Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba (24708 Views)

No Leader Has Spoken For Africa Like President Tinubu Did At UNGA, Says Agbakoba / Kano Tribunal Says PDP Agent, Not Gawuna Snatched Gama Results / I Saw My Statement For The First Time Before Tribunal, Says Atiku’s Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by kahal29: 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2019
National Intervention Movement Co-chairman, Dr Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), on Wednesday said Alhaji Atiku Abubakar faces an uphill battle to overturn Presidential Muhammadu Buhari’s victory at the Election Petition Tribunal.

According to him, it has to be proven that there were electoral irregularities and that they affected the election results.

Agbakoba, a Life Bencher who chairs the Peoples Trust Party (PTP) and the “third force political parties”, said he was misquoted in his earlier statement to say that Atiku would lose at the Tribunal.

“That is far from the truth. I meant the former Vice President will face an uphill task, given the circumstances of challenging the election results.

“My initial decision to charge the former Vice President not to go to court is based on the fact that President Buhari has subverted the Supreme Court by the removal of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Walter Onnoghen, and the appointment of the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.

“My perception is that we need to resolve the status of the Supreme Court. I wonder what is taking the National Judicial Council so long.

“I am also worried about the historical precedent, as no petition on presidential election result has ever succeeded.

“As one of Nigeria’s experienced election petition lawyers, I know that the burden of proof to succeed in an election petition is unfairly huge.

“We first have to prove that there are electoral irregularities and in my view, once you prove this, you should succeed.

“Unfortunately, even if you prove electoral irregularities you will have to show how that affected the results of the election.

“Remember that the gap between former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar and President Buhari is about four million votes,” Agbakoba said.

The former Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) President believes the presidential election results were “manifestly riddled” with electoral irregularities.

He, however, emphasised that Atiku is constitutionally entitled to approach the tribunal.

“My personal advice has become irrelevant. I fully support and wish former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar every success,” Agbakoba.

In the earlier statement urging Atiku not to challenge Buhari’s victory, Agbakoba said: “I understand the PDP is aggrieved about the outcome of the election and alleged massive irregularities. But, I urge former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar not to approach the Election Petition Tribunal.

“He might have moved backwards by his loss but he should not lose sight of the legacy and greatness that lies in front of him. He is in a strong position to take up the mantle of a statesman.

“He can build a new Nigeria movement from the motley of small parties, third force actors, change actors and millions who are desperate for a strong, united Nigeria.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/atiku-faces-uphill-task-at-tribunal-says-agbakoba/

4 Likes

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by kahal29: 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2019
When I hear that PDP and Atiku are going to Court to reclaim what they called their "stole mandate" I laugh because I know they would get nothing at the end of the day. I say this because of the following reasons

1. Atiku and his PDP party act as if they don't know how much they have destroyed our present day courts and laws that would Infact make it difficult for them now to get anything from the same Court. In attempt to ensure that some PDP governors maintained their positions in the past the PDP made laws that made it impossible to get victory at the Court. Even the Supreme Court also made pronouncements that makes it difficult for you to prove anything in court no matter the evidence you have.

2. In the court, most of the PDP'S allegations will revolve around "infractions and Substantial non compliance". These allegations are always criminal in nature of which the PDP must prove beyond reasonable doubt and this is where the problem lies.

3. Proving beyond reasonable doubt is the most difficult thing to do even with the so called high tech/HD video evidence they claim to have because to even tender the said videos is another problem on its own. If finally the video evidence is allowed the production of the said video will become another issue.

According to latest Supreme Court judgement one person cannot tender several videos taken in various places at same time. The reason is because you can only be at one place at a time. Hence if you have 1000 of such videos it therefore means that the 1000 persons who recorded the said video would give evidence. Assuming they succeed in giving evidence the next issue will be wether the evidence from 1000 polling units can affect the result of over 140,000 polling units in Nigeria?

3. In the case of rigging as PDP is alleging, this also according to Supreme court judgement must be proved polling unit by polling unit and this is where the problem of PDP will begin since we have over 140,000 polling units in Nigeria.

4. Finally if the PDP have bothered to read the Supreme Court judgement in the following cases

* Wike vs Peterside
* Udom Emmanuel vs Umana Umana
* Okezie Ikpeazu vs Alex Otti

Then they would know that they are on a wild goose chase because it will be easier for the camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for the PDP or Atiku to prove infractions and substantial non compliance in the court so as to recover their supposedly stolen mandate.

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by tribalistseun: 12:40pm On Mar 06, 2019
APC don bribe this mumuu man

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by Sisqoman(m): 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2019
Like if you love Atiku, share if you hate Atiku...

95 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by chudez0147(m): 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2019
Is it your uphill? Face front!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by chrisifeanyi: 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2019
Agbakoba go and sit down. He's not using your money. What's all this?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by BlackfireX: 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2019
I need a job...

I want to replace buhari
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by fredoooooo: 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2019
Sharp guy that one don use juju collect money from him , he's now giving advice . grin

E no go better for anybody that ask Atiku not to go court.. but please Hire my uncle as ya lawyer grin

1 Like

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by Basic123: 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2019
STILL ABOUT ONNOGHEN,grin

PDP PDP PDP

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by slivertongue: 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2019
let him try as nothing is impossible

1 Like

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by globemoney: 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2019
You lost your own polling unit and you still hope you would win the election? Did the rigging or the suppression start from his polling unit? Looks like Atiku is very stubborn and doesn't think. That was how he selected his VP candidate against proper recommendations and consultations from SE leaders and governors and failed himself in SE.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by hoodedjaystrim(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2019
my own is that we should pray for Atiku+ Real Madrid supporters

They should have the strength to take this upcoming defeat

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by pinfeeds(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2019
LOL...

3 Likes

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by princegeo(m): 12:44pm On Mar 06, 2019
OGA barrister what are you saying

That' ATIKU should go to court or he shouldn't go
No come dy speak too much grammar here
Nairaland no be court

1 Like

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by freemanbubble: 12:44pm On Mar 06, 2019
Okay
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by Bighead9: 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2019
Buhari has won the election, Nigerians have spoken. Atiku, Biafrans and PDP should go locate the nearest Transformer.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by princenaira(m): 12:47pm On Mar 06, 2019
Agbako a, another Sothern slave of buhari
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by osazeeblue01: 12:48pm On Mar 06, 2019
By the grace of God Atiku will come victorious.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by hisexcellency34: 12:48pm On Mar 06, 2019
This fake lawyer called Agbakoba speaks with two sides of his mouth
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by Twopac: 12:48pm On Mar 06, 2019
It’s well.
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by sheunflexy(m): 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by lonelydora: 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2019
It is his right though but i wish he can move on and leave this court thing.

Good luck to him

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by somalianprince: 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2019
So much evidences have been gathered to upturn the scam election in favour Atiku. Just watch us at the tribunal
Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by yinkus6750(m): 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2019
A very difficult task to upturn PMBs victory.
Both sides are deeply involved in the irregularities.

4 Likes

Re: Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2019
“My initial decision to charge the former Vice President not to go to court is based on the fact that President Buhari has subverted the Supreme Court by the removal of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Walter Onnoghen, and the appointment of the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.

“My perception is that we need to resolve the status of the Supreme Court. I wonder what is taking the National Judicial Council so long.

seems no one is seeing this part.

President Buhari that he wants to challenge at the Courts now has absolute power and everyone seems comfortable with it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ebelechukwu Obiano Wins APGA Anambra North Senatorial Primary / Dr Aliyu Tilde Endorses Bola Tinubu. Releases Presidential Election Projections. / Locating Nigeria's Four Topmost Offices In One Area Untenable - Uduaghan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.