Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). (15897 Views)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds / Transformation Photos Of A Lady Living With HIV In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by drehdinho(m): 7:59am On Sep 13, 2021
This is absolutely interesting. I must comment the originator of this thread for her selflessness , coming out regularly for over two years to educate people living with Sickle Cell Disease.

I always feel sad whenever I find people trapped in this situation, because I know it’s not their fault.

I met a lady recently. She looked so beautiful and full of life, very open and caring even more than my current girlfriend.

When she told me she’s a SCD patient I felt so sad. It’s the love that I have for her that bought me here.

Have been researching about this disease the whole time after this revelation.

I want to assure everyone here reading that you don’t fail until you stop trying.

From the little have researched, there’s a lot of hope for you health wise.

Don’t stop being positive. Eat well. And ensure you keep in touch with folks who only see you as a rare gem.

It is well with your souls.

3 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by brine(m): 2:49pm On Sep 15, 2021
Hi guys

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried "niclovix anti sickling capsule" ?

Thanks
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 3:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
drehdinho:
This is absolutely interesting. I must comment the originator of this thread for her selflessness , coming out regularly for over two years to educate people living with Sickle Cell Disease.

I always feel sad whenever I find people trapped in this situation, because I know it’s not their fault.

I met a lady recently. She looked so beautiful and full of life, very open and caring even more than my current girlfriend.

When she told me she’s a SCD patient I felt so sad. It’s the love that I have for her that bought me here.

I want to assure everyone here reading that you don’t fail until you stop trying.

Don’t stop being positive. Eat well. And ensure you keep in touch with folks who only see you as a rare gem.

I get really hyped up when I see a new comment here. I'm super happy that you took time to drop one.
Thank you Sir.

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 4:01pm On Sep 15, 2021
brine:
Hi guys

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried "niclovix anti sickling capsule" ?

Thanks

Hello Brine.
When it comes to my health, i am really careful about what I take.
I've never heard of that medication, all I take is my routine drugs(when I feel like) and a lot of water.
That works.
Nevertheless don't take drugs due to hear say , take only what your doctor recommends.
Sickle cell has a lot of types so we have to be careful.

Be safe.

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2021
Hey guys,,
I really feel good today.
Someone read this thread and gave me a call. We had a very nice conversation even she cheered me on cheesy. And then I come here to meet a very beautiful comment about what I do here and a reminder that this has been on for 2 years. shocked
WOW ��
WOW �
And you still think I should be happy abi?.
Theses small wins mean a whole lot to me and I am so grateful and happy and excited.

Thank you all for reading my crap all the time. It's really amazing.
Thank you.

Peace ✌️

5 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 3:31pm On Sep 17, 2021
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 3:35pm On Sep 17, 2021
[
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 9:55pm On Sep 25, 2021
REAL STORIES OF PEOPLE LIVING WITH SICKLE CELL

Tristan's story

I was diagnosed with sickle cell disease at 6 months of age in my hometown of Williamsport, Pennsylvania. At that time, I was only the second person in our city to be diagnosed with sickle cell disease. This was back in 1983, when there wasn’t much known about the disease. The doctor who diagnosed me told my mom and grandmother that I wouldn’t live past 20 years old. However, trusting in God, and having praying grandmothers and a family of faith, I am living well with sickle cell at age 37.

Life with sickle cell has had its challenges, especially in my younger years. When I was age 9, I suffered a stroke and spent almost 2 years in the hospital recovering. My entire life changed after I left the hospital. I had to do years of physical therapy as well as occupational therapy, relearning to walk, talk, use the bathroom, and a lot of everyday activities people tend to take for granted. When I returned to school, kids were very mean and cruel to me. Adults were constantly looking at me weird. I felt very uncomfortable in my life at that time. I was depressed and constantly feeling sorry for myself.

Everything changed one day when I decided to try out for a play. I asked my mom if I could do it, and although she was apprehensive about it after seeing how people treated me, she still allowed me to try it. That’s when my life changed for the better. I made the play and was great in it. I noticed that when I was on the stage, people were still looking at me. But instead of looking at me for my disability, they were looking at me for my talent.

I began doing more acting and started modeling school about a year later. I really found my voice and came into my own. Walking the runway helped my balance and posture. Acting helped with my speech and my facial expressions. I was thriving despite what had happened to me. I had more confidence in myself. l felt empowered and positive about my life again. After I graduated from high school, I continued to pursue acting and modeling. I got some real acting work on TV shows as well as becoming a professional model in New York City, doing multiple photoshoots with celebrity photographers. Still to this day, I am doing those things, in addition to having my own fashion line that I created for sickle cell disease awareness, called DiVo Stars.

As an independent fashion designer, I did fashion shows for Harrisburg Fashion Week, Baltimore Fashion Week, and New York Fashion Week, spreading sickle cell awareness through fashion in each of these places. I even created and produced three New York Fashion Week shows in my hometown as fundraisers for sickle cell charities I’ve worked with over the years.

Currently, along with being a professional model, actor, and independent fashion designer, I’m a professional patient advocate for the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America (SCDAA), the Sickle Cell Pennsylvania Sickle Cell Council, and Sick Cells. I am also a peer mentor for the SCDAA, helping youth with sickle cell disease transition from pediatric care to adult care. So while life with sickle cell disease has had its challenges, it has also given me so much strength, compassion, and heart. It has brought things across my path that may never have been there had I not had it. So that’s it. That’s my sickle cell success story.

I’m sharing my story so others can read about people who are living WELL with sickle cell. This year, I have been fortunate to work with the National Organization for Rare Disorders and be the Rare Disease Day Hero of 2021 in the United States, representing sickle cell disease. My story has been shared nationally as well as internationally during the month of February. It’s really been a blessing. I hope that this can make a difference in helping to bring the public health data on sickle cell disease to life and help others who are living with sickle cell disease.

Tips for Others
My advice to kids growing up with sickle cell disease is this: There will be times when this disease will be draining physically, emotionally, and mentally. During those days and times, it will feel like “it’s too much,” and there will be days when you feel like “why me” or feel like you just want to give up. When those times come, just know that you are not alone. All sickle cell warriors go through it, are going through it, and living through it. You are stronger than sickle cell. Just take good care of yourself and never give up. Keep faith that God will never leave you and lean on him when needed. We are sickle cell WARRIORS, which means we were made for this battle. You got this, and your life will get better. You have a purpose, and a destiny like no one else on the planet. There is a whole community of support to help you, listen to you, and that truly cares about you and your life. Keep telling yourself even though you have sickle cell, sickle cell will NEVER have you! Stay strong, and please keep fighting for your life because your best days are still ahead. God Bless.

CDC thanks Tristan for sharing his personal story.

Page last reviewed: June 11, 2021
Content source:  National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
homeSickle Cell Disease Home
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 9:24pm On Nov 14, 2021
Hey guys.
happy Sunday
How was your day ?I'm sorry I often remember this space when I'm in deep shit and by shit I mean in crisis . It's one of those episodes again , the day had been fine so far and then I just get into bed and chest and back just started .I'll be fine though .

I've been trying to get placement for my internship and that has been a handful or bucketfull if I may add , but it is going on well. Expect some good news soon.
I hope I'm fit enough to share the struggles of getting a nursing internship placement soon.

Thank you everyone and good night

3 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 10:40am On Dec 10, 2021
Good morning All.

The last one month has been hectic so I'll start from the very begining. November came with the good news I had been waiting for after my induction (5 month ago). I was asked to pick up my appointment letter at FEDERAL TEACHING HOSPITAL IDO EKITI, ÈKÌTÌ STATE. Happy would be an understatement of how I felt that afternoon after I got the call, i was giddy with excitement, I was so happy and grateful to God but little did I know the mental and physical stress I was about to face.
I travelled the next day to Èkìtì in order to begin medical fitness tests so I can resume work asap( against my sister's advice who asked me to wait so that she could get me my drugs and other necessary things).
I arrived late in Ekiti , so I started the clearance the next day. We were to do a range of test including Chest X-ray, HIV screening, Hepatitis, FBC, genotype and blood group, urinalysis and fecal microscopy.
You don't get to do all the test in one place so you walk around a lot and that's where the stress started.
Then the results started coming out and I got scared �, there was blood in my urine, sepsis in my blood, PCV at 17% and WBC count at 17×10^9 . The thing is if you're not cleared medically you can't continue with the rest of the clearance not to talk of starting work. The first thing doc did was shake his head and he's said "these results are not good". {Ha, egbami ,i know it wasn't good but oga I don dey find this placement for 5 months o, no do me like this abeg (I said all that in my mind but water don dey comot for my eye small small sha)}. he asked basic questions and then took me to the Consultant of the unit. Thankfully, the Consultant was conversant with SICKLE CELL cases so he asked what my stable PCV was (usually around 19%), what drugs I have been taking, etc. then he placed me on Antibiotics (Augmentin) for 7 days and then retake the FBC test. He was kind enough to clear me medically sha do I was able to complete clearance in 2 weeks.

Second Part coming up soon.
Stay tuned.
Peace ✌️✌️
stay tuned.

4 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by VictorIfe(m): 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2021
Congrats in advance funky
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Richkid2021(m): 8:44am On Dec 31, 2021
Fhunkhy1:
Let's share our daily life experiences and struggles with other people who have one or more misconceptions about us. Our strengths, weaknesses, ups, downs,social life and love life are not excluded.

If you are a judgemental,insultive or abusive person, we don't need you here kindly use the door � .

You're welcome if you have enough love to share.
������������������
I have good news for those living with sickle cell anemia do u know fafron stem cell herbal product can prolong , repair and replenish worn out tissue ? do u know u can have a hitch free month without going in and out of hospital for more testimony of how this product works check my signature for my Whatsap number and let me show u proof
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 4:36pm On Dec 31, 2021
Good afternoon fam.

Back to my story.

Before I knew it, it was 2 weeks already which meant it's time to retake the test , so I did and result came out with PCV as 15% .
I was shocked, i began to tremble because I knew that no doctor would see that and not transfuse such Patient.
I took the result to the doctor the following week, and just like I assumed, he really wanted to transfuse me which I declined after he counselled me. Seeing that he was out of option, he referred me to the HEAMATOLOGY CLINIC of the institution . I got to the clinic and i was informed that they run their clinics on Wednesdays but I had to have another PCV done on that Wednesday . So the following Wednesday, I did the test and went to the heama clinic.
Long story short , PCV result came out with 22% ,, I could almost not believe it, I was so elated ehn grin grin grin grin grin.
That's how I escaped blood transfusion yet again .
So , that clinic will continue to manage me and it's quite convenient because I work in the hospital.

----------------------

So the outgoing year started on a rough note for me but I survived through it all by the unending grace of the Almighty God.

Here's me wishing you the best of 2022.

Peace ✌️

2 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by tundeoladipo: 10:20am On Jan 01, 2022
I can tell you that there is a therapy that helps to control the effect of SC. And eventually sets you free from it. It does a lot of other corrections in the body. It's Called Double Stem Cell rejuvenation. You can contact me for more details.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 10:38am On Jan 01, 2022
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2022 FAM.

I am so excited about the new year and I hope you're too. I almost didn't go for crossover service last night but I changed my mind last minute. Been having hip pain since I returned from work yesterday but that's not enough to stop me.

I'm glad to have you all here with me this new and I pray we do great exploits together.

And Yes it's my birth month so let the countdown to January 31st begin. I really hope this years birthday won't be like the last.

grin angry grin grin grin

Thank you for staying with me guys.

Peace ✌️

4 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Richkid2021(m): 3:17pm On Jan 01, 2022
Fhunkhy1:
Here's a little information about me.

You can call me Abiola. I'm a Nursing student of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. I'm 23 years old and I'm a known SCD patient. I'm from a nuclear family and I have tWo siblings. I'm the only one with SCD. My parents aren't rich but I've survived thus far.

Word of encouragement for today.

#If you're not yet dead, then Don't stop living#.

Peace.
for those suffering from SCD I have good news for you chat me up check my signature for my number
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 1:37am On Jan 13, 2022
I want to talk about a lot of things ranging from the relationship between sickle cell and peptic ulcers to how to handle unsolicited advices from total strangers.
Meanwhile I want you to share you personal experience with people and their unsolicited advices.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by yunqdady: 5:41pm On Jan 14, 2022
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 8:38pm On Jan 19, 2022
Please reach out to me through mail or my phone number. I think it may be better to respond to that there.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 8:39pm On Jan 19, 2022
yunqdady:

Congratulations.
You are strong.
Please, did you apply through an advert for Ido? Also, what conhess are Intern nurses placed on?
Please reach out to me through mail or my phone number. I think it may be better to respond to that there.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 8:40pm On Jan 19, 2022
[
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 5:33pm On Jan 29, 2022
Hi NairaFam,
Good evening to you all. How have you been. I've been good �.
Most of the time i decline invites to sleep over in people house especially if such person is not a relative or a close friend who know my health condition. I don't honour sich invites because you never know when a crisis will creep in, AND there's no way to know if the next crisis is going to be a major one. So I always refuse..
Last week i got bored at my work and i was off for 4 days so i decided to travel and called a friend that i was going to sleep over. They were excited coz i had always declined visiting.
So i got there, and on the very first night , the evil i had been hoping would stay away crept in...
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Then I silently went in, took PCM and told my host that I was taking it for an headache.
But the pain won't just go, and my observant host noticed something was wrong . I laters had to confess when the pains it got quite unbearable..
The thing i wanted to keep away brought itself to limelight and i couldn't help it,, I was so ashamed that night.
I still feel ashamed as I write this now.
But there really are some things you don't have complete control over.

*SIGH* ��

On a lighter note, it's my birthday in two days, last year was really bad as i spent the whole day crying about God knows what.
I really want this year to be different though. Well, it's going to be different coz I'm on duty that morning and that spells that I'm going to be busy.
This Year I WON'T CRY for any silly reason.
This Year I WILL BE HAPPY.

Have a great weekend.
Peace ✌️

3 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2022
Hi.
So one thing I'm grateful for this year when it came to my birthday was that I was on duty that morning and i got home quite late in the afternoon so i didn't even have time to think about how i wanted my life to be or how horrible I am , or how lonely I am. And I think I'll just hope that the next birthday will meet me in a busy atmosphere as well.
It was as uneventful as last year but this year was different because I didn't have any expectations from people not to talk of raising those expectations.
I now think that's a really good way to live life.
HAVE NO EXPECTATIONS FROM PEOPLE AND YOU WON'T BE LET DOWN.

SO YES , I'M 26 and I'm happy �.

Peace ✌️

3 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by VictorIfe(m): 10:50am On Feb 15, 2022
birthday blessings in arrears funky

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 11:13pm On Feb 19, 2022
The crisis I had this week was like i had felt nothing like it before.
IT WAS INTENSE
I know I should start this story from the very beginning but the situation I found myself in before that crisis began is still something I'm really ashamed of. So please bear with me.
I traveled on Monday in great health and got to my destination in status quo. Around 8pm the heat was pretty much and I had taken a long walk so I took a cold bath and went to retire from the night. And two and half hours later (my eyes had seen very awful and mentally disturbing things between 8pm and 10:30pm) it started.
It started from my right knee,, I endured it for a while before taking the only Diclofenac tab I was lucky to find in my handbag.
Rather than experience a relief of the pain,, it skyrocketed by 3 folds and spread to my back and chest and waist .. That was when I knew that night was going to be a nightmare.
In few minutes I started to groan and grunt and wince in severe pain,, they drug was yet to kick in and I didn't even have another so I just had to wait. I waited for an hour and then 2,, still no change..
Then I joined hallelujah challenge on YouTube,, it ended 1am, and I was still in serious pains. Then I moved to WhatsApp and other apps for distraction. I finally was able to sleep around past 2am and I woke up around 5am with more pain in my back..
I wasn't in my comfort zone that night so I left for my place early in the morning . Got home on Monday and got infused with 1L of NS which helped a little wit the pain. Took an injection that night as well.
Wednesday morning still come with the pain but a bit fair,, took additional 500mls of infusion and more injections.

I was finally free of the pain by Thursday afternoon. This one episode robbed me of a weeks work, robbed me of being productive, robbed me of time and everything else i could have gotten done.
I didn't tell my parents about the whole episode until today and they are still very worried

The thing about sickle cell crisis is that each episode is never like the last one.
You never know the episode that will get you hospitalized.
You never know whether It's going to last for an hour or two or three or for a whole day,or for a whole week.
You never know when it's going to happen or where it will meet you.
You just never know...

Peace ✌️✌️

2 Likes

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 3:52pm On Jun 06, 2022
And again I left y'all for months.
Emabinu
I'm sorry.
Work has been overwhelming.
And right now we're at it again, yunno the usual crisis.
I don't want to go into details.
I don't have the energy but it feels like it's going to be a brutal episode so let me go and brace myself.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Peace ✌️

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 06, 2022
Fhunkhy1:
And again I left y'all for months.
Emabinu
I'm sorry.
Work has been overwhelming.
And right now we're at it again, yunno the usual crisis.
I don't want to go into details.
I don't have the energy but it feels like it's going to be a brutal episode so let me go and brace myself.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Peace ✌️

i wish you good health dear

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 10:48pm On Jun 06, 2022
sweetcoral:

i wish you good health dear

Thank you. I've just experienced a bit of relief3
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 9:33pm On Jul 09, 2022
�️�️�️�️�️�️�️�️
It's a sad time in the sickle cell community as we lose another loved one to the cold hand of death.
Every loss is painful but this one, this one feels like my heart was ripped ooen and broken �.
She was a good friend, a lovely person, a sickle cell advocate (the type that never stops talking and educating people), she was a fighter, a vibrant warrior with a heart of gold.
A priceless human being.
A Lady with balls.

That's the gem sickle cell stole from us this time, the gem it stole from me.
I was first in denial, then the tears started coming.

I love you my friend,
I'll miss you
You'll forever be in our hearts.
Rest on Pharm Fadeelat ��

1 Like

Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Sayelabola(m): 9:49am On Aug 13, 2022
drehdinho:

There is herbal remedy for sickle cell...and it's within my reach.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Sayelabola(m): 9:56am On Aug 13, 2022
Fhunkhy1:
Here's a little information about me.

You can call me Abiola. I'm a Nursing student of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. I'm 23 years old and I'm a known SCD patient. I'm from a nuclear family and I have tWo siblings. I'm the only one with SCD. My parents aren't rich but I've survived thus far.

Word of encouragement for today.

#If you're not yet dead, then Don't stop living#.

Peace.

Herbal remedy for those living sickle cell with crisis.

You may reach me on 08060737971. Stay safe.
Re: LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease). by Fhunkhy1(f): 7:30am On Sep 18, 2022
*Health Tip*

Avoid putting your bare foot on tiles or cemented grounds for a long time

Most of your nerve endings are found under your feet.

When it gets in contact with prolong coldness,it diminishes blood supply and reduces nutrients and oxygen supply.

The reason why the white have bathroom sandals and bedroom sandals is for a good reason.

Today, lot of people have all kinds of arthritis because of this.

Modernization comes with it's associated health challenges.

Therefore, move with time.

GOOD MORNING

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bird Flu: Lagos Begins Decontamination Of Markets (Pictures) / Does Andrews Liver Salt Really Prevent Unwanted Pregnancy / Nigeria Has More HIV--infected Babies Than Anywhere In The World - Sciencemag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.