Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) (60682 Views)

Babawande Afolabi Launches Green Africa Airline, Acquires New Airplanes (Photos) / Two Airplanes Collide At Lagos Airport / FAAN Releases Lists Of Prohibited Items For Passengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Akalia(m): 7:17pm On Mar 17, 2019
Explorers:

Last resort how?

Did you read the parachuting is pre-planned?

They plan when, where, and how they jump before going airborne.

There is max speed/height when parachuting and this can only happen when a plane is in a good or normal working condition.

To have a plane where passenger can jump, there must be ramp at the back just like the military and cargo planes.

When there's emergency at about 30,000ft, then the crew will ask all passengers, over 200 to pick up their parachutes/gears including passengers with toddlers/babies, and the old.

After that, they will ask them to be on a single file and move to the rear end of the plane.

Then they start jumping, where's the landing sport? Ocean, Desert, Jungle, thousands of miles to civilization.

Think about rescue operation, picking up over 200 people scattered in the sea, desert or jungle.

Parachuting is not pre-planned in emergency situation involving military jets where the pilot(s) are ejected to safety from the aircraft.

The main concern here is for lives to be salvaged from an imminent air crash. so if an ejection mechanism just like the prototype someone shared up there can be perfected for commercial airplanes in the future , it will be revolutionary in the history of aviation safety and a welcome development.

So I think the practice of pre-planned parachuting is only applicable to sky diving.

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by JOMAX: 7:20pm On Mar 17, 2019
Daeylar:

So the pilots can go and die?
The person who designed this isn't nice. sad
not so, the pilot joins the passenger cabin before cockpit disconnection. System is fully automated and timed do all the captain does is set it off as in autopilot . Though this system must be independent of the planes operating system to prevent failure in deployment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by TourismMan(m): 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2019
GloryIsaac:
Basically, it's clear that parachute for each passenger won't happen, the reasons are too much as you've rightly explained.

I saw an explanatory video about a new type of plane that would be designed to have some sort of demarcation between the passenger cabin and the cockpit. It will be able to detach from the cockpit and the wings in an emergency situation and engage in a free fall for a little time before two very large parachutes are automatically deployed to give It balance and drastically reduce it's impact on the ground or water. Also it will have large floaters deployed below it that can land on the ground and on water.
But, the challenge with this plane is if there'll be strong maintenance on the hooks that will hold the body of the plane to the cockpit and its wings, and an avoidance of a situation where the hooks fail to detach from the cockpit and wings.

So what will be the fate of the pilots? OYO?
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by emmydee(m): 7:28pm On Mar 17, 2019
I suggest the Aircraft itself should be equipped with multiple Parachutes to enable it land gently in case of emergency!
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Fidelismaria: 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
Interesting read

Check my signature
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by tinny898(m): 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
GloryIsaac:
Basically, it's clear that parachute for each passenger won't happen, the reasons are too much as you've rightly explained.

I saw an explanatory video about a new type of plane that would be designed to have some sort of demarcation between the passenger cabin and the cockpit. It will be able to detach from the cockpit and the wings in an emergency situation and engage in a free fall for a little time before two very large parachutes are automatically deployed to give It balance and drastically reduce it's impact on the ground or water. Also it will have large floaters deployed below it that can land on the ground and on water.
But, the challenge with this plane is if there'll be strong maintenance on the hooks that will hold the body of the plane to the cockpit and its wings, and an avoidance of a situation where the hooks fail to detach from the cockpit and wings.

Wawuuuu so the pilots are destined to die
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by midnighter(f): 7:31pm On Mar 17, 2019
Edmaths:

What of landing in game reserves where there are lions, tigers, hyenas, crocodiles, etc?

Mosesm:

You can’t be serious. Compare to landing in the ocean or seas with sharks, octopus, crocodiles � etc to play with your legs and JT grin grin grin

lol you people want me to cry sad

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by midnighter(f): 7:33pm On Mar 17, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Hehehegrin You go think say na real sef... Reason why I am suggesting something that can help reduce the speed of the plane when crashing instead of individual parachutes ..

Yeah it wasnt a nice dream. But at least i landed in somebodys farm at the end lol.

Yeah youre right. If we could just reduce the speed (and so force) of the impact it could improve chances of survival a lot
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 17, 2019
dannybrasky:
Someday! Someday!!
I thought about this too. parachutes can be attached to the segment that carry passengers. individual parachuting is too dangerous
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by babzo(m): 7:40pm On Mar 17, 2019
Explorers:
Skydives are pre-planned.

An important thing to remember about skydiving is that it occurs under perfectly normal conditions.

Since the jumps are pre-planned, the skydiver knows well in advance that they are going to jump out of a moving airplane.

In contrast, passengers onboard airplanes would never know in advance that they might have to take the leap in the next few minutes.

Skydives are extensively planned and prepared for in advance.

In essence, what you have on a commercial plane are people who have never used or seen a parachute in their lives, but have to strap on the gear effectively in only a minute or two and prepare to jump.

They also have to do all this while wearing their emergency oxygen masks (we haven’t even factored in the environment of confusion and commotion that would rock the cabin in such an emergency situation where 200 passengers needs to jump in less than 2minutes).

Let's us imagine a situation where the plane is nose diving.

Preplanned? We are talking about emergency escape...not sky diving
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by musicwriter(m): 7:41pm On Mar 17, 2019
Parachute should be build into the airplane itself. If those robots could go to mars and have a safe landing, there's no reason we should still be talking about plane crash here on earth. An airplane should be a giant flying parachute. Unfortunately, the manufacturers are more interested in profit instead of safety.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 17, 2019
eedrees:

In this case , is the pilot safe??
pilot section will also carry parachutes.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 17, 2019
Budex40:

Problem is, when u change the pressure suddenly. It can lead to heamorrage. Alot of medical complications can occur. Remember the pressure @ hight altitude is different from pressure @lower altitude and even on the ground
the problem can be solved
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 17, 2019
Daeylar:

So the pilots can go and die?
The person who designed this isn't nice. sad

TourismMan:

So what will be the fate of the pilots? OYO?

tinny898:

Wawuuuu so the pilots are destined to die

Wow, I'm going to modify the comment because this question has popped up multiple times and my response has been that the pilots will evacuate the cockpit before detachment.
The aim is to record no loss of life,and that includes that of the pilots.

2 Likes

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by showafrica(m): 7:52pm On Mar 17, 2019
Let then build one big parachute for the whole bus only the pilot can deploy simple.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by DavSagacity(m): 7:53pm On Mar 17, 2019
Smily202:

What about the pilot?
They can have parachute in the cockpit during emergency after detaching the corkpit from the cabin
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by SamPeeLamen(m): 7:56pm On Mar 17, 2019
Airlines provide food/drinks, have they ever taught anyone how to eat/drink? Point is, provide the damn paraFUCKINGchutes, we'll learn how to use em'.

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by papaejima1: 8:00pm On Mar 17, 2019
Explorers:

Last resort how?

Did you read the parachuting is pre-planned?

They plan when, where, and how they jump before going airborne.

There is max speed/height when parachuting and this can only happen when a plane is in a good or normal working condition.

To have a plane where passenger can jump, there must be ramp at the back just like the military and cargo planes.

When there's emergency at about 30,000ft, then the crew will ask all passengers, over 200 to pick up their parachutes/gears including passengers with toddlers/babies, and the old.

After that, they will ask them to be on a single file and move to the rear end of the plane.

Then they start jumping, where's the landing sport? Ocean, Desert, Jungle, thousands of miles to civilization.

Think about rescue operation, picking up over 200 people scattered in the sea, desert or jungle.

There's nothing too difficult implementing a parachute system within commercial airlines. All these excuses you hear are just what they are, excuses! And it all boils down to economy.

Now let me explain.
Every aircraft seat is already a flotation device in case of a crash into the sea. In the event of an emergency, oxygen masks automatically drop for passengers to use too. Now, to get this system to work, a parachute is installed at the bottom of the seat complete with altimeter, a beacon and barometer which automatically connect to a GPS satellite.

The plane has a cargo hold which can be modified to act as a slide ramp or escape chute.

When the emergency arises, the time passengers take to wear oxygen masks can also be used to strap on the extra shoulder harnesses that indirectly acts as seat belts. The floor is opened from within the craft to connect the cargo hold, and the external chute is opened. Each passenger slides into the hold and out the chute. The altimeter, barometer and beacon are automatically activated by the pilot from the cockpit before the evacuation.

The parachute deploys automatically at the right altitude based on GPS readings.

The passengers need not even know a thing about controlling it. They simply land safely, that's all that matters, then search and rescue home in on their beacons to locate them.

Even if they fall into the sea, the flotation devise still keeps them afloat until rescue comes.

This is just one scenario. I could give you more based on dedicated escape pods that can carry 10 persons apiece. The important thing isn't the cost, it is to save lives. The dead count no costs.

Also, the argument about height/altitude is nonsense. Aircrafts don't crash at 30,000 feet! They crash on the ground! Every aircraft must fall to a safe altitude for people to jump out before getting to the ground no matter how high it flies.

It is simple to offer it as an option, just like you do for first class and business class etc. Or A/C and Non A/C buses in road transport. Those who want can take such aircrafts, those who don't want can fly normal if they so desire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Daeylar(f): 8:01pm On Mar 17, 2019
This is much better, I just hope the pilots would be able to make it in time to the passenger cabin

JOMAX:

not so, the pilot joins the passenger cabin before cockpit disconnection. System is fully automated and timed do all the captain does is set it off as in autopilot . Though this system must be independent of the planes operating system to prevent failure in deployment

GloryIsaac:

Wow, I'm going to modify the comment because this question has popped up multiple times and my response has been that the pilots will evacuate the cockpit before detachment.
The aim is to record no loss of life,and that includes that of the pilots.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by cbaba: 8:02pm On Mar 17, 2019
nigeriancritic1:
Explorer did nothing. No reference on the write up except that he wrote it by heart. It is important we give credit to original writers, it is not easy to think.
I am the worst critic you can find or can find you!
I saw the reference
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 17, 2019
jaxxy:

This is what I have been talking about. It doesn’t have to be individual parachutes bt collective ones. To ur idea the whole fusage doesn’t have to be detached there cud be a safe zone or emergency unit(s) where everybody goes to when it apparent a crash or crash landing is inevitable and it detaches for the free fall..

If humans can go to space it shudnt be hard to achieve this now?

Individual parachutes are not viable at all, just like you said.
It's best that the passenger cabin is made the safe zone, because making some other portion the safe zone will be counter-productive as passengers will cause a lot of problems in such a panic situation, there would be pushing, stampede, confusion etc. just to get to the safe zone.
But if the passenger cabin is made the safe zone, they'll only be required to wear their oxygen masks, put on their seat belts and wait for landing impact. Some people can even die from just panicking, so it's best that they are safe where they're seated.

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by kaylo31(m): 8:04pm On Mar 17, 2019
If you carefully read the post you will see that op mentioned weight of parachutes and cost implications. Wether whole plane chute or individual chutes, there will be a weight problem as each airplane is designed with what we call MOTW (maximum take off weight). Carrying chutes will cover at least 50% of that weight, leaving the airplane to carry less than 50% weight of passengers it can carry. This will be operating at a loss for the airline which is not desirable. unless operators increase air fares significantly to cover for any losses. Increased air fare will reduce patronage and run the airlines out of business. Basically im saying that all things have been considered and more research is being done i believe.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by cbaba: 8:04pm On Mar 17, 2019
Pls tell me we were friends but I never noticed

I enjoy Me in other guys.

Let's hook up bro

papaejima1:

There's nothing too difficult implementing a parachute system within commercial airlines. All these excuses you hear are just what they are, excuses! And it all boils down to economy.

Now let me explain.
Every aircraft seat is already a flotation device in case of a crash into the sea. In the event of an emergency, oxygen masks automatically drop for passengers to use too. Now, to get this system to work, a parachute is installed at the bottom of the seat complete with altimeter, a beacon and barometer which automatically connect to a GPS satellite.

The plane has a cargo hold which can be modified to act as a slide ramp or escape chute.

When the emergency arises, the time passengers take to wear oxygen masks can also be used to strap on the extra shoulder harnesses that indirectly acts as seat belts. The floor is opened from within the craft to connect the cargo hold, and the external chute is opened. Each passenger slides into the hold and out the chute. The altimeter, barometer and beacon are automatically activated by the pilot from the cockpit before the evacuation.

The parachute deploys automatically at the right altitude based on GPS readings.

The passengers need not even know a thing about controlling it. They simply land safely, that's all that matters, then search and rescue home in on their beacons to locate them.

Even if they fall into the sea, the flotation devise still keeps them afloat until rescue comes.

This is just one scenario. I could give you more based on dedicated escape pods that can carry 10 persons apiece. The important thing isn't the cost, it is to save lives. The dead count no costs.

Also, the argument about height/altitude is nonsense. Aircrafts don't crash at 30,000 feet! They crash on the ground! Every aircraft must fall to a safe altitude for people to jump out before getting to the ground no matter how high it flies.

It is simple to offer it as an option, just like you do for first class and business class etc. Or A/C and Non A/C buses in road transport. Those who want can take such aircrafts, those who don't want can fly normal if they so desire.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:07pm On Mar 17, 2019
princfred:
What can do that if not a parachute? Or maybe a mine emergency engine in passengers capsule activated after dislodge.
wink
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 17, 2019
Daeylar:
This is much better, I just hope the pilots would be able to make it in time to the passenger cabin

That's definitely going to happen.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by jaxxy(m): 8:07pm On Mar 17, 2019
GloryIsaac:

Individual parachutes are not viable at all, just like you said.
It's best that the passenger cabin is made the safe zone, because making some other portion the safe zone will be counter-productive as passengers will cause a lot of problems in such a panic situation, there would be pushing, stampede, confusion etc. just to get to the safe zone.
But if the passenger cabin is made the safe zone, they'll only be required to wear their oxygen masks, put on their seat belts and wait for landing impact. Some people can even die from just panicking, so it's best that they are safe where they're seated.

I think I agree with u on this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 17, 2019
dingbang:
one was arguing with me on Instagram that it should be installed in commercial planes, and I am like, did you train them to use it? He kept on insisting it should be installed.. I just tire for the nigga

I wonder, it's easier said than done
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:14pm On Mar 17, 2019
midnighter:

Yeah it wasnt a nice dream. But at least i landed in somebodys farm at the end lol.

Yeah youre right. If we could just reduce the speed (and so force) of the impact it could improve chances of survival a lot
Taaaaa!!! I was thinking you landed on rocks, water or something...gringrin

True!!! I wish aviation technology experts would do something about it
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 17, 2019
kaylo31:
If you carefully read the post you will see that op mentioned weight of parachutes and cost implications. Wether whole plane chute or individual chutes, there will be a weight problem as each airplane is designed with what we call MOTW (maximum take off weight). Carrying chutes will cover at least 50% of that weight, leaving the airplane to carry less than 50% weight of passengers it can carry. This will be operating at a loss for the airline which is not desirable. unless operators increase air fares significantly to cover for any losses. Increased air fare will reduce patronage and run the airlines out of business. Basically im saying that all things have been considered and more research is being done i believe.

The one thing that is certain in such a situation is that the plane will meet the ground/sea.

How this happens is now up to us to choose, full crash which will kill everyone or glide crash which will save lives?.

At that point in the air, the only thing that can reduce the impact of landing is a parachute, nothing else. But, because of the numerous reasons as to why individual parachutes won't work, best is to use a collective method.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by papaejima1: 8:22pm On Mar 17, 2019
cbaba:
Pls tell me we were friends but I never noticed

I enjoy Me in other guys.

Let's hook up bro

Lol. I'm game bro.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by clems88(m): 8:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
Just what I was discussing with my co-worker today.
Its important to have parachute for all passenger , through this it will reduce casualties

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Checkout The Aerial View Of Lagos Island During The Day And Night (photos) / Food Aero Airline Served A Passenger While Travelling From Lagos-Port Harcourt / How People In Nigeria See Their Brothers Living Overseas (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.