Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

- Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / (425 Views)

President Buhari Okays 65-year Retirement Age For Teachers / 65-Year-Old Woman, Enakimio, Graduates From Covenant University With Masters / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

by julybaba(m): 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2019
In a swift reaction to the plan by a 65-year-old retired teacher who served in the Bauchi State Civil Service, Mr Alhamdu Dan’Azumi, to terminate his own life, the National Pension Commission (PenCom) on Friday promised to assist him in getting his entitlement.

The Head, Research and Corporate Strategy of the commission, Dr Aminu Farouk, made the promise while reacting to the March 4 death threat by Da’Azumi in an interview wit the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.

It was reported on on March 6, that the prompt intervention of few journalists and others around saved the life of Dan’Azumi.

Dan’Azumi was a Primary School teacher who retired from active service in the Ningi Local Government Authority, Bauchi, in 2016 and started collecting pension in 2018.

The report had indicated that Dan’azumi had walked into the premises of the Nigerian Union of
Journalist (NUJ) Press Center, Bauchi and attempted to commit suicide for the refusal of the state government to settle his gratuity years after retirement from active service.

Dan’Azumi reportedly chanted: “I have worked for 35 years and retired and I am entitled to my gratuity.

“I cannot even sit with my family because I can hardly cater for their needs, pls help me.”

It added that Dan’Azumi claimed that he was indebted to the tune of N800,000 and had been HIV positive for over 20 years.

Faroul said that Bauch State where the aggrieved worked and retired, was not implementing the
Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS).

He, however, pleaded with Dan’azumi to write a letter of complaint and send to PenCom, as the commission was willing to intervene quickly.

“Although Bauchi State is not implementing the CPS, the retiree can send us a complaint.

“We shall see how we can assist him to get his entitlements,” Farouk said.

Farouk said PenCom would continuously leave up to the expectations of catering for Nigerians at old age.
Re: by julybaba(m): 8:45am On Jul 12, 2019
[font=sans-serif]hmm[/font]

(1) (Reply)

JAMB Fixes 11th April For UTME Exam, Postpones Mock, Re-opens Registration Porta / The Polytechnic Ibadan Resumption Date Adjourned / Nigeria Police Academy Admission Form Into The 7th Regular Course 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.