Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,010 members, 7,803,358 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans (22057 Views)

TECNO Moves To 9th While Apple Slips To 4th In The List Of Top Smartphone Makers / 13 Cheapest Data Plans In Nigeria 2018 (MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9mobile) / Glo Increases Their Data Plans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:11am On Mar 11, 2019
Normally when it comes to cheap data plans I always tell people that Nigeria is one of the countries with the cheapest data plans in the world and I haven’t been too far from the truth. Take a look at at this graph from Statista.

Nigeria ranks 4th in the list of selected countries with the cheapest data plans.

While a gigabyte of data would set Italian smartphone users back $1.73, the same amount would cost $2.22 in Nigeria, $2.99 in France, $6.66 in the United Kingdom and $6.96 in Germany. Costs are even higher in North America where they average $12.02 in Canada and $12.38 in the United States.

So should we give our Network Providers some accolades for giving us the cheapest data plans in the world?

Nope. Definitely not worth a standing ovation especially if you check the fact that we have one of the slowest 4G speeds in the world.

Nigeria’s top 4G speed is placed between 9.5Mbps and 16.2Mbps, while Algeria’s slowest speed of 2.6Mbps is the worst in the world.

However here’s the plot twist, the country with the slowest 4G speed – Algeria’s top download speed of 16.4Mbps still beat the fastest speeds in Thailand (11.7Mbps), India (14.6Mbps) and Nigeria (16.2Mbps).

Now I feel they only deserve the accolades for constantly zapping our data. Nevertheless I feel ISP’s in Nigeria can definitely do better than this.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2019/03/countries-with-the-cheapest-data.html

22 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Dreyl(m): 7:22am On Mar 11, 2019
Nice �
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:29am On Mar 11, 2019
Kudos to our service provider!
They rarely disappoint.
ALWAYS on point.

Hey, we won't do free advert for you guys here, contact us for some endorsement.......

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Petersamuel8(m): 7:29am On Mar 11, 2019
Good for us
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Stepheency: 7:29am On Mar 11, 2019
Glo must have made that possible......

58 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by YorubaEmir: 7:29am On Mar 11, 2019
grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by iSage: 7:30am On Mar 11, 2019
Most of the people in European countries don't use Mobile data primarily, it's more of a substitute for Wi-Fi if somehow it's not available. WiFi is available almost everywhere--Schools, train stations, hospitals, restaurants... Just name it. Mobile network is allbeit useless for them.

Talking about the economy, an average man in France will remove 5 dollars with ease compared to an average Nigerian.

121 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by freeman4ever(m): 7:30am On Mar 11, 2019
f
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by LordAdam16: 7:30am On Mar 11, 2019
I see some commenters putting it down to speed. And while that is a valid concern, there are two other factors in play:

1. Unlike in Nigeria, mobile broadband is not the primary way much of the developed world access the Internet. As any diasporan Nigerian in the Western hemisphere would confirm, broadband (whether wireless or wired) is fixed and connected directly to a user's home. The user then uses a Wi-Fi router to share the connection with all of their devices, from smartphones to IoT devices (smart appliances and the likes).

Fixed broadband allows for insanely fast and relatively cheap internet. This explains why on your phone you'd notice your OS/Manufacturer/Developer notifying you to use Wi-Fi for large OS and file downloads. This is because the infrastructure for fixed broadband is more capable of dealing with immense bandwidth demand than that for mobile broadband (which we are familiar with in Nigeria).

It also explains why they can get unlimited internet with gigabit speeds for less than 100 pops per month on fixed broadband, but most mobile broadband plans have capped plans with much higher costs. And why telephone and cable fixed broadband is often bundled with telephone/cable service, while mobile broadband is bundled with text/calls/internet subscriptions.

2. Relative cost of living. Nigeria's current minimum wage is $50 per month. That's not up to the daily [8 (9am-5pm) hours] minimum wage in much of the Western world.

______

Now the important question is can there be fixed broadband in Nigeria? There are some firms in Nigeria trying to make it happen, but I do not think it is feasible in much of the country. Maybe in affluent neighborhoods of some of the economic powerhouses--Abuja, Lagos, PH. But the economics of scale does not favor piecemeal roll out.

The primary reason is not cost, but security. In one word, vandalism. With the high level of unemployment and sh*t policing, good luck to the company that decides to install the expensive equipment to connect millions of homes. The quoted insurance premium will certainly make any such company take a closer look at their business plan.

Funny enough there are some African countries with widespread fixed broadband, even in West Africa as some diasporans living in African countries will confirm.

Bottom line, the chart does not paint a true picture of the state of Internet cost in the world.

Fun fact: This is also the reason why we have satellite tv providers in Nigeria and no cable tv providers.

-Lord

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by aywhy93(m): 7:30am On Mar 11, 2019
As a matter of fact, I'll praise our Service Providers in Nigeria. Nigeria as a whole have so many challenges affecting those ISPs and they still manage to give us amazing data value even though it's slow in some locations. But what I notice is, all network have their superb speed, depending on location.

Presently, I just moved to a new area and the first thing I did as usual was Internet speed test for all the network. After that, I immediately settled for Glo. As much as people complain about Glo, I'm enjoying the network flawlessly in my location, the data is cheap, the speed is awesome. I haven't gone to the viewing center to watch any football match this year. I stream everything on my PC. Arsenal 2 - 0 Man Utd yesterday was streamed A-Z in HD, even those with DSTV missed some of the action cuz of the heavy rainfall.

So, just find the network that's best for you and your location. Data is cheap in Nigeria, Data is Life. Salute to GLO!!!

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Csami(m): 7:30am On Mar 11, 2019
Please please please, don't encourage this stupidity! Is it also known that the data service providers and snails are in a slow competition?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by flemsy15(m): 7:31am On Mar 11, 2019
if I dey Switzerland Na Nokia torch I go dey use unless say better money dey,, God punish d devil

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by seunfly: 7:32am On Mar 11, 2019
Stepheency:

You get it right, I believe glo forced them to do that even though glo seems useless atleast they make other isp to sit tight. Left to mtn, Nigeria would have been at the top of the most expensive data.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by josephobaro(m): 7:32am On Mar 11, 2019
Na poor exchange rate cause am

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Speedyconnect15: 7:32am On Mar 11, 2019
This post shows you have no smattering of economics.
I am shocked because this is elementary .

A bottle of water in Urbana Champaign in the US sells for 1000 naira. Same sells for 200 max here!

Average haircut in NY is about 10k naira!

Same in Nigeria is 200-1000 naira.

Do you now say it's cheaper here?

No! Because money is made there and spent there. The worth of money is in what it can buy!

It's your type that will ask CBN to print money and share so that Nigerians will be rich!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by fr3do(m): 7:32am On Mar 11, 2019
how about the standard of living and the GDP?
what a Nigerian earns in an hour is far less than what a Swiss earns in an hour.

you must put that in perspective.

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 11, 2019
Stepheency:

Please don't mention GLO in this place. That rubbish network. All they do is give you plenty useless data that you can never use angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by demsid(m): 7:33am On Mar 11, 2019
If not fir glo, all these wouldn't have been possible. Both the cheapness and the slow speed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by ayd91(m): 7:33am On Mar 11, 2019
How true is this?
Considering we have no truly unlimited plan.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by GentleMoney: 7:33am On Mar 11, 2019
Hmmm...
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by demsid(m): 7:33am On Mar 11, 2019
Dareal90s:
So ppl still pay to browse, when me have been browsing unlimitedly since January! Chaii.
dem go soon catch u
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by ybalogs(m): 7:33am On Mar 11, 2019
Statista ti ya mad.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Pavore9: 7:34am On Mar 11, 2019
Hmm...

For Airtel Kenya's UnlimiNET 1000 Monthly Plan, With 1,000ksh (N3,600) Subscribers get 6GB+400Min (to all networks) +2000SMS, FREE Whatsapp,Facebook up to 100MB

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by dehi: 7:34am On Mar 11, 2019
They don't know
Our 1gb is like 200mb
Nigeria is just too funny

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Jones363: 7:34am On Mar 11, 2019
Iphone 7plus now available for sale at a give away price 90k call / WhatsApp 07069469596
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:34am On Mar 11, 2019
cry If we hear Telecom providers having a board meeting to address this issue make una no panic O.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by pseudonomer: 7:34am On Mar 11, 2019
This is my Internet speed in Germany as of this morning...

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Jorussia(m): 7:35am On Mar 11, 2019
MTN offers 1gb for #500($1.50) for pulse subscribers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garmin Nigeria Topographical And Street Maps / Differences Between GSM Network And CDMA Network. / What Is Your Favorite Mobile Phone Game ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.