Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! (4013 Views)

Biafrans Read Attentively / Governor Abubakar Sani Bello Says Niger Apc Delegates Will Listen attentively / Tinubu: Fani-kayode Speaks On Attack Of Igbos In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by teufelein(f): 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2019
IGBOS IN LAGOS

By Dike Chukwumerije

I think integration is important for pragmatic reasons. That you can be an indigene in the same place your cousins are not. You understand? That there is no Nigerian today who does not cross the divide endlessly – an indigene here, a non-indigene there; an indigene now, a non-indigene tomorrow. So, to agree to a basic set of rights for everyone is not really politics.

Yes. Beyond the academic words of our constitution, let us begin to have these discussions - honest discussions - about the rights of non-indigenes. Same as the ones Europe is having. To define clear paths to integration for our internal migrants, same as we ask for our external ones. For we too must come to terms with this, that migration is a fact of life. Like the harmattan or the flood. It is something you manage, not stop. For it is driven by instincts older than any border, deeper than any culture, rooted in the most primitive parts of our humanity. See? Man was born a migrant.

So, how do we manage it? These are the honest conversations we must begin to have, same as in Europe. Beyond defining ‘citizenship rights’. Because there will be many who think, no problem, you can be a citizen of Nigeria but a non-indigene of this state. So, let us isolate the issue. Let us evolve simple answers to a direct question – what must a non-indigene do to become an indigene here? From local government to local government, from state to state, not something superimposed by an impersonal constitution, from town hall to town hall, from village meeting to village meeting, let us evolve simple answers to a direct question – if a stranger wants to become a full-fledged member of this community, what must he or she do? Tell us.

For even custom and tradition must deal with assimilation. Yes. I know of an Igbo community, for instance, with a mechanism for turning a woman into a man. You know? That at a certain age, she can do this and do that, and will thereafter be accorded the same privileges as a man. Or how there are rites for turning children into adults. You know? Before you do it, you are a girl. After you do it, you are a woman. Like this, I ask you, in this village, how can a non-indigene be turned into an indigene? Yes. Even if we start by saying, it is impossible, then haggle it down to a 10-year hurdle, it is better. If we say that after 10 years of residence in a state you can officially claim it as your state of origin, no ifs or buts or maybes, it is better than leaving these things unspoken.

And while we struggle with this, please let today’s non-indigene remain sensitive to this. That in countries with strong traditions of universal basic human rights, a minority group may rely on them alone for protection. But here, we are not yet there. Here, we must rely on my grandfather’s advice, ‘A na-eji mmadu a gba ogige.’ This is what he used to say. That if you want to be safe in your own compound, then help build the compounds of those who surround you. For, in a country with weak institutions, the best defense against hostile indigenes is friendly indigenes. Like this we must avoid isolation. For there will always be those, across ethnic lines, who share the belief that there will be no peace till one group has swallowed the other. This is normal. And they will re-tweet accusations but not rebuttals, turning every quarrel into a war of the tribes. This is normal. But there will also be those, across ethnic lines, who do not think like this. These are the ones who must find each other, and hold hands. Yes. These are the ones who must morph into that ‘centre’ which holds when (not if) incidents occur.

While we wait. Yes. While we wait for our constitution to evolve from Pinocchio into a real boy. For, in the end, it is true that the greatest obstacle to integration is the unpunished crime between us. For where perpetrators remain faceless, victims blame the group. This is why the Chinese say that one law properly enforced is worth the words of a thousand sages. I tell you. More strategic than Unity Schools and NYSC, without a doubt, the greatest investment a country can make in Peace is Justice. So that those who carry out dastardly acts, claiming to do so on behalf of entire groups, can be properly and publicly disowned. Yes. Only then will this matter rest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by teufelein(f): 6:34pm On Mar 01, 2019
My Response to Dike Chukwumerije:

When will you face the reality that all this your integration business can never work because despite your enormous goodwill, most Nigerians are just the opposite of what you would like them to be - bigots.

Wake up to reality biko. Use your enormous talent to promote practical reality not unworkable platitudes.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Gandollar(f): 6:36pm On Mar 01, 2019
Na wa o...warris all this for chrissakes? Who are these faceless self-appointed Igbo spokespersons?

6 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Fatherofdragons: 6:38pm On Mar 01, 2019
Which kin long thing be this, do you actually expect people to read all this? Biko summerize grin
Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by itchie: 6:45pm On Mar 01, 2019
All this long story is nonsensical. The constitution guarantees the right of every citizen to reside in whatever part of the country he or she wants and still enjoy the full rights of a citizen of Nigeria including the right to vote and be voted for because I know that all this long story is just because some stupid idiots think that because you are living in their part of the country then you don't have right to vote for candidates of your choice. To those people, I say, make una get sense for this una life

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by itchie: 6:45pm On Mar 01, 2019
Fatherofdragons:
Which kin long thing be this, do you actually expect people to read all this? Biko summerize grin
Lazy Nigerian youth sad

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by muykem: 6:47pm On Mar 01, 2019
Igbo are generally trouble maker due to their ego. Either we agree or not average igbo man like to ask other what they can't accept. I'm staying with them so I know what I saying. Imo state person can not work in Abia civil service even as a messenger. If they are so hostile within themselves then what happened to other tribes. I know many places in igbo land if you are not from there no matter how much you bring they will never sell land to you. These are the people calling Lagos no man's land meanwhile they didn't inherited a plot of land there but bought it from owner.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by WisdomFlakes: 6:48pm On Mar 01, 2019
Like I said in an earlier thread, smart igbos should take a cue from Dangote. He's smart and diplomatic enough to not mix his businesses with politics and it has served him very well up till today. Even if he will vote Atiku he won't make noise about it. Igbos are majorly traders and there's always life after elections. You can't expect to enjoy favourable policies from the same political party whose candidate you are overtly working hard to undermine after such party/candidate ends up winning without your votes. They should be wise.

17 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 01, 2019
THE SIMPLE FACT IS THIS. THE KIND OF HOSPITALITY THE IGBOS ENJOY ALL OVER NIGERIA. SUCH HOSPITALITY IS NOT RECIPROCATED IN IGBO LANDS TO OTHER TRIBES LIVING IN IGBO LAND, THE MOST IRONY IS THIS, NOT EVEN TO FELLOW IGBOS IN THEIR OWN HOMES ARE HOSPITABLE TO EACH OTHER WHICH IS A MAJOR REASON THE IGBO MAN IS SCATTERD EVERY WHERE ABANDONING HIS OWN HOME BECAUSE IT IS NOT HOSPITABLE EVEN TO HIMSELF.

IS IT NOT AMAZING HOW THE HAUSAS IN LAGOS TRAVEL BACK HOME DURING ELECTIONS TO VOTE FOR THEIR OWN WHILE THE IGBOS STAY PUT TO MAKE TROUBLE?!

AND ALTOGETHER, WHAT A GREATER IRONY HOW IGBOS HAVE RECIEVED SO MUCH HOSPITALITY IN LAGOS THAT THE ARE EVEN CHAIRMEN OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS. BUT THIS CAN ALMOST NEVER BE THE CASE IN IGBO LAND. A LAND WHICH NOTHING REIGNS EXCEPT ENIMITY AND DISUNITY AMIDST KITHS AND KINS.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 01, 2019
muykem:
igbo are generally trouble maker due to their ego. Either we agree or not average igbo man like to ask other what they can't accept. I'm staying with them so I know what I saying. Imo state person can not work in Abia civil service even as a messenger. If they are so hostile within themselves then what happened to other tribes. I know many places in igbo land if you are not from there no matter how much you bring they will never sell land to you. These are the people calling Lagos no man's land meanwhile they didn't inherited a plot of land there but bought it from owner.

"When we begin to think that most people are no better than we, the world seems full of people who are fairly unpleasant" (Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the human condition)

5 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by emerged01(m): 7:42pm On Mar 01, 2019
When there is love there won't tribalism. And where there is no love peace will never exist.
Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by muykem: 7:45pm On Mar 01, 2019
WORDWORLD:

"When we begin to think that most people are no better than we, the world seems full of people who are fairly unpleasant" (Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the human condition)
Forget all this your quotes, Igbo are filled with hatred. People of Ondo, Oyo, plateau e.t.c also voted for Atiku in just concluded election but be watching when all other would have forgotten the past and move forward with the new reality. Igbo will still be nursing hatred for the next four years.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 01, 2019
muykem:
Forget all this your quotes, Igbo are filled with hatred. People of Ondo, Oyo, plateau e.t.c also voted for Atiku in just concluded election but be watching when all other would have forgotten the past and move forward with the new reality. Igbo will still be nursing hatred for the next four years.

Well the quote is not saying anything different from what you have said before and still saying now. PEOPLE FILLED WITH HATE MAKES THE WORLD A HATEFUL PLACE.

If Atiku is so much LOVED it should have reflected even in ADAMAWA STATE which he almost lost to BUHARI.

7 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by pchukwudi: 8:05pm On Mar 01, 2019
The east is actually one of the most densely populated regions in this country. Igbo's are in fact one of the most hospitable ethnic groups in the country.

This is why the average igbo person can migrate freely to any part of the WORLD (not just Lagos), establish himself and still stay in touch with his/her homeland.

But hopeless bigots like you are unaware of the amazing Igbo traits and their stranger-friendly cultures largely because you hardly leave your enclave. To you, life begins and ends in your state.

[s]
WORDWORLD:
THE SIMPLE FACT IS THIS. THE KIND OF HOSPITALITY THE IGBOS ENJOY ALL OVER NIGERIA. SUCH HOSPITALITY IS NOT RECIPROCATED IN IGBO LANDS TO OTHER TRIBES LIVING IN IGBO LAND, THE MOST IRONY IS THIS, NOT EVEN TO FELLOW IGBOS IN THEIR OWN HOMES ARE HOSPITABLE TO EACH OTHER WHICH IS A MAJOR REASON THE IGBO MAN IS SCATTERD EVERY WHERE ABANDONING HIS OWN HOME BECAUSE IT IS NOT HOSPITABLE EVEN TO HIMSELF.

IS IT NOT AMAZING HOW THE HAUSA'S IN LAGOS TRAVEL BACK HOME DURING ELECTIONS TO VOTE FOR THEIR OWN WHILE THE IGBOS STAY PUT TO MAKE TROUBLE?!
[/s]

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 01, 2019
pchukwudi:
The east is actually one of the most densely populated regions in this country. Igbo's are in fact one of the most hospitable ethnic groups in the country.

This is why the average igbo person can migrate freely to any part of the WORLD (not just Lagos), establish himself and still stay in touch with his/her homeland.

But hopeless bigots like you are unaware of the amazing Igbo traits and their stranger-friendly cultures largely because you hardly leave your enclave. To you, life begins and ends in your state.

[s][/s]

grin I can only but laugh.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by NIGHTMARE0O7: 8:31pm On Mar 01, 2019
muykem:
[s]Igbo are generally trouble maker due to their ego. Either we agree or not average igbo man like to ask other what they can't accept. I'm staying with them so I know what I saying. Imo state person can not work in Abia civil service even as a messenger. If they are so hostile within themselves then what happened to other tribes. I know many places in igbo land if you are not from there no matter how much you bring they will never sell land to you. These are the people calling Lagos no man's land meanwhile they didn't inherited a plot of land there but bought it from owner.[/s]

U are a pathetic liar.
Go to east your yoruba brothers and sisters are there enjoying life. No one is disturbing them.
Some have even settled there permanently.
It's only u YORUBAS who say u are "host" to people u share the same country with.

Sheer ignorance!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Viergeachar: 8:43pm On Mar 01, 2019
NIGHTMARE0O7:

U are a pathetic liar.
Go to east your yoruba brothers and sisters are there enjoying life. No one is disturbing them.
Some have even settled there permanently.
It's only u YORUBAS who say u are "host" to people u share the same country with.

Sheer ignorance!

Keep out of our politics. That's all we ask!

Stop allowing the PDP to use you.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by NIGHTMARE0O7: 8:45pm On Mar 01, 2019
Viergeachar:

So PDP ain't using you YORUBAS too.
How come they won in Ondo and oyo? undecided
The problem with most of u have short memory
How could u forget something that just happened bared 6days ago undecided

6 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Viergeachar: 8:49pm On Mar 01, 2019
NIGHTMARE0O7:

So PDP ain't using you YORUBAS too.
How come they won in Ondo and oyo? undecided
The problem with most of u have short memory
How could u forget something that just happened bared 6days ago undecided

Lagos PDP is using Igbos wrongly.

Igbos shouldn't run on PDP. APGA is more like it.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by NIGHTMARE0O7: 8:51pm On Mar 01, 2019
Viergeachar:

Lagos PDP is using Igbos wrongly.
Igbos shouldn't run on PDP. APGA is more like it.

Nothing like Lagos PDP don't try to be smart by half PDP is PDP.

why did same PDP win in ondo and oyo?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Viergeachar: 8:54pm On Mar 01, 2019
NIGHTMARE0O7:

Nothing like Lagos PDP don't try to be smart by half PDP is PDP.

why did same PDP win in osun and oyo?

Lagos PDP cannot win in some areas without the support of non Yorubas.
It's not so elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by NIGHTMARE0O7: 8:57pm On Mar 01, 2019
Viergeachar:

Lagos PDP cannot win in some areas without the support of non Yorubas.
It's not so elsewhere.

Trust me without rigging and the dirty games Tinubu played, PDP would have also swept lagos even with big margin.

APC knew they stand no chance that's why they couldn't allow free and fair election in Lagos.
And resorted to all forms of chaos just to destabilize PDP

4 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 01, 2019
An Lefulefu wrote this.
Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Viergeachar: 8:59pm On Mar 01, 2019
NIGHTMARE0O7:

Trust me without rigging and the dirty games Tinubu played, PDP would have also swept lagos even with big margin.

APC knew they stand no chance that's why they couldn't allow free and fair election in Lagos.
And resorted to all forms of chaos just to destabilize PDP

Believe me, the crisis you saw was because Igbos were contesting. No more, no less.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 01, 2019
Viergeachar:

Keep out of politics.
You are clearly not properly educated.

Cc lzaa Sarrki pointzerom pythonamaka velocity25

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Viergeachar: 9:08pm On Mar 01, 2019
immhotep:

Keep out of politics.
You are clearly not properly educated.

Cc lzaa Sarrki pointzerom pythonamaka velocity25

Your brothers offline are learning fast... grin

Continue beating empty chests online.

5 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 01, 2019
"Think, for example, about an Igbo becoming the chairman of Lagos Island Local Government and arrogating to himself the right under the laws of Nigeria and of Lagos State to issue instructions to the Oba of Lagos about how the Kabiyesi should conduct himself and govern his people. What will this breed?

That is what has been happening in countries from where the Igbos are being sent back home. It happened once in the North as Ahmadu Bello said in 1952. And seriously speaking, I believe this is why the North rejected Atiku Abubakar. The Igbos should reflect on this… Why does everyone tend to (hate) us?” https://www.nairaland.com/5055045/how-deal-problem-like-igbos

1 Like

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by EasternActivist: 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2019
Even Ambode will vote for PDP next Saturday... grin
Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2019
"Meanwhile, their land back home is languid, crying and shouting for investment and development and they begin to talk about marginalisation. Did they not flower and (become) fruit(ful) under Obasanjo and Jonathan’s administrations? What happened to Igboland in those 16 years that they were not marginalised? What happened to Yorubaland in those 16 years that the Yorubas were marginalised that Yorubaland still continued to be a honey pot for the Igbo? I would go any day with Chief Emeka Anyaoku who looks at the world with universal spectacles. Succeeding Lagos governments have beautifully held the ethnic balance in Lagos and prevented ethnic disturbances. Igbos should stop saying they own Lagos or that they built Lagos or that Lagos is a “no man’s land”. Only a bastard Yorubaman will not feel affronted by such statements. And in spiritual terms, the man or woman who cannot defend his land is not fit to live. Wasn’t this the failure of the sons of the Incas"

https://www.nairaland.com/5055045/how-deal-problem-like-igbos

3 Likes

Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by Balkan(m): 9:26pm On Mar 01, 2019
WORDWORLD:
THE SIMPLE FACT IS THIS. THE KIND OF HOSPITALITY THE IGBOS ENJOY ALL OVER NIGERIA. SUCH HOSPITALITY IS NOT RECIPROCATED IN IGBO LANDS TO OTHER TRIBES LIVING IN IGBO LAND, THE MOST IRONY IS THIS, NOT EVEN TO FELLOW IGBOS IN THEIR OWN HOMES ARE HOSPITABLE TO EACH OTHER WHICH IS A MAJOR REASON THE IGBO MAN IS SCATTERD EVERY WHERE ABANDONING HIS OWN HOME BECAUSE IT IS NOT HOSPITABLE EVEN TO HIMSELF. Ok

IS IT NOT AMAZING HOW THE HAUSAS IN LAGOS TRAVEL BACK HOME DURING ELECTIONS TO VOTE FOR THEIR OWN WHILE THE IGBOS STAY PUT TO MAKE TROUBLE?!

AND ALTOGETHER, WHAT A GREATER IRONY HOW A IGBOS HAVE RECIEVED SO MUCH HOSPITALITY IN LAGOS THAT THE ARE EVEN CHAIRMEN OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS. BUT THIS CAN ALMOST NEVER BE THE CASE IN IGBO LAND.

forget these your old rhetorics. Igbos are more United than Yorubas. You are pained how they are polically determining the political land scape of Lagos. We speak with one voice. The whole SS/SE voted PDP but in SW they are all divided btw APC and PDP.

What is pursuing your brothers scattered all over Nigeria selling Agbo and doing kabukabu everywhere?

This Saturday's election, you will see the number of seat Igbos will will in in your state assembly. This is something you have to deal with.

Lagos belongs to all. No Igbo man will travel again to register in SS or SE.
Re: Igbos In Lagos -read Attentively! by boldaslion: 9:28pm On Mar 01, 2019
WORDWORLD:

AND ALTOGETHER, WHAT A GREATER IRONY HOW A IGBOS HAVE RECIEVED SO MUCH HOSPITALITY IN LAGOS THAT THE ARE EVEN CHAIRMEN OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS. BUT THIS CAN ALMOST NEVER BE THE CASE IN IGBO LAND.

When I see the write up of someone who has never crossed Ondo state boundary to Benin commenting on what happens in Igbo land, I always don't find it difficult to know. This is a typical example.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Today Just Confirmed IPOD Are Really Noise Makers. / 2023: The Marginalization / Throwback Picture Of Prof. Wole Soyinka Arrested In 1967 By The Police.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.