Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,511 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph (66564 Views)

Wike Is Set To Broker Obi-Kwankwaso Ticket On LP - New Telegraph / 2023: Osinbajo, Not FEC, Stood Down Amaechi’s Security Memo - New Telegraph / Commanding Officer, 14 Soldiers Killed In Borno Ambush Attack – New Telegraph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by twerkjack: 9:07pm On Mar 06, 2019
mozel247:
My happiness it that this will break Nigeria faster. Please oil price come down to 20$
after Nigeria breaks I hope u know you’ll have to be renewing visa grin

Ok na. When the country breaks make sure u all pack your bags and leave our country to yo Biafra o

We don’t wanna see u Igbos in Lagos, Abuja, Ph, Kano etc again oo

Apply for visa
Or be deported
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by grandstar(m): 10:15pm On Mar 06, 2019
PeachtreeReside:
They have been predicting Nigeria's breakup for a while now and yet we are still standing

These Western powers are using psychology to destabilise us and make us feel it's so bad then we too out of ignorance will.act accordingly .

Not all want to migrate. Many of us are okay living here. Once they break you psychologucally, they have won .

They have many issues that only if you live there you realize that it's not as great as they paint it.

We should focus on education , building infrastructures and not hate each other like is displayed here on Nairaland.

That free money that our looters used to bring to their country has dried up and so they are feeling the pangs.

We are only as inferior as we allow them to make us feel.

Run away if you like, they will never rate you as 1st class.

For those of us who will stay , we will be the pillars that will build and unify Nigeria.

Just don't believe all he negatives they write about us . It's all a ploy to divide us.

Nigeria is great and will remain greater in Jesus name.

The economy since 2015 has barely grown 1% yearly compared to the average of 6% before then. The country needs to grow by 7% just to create enough jobs for those entering into the labour market yearly.

Public debt has increased from 12% of GDP in 2014 to 22% of GDP in 2018. The country is not headed in the right direction at all

It's not only foreigners criticising him, locals as well. Utomi, Soludo and Sanusi have all condemned his policies. Sanusi has been unrelenting so much that the FG said they will not join issues with him

Read the article below

https://www.nairaland.com/4861949/lamido-sanusi-laments-buharis-economic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by grandstar(m): 10:24pm On Mar 06, 2019
GrossPrice:

So, when we exchange Buhari for Atiku Nigeria will hurry towards bloom?

Read more, and free yourselves from the Whiteman fangs. They have predicted soon for Russia, China, North Korea and Iran. Yet, they manually stage the destruction using trade embargo's.

When I say Nigerian's prefer a carpenter's advice about an electrical fault , than an electricians people think I am joking.

Are you telling me Nigeria does not have professor's of economics and public finance. So we need to ask someone who is totally unqualified for advice. Do you take a Mercedes-Benz to a Toyata mechanic.

Go and find out how many trade embargo's the West has placed on Venezuela. Fool's telling me Venuzuela crashed because of oil prices. Mr. Man the West crippled that country with trade embargo's.

Rubbish. Better read Real books.

Do we have professors of economics in Nigeria? Yes
do. And they too have condemned Buhari's policies. Just read below what Sanusi said as far back as 2016. Since 2015, he has been condemning PMB's policies.

Please read the article below

https://www.nairaland.com/4861949/lamido-sanusi-laments-buharis-economic
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by ThundrCork(m): 10:31pm On Mar 06, 2019
onez:
This country is irredeemable with the tyrant in charge. A govt that glorifies poverty and demonizes wealth and prosperity. Ghana with a tiny population is attracting more wealth. By the time the Failure finishes with us, severe extreme poverty will find home in both south and north of Niger. Who will save us?

Amaechi wasn't joking when he was caught saying "the only way this country can change is if everybody dies"
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by grandstar(m): 10:44pm On Mar 06, 2019
contigiency:

If you can't buy food that will last for 10,000 you go and farm. Those countries you refer to have many of their graduates farming. And this government has been loud encouraging people to go into farming with a lot of incentives. So You don't sit in your living room expecting government or any other person to farm and produce foods that will last for you.

In rich countries, farming accounts for barely 3% of their GDP. It is not a place of succour for unemployed graduates.

The economy needs to grow by 7% annually to create enough jobs for those entering the labour market annually. The economy has barely grown 1% since Buhari came into office compared to the 6% prior to that.

No country becomes rich with lamentable growths rates like the ones the country now has. Telling all unemployed graduates to suck it up in the face of massive unemployment and take to farming will not make the country richer but actually poorer.

If the agriculture sector growth outpaces that of manufacturing or services, it is indicative of regressive growth and in the long term,the country will become agrarian again.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by EagleNest(m): 6:34am On Mar 07, 2019
jomoh:

Nigeria can never become venezuela for 3 reasons

1. We already made it out of recession and are gradually diversifying with non oil revenue continually increasing. Presently standing at more than 40%. Venezuela wasn’t like that. They depended solely on oil and when oil fell and they entered recession, they couldn’t make it out.

2. Our subsidy is disappearing with more refineries coming up that will finally kill subsidy unlike venezuela that has the lowest petrol pump price in the world largely thanks to subsidy.

3. We have a democratically elected government not one bequeathed like that of Venezuela. We have the ruling party in control of both houses so any attempt by anyone to sabotage it and declare himself president like in the Venezuela case will be a treasononable offence and Nigerians won’t hesitate to call for the execution of such individual or group. Except if we still have stupid people in large numbers like the ones on the front page.

UK telegraph knows this but it’s the hand work of the enemies of this country that lost out during the election. I expect More of this kind of junk to come out as time goes by.

You tried in your points but just know that becoming Venezuela or Zimbabwe don't normally happen spontaneously. It takes continues and sustained bad policies from obstinate leader to create such economic suicide.

I don't wish we experience such but I beg our leaders to be humane and listening.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by Baselm: 6:56am On Mar 07, 2019
beatmonster:

Spoken like a true illiterate.

California economy, a single state in US, will swallow the so called Abacha in minutes !

I bet you don't even know the meaning of the word illiterate. prove me wrong boy
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by urahara(m): 7:17am On Mar 07, 2019
grandstar:

In rich countries, farming accounts for barely 3% of their GDP. It is not a place of succour for unemployed graduates.

The economy needs to grow by 7% annually to create enough jobs for those entering the labour market annually. The economy has barely grown 1% since Buhari came into office compared to the 6% prior to that.

No country becomes rich with lamentable growths rates like the ones the country now has. Telling all unemployed graduates to suck it up in the face of massive unemployment and take to farming will not make the country richer but actually poorer.

If the agriculture sector growth outpaces that of manufacturing or services, it is indicative of regressive growth and in the long term,the country will become agrarian again.

This is actually a thing of pride for buhari for some awkward reason.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by chozzy: 7:30am On Mar 07, 2019
mozel247:
My happiness it that this will break Nigeria faster. Please oil price come down to 20$
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by jomoh: 8:43am On Mar 07, 2019
EagleNest:

You tried in your points but just know that becoming Venezuela or Zimbabwe don't normally happen spontaneously. It takes continues and sustained bad policies from obstinate leader to create such economic suicide.

I don't wish we experience such but I beg our leaders to be humane and listening.

I don’t think any country can suddenly become a Venezuela or Zimbabwe without external sanctions aimed at crippling the economy or forcing out a particular leader.

We have a stable democracy supported by leaders around the world. Except a group of people has gone around to promise the west some juicy deals at the detriment of the country of which the present government is not providing, then I see no reason why the western leaders should turn around now and go against the country’s leadership by imposing sanctions.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by olujastro: 9:20am On Mar 07, 2019
grandstar:

People who fully support this government do so because they have been hoodwinked by Buhari's principled and incorruptible character. Therefore anything he does is good. If things are not going well, it's because people are impatient.

That was the primary reason the Northerners voted for him enmasse. That's also why people like Festus Keyamo and Itse Sagay support him.

His infrastructure works have helped the hoodwinking.

The next 4years will be one of poor economic growth rates. I doubt it will exceed 4% yearly over the next 4years compared to the 6% before he ascended office. Between 2015-2018, economy grew at a lamentable 1% on average. The country needs 7% to absorb those entering the labour market for the first time
You want to be seen as intelligent by stating the obvious but most times you end up not making tangible points.
How can an economy that went into recession due to low oil prices suddenly start growing at 7% again when the same oil price we heavily rely on to earn forex is still low?
The strength of an economy is proportional to the infrastructure it can carry. Nobody has a magic wand right now to grow Nigeria's economy at 7% without destroying something, like floating the naira or IMF intervention for example.
The fastest way to diversify for Nigeria now is through Agriculture and Solid minerals. Manufacturing and others heavily require critical infrastructure which this govt is trying to build.
For the records, Nigeria is doing far better than others who were in similar positions as us in July 2014. Angola is still in recession since 2016 till date. Their economy grew at - 5% the last time I checked. Venezuela has already gone underground.
Don't just state what we know and criticise, proffer solutions.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by 7lives: 9:32am On Mar 07, 2019
Ovamboland:

USA has been running Social Security since 1930's , there is no serous discussions about ending it despite the $17 trillion debt of the country.

Many Western countries started their even earlier, they know the importance. Nigerian government has started within what they can sustain, yet the privileged are the ones crying the most. Why has the IMF not advised European countries having economic crisis over the past 100 years to cancel their own welfare programs? Why should no poor person in Africa have support or help while whites that are richer have? Why should the few rich have access to so much via contracts and connections while nothing is offered to poor?

You just made my day.
The problem with this country is ignorance, greed and selfishness.
Some people don't even mind if their dogs have it all while other Nigerians have nothing.
I keep saying it that the saving grace for this country at the moment, is to have a man like Buhari in charge, what the IMF would have done to this country would have lead us to Venezuela.
Their evil agenda for this county will not work.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by obailala(m): 9:35am On Mar 07, 2019
Excaperx:
No wonder the international bodies didn't support atiku, they won't profit if Nigeria is doing great and atiku is economic friendly.

[s]Nigeria was the fastest growing economy till Obama removed Jonathan for usa selfish interest.[/s]
Amazing how even educated people swallow and continue to peddle these fake beer parlour economic analysis which is based purely on false figures. Why exactly is it impossible for many Nigerians to study and confirm info?

Nigerians economy was growing very well because oil prices were very high and the inflow of oil dollars helped to boost all economic indices. The moment oil prices crashed, all of that crashed, and it happened well before even GEJ left office.

Nigeria's GDP growth was in the real of 6% and it was PREDICTED to hit over 7% in 2014/2015, making Nigeria the third fastest growing economy in the world (it was a prediction, not yet reality). But what happened in reality?... Oil prices crashed from mid-2014 and that 6% growth began an inevitable decline quarter after quarter and had already hit 2% before GEJ left office (I'm guessing you dont know this). The factor precipitating that decline was purely oil prices and as oil prices continued to crash, the GDP fell even further into the negative realm (recession). But of course, both educated and uneducated alike chose to believe that change of leadership was solely responsible.

If GEJ had continued in office, the recession would have still inevitably happened, and that's cos Nigeria is overdependent on oil. If GEJ and the great professors and economists could not stop a GDP rate decline from 6% to 2% when oil still sold above $65, how exactly was an illiterate Buhari meant to magically prevent the falling train from dropping a further 2 points into recession even when oil prices fell further to $28?...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by chozzy: 9:49am On Mar 07, 2019
Esseite:

It's quite amazing how Nigeria threw aspirants directly involved in Nigerian industries and businesses under the bus for someone who just recently said "after 2023 I would go home and settle".... he didn't even care to tell Nigerians how we would get to 2023 in one piece.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by beatmonster(m): 10:16am On Mar 07, 2019
Baselm:

I bet you don't even know the meaning of the word illiterate. prove me wrong boy

I can't prove an illiterate wrong because he argues with hearsays and sentiments rather than facts and figures.

Get lost
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by VolvoS60(m): 11:28am On Mar 07, 2019
AnanseK:

When the stock market lost N89bn after Buhari's re-election, many Nigerians were quick to break the news. Today, the stock market has gain N112bn, there is no breaking news.

^^
I am not ready to be dragged into a back and forth about the Buhari administration - the most recent in a long line of mediocre governments. I simply state the facts as I see them. Having said that, I would ask that you note that the stock market is not necessarily an index of development - particularly when investment capital in your stock market is dominated by speculative capital. What do you think is a key trigger of financial crises when it takes flight? undecided

AnanseK:

Some few months ago, the international community reported that Nigeria has become the poverty headquarter of the world. In excitement, many Nigerians were quick and eager to break the news. This same international community have said the 2019 elections are the most credible and democratic and many Nigerians are not happy and have rejected the commendation.

^^
This is highly misleading. I do not know anyone "eager to break the news" about poverty in Nigeria - poverty in Nigeria is not news. Our own statistical agency (the NBS) has made this point (about poverty in Nigeria) very clearly, time after time - I do not need the so called "international community" to report to me about poverty here!

If the 2019 elections were the most credible and democratic (your words quoting the "international community" undecided), then we have set a very low bar.

Violence. Death. Gunfire. Ballot box snatching. Kidnappings. Malfunctioning equipment. A turnout of just over a third of registered voters (the impact of intimidation by state and non-state actors on voter turnout cannot be ruled out). And so on. Is this what makes an election credible and democratic? undecided

AnanseK:

The restructuring we preach must start from our minds. Why will you be happy when something bad happens in your country? Why do you reject or despise any good thing about your country?

^^
I will speak for myself. I gain no pleasure if things go wrong in this country - I live here after all.

AnanseK:

In the last one week, Nigeria has made positive news: we are now the highest rice producer in Africa, the mining sector has recorded 500% increase in revenue, the volume of export have increased by 39%... These are cheering news that have gone almost unnoticed.

^^
The news has not gone unnoticed. I will always give credit where it is due. The big question is whether this government will continue the profligacy of previous administrations - that is the quickest way of ensuring that whatever gains have been made will disappear quickly.

AnanseK:

We must start restructuring our minds on what we want of Nigeria.

^^
Some of us do mean well for this country. And that's why we will continue to call out those who don't. You need to go back and read my initial post. I gave a few clear reasons why our economy remains supine. Any government that keeps doing things the old way and expects miracles is deceiving itself and Nigerians too.

That is all there is to it.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by GrossPrice: 1:01pm On Mar 07, 2019
kernel001:

With a GDP of $349.299bn, South Africa is the second largest economy in the continent

[Redacted]
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by kernel001: 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2019
GrossPrice:

Are you saying South Africa is economically more productive than Egypt or Nigeria?

Do you know how much get's repatriated from Nigeria to S.A
You have no idea !

Yes Sir. Reason is simple, the both of them generates almost the same amount of GDP, but the viability of an economy is measured by GDP per Capital, which is GDP divided by the population.

Secondly, they make hell of money from Nigeria, don't we have protectist law? Those laws that gives advantage to infant and indigenous companies. Don't blame them if they're involved in capital flight.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by Olumyco(m): 2:01pm On Mar 07, 2019
ExHusband:

So? It still accounts for 96% of exports. The 40% figure is oil's GDP contribution, not its share of export earnings. IF you don't know something this basic, why do you feel entitled to comment on this issue?

Well you have educated me. Thanks. The Oil is even appr. 10% of our GDP and not 40%.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by Olumyco(m): 2:17pm On Mar 07, 2019
kernel001:

Yes Sir. Reason is simple, the both of them generates almost the same amount of GDP, but the viability of an economy is measured by GDP per Capital, which is GDP divided by the population.

Secondly, they make hell of money from Nigeria, don't we have protectist law? Those laws that gives advantage to infant and indigenous companies. Don't blame them if they're involved in capital flight.

GDP per Capital comes in when talking about equal wealth distribution/individuals wealth in a country. Its just a kind of healthy indicator to ascertain the wealth of the country in relation to its people. There are many factors that measures economy viability. For your information Equatorial Guinea, Secheylles, Gabon etc are toping GDP per Capital in Africa and this does not mean they have strong economy. Many of them even import more than they export. Their GDPs are low. That of South Africa is healthy and good becos they have high GDP and export more than they import. Compare to Nigeria wealth is more evenly distributed in South Africa and also individual there are richer due to the high GDP per Capital but economy wise in terms of GDP Nigeria as a Country is richer.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by kernel001: 2:58pm On Mar 07, 2019
Olumyco:

GDP per Capital comes in when talking about equal wealth distribution/individuals wealth in a country. Its just a kind of healthy indicator to ascertain the wealth of the country in relation to its people. There are many factors that measures economy viability. For your information Equatorial Guinea, Secheylles, Gabon etc are toping GDP per Capital in Africa and this does not mean they have strong economy. Many of them even import more than they export. Their GDPs are low. That of South Africa is healthy and good becos they have high GDP and export more than they import. Compare to Nigeria wealth is more evenly distributed in South Africa and also individual there are richer due to the high GDP per Capital but economy wise in terms of GDP Nigeria as a Country is richer.

You've got some point, but then... The large volume of trade or GDP doesn't transcend to better economy, it's GDP per capital that determines. Example... South Africa standard of living is four times better than that of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by grandstar(m): 6:02pm On Mar 07, 2019
olujastro:

You want to be seen as intelligent by stating the obvious but most times you end up not making tangible points.
How can an economy that went into recession due to low oil prices suddenly start growing at 7% again when the same oil price we heavily rely on to earn forex is still low?
The strength of an economy is proportional to the infrastructure it can carry. Nobody has a magic wand right now to grow Nigeria's economy at 7% without destroying something, like floating the naira or IMF intervention for example.
The fastest way to diversify for Nigeria now is through Agriculture and Solid minerals. Manufacturing and others heavily require critical infrastructure which this govt is trying to build.
For the records, Nigeria is doing far better than others who were in similar positions as us in July 2014. Angola is still in recession since 2016 till date. Their economy grew at - 5% the last time I checked. Venezuela has already gone underground.
Don't just state what we know and criticise, proffer solutions.

The strength of an economy is not based solely on the quality of infrastructure it has or else Taiwan and Italy would never have become rich countries.

Companies in developing countries can still thrive with poor infrastructure. 2 examples today are India and Pakistan.

I have always argued that for the country to hit 7% growth rates now, it would need structural reforms.

Anyway, Buhari's exchange controls using the words of Charles Soludo simply made a "bad matter worse.". That's my anger with Buhari

I wrote off this government within a month of taking over. He arbitrarily fixed the exchange rate at 197 to a $ without regard to market forces. He thought wicked economist were the ones that determined exchange without regard to the masses. It's like thinking that it was mathematicians that determined that 1+1= 2. They are simply interpreting what nature says. The same with economists.

Diversifying exports is very important but commercial lending rates of 25% does the most damage to businesses in the real sector and not even infrastructure. Dangote said how can the country have a thriving agricultural sector with leading rates at 20%?

Low lending will enable manufacturers for instance import world beating machinery that would make them competitive. Productivity is very low because of the high cost of credit. If Nigeria was a mine, it would be artisanial with corresponding low levels of productivity. Low credit would enable them to keep expanding until the local market is too small and exports are the only option.

The only way non-oil exports can boom now until lending rates are brought down is through foreigners setting up factories and mines. FDI tends to target areas the country has comparative advantage.

Angola was badly governed by Dos Santos so it's not a surprise. This is a country with about 20m people producing about 2m barrels of crude oil daily but can't balance it's budget.

Venezuela since 2003 to me has been a basket case only it wasn't discernible grin. It is not until you marry your fiance that you realise she's not wife material. The signs were already there from the word go.

FG can bring down lending rates to single digits levels by ending the "Naira substitution" policy.
Google " Ending Naira substitution policy by Henry Boyo".

Foreign investors can be lured to invest by slashing corporate taxes to no more than 15%. FG must also end multiple exchange as it screams economic incompetence to foreign investors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by urahara(m): 6:51pm On Mar 07, 2019
grandstar:

The strength of an economy is not based solely on the quality of infrastructure it has or else Taiwan and Italy would never have become rich countries.

Companies in developing countries can still thrive with poor infrastructure. 2 examples today are India and Pakistan.

I have always argued that for the country to hit 7% growth rates now, it would need structural reforms.

Anyway, Buhari's exchange controls using the words of Charles Soludo simply made a "bad matter worse.". That's my anger with Buhari

I wrote off this government within a month of taking over. He arbitrarily fixed the exchange rate at 197 to a $ without regard to market forces. He thought wicked economist were the ones that determined exchange without regard to the masses. It's like thinking that mathematicians that determined that 1+1= 2. They are simply interpreting what nature says. The same with economists.

Diversifying exports is very important but commercial lending rates of 25% does the most damage to businesses in the real sector and not even infrastructure. Dangote said how can the country have a thriving agricultural sector with leading rates at 20%?

Low lending will enable manufacturers for instance import world beating machinery that would make them competitive. Productivity is very low because of the high cost of credit. If Nigeria was a mine, it would be artisanial with corresponding low levels of credit. Low credit would enable them to keep expanding until the local market is too small and exports are the only option.

The only way non-oil exports can boom now until lending rates are brought down is through foreigners setting up factories and mines. FDI tends to target areas the country has comparative advantage.

Angola was badly governed by Dos Santos so it's not a surprise. This is a country with about 20m people producing about 2m barrels of crude oil daily but can't balance it's budget.

Venezuela since 2003 to me has been a basket case only it wasn't discernible grin. It is not until you marry f G that you realise she's not wife material. The signs were
already there from the word go.

FG can bring down lending rates to single digits levels by ending the "Naira substitution" policy.

Foreign investors can be lured to invest by slashing corporate taxes to no more than 15%. FG must also end multiple exchange as it screams economic incompetence to foreign investors.

But @ grandstar. How come even with the multiple exchange rates , we have still been getting fdi inflows
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by almarthins(m): 9:14pm On Mar 07, 2019
Excaperx:
No wonder the international bodies didn't support atiku, they won't profit if Nigeria is doing great and atiku is economic friendly.

Nigeria was the fastest growing economy till Obama removed Jonathan for usa selfish interest.

Na obama remove jonathan? U well so undecided
Why una go dey blame oyinbo wey sit down jeje for una own plight?
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by trillville(m): 4:24am On Mar 08, 2019
grandstar:

I wrote off this government within a month of taking over. He arbitrarily fixed the exchange rate at 197 to a $ without regard to market forces. He thought wicked economist were the ones that determined exchange without regard to the masses. It's like thinking that it was mathematicians that determined that 1+1= 2. They are simply interpreting what nature says. The same with economists.

Low lending will enable manufacturers for instance import world beating machinery that would make them competitive. Productivity is very low because of the high cost of credit. If Nigeria was a mine, it would be artisanial with corresponding low levels of productivity. Low credit would enable them to keep expanding until the local market is too small and exports are the only option.

Venezuela since 2003 to me has been a basket case only it wasn't discernible grin. It is not until you marry your fiance that you realise she's not wife material. The signs were already there from the word go.

Comments like this one seem so enlightening and educative, yet unfortunately, are terribly wrong.

Nigeria neither needs to increase exports nor should it consider reducing interest rates. As you rightly stated, just as economist do not control exchange rates, they also do not control interest rates. The rates proposed by the CBN only act as a guide to the market but in reality, the rates would naturally rise to that level.

What is Reason for high interest rates in Nigeria? High importation of foreign goods. High interest rates make treasury bills/bonds attractive to foreigners, thus it brings in a high amount of foreign exchange. This foreign exchange is then substituted for the naira to allow for importation. What this means is that if Nigeria imports less, it would not need as much foreign exchange, so it would not need such high interest rates.

Obviously, To reduce importation Nigeria has to increase the productivity of its people. Best way to do this is in investments in education and healthcare.

Steve Babaeko, founder of X3M records rightly said the Nigerian government did not invest in music nor nollywood, yet both industries are highly productive, increasing Nigeria's earnings and also projecting a good image of Nigeria to the world.

How much money did the US government give to google, Facebook or Amazon? Zilch.

With education, people will naturally find productive endeavours to go into. The government does not need to focus on agriculture, science and technology. Even electricity was not discovered through government intervention but by educated and creative people whose focus was on increasing their productivity. Even infrastructure, there may be more efficient ways to solve our deficit but without mass education such solutions will never come out.

Another thing the Nigerian government can do to increase our GDP more quickly is to become more efficient in its spending of our earnings from crude oil. Like a business can increase its profitability by reducing its costs, a country can also increase its GDP the same way.

Ways to increase efficiency include:

-further devaluation of the naira which would reduce local demand for dollars hence naturally bring down interest rates.

- sack government workers. Most of them are unproductive including myself TBH. This will also bring down interest rates without having any adverse effect on the economy. It is actually brainless to continue paying people for no services. It is a moral hazard to cater for only 1 percent of your population. Funds need to be spent on education and healthcare as earlier stated.

- increase taxation specifically on the rich. Increased taxation reduces disposable income does leads to lower demand for foreign exchange and would also naturally bring down exchange rates.

I just reread boyo's view. With his substitution, he will invariably float the naira freely thus allowing market forces to determine the value of the naira. His view is better than what is currently being carried out but monetary policies by the CBN are not enough to turn this tide. I must admit, I thought there was no validity to his point of view.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by otokx(m): 5:29am On Mar 08, 2019
Nigeria is not doing too badly.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by olamil34(m): 8:04am On Mar 08, 2019
winningwinner:

So this is how small your sense of reasoning is? Was the PHCN totally sold out or is it its distribution department that was sold? Who controls power generation in Nigeria?
It seems you're out of tune with nature!

Who sold that part off, am guessing P.D.P, of which your beloved candidate decamped to A.P.C to support buhari.

Bros, now who has the small sense of reasoning?
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by olamil34(m): 8:07am On Mar 08, 2019
mamotalk:

But if you can be sincere with yourself, what was the position of APC on privatisation in 2014? Now if you considered it not too good, why have you not taken steps to right the wrongs of the PDP?
APC is a group of hypocrites.

True, but they are a safer choice than P.D.P, imagine a candidate saying he will sell of nnpc to his FRIENDS.

That alone turned me off, this people only care about there bank account.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by Olumyco(m): 11:38am On Mar 14, 2019
trillville:

Comments like this one seem so enlightening and educative, yet unfortunately, are terribly wrong.

Nigeria neither needs to increase exports nor should it consider reducing interest rates. As you rightly stated, just as economist do not control exchange rates, they also do not control interest rates. The rates proposed by the CBN only act as a guide to the market but in reality, the rates would naturally rise to that level.

What is Reason for high interest rates in Nigeria? High importation of foreign goods. High interest rates make treasury bills/bonds attractive to foreigners, thus it brings in a high amount of foreign exchange. This foreign exchange is then substituted for the naira to allow for importation. What this means is that if Nigeria imports less, it would not need as much foreign exchange, so it would not need such high interest rates.

Obviously, To reduce importation Nigeria has to increase the productivity of its people. Best way to do this is in investments in education and healthcare.

Steve Babaeko, founder of X3M records rightly said the Nigerian government did not invest in music nor nollywood, yet both industries are highly productive, increasing Nigeria's earnings and also projecting a good image of Nigeria to the world.

How much money did the US government give to google, Facebook or Amazon? Zilch.

With education, people will naturally find productive endeavours to go into. The government does not need to focus on agriculture, science and technology. Even electricity was not discovered through government intervention but by educated and creative people whose focus was on increasing their productivity. Even infrastructure, there may be more efficient ways to solve our deficit but without mass education such solutions will never come out.

Another thing the Nigerian government can do to increase our GDP more quickly is to become more efficient in its spending of our earnings from crude oil. Like a business can increase its profitability by reducing its costs, a country can also increase its GDP the same way.

Ways to increase efficiency include:

-further devaluation of the naira which would reduce local demand for dollars hence naturally bring down interest rates.

- sack government workers. Most of them are unproductive including myself TBH. This will also bring down interest rates without having any adverse effect on the economy. It is actually brainless to continue paying people for no services. It is a moral hazard to cater for only 1 percent of your population. Funds need to be spent on education and healthcare as earlier stated.

- increase taxation specifically on the rich. Increased taxation reduces disposable income does leads to lower demand for foreign exchange and would also naturally bring down exchange rates.

I just reread boyo's view. With his substitution, he will invariably float the naira freely thus allowing market forces to determine the value of the naira. His view is better than what is currently being carried out but monetary policies by the CBN are not enough to turn this tide. I must admit, I thought there was no validity to his point of view.

Wow! Guy you try. You sabi oooo. Your comment is highly educative and intelligent.
To me the government should just invest into Infrastructure and Education and watch Nigeria blow

1 Like

Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by Olumyco(m): 11:51am On Mar 14, 2019
kernel001:

You've got some point, but then... The large volume of trade or GDP doesn't transcend to better economy, it's GDP per capital that determines. Example... South Africa standard of living is four times better than that of Nigeria.

Large volume of trade transcend to better economy Sir. When the business/economy activity in a country is low it affects the economy of the country. Why do job creation, industries, companies and co contributes to the GDP of a country? Because they are economic activities.

About Standard of living.... there are many factors that determines the standard of living in a country. Standard of living simply means what the country has to give a quality life/living. So things like economy, infrastructure, security, Govt. policies and co determines the quality of life you get in a country. A country like South Africa has a higher standard of living than Nigeria but not by 4 times... that is exaggeration. Their standard of living is much rooted in infrastructure because they have it more than Nigeria not because of GDP per capital. GDP per capital is one of it but will still have to depend on the infrastructure in the country and the economy in terms of prices of goods and services. A country with inflation how will GDP per capital shine in such places/give standard of living. Security, market price and co are still problems in SA.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by kernel001: 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2019
Olumyco:

Large volume of trade transcend to better economy Sir. When the business/economy activity in a country is low it affects the economy of the country. Why do job creation, industries, companies and co contributes to the GDP of a country? Because they are economic activities.

About Standard of living.... there are many factors that determines the standard of living in a country. Standard of living simply means what the country has to give a quality life/living. So things like economy, infrastructure, security, Govt. policies and co determines the quality of life you get in a country. A country like South Africa has a higher standard of living than Nigeria but not by 4 times... that is exaggeration. Their standard of living is much rooted in infrastructure because they have it more than Nigeria not because of GDP per capital. GDP per capital is one of it but will still have to depend on the infrastructure in the country and the economy in terms of prices of goods and services. A country with inflation how will GDP per capital shine in such places/give standard of living. Security, market price and co are still problems in SA.

Sir... Why is Switzerland GDP per person 40 times better India? While Switzerland total trade doesn't come close to India, since you're of the opinion that it's majorly volume of trade, instead of volume of trade divided by the population.
Re: Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela - UK Telegraph by Olumyco(m): 4:51pm On Mar 14, 2019
kernel001:

Sir... Why is Switzerland GDP per person 40 times better India? While Switzerland total trade doesn't come close to India, since you're of the opinion that it's majorly volume of trade, instead of volume of trade divided by the population.

Equitorial Guinea, Gabon, Seychelles etc all have high GDP per Capita... do they have strong economy?
In terms of GDP per Capita Luxembourg is one of the leading country in the world. Does she have strong economy? Sir I have already explained where GDP per capita belong to. Your GDP per Capita will shine where there is high volume of trade meaning big economy. Switzerland has a huge GDP already and also high GDP per Capita so their standard of living will be high coupled with infrastructure and others.

US too is not leading based GDP per capita but its still has high GDP per Capita and their economy also is big which tells us the standard of living there is high.

India has huge GDP and their small GDP per Capita tells you their economy activities is still low compare to the population. Same with Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Oyo Speaker, Adebo Ogundoyin At His Hometown, Eruwa After Swearing In / Secondary School Students Arrested For Cultism Pictured With Gov Okorocha / Iyiola Omisore Surprises Ooni Of Ife With A Bulletproof Cadillac Escalade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.