Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,318 members, 7,780,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:05 PM

I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? (599 Views)

I Always See This Inside My Room Even Though It's Tiled, How Do I Stop It? / My Husband Uses Charm On Me, I Always Faint During Sex – Wife / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? by Chenzee(m): 9:49pm On Mar 05, 2019
During my primary school days; my parents, especially my dad always boasted he was the best student in their own time. The only position he ever came in class was first position. Though I later found out that 2 of my friends' dads who happened to be my dad's classmates in school, always came first in class too. It's as if everyone in that class always came first in exams. Some one must be lying...

Any time, anyone of us ( myself and my siblings) comes home after a particular term's examination, with any position apart from first in class, will always receive discouraging remarks from my dad like:" I don't know where you got that brain of yours". "Your mates are taking first position, now see what you've brought". " I am just wasting my money", I always came first in class, etc.

Do you think such negative comments and remarks motivates a child to do well or not?
Re: I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? by philtea: 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2019
That does not motivate me in any way as a child
The child that will learn will learn
Re: I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? by Demex40(m): 10:38pm On Mar 05, 2019
That strategy was never a sign of motivation, rather it put unnecessary pressure on your child

Once the child didn't do well meeting to your standards, he might easily fall into depression together with low esteem among his peers
Re: I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? by frozen70(f): 3:03am On Mar 06, 2019
Chenzee:
During my primary school days; my parents, especially my dad always boasted he was the best student in their own time. The only position he ever came in class was first position. Though I later found out that 2 of my friends' dads who happened to be my dad's classmates in school, always came first in class too. It's as if everyone in that class always came first in exams. Some one must be lying...

Any time, anyone of us ( myself and my siblings) comes home after a particular term's examination, with any position apart from first in class, will always receive discouraging remarks from my dad like:" I don't know where you got that brain of yours". "Your mates are taking first position, now see what you've brought". " I am just wasting my money", I always came first in class, etc.

Do you think such negative comments and remarks motivates a child to do well or not?

To me it's not a negative comment, it's a way if gingering a child to read hard and get first positions because it runs in the family as the father claims

Assuming the child always comes first position in class, he wouldn't be telling him that

He only wants him to read hard
Re: I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? by Moneywirer: 3:14am On Mar 06, 2019
Not really, try something more progressive like if you don't work hard academically you would end up like Buhari which isn't that bad coz he later turned out to be a two time president without as much as a WAEC result.

Re: I Always Came First In Class: Is That A Good Motivation For A Child? by Chenzee(m): 7:26am On Mar 06, 2019
grin grin
Moneywirer:
Not really, try something more progressive like if you don't work hard academically you would end up like Buhari which isn't that bad coz he later turned out to be a two time president without as much as a WAEC result.
grin
Moneywirer:

(1) (Reply)

Pls Accomodation Needed On The Island / Nigerians Begin Burning MTN Mass And Looting Shoprite In Lagos / How Will You Handle A Lie From Your Spouse To The Public?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.