Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,407 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:58 PM

Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? (24918 Views)

Sexual Immorality Is Forbidden I / Osinachi's Husband Said She'll Leave Their Marriage In Death - Osinachi's Mum / Muslim Man And His Catholic Wife Bless Their Marriage In Church After 37 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by funken: 12:30pm On Mar 31, 2019
I don't think there is actually anywhere in the Bible that forbids cousins marrying. However, different cultures either encourages, condones or forbids it.

Science encourages you to marry someone outside your family to widen the gene pool to prevent genetically transmitted diseases.

The Jews (in present day Israel) actually still actively practice this. However, they have one of the highest prevailances of genetically transmitted diseases because of the narrowed gene pool - aka inbreeding.

Overall, I will not encourage it because of the probability of diseases showing up in your offspring that might have been a recessive gene in your family line ie it had not showed up in a few generations. Pls just save yourself the heartaches further down the line of your marriage. Just like they advice 2 pple with AS genotype not to marry, pls dont marry ur cousin - you will be playing a game of Russian Roulette (Google this)...

Shedrack777:
Hi everyone! To the subject above, I know some traditions forbids marriage between cousins. But does the Bible forbids it? If yes, back up your claim with scriptural references from the Bible. Thanks for your contribution
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by 22brains(m): 12:40pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
Hi everyone! To the subject above, I know some traditions forbids marriage between cousins. But does the Bible forbids it? If yes, back up your claim with scriptural references from the Bible. Thanks for your contribution
the world began with just ADAM and EVE. who did their children married? answer it and it answers your question.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by 22brains(m): 12:42pm On Mar 31, 2019
TVSA:
all the patriarch of Israel married their close relatives
ya... the world began with just ADAM and EVE. who did their children married? you're on point.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Viicfuntop(f): 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
The mods pls help me to move it to front page. I need more ideas and understanding

Why, are you in love with your cousin
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Viicfuntop(f): 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
The point I want/need to know is, where exactly did the Bible forbid cousins marriage. If it's not written at all in the Bible, then, it is legal

Please stop this unnecessary justification you are looking for. Isn’t it weird for you? Why would you want to sleep with someone you share the same grandparent with. Isn’t it weird for? Why on earth would you create a thread about this? You are not even a Muslim or an Asian. Please go find something to do with your life
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Viicfuntop(f): 12:57pm On Mar 31, 2019
lazarusokafor90:
This is to all you hypocrites saying "no, God forbid, I cannot have sex with my sister" bla bla bla. Well, sorry to bust your bubble, but all the other girls that you have been having sex with are your sisters. God only created one man and one woman, and we all descended from them (Have you ever thought about that). So it invariably means that we are all blood brothers and sisters if you want to tell yourselves the truth. (I stand to be corrected, with any otherwise stories).

So what’s your point? You want to sleep with your cousin
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Mosco100(m): 1:14pm On Mar 31, 2019
DavidEsq:
Leviticus 20:29 says: ‘You must not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister or your father’s sister, because that would be exposing a blood relative to shame. They should answer for their error". Taking instructions from this scripture, the underlying reason for this prohibited sexual relations is based on the close blood connection. Since ur cousin is the child of ur mother's/father's sister/brother, there is a clear cut close blood relations between u.
Taking the cue from Hebrews 5:14 which says: "But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment trained to distinguish both right and wrong", it goes without saying that, it is not every wrong that is written in black and white but thru use of our reasoning with the scriptures, we discover these wrongs a rights. So u shldn't marry ur cousin.
Can I marry my uncle's wife sister?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by lazarusokafor90(m): 1:21pm On Mar 31, 2019
dreamwords:

Then go and sleep with your sister and fuk your mothet, and leave us alone
Just think about it. There was a man and a woman, they gave birth to sons and daughters, who in turn procreated among each other (nothing happened then, and everything was fine) and on and on the cycle continued. So the question still stand; if we are all from a single bloodline, what does that make each of us to the other person?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by keentola(m): 1:22pm On Mar 31, 2019
ChristineC:
No but I think Nigerian customs don't condone it. common sense should also tell you it's not proper health wise undecided
it depends on the part of the country you're talking about. hausas do it, there have been vague reports that some parts of south West did it before they banned it. so let's be guided
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by cooljoe(m): 1:53pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
The point I want/need to know is, where exactly did the Bible forbid cousins marriage. If it's not written at all in the Bible, then, it is legal
the law forbids it. At least Nigerian laws
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by DavidEsq(m): 1:53pm On Mar 31, 2019
Mosco100:
Can I marry my uncle's wife sister?
Selfishness just full everywhere. Why aren't we asking how our actions wld affect others, rather than whether we can do this or that? Pls read 1 Corinthians 8:8-17
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 1:57pm On Mar 31, 2019
Orc13:
No! In the northern Nigeria here, the Hausa Christians do practice it, but my culture Urhobo, forbids it. But a pastor once told me the Bible doesn't forbid it. How true is this? Pls more contributions needed

Stop peddling false info dumb ass! Only the Fulani & a few Hausa practice such. Besides, not everybody in the North is Hausa. We all have our various ethnic nationalities. Why do you people from the South assume everybody is Hausa in the North? Worst is una too dey stereotype. Abeg get your facts right before you assume you know all.
is it that you can't comprehend or you lack reading understanding? I didn't said all the northerners, but meant Hausa Christians from the north. I'm talking from experience, because I've been in the north for more than two decades now
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by keentola(m): 2:02pm On Mar 31, 2019
cooljoe:
the law forbids it. At least Nigerian laws
which section?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 2:02pm On Mar 31, 2019
Viicfuntop:

Why, are you in love with your cousin
Lol I am not. A pastor claimed it's not forbidden, that's why I need evidences where the Bible States it's not legal so as to fire back at him
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 2:10pm On Mar 31, 2019
Viicfuntop:

Please stop this unnecessary justification you are looking for. Isn’t it weird for you? Why would you want to sleep with someone you share the same grandparent with. Isn’t it weird for? Why on earth would you create a thread about this? You are not even a Muslim or an Asian. Please go find something to do with your life
knowledge is the only medicine of ignorance, and you need to ask question on what you don't know to know. Ignorance is truly a disease. Next time, don't jump into conclusion if you don't know the answer/evidence
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by praxs(m): 2:55pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
I've attended and witness cousins weddings in plateau, Kaduna, kano and katsina. Heard it is happening bauchi, borno. I'm sorry if you're hurt, but if you're a Hausa tribe, you can go ask your family or pastor
Hurt? Mumu.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by banio: 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2019
Tooto and preek de always bring wahala. So to keep family unity and sanity, it is better for cousins etc not to marry.

Otherwise, tooto and preek play de sweet any day, anytime.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by IJEYdiamond(f): 4:42pm On Mar 31, 2019
stanliwise:
technically speaking it is true, you can marry your 4th - infinity generation cousin but marrying your immediate family lead to many genetic disaster and bad mutation. marry a cousin from like four generation apart would avert this effect because alot of other families blood has been mixed. Also everyone is our distant cousin

People should do their research and see what this has cursed in some families.. Some even hide it when accidentally cousins(families) engage in it even in the north.. you are right about Genetic disaster and bad mutation..

A friend of my mine from the middle east told me how marrying of cousins from his linage has cause disaster.. health issues and relationship wise.. Now he is speaking against it using his family as a case study.

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by komodapson(m): 5:05pm On Mar 31, 2019
RuthlessLeader:
Op this is the same bible where the patriarch married his own sister. Jacob and Esau married their cousins.

All in all, you should consider the potential genetic risk sha, but it's your choice.

Also:

This.

The most sensible response of all[b]
RuthlessLeader:
Op this is the same bible where the patriarch married his own sister. Jacob and Esau married their cousins.

All in all, you should consider the potential genetic risk sha, but it's your choice.

Also:

This.

The most sensible response of all[/b]
RuthlessLeader:

Also:

This.

The most sensible response of all

1 Like

Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by cooljoe(m): 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2019
keentola:
which section?
read the matrimonial causes act. Section 4 - prohibited degrees of consanquinity and affinity.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by keentola(m): 5:59pm On Mar 31, 2019
cooljoe:
read the matrimonial causes act. Section 4 - prohibited degrees of consanquinity and affinity.
it is a pity that such law is usekess here
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Viicfuntop(f): 6:32pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
knowledge is the only medicine of ignorance, and you need to ask question on what you don't know to know. Ignorance is truly a disease. Next time, don't jump into conclusion if you don't know the answer/evidence

Please shut up pervert. You are trying to look for a reason to marry your cousin, that’s enough reason to show how weird you are. I don’t even care if God ordained it but the chance of you being involved in incest is about 98%. Weirdo. Perv
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Viicfuntop(f): 6:34pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
Lol I am not. A pastor claimed it's not forbidden, that's why I need evidences where the Bible States it's not legal so as to fire back at him

Okay sorry u saw this message late. Forgive me. I just felt disgusted the first time I read it. I have a friend whose parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents are first cousins. It just weirds me out. I am sorry, once again
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 31, 2019
stanliwise:
technically speaking it is true, you can marry your 4th - infinity generation cousin but marrying your immediate family lead to many genetic disaster and bad mutation. marry a cousin from like four generation apart would avert this effect because alot of other families blood has been mixed. Also everyone is our distant cousin
not true. Marrying your blood sibling does not automatically lead to a gentic disaster not to talk of your first cousin.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by poyet(m): 7:35pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
No! In the northern Nigeria here, the Hausa Christians do practice it, but my culture Urhobo, forbids it. But a pastor once told me the Bible doesn't forbid it. How true is this? Pls more contributions needed
Bros, which Hausa Christians? I'm a Christian from the North, Kaduna in particular. It's not practised!
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by cooljoe(m): 8:03pm On Mar 31, 2019
keentola:
it is a pity that such law is usekess here
bros no law is useless o. Marriage under d act is d only form of marriage d law recognises. If u marry under your native laws, which is no crime, u can't run to d courts in case of conflict, eg ur spouse died intestate and d family wants to disinherit u, cos in d eyes of the law, u we're never married.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 8:49pm On Mar 31, 2019
Viicfuntop:

Please shut up pervert. You are trying to look for a reason to marry your cousin, that’s enough reason to show how weird you are. I don’t even care if God ordained it but the chance of you being involved in incest is about 98%. Weirdo. Perv
May God in his infinite mercy, have mercy on you and deliver you. Amen!
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 8:52pm On Mar 31, 2019
Viicfuntop:

Okay sorry u saw this message late. Forgive me. I just felt disgusted the first time I read it. I have a friend whose parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents are first cousins. It just weirds me out. I am sorry, once again
Apology accepted. God bless you
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Shedrack777: 8:55pm On Mar 31, 2019
poyet:
Bros, which Hausa Christians? I'm a Christian from the North, Kaduna in particular. It's not practised!
Are you a Hausa Christian? If you're not means your tribe doesn't practice it, but Hausa Christian do practice it
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:07pm On Mar 31, 2019
Shedrack777:
In india too christians do it.
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by stanliwise(m): 12:25am On Apr 01, 2019
Squillaci:

not true. Marrying your blood sibling does not automatically lead to a gentic disaster not to talk of your first cousin.
says who... do you need medical report?
Re: Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? by stanliwise(m): 12:27am On Apr 01, 2019
IJEYdiamond:

People should do their research and see what this has cursed in some families.. Some even hide it when accidentally cousins(families) engage in it even in the north.. you are right about Genetic disaster and bad mutation..

A friend of my mine from the middle east told me how marrying of cousins from his linage has cause disaster.. health issues and relationship wise.. Now he is speaking against it using his family as a case study.
hmmm touching.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? / Pastor Adeboye Meets With Kakoma Kanganja, Zambian Police Inspector General / Buhari’ll Deliver On Campaign Promises – Kumuyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.