met mine and in a seemngly miraculous way he declined the advise.

He clenched tightly to the bag of gold. Greed. I knew his kind. His face said it all. Worry. He pulled out an old metal matchet from one of those bags his men had brought in earlier.
Where the Bleep did he dig that matchet from ? I asked myself. It was more like those ancient tools people used in the year 2019.

updates incoming.....
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 11:07am On Feb 27, 2019
Mehn, let's go. This is going to be an exciting ride

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 27, 2019
Interesting

1 Like

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 4:05pm On Feb 27, 2019
hmmmmm.... queenitee dear, hello.
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 5:09pm On Feb 27, 2019
meneski:
Hello,good evening, how are you?
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 5:34pm On Feb 27, 2019
queenitee:
Hello,good evening, how are you?
Am sharp...hw have u been?
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 5:38pm On Feb 27, 2019
meneski:
Am sharp...hw have u been?
Been fine o
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 5:50pm On Feb 27, 2019
queenitee:
Been fine o
Hope you voted?
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2019
queenitee:
Mehn, let's go. This is going to be an exciting ride
Abi nah,,, grin oshere!!! baddest, . Anyways , its not really that long. It was supposed to be a teaser and ground clearer / spoiler alert ( mind me using this in this context) to the sequel of Ben and Ray's story " The Brand of X.

Anyways let's see what happens ... I believe God has a reason why my screen broke.. one part has this long vertical line.. I will fix it when the cash is enough to spare
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 6:20pm On Feb 27, 2019
LightQueen:
Interesting
Thank you. Na God o
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 6:21pm On Feb 27, 2019
meneski:
brotherly , I greet o
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 6:33pm On Feb 27, 2019
Creeza:
Abi nah,,, grin oshere!!! baddest, . Anyways , its not really that long. It was supposed to be a teaser and ground clearer / spoiler alert ( mind me using this in this context) to the sequel of Ben and Ray's story " The Brand of X.

Anyways let's see what happens ... I believe God has a reason why my screen broke.. one part has this long vertical line.. I will fix it when the cash is enough to spare
No problem, teaser or not we are still going with the ride grin grin grin
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 6:34pm On Feb 27, 2019
meneski:
Hope you voted?
No embarassed embarassed was in one school in ogun state, couldn't go home
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 8:40pm On Feb 27, 2019
Creeza:
brotherly , I greet o
bro hw r u?
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 8:43pm On Feb 27, 2019
queenitee:

No embarassed embarassed was in one school in ogun state, couldn't go home
ok... So hw r u feeling dis write up?
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 9:05pm On Feb 27, 2019
meneski:
ok... So hw r u feeling dis write up?
Creezaaa is really trying, like this is great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 9:19pm On Feb 27, 2019
queenitee:
Creezaaa is really trying, like this is great
Creeza u de hear?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 11:32pm On Feb 27, 2019
meneski:
Creeza u de hear?
my brother , I hear o.... God is the biggest artist in life, its by his grace we are alive o
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 11:50pm On Feb 27, 2019
Creeza:
my brother , I hear o.... God is the biggest artist in life, its by his grace we are alive o
...oya update abeg.

1 Like

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 11:52pm On Feb 27, 2019
continue here , please

The matchet brandished in the sunlight rays that sipped into the church through the atmosphere.
He grapped a gun and looked set for war.

" We will kill them later. Or let the war catch up with them" He barked instead. " I'll kill these NRRF rats here once and for all . Even Allah himself cannot stop my victory"

One of his men looked at him in disbelief.
He gave him a reply stare, then his eyes glanced at the gold before he returned it to the soldier. He said to him

" Nobody" He shouted " Nobody can stop our victory today . Cheer up men. Nobody can . May Allah be praised"

His men chanted in unison.How pathetic it felt to watch these mindless bigots follow such a leader. I picked their stupidity to be etched deep into their brainwashed heads. I smiled to the idea, retreating to where I was before , I squatted down in pains.

My eyes got fixed at the sanctuary door behind General Abdul. I thought to myself " This just got started. But I can't join these moslem fools and sit here to get into the trap of the NRRF. " To me , we where all sitting ducks. I darted my eyes from sides to sides , racking my head for an escape root.

MEANWHILE, Outside the entrance of the church, beyond the Villa gates, the Muslim Destruction Army and what was left of the NRRF battled out their guts.Bullets flew up and down. Lazer slugged pins flew left and right.The MUDA strong hold of the Capitol was becoming shortlived and weakening .

The die- hard General of the NRRF was in no position to relinquish his last chance at capturing back the Capitol and the Nation. General Fast as he was nicknamed was swift with his left hand. He could pluck down an enemy in milliseconds without warning .

" Move your asses out and take down these moslem barbarians" General Fast ordered his boys " We have women and children inside the caves and inside the Villa, will you allow them suffer any longer?

" No ! Chorused the air.

" Then pick up your lazy asses and stop fighting like my grandma even before the 90's."

" Charge!!!!!!"

" Commander " he called out into his walike talkie from his amoured vehicle.

The commamder 's delaflota ( a jeep powered by air and heat energy) retreated and met the General's company at the middle of the formation.

The General told the commander that they must recapture the capitol. It was a do or die affair.

" I'm doing this for the people " He said as he ducked a stray lazer bullet. Then he continued" And for my brother .The president . They struck me a blow. I will tear down every resistance they put up.The almigty God will see us through.Fear not!!"

The agent who had called for back up earlier had reached out to the General in the neak of time.

" Yes sir!" The commander in his forties said and raced upfront the battle line. They were winining.

It was obvious . The victory was phyric as it came. A lot of their men were falling too.

Inside the Church...

The MuDA forces were prepared to die for their faiths. They seemed very calm.I don't blame them. What do you expect from them?

From under the chair I sat, I slipped out a pistol. I had put it there earlier when I entered the building. Again, if you really want to continue living in this cruel world of mine, you have to always prepare for the worst and hope against hope for even the worst. Be wise and you'll never be taken by surprise.

It was about time. But I couldn't do it alone. Take out 24 soldiers? I needed help. A man squatted next to me. His eyes had been on me for a while.it was long now and it got irritating . I actually didnt blink his way.

Then he threw the question ?

" Are you NRRF? The man asked.

" No " I cocked the gun silently and switched into the silent-fire mode.

" Then , dont do it alone "

I stared blankly into his eyes " Why? Care to help?"

" No" The clean shaved man said.He scratched his jerrycurled hair and adjusted his eye goggles.

He continued" But I know someone who can" he paused then said " By the way am James and this is Cara Gun-smoke"

I raised an eye brow " Gun smoke?

A fair lady smiled briefly next to him... She said " I guess everyone has an alias these days. But truthfully thats the name"

" Wow! " I exclaimed.

" So where is the person who can-"

I thought there was still someone else to help. Even at this, I still couldn't understand why James wore a cap inside the church. Well he had his reasons.

Updates incoming,

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 12:00am On Feb 28, 2019
I was about asking again when a soldier walked by. I found my palms hiding the gun under my shirts as my eyes looked away innocently.

" She- Yes she will help you " James dashed his eyes from horizon to plains " trust me on this. You are not alone."

" How many of you are there? I asked again to be sure.
" Just us. The both of us"

I stared at him." Have we met before ? The face."
He looked at Cara then back at me.

"No sir! My best guess : its just face resemblance."

Cara introduced herself as a special NRRF agent. A spy and she was ready to help in any way possible. Her past had been blood laden and she was the right person for any tactical operation.

" Why are you doing this? I asked , convinced rather afraid ,atleast . She didnt seem like she would bite me .

" Revenge " Cara breathed in. " My uncle was the pastor they murdered".

Anger. Pain. I could smell it in the air. Holy bulocks!! Be careful Nino.

" Okay! " James began" So how are we going to do this?
I took a snappy glance at the soldiers , heaved in a sigh and replied " Follow my lead"

Moments later...

Cara stood up, blood stains on her dress. The soldiers were puzzled as to what was happening. She screamed for help. Tears caked her cheeks , she fell down again into my arms.
She convulsed and splattered foams out of her mouth . it was intense that even me could believe it to be true. Oh what an actor !

" Help us! " I keyed in and begged the soldiers nearby .

Everyone in the church hall was startled. Their attention focused on the direction the disturbance emanated .

" What's going on ,eh? What's happening there, eh? Why cant you people die in peace. Must you make noise, eh??
" disturbed Abdul questioned. " Yusuf? What's happening there ?

Panic. Adrenaline burst into the atmosphere....

Updates incoming, ......

Please open your mind to creativity, you will appreciate the beauty of prose and fiction in a whole
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 12:06am On Feb 28, 2019
you r doing just great... Way to go!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2019
Yusuf do something " a call came from the general to the soldier nearby where we were.

" She is bleeding " James added". Sir , please help us. She is an innocent girl "

Yusuf bent forward to look at Cara's wounds. He touched the enclave of the abdomen and his eyes glowed. It was just a splattered blood from the dead soldier at the center of the aisle and not Cara's . We had fooled him and the foam in her mouth was whisky bubbles.. That too, he fell for. Before he could shout,I sent a silent slug into his chest .

" Urrggfff" Came Yusuf's voice underneath his mask. He tried to grab his lazer- wizard gun.

" pipp" came another silent slug to his collar bone. His arms palaryzed.

Cara instantly pulled Yusuf's 9mm gun. I capitalized the round with another bullet to his forehead.

He fell flat unto the floor and sporadic gun shots to the ceiling followed. His fingers had been on the trigger before he died.
" They killed him!! Shouted a soldier

I jumped behind offering boxes. They were layered three upon a row.From here I picked a target. I took the gun off from silent mode. My 9mm sounded weak against these MuDA army .42 lazer rifles.

I ducked down to an exclamation point from a soldier. For a second I thought I felt pain. I was sure it was just a stab in my gut from my nerves.Not as I first imagined, a bullet.

" Cheap shots" I said " I can do better"

At impulse I popped my head up . A laser to the chest, then to the left arm's blade , followed by killer blow to the head almost immediately. The soldier fell like a pack of cards.

I smiled, only to my own detriment. A stray bullet almost caught me on my way down the cover.

Cries and Screams. Women and Children , including men all escaping the church premises. They mobbed down the guard at the entrance and trampled upon his corpse.
Bullets flew from different angles.

I caught a glimpse of Cara. She racked down a line of soldiers with her new riffle.She had tossed the 9mm away afer the bullet finished.she slid on the floor and swiftly grabbed Yusuf's gun only to turn and do the act of justice within seconds.

" Hmm! No wonder she is called Gun-smoke. She sure really do know how to smoke the hell outta gun" I said blankly.

She looked at me and said" Go on. I'll cover you."

I hesitated." Eh? I never trusted anyone with my life. Talk more a lady and an NRRF spy for that matter. Are you kidding me. ? No way I'm letting my ass get whipped for trusting someone I just met.

" Go on. Now" She repeated.

Oh well. She might as well shoot at me if I disobey any longer.I scampered and came forward toward the front of the church. This time, scrouching behind chairs. Wooden chairs. Thank God they had covers benearth.
There goes another fool. I sighted a man and targeted his chest, left arm and pinpointed a slug to his forehead. Three sounds of pipp pipp pipp each and another duo of MUDA soldiers lay dead where they once stood.

General Abdul took cover behind the altar. Once or twice, he popped his head and cut down innocent civilians escaping through the doors.

His men assaulted my position.
The effects drove shock waves down my spine. I ducked.

Cara cut down the five soldiers at a swipe. She reloaded and silenced the man who had been firing her cover.

She moved forward . Then came back momentarily " Sir, you should get out of here " She said to James whom she had been protecting all these while.

Did you guys forget me. Jeez!! I guess not. I battled with my wits and these men sent from hell to torment me . I had brought down nine soldiers and my chest pumped adrenalin.

" I'll cover you." Cara said to James" The country needs you "

James scoured and scampered as he fled through the back door.

Abdul fixed at him but a shot from Nino's point of view to his hideout saw the bullet boring a pillar. He had missed James while trying to duck.

With most of his men dead , Abdul fled through the back door. The one to the sanctuary . He zoomed back to pick something. He dropped the matchet on the floor as it would slow him down. The black bag casted a shadow as he fled with it.

" Cara! " I shouted . "Cover me"

I would really love that now. My gold is running away with two legs.

She gave a nod and opened fire with the remaining soldiers.

I gave Abdul a chase. I was barely at the door when a sharp pain stinged my left arm. The pain was subtle and biting , blood escaped my veins.

In anguish , I revved out. I touched the spot where I had been shot.it was hot and painful.

One of those uncircumcised bastards had finally gotten me. Why complain? He who lives by the gun gets a lot of ugly scars.

I fell down. I sat behind the door and watched Abdul flee the corridor. His footsteps in the flooded tunnel gave blop blop sounds and his shadow casted on the walls of the tunnel.I summoned courage to continue the chase.
I struggled up . One hand clutched to my favorite 9mm, the catridge was left with one bullet.

"Bleep! " my finger touched the spot. "Arrrhghhh"
Focus . Come on Nino. I tried to get up. The pain shot me right back to the floor again.No not now, come on Nino you can survive this. Die another day. I got up.
I tore a piece of my clothing. I princed the pin out of my arm. I poured whisky on the wound. I drank the rest and flung the bottle to a wall opposite. I tied my arm and limped to my feet.

I found myself following Abdul's trail.

Voices of the NRRF soldiers came from within the Church. General Fast and his men had already arrived and in a single swipe, they ripped down the last of the MUDA militia.

I paused.I smiled. Yet I had to escape the National Forces too. They never liked a thief and I am one till I breathe my last. Don't blame me. Life comes with many choices. I chose this path.

I dashed into the semi-lit tunnel and hoped for a final blow on Abdul. Just one bullet will do the trick, although I needed three.

General Fast smiled when he silenced the groans from a terrorist. He took him out on the floor with a single bullet to the left eye.The victory was great but it came at a price. He had lost a lot of good men that day. Men he considered brothers and sisters.

" Clean up this mess" he told his commander.
He debriefed Cara on the events in the church before his arrival. He stared at the main pastor's remains benearth the crucifix.

He did the sign of the cross and remembered his catholic days as a mass-server,it had been holy.

Incoming.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by meneski(m): 11:49pm On Mar 02, 2019
na we de here...na we get am...giv us more!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 4:45pm On Mar 03, 2019
Wawu
Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 12:38am On May 19, 2019
" who would do this ? He asked Cara.

" Only a monster, Sir" Cara said admist tears" permission to go-"

" Pull yourself together soldier. Be strong. Cara easy on yourself"

" Permission for what? Special agent Gun-smoke" General Fast Onibajo asked.

" To go after him, sir"

" Have you completed your initial task?"

" Yes sir!" She stood at attention ." He is alive and kicking, sir"

" Take me to him"

" They both left through the back door. A group of soldiers followed the General's parade . Outside , the wounded received treatments , the dead were covered with nylon bags.

The Enemy soldiers were packed up in a mountain of bodies . Over a hundred of them and counting.
Beside a first aid Kit and armored delarone was James. He helped out with the wounded. One of his patients was the woman who had been shot on the leg earlier. She had survived and James couldn't be more than happy.

" You will be fine. " He assured her.
He looked at a little girl who had bruised her arm. " The war is over now. Everything will be fine. The good guys have taken care of the bad guys..."
The pretty black girl asked " Can I go back to school now?"
" Yes dearie . After this period of trouble , schools will reopen . Don't worry . Everything will be fine."

" Attention! !!!! General Fast ordered his men.
They all stood erect and faced James. James took off his wig to reveal his gray hair. He was about his sixties. He turned to face the soldiers .

" At ease . At ease gallant soldiers" He specifically looked at Cara who was now in a bullet proofed vest upon her casual dress.

He faced General fast, already in his apparel.
" And you , Fast, thank you for saving my life"

" Anything for the country " he replied " I hope agent Gun-smoke took good care of you "

" She was more than a friend and protector. And there was another man."

" Nino? Cara helped out.

" Yes " James asked out and searched for him . I don't see him anywhere."

She told them that he had disappeared with in the fight. That he had fled the doors with the civilians and that she had hoped to see him outside here with James but unfortunately he was no where near.

" No problem soldier" James assured her.

" Thank you Mr Vice President, Sir" Cara said. " Permission to fall out sir"
Vice president Jeremiah Aderemi nodded. He had changed his name to James. Had been placed under Cara's care and presumed MIA by the MuDA forces.

Only top officials in the National Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Forces knew he was alive and within reach. The war is over now , he can act as president to reinstate the nation's status.

Cara went back into the Church. She waited for the coast to clear . Then she walked to the altar. She momentarily stopped at the pavilion to looked upon the surface where her uncle had died. She stroke off a tear from her eyes .
She grasped the matchet which Abdul left. Flung her .42 lazer- wizard rifle over her shoulders. In a blink , she escaped through the back door and into the tunnel filled with water to the ankle length.

Meanwhile.....

At the middle of the tunnel ,myself and Abdul fought fist to fist. Our guns lay bare on the surface. Abdul pounced upon me a panther.He was furious.
I jabbed my fingers into his eyes. he launched a blow, squinted his eyes in pain , I pushed him off.

I coughed. Regained my breathe. Crazy man. He launched again, this time, he was ontop me and I found myself and my head drowning in the water.
My breathe ceased. Come on Nino. Come on.You can do this. Don't let him get you Down
Die another day. Today is still fresh.

I jabbed my fists into Abdul's nose and blood splattered everywhere.The effect made him loose grip on my throat.
I staggered up . He spat out blood. Fury. I hated the ugly sight of it. He came again , madder than ever, with his pocket knife this time around.

I found myself drifting backwards. Uncertainty . I knew the taste of it.But it came upon me anyways.

Abdul swung the knife...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by Creeza(m): 12:42am On May 19, 2019

I dodged. He swiped it again. I twisted , grabbed his arm. A swift blow to his left jaw. We struggled. I slapped the knife off his fingers. Abdul lost focus. Good one. I thought stipidly to my own detriment. Should I be thinking?

Bunduglles!! He rammed a blow into my left arm. The spot where I had taken a gun shot. The pain stung my entire system. I fell instantly to the floor and kicked off Abdul. He had jumped upon me .
Everything Happened fast. I launched up like a wounded buffalo. I landed upon him . A blow to the left jaw. A bite to the right ear. Two more blows to his left jaw. An elbow punch and a bite again until blood swooshed unto my face.

" Arrrrrrghhh" He shouted in pain. He had lost energy.
I got up . He bled out but I didnt care even if his nose was broken . I jerked few paces away. He grabbed my leg.

A slap to Abdul's left temple left him half conscious. I had rammed the bag of gold to his temple after I picked it up .

I spat out blood. Where did that come from.. I felt a sharp pain I my gums. In pain, I grabbed the knife from the floor of the tunnel.

" We can negotiate, we - can"

I smiled " You don't negotiate with people like me. Remember? You bloody terrorist!"
" And as dumb as you are " I continued " I gave your men the wrong direction " I produced a map from my right sleeves.

" This is the original and correct one. A left turn down this tunnel, further up ahead and you get to the bunker. And this bag I collected the gold early yesterday. Not as long as the first days of the war. You were even dumber to believe that story."

Abdul laughed. He nearly cried. " I like you" he said. " I swear . I do. But hey! We can still sort things...things out, something...we can still eh? " He coughed out blood.
He tried to sit up inside the water.

" I won't' in fact I will leave you to the NRRF. They will handle you. " I turned to leave.

A loud clap of metal cut , like a beef chopped off, caught me off balance. Spikes went down my spine. I touched my body, nothing but just pain on my left arm. It was something else, I turned to see Abdul kneeling down.

" Bastard!!!"

" Thats for my uncle whom you murdered" Cara yelled.
She pulled out the matchet. Pain shot upwards to Abdul's brain. He was still alive but he would have wished he were dead. Only if it came any sooner.
Unknown to Nino, Abdul had resorted to his last weapon. A pointed metal from his uniform. He had thrusted himself upwards with all his might and energy . But Cara had attacked first.
Blood pumped out of his artery. In his neck . it polished the matchet that Cara had planted in there.
She pulled out the weapon. The gush of blood was breath taking.

Another scream came, accompained with another blow. Cara disconnected his head from his neck. Power. Strength. Agility. Anger.

I was awe struck. I was evil but not as evil as this Cara. I moved a step backwards.

She pointed her rifle at me. Our eyes locked in a gaze. I felt something. Fear and care. I could easily maneuver her but I stood brick silent and immobile.

She tossed me the weapon. I caught the gun in mid air. Not what I had expected . I smiled and turned to leave.

" I never got your name." Cara asked in a loud voice.

I backtracked . I told her my name. I smiled.

Cara asked about the troops that went for the gold.The ones sent by Abdul.

" I led them to a trap" Nino said " they are probably toast in NRRF net by now"

She smiled and breathed in. Stood silently , her eyes blinked in the semi dark tunnel. The rays of light that trickled into the tunnel glowed crystal upon the blood-covered waters.

As Nino faded into the dark corners of the tunnel , Cara's voice came for the last time.
" Take care. Chinonso Augustine. I hope we meet again"

I heard that . A smile grew on my face. I had told her my real name. Only immediate friends and family knew me by the name. The name that store keeper had called me, which makes me wonder till now. How did he ever know my name.?

Sure, Cara. We will meet again. I thought instead. You will come after me with your big guns by the time I loot this bunker.

The war could have been prevented . I thought . but I am happy it has ended. Or has it? The end is only the end of this episode. This struggle. This religious struggle. And man will always be man, lack of understanding will always make them draw swords against one another.
I shook my head. I stood upon the bunker . A wicked smile grew on my face as I tapped the metal entrance. I pulled the cover and a glow of glitter changed my facial complexion.
Adrenalin rushed into my veins. My mind, soul and body was ready for more adventures.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The End Is Only The End( Completed) Short story by queenitee(f): 2:48pm On May 19, 2019
Creezaaaaaaaa, after like how many years? grin grin grin Welcome. Chinoso which one is smiling every 2 seconds bayii?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Her Painful Story . / Writer Needed / The One (A Supernatural Story) By Dpeace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.