Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers (446 Views)

The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna / Of Herdsmen & The Ranching Option / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers by engrfcuksmtin(m): 4:10pm On Mar 13, 2019
I witnessed a court session late 2018 in which a farmer was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment due to injury he inflicted on a Fulani man that was alledged had been grazing animals on the farmers' cassava and yam farm. The judge's hand were tied by the law.
Since January 2019, I have been experiencing herdsmen wahala in one of the farms I consult for. They started with cassava, moved to oil palm and then pineapple, multi-million naira investment!. All efforts to apprehend them failed, we visited their settlement but they requested for evidence (I must catch the culprit in the act) before they can act.
As providence would have it, I held a meeting today with the staff of the farm on security lapses and requested a tour around the farm during which we met three herdsmen grazing in our oil palm farm. We made a video of them and took photographs.
Since we out numbered them, they were over powered and taking to NSCDC. They gave fake identity, address and claimed that they were just going on the main road and we bundled them in the car. Thank God we made videos, everything would have turned on us. We laid appropriate claims and settled out of court.
In my interaction with the law enforcement personnel, existing laws favours herdsmen than farmers, smallholder farmers are suffering in silence from menace of unruly herdsmen.
Nigerians need to stand and cry out for the poor smallholder farmers who have lost thier voice and hope of being saved from herdsmen invasion. Unruly Fulani herdsmen are threat to economic and Agricultural development. They constitute a major obstacle to food sufficiency in Nigeria.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers by jethro2: 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2019
engrfcuksmtin:
I witnessed a court session late 2018 in which a farmer was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment due to injury he inflicted on a Fulani man that was alledged had been grazing animals on the farmers' cassava and yam farm. The judge's hand were tied by the law.
Since January 2019, I have been experiencing herdsmen wahala in one of the farms I consult for. They started with cassava, moved to oil palm and then pineapple, multi-million naira investment!. All efforts to apprehend them failed, we visited their settlement but they requested for evidence (I must catch the culprit in the act) before they can act.
As providence would have it, I held a meeting today with the staff of the farm on security lapses and requested a tour around the farm during which we met three herdsmen grazing in our oil palm farm. We made a video of them and took photographs.
Since we out numbered them, they were over powered and taking to NSCDC. They gave fake identity, address and claimed that they were just going on the main road and we bundled them in the car. Thank God we made videos, everything would have turned on us. We laid appropriate claims and settled out of court.
In my interaction with the law enforcement personnel, existing laws favours herdsmen than farmers, smallholder farmers are suffering in silence from menace of unruly herdsmen.
Nigerians need to stand and cry out for the poor smallholder farmers who have lost thier voice and hope of being saved from herdsmen invasion. Unruly Fulani herdsmen are threat to economic and Agricultural development. They constitute a major obstacle to food sufficiency in Nigeria.

Would have love to put this on my Facebook timeline. But what name do I put there as the writer?

None will take this serious with your monicker

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers by jjbest123(m): 6:21pm On Mar 13, 2019
jethro2:

Would have love to put this on my Facebook timeline. But what name do I put there as the writer?

NONE WILL TAKE THIS SERIOUS WITH YOUR MONICKER
The bolded got me laughing cheesy cheesy cheesy i just love your honesty

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers by engrfcuksmtin(m): 8:17pm On Mar 13, 2019
jethro2:

None will take this serious with your monicker

Babalola Temitope
The incidence happened in Kogi State.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen The Plight Of Nigerian Smallholder Farmers by engrfcuksmtin(m): 8:23pm On Mar 13, 2019
Still battling with the Fulani guys. Caught the main culprit this evening, he attacked our security with cutlass, thank God the security guy is a true African.
The guy is cooling off in the cell till tomorrow.
Fulani Herdsmen are threat to economic and national development.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do Sunflower Seeds Thresh? / Fertilizers - Organic Or Inorganic / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.