Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,597 members, 7,781,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 02:57 AM

How To Motivate Employees For Greater Productivity - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Motivate Employees For Greater Productivity (182 Views)

Hire A Reputable Outsourced SEO Company In Melbourne For Greater Efficiency / 12 Super Effective Ways To Motivate Your Team / Huawei Demoted Employees For Tweeting Happy New Year Wishes From An Iphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Motivate Employees For Greater Productivity by Uyi2017(m): 9:07pm On Mar 18, 2019
Ask any business owner and they will tell you that employee motivation is not an easy task. With the mirage of educational materials on the subject of Employee Motivation, one would have assumed that the concept has been dealt with, but the reverse is the case.

With this in mind, one begins to wonder the surest and simplest way to motivate employees to doing what you want them to do.

Traditionally, people have suggested the following approach for employees motivation:

Ask/Tell them: Now this is the common way to getting employees to do what you want them to do. But most times, this doesn’t work. You can ask an employee to carry out an assignment and you come back with the work undone, half done or done, but not to the way you instructed. At the end of the day, such obstinacy can hinder the growth of the organization.

Increase their take home package: Alright! Here is another one. And surprisingly, this is what most employees clamour for. In fact, it is an established truth that the primary reason humans work is to make money vis a vise, satisfy themselves.

But get this picture. Let’s say I have a dog that likes meat, and I want it to move. Commonsensically, what I will do is to give the dog the meat and that’s it. He rushed the meat and enjoys itself. But who is motivated, I or the dog? It’s not the dog that is motivated but me. The dog could have carried out the same assignment without the meat.

This analogy can be used to describe employer and employees relationship with regards to incentive. The more you keep giving out the bone,the more they keep demanding, considering the fact that human needs are insatiable. The moment you stop, the moment their enthusiasm to work drops. And that is not motivation.

Reduce their take home package: Don’t be surprised. Some group of people still holds tenaciously to this belief. If increasing the worker’s take home pay doesn’t do the magic, while not reduce it. But more often than not, this belief often builds up resentments and lackadaisical attitude to work.

Create an enabling environment: After the failure of the above listed, employers began to see humans as a socio-rational being and not a machine you can push around to do your biding. Some opined that the working environment of employee should be improved upon thereby creating a sense of comfort. Though this approach paid off when it started newly, it however lost its value on the long run. Today, you can give an employee a 5 star luxurious office space, but that will not sustain his motivation.  

So back to the question, How do you install a propeller into your workers to make them work efficiently and effectively (paraphrased)?

A medical scientist will tell you that different approach can be employed to treating a disease. This same principle is obtainable in getting your employees motivated. One approach should not be applied to all employees in getting them to be productive. It is in the place of the manager to decipher what propel an employee to greater productivity.

Outside the previous option listed, some employee get motivated when there is job enrichment. Job enrichment is the systematic manipulation of the factors that triggers motivation. It provides the opportunity for the employees to grow psychologically, thus adding value to the organization. It unifies the internal and external desires of the employees together.

The principle of job enrichment is the 21st century panacea for a nonchalant approach to work.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A $200 Worth Of Amazon Gift Card Asap! / Spent Grain Available In Port Harcourt / Deluxe Condos Offer Exquisite Living Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.