Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

The Rise And Rise of the Voodoo Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Rise And Rise of the Voodoo Business (596 Views)

Elizabeth Holmes: Rise And Fall Of The World’s Youngest Female Billionaire / The Rise And Fall Of Online Retail In Nigeria / Akodessewa Fetish Market, Lome Togo: The World's Largest Voodoo Market (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Rise And Rise of the Voodoo Business by MakeItBiz: 3:30pm On Mar 18, 2019
While the efficacy of these items cannot be confirmed by MakeItGlobal, findings show that they are in high demand which is in contrast to the barrage of negative and disapproving comments posted online by seemingly disgusted social media users. This begs the question; who are those purchasing these spiritual products?

“This is a new business line I am launching on Facebook, okay? If you know you have a husband like Efehi Bright, husband that is very irresponsible, husband that disgraces in-laws, disgraces his wife, disgracing himself, disgracing his tribe, husband that does not have respect for women, husband that talks anyhow and you are really tired but you don’t want to leave that husband house. This is a fresh bottle I sell to lock husband. If you lock that kind husband inside here, anything wey you tell am, he go do. Know say I be that woman wey dey lock husband inside bottle and when you lock them inside bottle finish, you go dey shine”, a Nigerian woman identified as Monica Ambrose said in a video making rounds on social media platforms.

While it is uncertain that what the Netherlands based controversial married mother of three who became popular for declaring her 2019 Presidential ambition in 2017 with bad grammar said in the viral video was a joke or not, it is also imperative to note that the mystical items business is fast gaining grounds on social media.

Although, sales of these items have been in existence for long, it was a kind of business that is done secretly, mostly through referrals. Not enough people have had the courage to come out openly to advertise these products for the fear of being condemned or criticised by the public, given the religious nature of the country.

Social media has made it easy for brands and business owners to reach and interact with their existing and potential customers. The most used platforms are Facebook and Instagram due to their photo sharing nature. Therefore, it is not startling to come across sponsored posts and adverts of spiritual products. What might be shocking are the functions ascribed to these objects; “favour soap,” “Do as I Say ring,” “dollar making cream,” tie that man down soap,” “make him love you kolanut,” “let my business boom cream” and so on.

“I tell you modern day herbalists are now all-over social media. Everything is now online. The way they advertise juju without fear or shame these days, is scary. Don’t be surprised that some women are already looking for how to reach her whether she was joking or not”, an Instagram user, @wigsnweaves commented under Monica’s controversial video.

“Aunty, please don’t waste that groundnut bottle. Just know that fat men with big tummy won’t enter the bottle oooooo, so stop wasting your time, a Facebook user, Adepeju Ruth, commented on the eyebrow raising video.

A businesswoman who identified herself as Lizzy said that the business is not an illegal one and the sellers are not hurting anyone. “The hypocrisy in this country is alarming. These people are not forcing anyone to patronize them. Only God knows who is serving Him. Before the arrival of the missionaries, there was a religion we were practising. Even a part in the Bible asks us not to judge others”, she stated.

On the contrary, a civil servant, Bolarinwa is of the opinion that sales of spiritual products should be banned online. “There should be a serious clampdown on the social media pages that sell these products. It is becoming very appalling. How can you be selling items that is meant to get others to do your bidding or be under your control? It is harmful. It is not decent. It has to stop”, she added.

While the efficacy of these items cannot be confirmed by MakeItGlobal, findings show that they are in high demand which is in contrast to the barrage of negative and disapproving comments posted online by seemingly disgusted social media users. This begs the question; who are those purchasing these spiritual products?

To answer the question, MakeItGlobal was able to track two persons who testified to the potency of mystical products. Titilope(not real name), a herbal medicine vendor, said there’s more to life than it meets the eye.

“I look at people with pity when they downgrade traditionalism. Even the white people that brought religion into Nigeria, some of them still uphold their belief and values. Not everyone into traditional things is uneducated. Not everything traditional is evil or fetish. It is those evil people that are giving the rest a horrible name. Just believe me when I say you should not look down upon traditionalism, ogun wa o!”.

A gadgets vendor in Computer village, Chibuike(not real name), revealed that he had used traditional means to apprehend one of his thieving apprentices in 2017.

“Who think say juju no dey no dey alive na. It was ordinary water that an old man from my mother’s village that exposed an apprentice that has been ruining me little by little. He instructed me to sprinkle it in the shop with a clean mind and watch wonders. Truthfully, the culprit was so uncomfortable that he started saying ‘oga abeg I wan tell you something’. He told me how he has been stealing gadgets and reselling in Alaba where I wont be able to trace him”, he revealed.

When asked if he didn’t think it might not have been the affected person, he said “abeg no stress me. He took me to all the guys he usually sold them to and was apologizing endlessly. Even his parents could not defend him because them no the kind pikin wey them born. I just had to let him go due to intervention from elderly people. Of course, I fired him without any compensation. Make he go collect am from those guymen wey he dey steal my market give”, Chibuike added.

https://www.makeitglobal.biz/top-news/mystical-products-love-charm/

cc lalasticlala FOD puskin dominique naijacutiee

Re: The Rise And Rise of the Voodoo Business by LeFreakSoChic(f): 3:51pm On Mar 18, 2019
Where can i get the "do as i say"charm? i have some things to ask them at CBN grin grin tongue
Re: The Rise And Rise of the Voodoo Business by MakeItBiz: 10:18am On Mar 20, 2019
MODs please help push to FP. It is educative and entertaining

lalasticlala dominique puskin naijacutiee

(1) (Reply)

Paypal To Nigeria Bank Withdrawal Guide 2019 / Grow Your Paycentre Agent Banking Business With These Tips / 10 Ridiculous Expensive Things The Richest Man On Earth Owns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.