Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,349 members, 7,808,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ (7047 Views)

How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA / Ayu dares Wike: Nobody Will Sack Me As PDP Chairman / Usman Yusuf: 'Only Buhari Can Sack Me' - NHIS Boss Resumes Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by AK481(m): 8:52pm On Mar 09, 2019
https://www.aproko247.com/2018/10/04/how-wazobia-fm-was-pressured-to-sack-me-diplomatic-opj/

According to the Delta State-born On-Air Personality (OAP), he decided to leave the station because of his critical views on happenings in the country at the moment.

He accused the present government of President Muhammadu Buhari and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) of being against any form of criticism.

According to a statement issued by him, some top government officials even went as far as asking his employers to sack him because of his views on radio, a thing he said the past administration of Goodluck Jonathan never did.

“I, Opute Pius Junior popularly known as Diplomatic OPJ, hereby use this medium to officially announce to the public and our teeming fans that I and my radio team comprising Fisayo, Najite, and Vanessa are no longer with Wazobia FM or with any other sister station under AIM Group.

“It has been a wonderful and very interesting 10 years’ experience with Wazobia FM, Lagos.

ALSO READ Ekiti PDP Publicity Secretary, Kola Oluwawole, Resigns
“For avoidance of undue speculations and suspicions, I chose to state reasons for my exit here.

“It should be kindly noted that my employers ordinarily wouldn’t have let me go but was pressured to pressure me to ask for the termination of my employment. It should also be known that I am not in the list of bought-over journalists and was never known to receive brown envelopes from politicians to sing their praises.

“There are many things to say but let me point out my suspected offences in a repressive system.

I never said what all Nigerian politicians but very few wanted to hear.
I refused to be biased and partisan in my stand point in my critical analysis of political affairs and anti-people government policies that never bettered the lives of the Nigerian people.
“I want to say here that I’ve never been inciting in my presentation on radio and I haven’t been fined by the Nigeria Broadcasting Commission (NBC) for breaching the broadcasting code but a few warning letters had been received which is normal anyway.

ALSO READ Wazobia FM’s Yaw Loses Dad, 88, To Death
“It should be reckoned that with my many years of practical experience in broadcasting from FRCN, I should be able to perform my duty within the ambit of the Nigeria broadcasting code and Freedom of Information bill.

“It should also be noted that while the previous administration absorbed criticisms from the media and majorly from the opposition parties including the now ruling APC government, this regime is not tolerant of criticism.

“I am also of the feeling that my management feared that the bulldozers that demolished a part of Ayefele’s music house in Ibadan may soon come for WAZOBIA FM in Lagos and so without consultation or notice, the management decided to send me on a three-month compulsory leave to commence on September 1 to December 1, 2018. Lo and behold, I rejected the unsolicited three-month compulsory leave especially when I realized that the same management never granted me such a long stay off work when my wife passed on two years ago and requested the management to terminate my employment and pay me off without further delay.

ALSO READ Elechi Swears-In 2 Commissioners
“Sequel to my demand, my employment was reluctantly terminated three weeks after and now I am free to take up employment elsewhere.

“No doubt, it was 10 years of productive and meritorious service to WAZOBIA FM.

“Finally, I would like to relay my sincere appreciation to my programme crew members; Fisayo (Fissy Dollars), Najite (Jite Ruppies), Vanessa (Vanny Bloom), Hypeman David (Davizy) and the Reggae Everywhere duo – B’Clean (Stay Clean No Dirtiness) and Black Simeon for your courage and solidarity with me.

“On behalf of all ex Evening Oyoyo Crew I want to thank our faithful radio audience for the followership and for the unflinching love.

“I also want to assure you all that by God’s grace, Insha Allah, we will be together again on radio. We love you endlessly,” the statement read.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by playcharles(m): 8:57pm On Mar 09, 2019
For real

2 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by AK481(m): 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2019
lalasticala... you will not see this thread that is talking about buhari intolerance to the media na,

lalasticala do something.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by OKorowanta: 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2019
Respect your employers,una no go hear,now you dey lament.
you are not suppose to take sides on radio except its a station set up for activism were activists can air their views.
For years i have listened to BBC radio and other international stations and you hardly notice were their allegiance is.
NBC alone will be upset if you're not diplomatic when on air.
Just do your work,take salary and go home and resume the next day
Na so e suppose be.

9 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by udemzyudex(m): 8:59pm On Mar 09, 2019
playcharles:
For real

I knew it, I saw this coming cos he was always against the government and their wrong doing.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by udemzyudex(m): 9:00pm On Mar 09, 2019
OKorowanta:
respect your employers,una no go hear.

Did you even bother to read the post or you just want to display ignorance?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by joncom(m): 9:08pm On Mar 09, 2019
Miss u

1 Like

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by baralatie(m): 9:13pm On Mar 09, 2019
na wa o! just like that
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by OKorowanta: 9:13pm On Mar 09, 2019
udemzyudex:

Did you even bother to read the post or you just want to display ignorance?

Why not read and leave your comment?
Go kack wia contain you.

4 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by udemzyudex(m): 9:16pm On Mar 09, 2019
OKorowanta:

Why not read and leave your comment?
Go kack wia contain you.

No vex, I don't forget say some people get comprehension problem, no be all they reason well.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by Skyfornia(m): 9:25pm On Mar 09, 2019
This guy is always bold...but sometimes him dey overdo himself. He should learn from this..

Another guy I respect is N6oflife of cool fm...fearless and intelligent guy.

Last but not the least is Murphy Ijemba of Max fm...this dude is the most underrated OAP in Lagos.

8 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by tribalistseun: 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2019
Unbelievable so no more evening oyoyo for lagosians. this buhari government is a devil conglomerate

1 Like

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by kristen12(f): 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2019
Wow... This is baddd.
I just knew something was wrong with evening oyoyo. Cool/Wazobia have lost all their good OAPs.
And have lost good listeners too.
You guys deserve a dumbass like freeze.

Which kind of dumb move is this one? Diplomatic OPJ and Tobi aka twi twi were one of the BEST. Immediately it was 6 my radio was tuned to wazobia FM.

Buhari's regieme is just full of intimidation and backwardness.

Rubbish!!!

4 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by Naija4love(m): 9:32pm On Mar 09, 2019
grin grin naija government have pay big for social network like that long time.... Baba no be today this start.. You have been added to the black list. You're welcome to join felakuti family that why u no see femi, seun on social networks like that and they are doing good year by year. Others country talk about femi, seun music plus ��France... But naija no tongue tongue tongue
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by kernel001: 9:40pm On Mar 09, 2019
OKorowanta:
you are not suppose to take sides on radio except its a station set for activism were activists can air their views.
For years i have listened to BBC radio and other international stations and you hardly notice were their allegiance is.
Na so e suppose be.

You're a big Chame to a decent society. He doesn't have a right to be critical if he feels disenfranchised, right?

No light
No road
Poverty
Insurgency

With all these you want him to praise the government of the day, right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by OKorowanta: 10:02pm On Mar 09, 2019
kernel001:

You're a big Chame to a decent society. He doesn't have a right to be critical if he feels disenfranchised, right?

No light
No road
Poverty
Insurgency

With all these you want him to praise the government of the day, right?

You know nothing about radio.
You just dey yarn rubbish!
You don't av to praise the government and you don't av to go all critical except say you want to be in charge of your own salary.
You can talk about epileptic power supply,insurgency and others by not insulting.
NBC frowns at that.
The owners of the stations are in the business to make profit not enemies.
NBC some days ago listed some stations they fined half a million each for not adhering to laid down laws over the on going elections.
They talked themselves into fine.
So guy No be to carry dey talk.

6 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by tollyboy5(m): 12:05am On Mar 10, 2019
OKorowanta:

You don't av to praise the government and you don't av to go all critical except say you want to be in charge of your own salary.
You can talk about epileptic power supply,insurgency and others by not insulting.
NBC frowns at that.
NBC some days ago listed some stations they fined half a million each for not adhering to laid down laws over the on going elections.
with this ur statement you know all about radio? undecided intimidation is replacing court judgement. So freedom of speech is making enemies? Just say youre APC party man/ loyalist instead of derailing thread for normal people

2 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by OKorowanta: 12:19am On Mar 10, 2019
tollyboy5:
with this ur statement you know all about radio? undecided intimidation is replacing court judgement. So freedom of speech is making enemies? Just say youre APC party man/ loyalist instead of derailing thread for normal people

I still insist you know nothing about the profession.
There is nothing like freedom of speech on radio.
Your speech is guided.
If there is,there won't be a regulatory body NBC.
I dey clear you you dey talk about APC and PDP.
Which stuupid APC and PDP!

7 Likes

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by IbrahimDamola: 12:19am On Mar 10, 2019
OKorowanta:

NBC frowns at that.

Olodo-general!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by mycar: 12:29am On Mar 10, 2019
HMM, too bad
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by GentleMoney: 12:54am On Mar 10, 2019
The 'fear factor' everywhere..
wow!
Hmm...
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by Charmingrascal(m): 2:02am On Mar 10, 2019
Which album did he release? We don't know him here in Costa Rica
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by IamPatriotic(m): 4:44am On Mar 10, 2019
Some of the OAPs easily get carried away by the hails they get from people who call into the presentation, I no longer listen to radio stations in Abuja, because any time I do it's barrage of insults from callers and most presenters condoned these callers at the expense of their jobs.
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by GrossPrice: 5:29am On Mar 10, 2019
OKorowanta:
you are not suppose to take sides on radio except its a station set for activism were activists can air their views.
[Redacted]

1 Like

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by tenderfigure: 5:39am On Mar 10, 2019
OKorowanta:

NBC frowns at that.

na wa o....baba u miss road ni?

1 Like

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by maddock(m): 7:11am On Mar 10, 2019
OKorowanta:

NBC frowns at that.

Spot on..You said it all no one said he shouldn't be critical but he must not use the platform for that. Cool FM like someone rightly said is in the business of making money and not enemies. The owners of Cool FM must have made it clear to him that they want to stay politically neutral. Now that he is without a job let him go to Raypower as least we all know they are a PDP radio station, but even at that we even rarely hear their presenters criticising the government. You only hear that from invited guest.

1 Like

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by Okoroawusa: 7:56am On Mar 10, 2019
I thought Evening oyoyo on Wazobia FM was an easy going, entertainment evening program? Its been long I listened to radio but when did OPJ start talking politics on it?

well, whatever...

1 Like

Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by Omololu2121: 8:05am On Mar 10, 2019
IbrahimDamola:

Olodo-general!
the guy is right
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by naijapips04: 8:09am On Mar 10, 2019
OKorowanta:
Na so e suppose be.

But NBC is never disturbing those praising Buhari ? Make una just continue. Naija Don turn north Korea.
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by baralatie(m): 8:16am On Mar 10, 2019
naijapips04:

But NBC is never disturbing those praising Buhari ? Make una just continue. Naija Don turn north Korea.
if chairman Kim catch you
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 10, 2019
The truth is that the radio station, owned by a Lebanese is there to make profits. When your speech is not guided as OAP, you bring lots of negativity and fines to the management. Opj may be good in what he does but he has loose mouth. When you have unguided utterances, and the station is fined, who get the blame and pay the fine? The management of course. The guy mouth is so loose that even on air, he abuse the owner and the management of the station if things are not going the way he wants. Yes, he may come from ajegunle, as a rugged fella, but at times, you need to balance some utterances especially when you are on live. He always over do and always take side on his comments, not even balanced analysis.
I know it will come to this level. He has been suspended severally while doing activist against his own management. It will be hard for him to get similar jobs in other stations because no other stations will allow loosed mouth to air for them. Its part of their ethics. I wish him well, may be he will go back to his DJ business.
Re: How Wazobia FM Was Pressured To Sack Me—diplomatic OPJ by AK481(m): 4:45pm On Mar 10, 2019
I can say that evening oyoyo during opj and twi twi was one of the richest radio programs in Nigeria.

They talk for 10 mins ,go commercial break for 30 mins, people loved the program and it was a vetmry fertile spot for advertisement.

Lalasticala see snake �

(1) (Reply)

Headline Inflation Increases to 11.98% In December 2019 / 2023: INEC Budgets ₦239bn For Poll Materials, Presidential Run-Off / NGX’s Growth: Nigerians Are Poorer Under Tinubu's Government – Ndubuisi Ekekwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.