Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,569 members, 7,801,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah (55196 Views)

You Can Now Read The Full Version Of Jewel From The Ghetto 2: The Return Of Shak / I Fit Be Second Jesus(sex Na Food 2)the Return Of Spana By Youngzubi / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by ewawumi(f): 12:07am On Apr 03, 2019
This ,preview is super!
This masterpiece is more than I envisaged, full of twists and turns and more importantly, its perfect. The organisation, lines, character development, dialogues and descriptions were all top notch. Kudos Kudus Oko Osi

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by Ann2012(f): 1:16am On Apr 03, 2019
Just read the preview, Boss you're too much

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 3:15pm On Apr 03, 2019
ewawumi:
This ,preview is super!
This masterpiece is more than I envisaged, full of twists and turns and more importantly, its perfect. The organisation, lines, character development, dialogues and descriptions were all top notch. Kudos Kudus Oko Osi

Wooooooow!!! I'm blushing right now. This praise is too much ooo. Thank you so much, ewawumi.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 3:17pm On Apr 03, 2019
Ann2012:
Just read the preview, Boss you're too much

Thank you a lot, Ann2012. You are wonderful too.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by skubido(m): 4:52pm On Apr 03, 2019
Boss u too much the preview is superb. ... More ink to your pen.. Opolo yin koni womii ni Agbara Olorun.. Aye oni ridi yin oooo

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by rayvelez(m): 6:58pm On Apr 04, 2019
JamesKudooski:
bluntboy, rayvelez, jerrybakermillz, nextlevel10, phoenixchap, pascalbenz, bejeria101, Sarang, TRACYPETER755, Bolaji299, joromi36, emeraldlife, Queenflourish, YINKS89, Faspen, alphacyborg, abubakarbabang7, OlufemiWhit, GoldenVivi, TheAngry1, Kelvin30286063, sooperrescue, genius43, skubido, Folashadee, oloyedprince1, YoungBruzzy, tonexyx, Marvelous352, rukidanty, Joislim, ADUKKY, Arom21, Peppergroove, becca2017, cortix, kingin55, aprilwise, Eronsammy, HORLADSTAR, IAmXcessiz, Alliswelleumas, jeweltab, PreshyG, Ruibii, OlufemiWhit, devilmaycry1, Ann2012, chinonyinye, Felixdgreat, Phyllis195, Philgo, Jasmine4, AvatarMode, portablefola, Godwindanielboy, rosalieene, Mufahsa, ProfClassic, Kormforth, Gucciqueen38, DemiKOL, kingphilip, kensteven16, josepphh, Hollavick, babajeje123, ayox1, cyndy1000, herosakin777, stizzy, Joislim, Missmossy, officialbazor, Ayomideen, kingin55, IAmAmbrose, Xeynab, queenitee, Xedy, mattobi, tjquib, imranMotunrayo, moseph, asagbaesiri, mcjesuspikin, odunmba, Mourin, Rophie, Forkim, nekkygracie, Joylove0267, devilmaycry1, harjibolar10, Uniquechild, Printriteng, jesvic91, odurombi, izaray, Kendrick80, pweetymhi, Hantonia, franklin000, debbycreamy, Mustybad, toyhin123, Pacifus058, Mtbail, excelmerry, Favouritetega, Solomonakindoyin, ifiokjohn, Kelvin4luck, Juniorangel, chigozie69, bigkuba, NaijaTushboy(m), yungnot(m), frankiemorasky7, zephaniah11, Otarkpa, LightQueen(f), Slimynonny, Stevenbright(m), juninhouj,

Im back after some months

3 Likes

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by YoungBruzzy(m): 7:08pm On Apr 04, 2019
Nice and wonderful masterpiece, keep it up man. The sky is ur limit.

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by Ayomideen(m): 8:16am On Apr 05, 2019
Oboy I don miss sha,latecoming no good o
Oga jameskudooski thanks a lot for the invite

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by ewawumi(f): 6:04pm On Apr 05, 2019
JamesKudooski:

Wooooooow!!! I'm blushing right now. This praise is too much ooo. Thank you so much, ewawumi.
you are welcome o! Who won the Free copies?

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by princesslade10(f): 5:58pm On Apr 06, 2019
ewawumi:
ewawumi:

Pls I need the free copy too

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by TheAngry1: 10:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
rayvelez:

oyoyo
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:11pm On Apr 06, 2019
skubido:
Boss u too much the preview is superb. ... More ink to your pen.. Opolo yin koni womii ni Agbara Olorun.. Aye oni ridi yin oooo

Skubido, wagbayi baba.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:14pm On Apr 06, 2019
rayvelez:

rayvelez, welcome back, bro. Good to have you back.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:15pm On Apr 06, 2019
YoungBruzzy:
Nice and wonderful masterpiece, keep it up man. The sky is ur limit.

Thanks baba, appreciate the compliments too.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:16pm On Apr 06, 2019
Ayomideen:
Oboy I don miss sha,latecoming no good o
Oga jameskudooski thanks a lot for the invite

Welcome, Ayomideen. Better late than never. thank you for the compliments too.

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:17pm On Apr 06, 2019
ewawumi:

Ewawumi, it will be announced shortly. smiley
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:21pm On Apr 06, 2019
princesslade10:

Pls I need the free copy too

Please check post below:

JamesKudooski:
Hello Guys,

Trust you are doing fine. And I hope you are enjoying the story?

So far, we have seen the momentum building up gradually against Yemi and Simisola. Let me just give you a little spoiler: "Winter is coming" for the Yemi and Simisola (like they say in Game of Thrones)! Hope they survive it!

Well, lemme douse your tension a bit.

How?

I just loaded a FREE preview copy of the book on Okadabooks.

Download a free copy from the link below and you will over eleven chapters ahead of others!

https://okadabooks.com/book/about/jewel_from_the_ghetto_2_the_return_of_shakirah/26461

Please, remember to drop your review of book as I have decided to give out FREE copies of the full book to five people.

Who knows your comment may get you one!

Download a FREE COPY:

https://okadabooks.com/book/about/jewel_from_the_ghetto_2_the_return_of_shakirah/26461

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 11:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
EPISODE 6
(CHAPTER FOUR)

Three Months Later, Dazzles Beauty Shop, Banana Island, Lagos, 9:50 a.m.

YINKA MADE HIS WAY into the state-of-the-art beauty shop. He paused at the entrance. His eyes shone brightly and his lips extended into a lovely smile. He shook his head slowly. He was full of awe for the place. He had been here several times but each time his reaction was usually the same. It seemed there was always something new to admire each time. Simisola had undoubtedly chosen a perfect name for the salon for it usually dazzled its visitors in a literal way.

Ngozi spotted him through the tinted glass door and her cheeks turned pink within an instant. She hugged herself but would have preferred to hug Yinka instead. Then, Simisola came out of her office and Ngozi called her attention to Yinka. Simisola Smiled, shook her head gently and went back into her office. Ngozi followed her.

No doubt, the place still dazzled as it did when it was first opened five years ago. Yinka vividly remembered the opening ceremony that was graced by the elites of the country. It was as colourful as the smile on everyone’s face. Mrs Williams carried herself as the proud mother-in-law of a successful young lady. Clothed in the same expensive lace fabric as her best friend, Mrs Ronke Abimbola, she was full of life, mingling with guests and her husband’s billionaire business partners and friends. It was difficult to believe that she was the same woman who didn’t want to see Simisola barely a year and a half prior to the occasion.

Yinka stilled remembered how the governor’s wife was swept completely off her feet by the facility. It was tasty. It was classy. It was well-equipped and could compete with any standard salon anywhere in the world. One thing he would never forget was how the tiny sweats on his bottle of Gulder shimmered in the colourful lights. He could still feel its chillness in his hand as though it was yesterday. He licked his lips. He remembered too how his best friend, Yemi, could not contain his grin as he walked hand-in-hand with his African Beauty, Simisola, greeting and welcoming guests. Simisola was a sight to behold. She looked angelic in her flowing royal blue gown with diamond accessories. That had not changed, though. The only thing that changed was that they were now two angels—Simisola and baby Kayla. Since that day, Dazzles had played host to teeming customers—a majority of whom were actresses, On-Air Personalities, politicians’ wives and slay mamas.

After about two minutes, Yinka opened the door and walked in. Even inside, everywhere he turned to, he saw a touch of class and professionalism. The colours were carefully chosen to reflect class and royalty: crimson, royal blue, and purple. The day Auntie Funmi, Taiwo, and Kenny of Pink Roses visited, they were so carried away that the only time they remembered they were still in Nigeria was when they stepped out of the salon.

Yinka peeped into Ngozi’s office and noticed that it was empty. He went straight into Simisola’s office next to it and found Ngozi with her.

“Hey, how are these beauties doing this morning?” A broad smile lit up his face as he greeted the ladies in a peculiar jovial manner.

“Mr Yinka,” both ladies answered with an equal measure of camaraderie. “Good morning. We are doing fine.”

“Isn’t that obvious? Look at the way you, angels, are shining like the sparkling, golden bubbles of Guuuulder! How foolish of me to have asked that question in the first place.” He pretended to slap himself.

“Mr Yinka! Must you compare everything to Gulder?” Simisola said.

“It’s because Guuulder is the essence of life, my dear.” A distinctive glow sparkled in his eyes. Simisola and Ngozi noticed it. It only happened whenever he talked about Gulder.

“Okay ooo. By the way, Omo Ibo saw you admiring our shop again.” Similola smiled.

“Yeah.” He sighed. “Old habits! Don’t mind me. It’s just that I find it hard to stop myself from admiring this shop of yours each time I come around. It’s fast becoming an addiction for me.”

“Then be careful, Mr Yinka, otherwise you will end up marrying a hairdresser like your friend,” she wisecracked and smiled. “That was how his addiction with Pink Rose started, you know.” She winked. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“Oh, I’ll try to remember that.” He looked around the office admiringly again. “How I wish it is Guuuuuuulder you ladies sell here.” He licked his lips. “I would have made this place my home.”

“Really?” Simisola replied, laughing. She looked at Ngozi. She expected to see her laughing too but instead caught her gawking at Yinka, blushing like a high school nerd.

“Yes. Imagine having chilled bottles of Guuuuulder in this ...” He sniffed as the electronic air freshener hanging on the wall released a whiff of sweet-smelling scent into the air. “What fragrance is that?”

“Lavender and chamomile.”

“You see what I was saying? Wow!” He tapped the table. “A chilled bottle of Guuuuuulder in the warm embrace of lavender and chamomile and
you are in paradise already, whoopee!” Simisola spotted that characteristic sparkle again.

“Ah, Mr Yinka! You and this Gulder of yours! Hope they make you an ambassador of Gulder someday,” Simisola responded.

“That’s the ultimate, Simi baby. Gulder is the ultimate! Has Yemi ever told you the meaning of Gulder?”

“Guide Us Lord ... hmmm … erm ...” She bit the end of her pen. “Something, something, something. I can’t really remember.”

“...During Every Round of Gulder,” Ngozi completed it for her, “Olodo!” and made fun of her.

“Omo Ibo!” Simisola was surprised. “How did you know the meaning of Gulder?” she dragged the words.

“Mr Yinka told me,” Ngozi’s voice sounded like a princess in the presence of a prince charming. She fluttered her eyelids in quick succession.

“Oooooooh!” Simisola rolled her eyes. “I see.” She looked at Ngozi and then Yinka. It was a knowing look. “Hmmm ... Mr Yinka, tell me, am I missing something here?” The question was meant for Yinka but her look was trained on Ngozi. She smiled teasingly.

Yinka feigned ignorance. “I don’t understand what you mean, beauty.”

“I mean the rate at which you visit us these days, I’m beginning to wonder if your eyes had caught a flower in here.” She winked at Ngozi.

Yinka laughed dismissively. “Oh, that?” He laughed again, “I only came here to see if my friend was here.”

“Your friend? You mean Yemi, my husband?”

“Of course, yes. Who else could it be?”

“Mm-hmm?” She raised her eyebrows and smiled again.

“What?”

“Mr Yinka, you know you can’t find your friend here at 10 a.m. on a workday. You know where to find him by this time if you indeed wanted to see him,” she teased.

“Oh!” Yinka smiled. “Who knows he might have come here to dazzle up before going to the office.”

“Dazzle up?” Both ladies called out together, exchanging quizzical looks.

“Yes dazzle up. Dazzle up as in this place.” He made the gesture of someone applying makeup on her face. “As in he came here for a quick makeover before going for his appointment this morning.”

Both Simisola and Ngozi burst out laughing. “Mr Yinka, you never seize to crack up our ribs,” Simisola managed to say amidst the laughter. “Ẹ wóò, iyẹ́n óò jẹ́ wa. É wó lo tu kù?” she added in Yoruba meaning, “Look, we didn’t fall for that. Try something else.”
Yinka could only laugh.

“But that was possible, you know,” Ngozi came to his rescue.

“Ah-ah, Omo Ibo! Are you saying this too?”

“Okay,” Yinka found his voice, “Let’s just say I came to say hi to my best friend’s wife. Is anything wrong with that?”

“Your friend’s wife or Omo Ibo—”

“Is it a bad thing to come say hello to one’s friend’s wife, Simisola?” Ngozi interrupted.

Simisola turned to look at Ngozi and it was as if her cheeks had permanently turned pink. Simisola smiled. “Okay ooo. If you say so.” She turned her attention to Yinka, “You are welcome then. Shall we get you a bottle of Guuuuulder?” she mimicked the way Yinka fondly called his Gulder.

At that time, Yinka’s phone beeped. It was a text message from Yemi.

“Oh, Good Lord!” Yinka exclaimed and jumped to his feet.

“What?” Ngozi and Simisola asked in one voice.

“I completely forgot. Yemi and I were supposed to meet someone together this morning and here I am!” He picked up his other phone and car keys from Simisola’s desk. “Beauties, you see what your shop is doing to me?”

Both ladies laughed again.

“I told you to be careful, Mr Yinka. I warned you about this your newly-found addiction. Didn’t I?” Simisola teased.

“Well, ladies, I’ve got to go.” He made for the door. “Simisola, you owe me one.”

“Owe you one? And what would that be?”

“My bottle of Gulder, of course. You think I would forget that?” He was staring at the mesmerized Ngozi.

“Okay, I owe you one, sir,” she answered like a soldier saluting a senior officer.

“I will walk Mr Yinka to his car,” Ngozi offered, rather too eagerly to fuel Simisola’s suspicion.

Before Simisola could say anything, Ngozi was already swaggering behind Yinka.

“Okay, have a lovely day, sir.” Simisola waved him bye-bye. “And please tell my sweetheart I sent my kisses.”

“Hmmm ...” Yinka rolled his eyes. “There we go again, Juliet.”

She watched both of them shut the door behind them and muttered to herself, “Wow! Mr Yinka ... Ngozi? That’s wonderful.” Her lips curved up into a loving smile. “I didn’t see that coming.” She nodded gently as she relaxed her back in her swivel chair, fingers crossed resting on her stomach, and her eyes fixed on the little angel—Kayla—sleeping peacefully in her cot at a corner of the office. She heard a knock on the door.

“Yes, come in.”

A smartly dressed young lady came in. The purple crest of Dazzles’ logo graced her breast pocket. She was the receptionist.

“Madam, Mrs Ajibade is here for her appointment, ma.”

“The commissioner’s wife?”

“Yes, ma.”

“Oh, okay. I’m on my way.” She stood up from her seat. “You should have used the intercom instead of walking all the way, Mariam.”

“I ... I ... I ...”

“Okay, never mind. Get Ngozi and inform her immediately. She should be in the parking lot.” And as if she read Mariam’s mind, added, “I mean the Deputy and not the stylist.”

“Right away, ma.”

To be continued ... Watch Out for the Next Episode!

NB: The book is NOW AVAILABLE on online stores. For those who don't want to wait for each episode to be released, get the book here:

1. OKADABOOKS: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/jewel_from_the_ghetto_2_the_return_of_shakirah/26442

2. SMASHWORDS: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/930731

Àdùkẹ́!
...My Story, My World.

Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/adukestories/

3 Likes

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by Lilly4endu(f): 2:08pm On Apr 07, 2019
OP my hands dey up, congrats.

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 12:57am On Apr 09, 2019
Lilly4endu:
OP my hands dey up, congrats.

Thanks so much, Lilly4endu.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 2:05am On Apr 09, 2019
EPISODE 7
(CHAPTER FOUR)

Somewhere in Agege, Gbemisola’s Residence.

Scorpion rested his head on Gbemisola’s laps, looking into her eyes. The eyes shone excitedly as she listened to his stories and stroked his shining bald head gently. She looked into his half-shut eyes and felt safe. She was fortunate to have the Alpha of the Hoods as her man.

She slid her finger along the machete scar that crested the left side of his face. “Tell me, My Alpha, how did you get this scar?” The words dropped softly and soothed him like an ointment. She was the quiet type and a slow talker too.

“That?” Scorpion stroked her hand as she traced the scar. The hand was soft like the words coming out of her mouth. That was what he loved about her—her gentility. She was by far the most fragile and quiet lady he had ever met. She could hardly hurt a fly. Not even Simisola was as reserved as her. “I got it during one of the fights to take over the tarmac years ago. It was a very bloody fight. A countless number of people lost their heads!”

“Ah!” She covered her mouth.

“I thought I told you.”

Gbemisola shook her head.

“I didnt?”

“No, you didnt. You see why I’ve been telling you to stop this street life?” She frowned and pouted. “I don’t want to lose my heartthrob ooo!”

“But you know I have started cleaning up my life.” There was sincerity in his voice. “And the fights I get into these days are to protect the helpless.”

“I know, my love.” She rubbed his chest—a chest now contoured by several deep bottle scars. “But even at that, I am scared. I think you should let the police do their job. For example, look at this scar ...” She ran her fingers over the big bottle scar on his throat. “You could have died! I thought I had lost you for months. If not for God that sent that Good Samaritan.” Scorpion felt the strain of horror in her voice.

He ran his hand over the scar and a sharp pain pierced his heart. He shut his eyes tight; as tight as if he wanted to squeeze the juice out of them. It was obvious he was trying to shut the memory of the horrid event out of his head. The pain still felt as fresh as when Tiger had mercilessly rammed the broken bottle into him several times. He had blacked out. He had died. Almost. If not for the Good Samaritan God had sent his way as he lied coldly in his own pool of blood. He breathed slowly in an out now. Then he calmed himself. He had always drawn solace from the fact that he had taken his revenge. He had tracked Tiger down and had shown him the definition of messing with Scorpion. Additionally, he had sent Tiger to prison for five solid years.

“Ifẹ mi (My love), I promise you, I will make the necessary changes. Be patient with me and give me time. You know it’s a gradual process. Orita Junction, they say, was not built in a day,” he told her reassuringly.

“It is not Orita Junction they say. It is Rome.”

“Ehn-ehn? Whatever.” He drew her hand close and kissed it tenderly. Gbemisola blushed. “What’s the time now?” Scorpion suddenly realised that he had spent more time than planned.

Gbemisola picked up her phone and checked the time. “It’s 11.03 p.m.”

“Eleven?!” Scorpion sat up immediately. “Wow! I didn’t know I had stayed so late. I have to go now.”

Gbemisola, with arms folded across her chest, pouted and grumbled, “So, you won’t even stay till 11.30? You know I—”

“Wait!” Scorpion strained his ear towards the window. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what, my love?” Gbemisola strained her ears but heard nothing. “I can’t hear anything.”

“Shhhhhhhh!” Scorpion reached for the switch and flicked the lights off.

Gbemisola started trembling. What?

“I hear voices. I hear footsteps. There is danger!” he whispered.

Gbemisola’s knees knocked harder against each other.

Scorpion walked stealthily towards the window, making sure that he shielded his face with the curtains. “I can count four men. Heavily armed. One is manning the gate downstairs. The other three are heading for the stairs.”

“What?!!!” Gbemisola screamed in whispers.

“They are coming for us!”

NB: The book is NOW AVAILABLE on online stores. For those who don't want to wait for each episode to be released, get the book here:

1. OKADABOOKS: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/jewel_from_the_ghetto_2_the_return_of_shakirah/26442

Àdùkẹ́!
...My Story, My World.

2 Likes

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by pweetygiftofGod(f): 6:53am On Apr 09, 2019
Wow
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by Ann2012(f): 7:37am On Apr 09, 2019
Well done OP
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by ifiokjohn(m): 8:10am On Apr 09, 2019
rayvelez:
Welcome back bro
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by skubido(m): 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2019
Gbayi boss

Tanks

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by toyhin123(f): 2:21pm On Apr 09, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by izaray(f): 3:55pm On Apr 09, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 4:18pm On Apr 10, 2019
skubido:
Gbayi boss

Tanks

Skubido, I see you jare. Your head is there.

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 12:20am On Apr 11, 2019
toyhin123:
Thanks for the update

Toyhin123, I see you too. U are welcome.
Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 12:22am On Apr 11, 2019
izaray:
Thanks for the update

Izaray, I sight you too. U are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 12:48am On Apr 11, 2019
ewawumi:

Hi everyone,

The following are the winners of the FREE copies of the COMPLETE book here on Nairaland:

1. ewawumi
2. Ann2012, and
3. Skubido.

Congratulations, guys. Please drop your email addresses for the downloading instructions.

Congratulations once more.

1 Like

Re: Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah by JamesKudooski(m): 1:05am On Apr 11, 2019
EPISODE 8
(CHAPTER FIVE)

SCORPION LOOKED AT GBEMISOLA, confusion plainly written on his face. It was dark. He couldn’t see her face. He could only make out the outline of her shape. Yet he knew horror was plain on her face. He wondered who could have been after him. He had not made any real enemy in the past three years or so. Thanks to Gbemisola who had worked so hard to reform him and he had been yielding because of how much he loved her. If that was going to make her happy, then he was willing to surrender street life for her sake.

He drew Gbemisola close to his side and listened carefully. He could tell the number of steps they had left before getting to them. He knew they were close. Then he heard them. It was only whispers but his ears picked every word clearly.

“Guys, listen up. She stays in the second and third rooms on the left—it’s a room and a parlour. Once we enter, we take her out quickly without raising any alarm. I want a clean job.” He sounded like the leader of the group.

A second voice added, “Boys, we gat to be very careful too. Gbemisola is a striker. As deadly as death itself. So, don’t take any chances with that bitch.”

Scorpion heard it all. Gbemisola a striker? As deadly as death itself? How on earth could that be possible? He felt Gbemisola pressed harder on him. He could feel the vibration and perspiration of her body. There was no part of her body that wasn’t trembling now. Scorpion could swear that she must have peed on herself. There must be a mixed up somewhere! These killers could not have meant his Gbemisola, the gentlest of all women. But now was not the time for such thoughts. Now was time for action; for escape.

He told Gbemisola to hide in the inner room while he picked up the ceramic plate from which they ate rice and stew that was lying on the centre table. He hid behind the door and listened carefully to the approaching footsteps. He could feel two persons at the door and wondered where the third one was. He pressed his back hard on the wall to stay as flat as possible. The wall was damp. He felt it on his skin. The light switch was close by. He heard the clicking sound of someone picking the lock.

Seconds later, the door opened gently. He held his breath. Then the first man walked in, the spout of his AK-47 first, then his legs one at a time. He held a touch in his mouth. His movement was stealth. Scorpion watched him pause momentarily and gave signs with his fingers. Scorpion read the sign perfectly. The guy was telling the other man that the target was in the bedroom. Scorpion waited for the perfect time to strike and he got one soon enough.

He flicked the switch on suddenly. The light flashed directly into the man’s eyes, momentarily blinding him. Then with the speed of light, Scorpion smashed the plate on the back of the man’s head; directly where his medulla oblongata resided. Everything happened too fast for him to know what hit him. He jerked forward, shrieking and wobbling at the same time. His eyes rolled. He saw stars. He crashed into the centre table and both went down with a shattering sound. The AK-47 fell on its butt. It danced furiously on the floor, spraying bullets sporadically in every direction. At the same time, with superlative reflexes, Scorpion sent a powerful kick to the door. The second man was just making his way into the room, head first. The door swung fast and slammed hard into his face and sent him back into the passageway with a whooshing sound. He yelped in pain as he held his broken nose. Scorpion knew what was going to happen next. The man would charge into the room screaming like a mad man and firing deadly shots from his pistol. Scorpion was ready!

Truly, the angry man rushed in firing into the room. Scorpion swung sideways, went down and whirled a sweeping kick to the man’s ankles. It swept him off the ground only for him to be greeted by another kick to his chest that sent him flying across the room. He crashed on the adjacent wall and whimpered in pain as he crumbled on his buttocks. The wall clock hanging on the wall above him came down with a hard knock on his head. The pistol flew in the air releasing shots that riddled holes into the ceiling.

The first man struggled to his feet. He still staggered a little. His gun had stopped dancing and was lying a few feet from him. Scorpion saw his hand moved to his hip and before the hand could reach it, Scorpion spotted the steel of his pistol glittered in the holster. He turned his head left, eyes searching frantically for anything that could save him. Then he saw it—the pot of stew Gbemisola kept at a corner close by. He grabbed it and flung it at the man. The stew splashed, steaming as it did. It found a permanent resting place on the man’s chest and face. It burned into his clothes and then into his skin. He screamed. No, he cried. He danced in pain, hopping from one leg to the other like a jester. His fingers crooked and vibrated a few inches away from his face. They could go no further. They were afraid to touch the burning face. Scorpion looked at the pot as it clanged on the ground. He thanked God that Gbemisola has not listened when he insisted she took the pot inside after serving the food. She had said she would do it later.

Scorpion swept the guns to a safe place with his leg and removed his belt as was his custom. He rained heavy lashes on the second man whose vision was still blurred from the impact of the kick. Each lash was rewarded with a painful scream. He concentrated on him alone. There was no need for worrying about the first man. He was already receiving his own lashes from the hot stew that looked like molten magma on his face.

All of a sudden, he stopped. He remembered they were three who had come upstairs. ‘Where is the third man?’ he wondered and that was when he heard the sound of people struggling with each other from the inner room. ‘Gbemisola!’ A bell rang in his head. The third man had broken into the other room the same time the other two broke into the parlour!

Scorpion dashed towards the room. At that moment, he heard two gunshots and two voices—the grunt of a woman and the scream of a man. His eyes grew wide.

“Gbemisola, noooooooo!” He rushed into the room. Then became still, as stiff as a statute.

Gbemisola was sitting on the edge of her bed. Her hair ruffled and blood trickled down from a cut at the corner of her mouth. A pistol spun around her forefinger slowly but deadly. Her brows were furrowed and her lips tightly pressed together. It was as if the pupils of her eyes had disappeared. It was the devil’s stare. Scorpion almost jumped out of his skin. He turned in the direction of the third man who was sprawling on the floor in pain. The poor man ground his teeth to absorb the pain but that didn’t stop the blood that flowed, unrestrained, from two deep holes in his right leg. It happened that Gbemisola had disarmed him and fired two shots into his right leg just before Scorpion rushed in. Scorpion turned his attention back to Gbemisola, still finding it difficult to close his mouth. Still finding it hard to find his voice.

The next second, she threw the gun at Scorpion. He watched wide-eyed as the gun somersaulted in the air towards his face with deadly speed. When it got close to his face, it was as if something or perhaps someone held the hands of time. Every other thing stood still while the gun whooshed past his ear in what looked like slow motion and then suddenly picked up the pace again. Everything that happened thereafter happened very fast as if in a fast-forward mode. The gun found its target with deadly precision. The next thing he heard was, first, a thumping sound—the sound of something hard hitting a hard surface, a skull—and then the squall of a falling man!

Scorpion turned and found the fourth man—the one manning the gate downstairs—lying flat on his back on the floor and the machete that had been in his hand a few inches away. He had rushed in to help when he heard the series of gunshots and the sounds of people struggling. Scorpion was too shocked by Gbemisola to have noticed when he got behind him. Only for Gbemisola’s gun to find his skull before his machete found Scorpion’s head.

Scorpion shifted back his gaze to Gbemisola. His shock increased exponentially. He wasn’t longer sure whether what he felt was shock or fear.

Gbemisola’s voice shook him out of his perplexity, “Love, call your friend, the policeman,” she sounded so calm as if nothing happened.

Scorpion brought out his phone and dialled Inspector Stephen’s number. About twenty minutes later, the police arrived with an ambulance and stretchered the men away. All the four of them were alive but in deadening pains. Inspector Stephen walked up and down the rooms assessing the length and breadth of them, scribbling something into a jotter. He asked questions every now and then.

Scorpion’s eyes were fixed on Gbemisola who was now huddled on the chair, covered in a wrapper. Her eyes were hollow and she trembled like a girl who had seen a beheading—like the Gbemisola who could not hurt a fly. Scorpion didn’t know what to make of her.

‘Who really is this girl?!’ he wondered. ‘And why would anyone want her dead?’

It turned out he had not known her at all!

Àdùkẹ́!
...My Story, My World.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Oretunlewa Soyinka And Nneka Ekechukwu's Wedding In Atlanta (Photos) / You First Loved Me (Christian Romance) By Rose Akpabio / Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.