Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Cont.. HIV in 1991. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Cont.. HIV in 1991. (920 Views)

Henry Okojie 5th Birthday: Mercy Johnson Celebrates Son's Birthday / Mercy Johnson Celebrates 35th Birthday With Adorable Photos / Mercy Johnson Celebrates Her Husband, Prince Odi Okojie Birthday, Drags Him Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Cont.. HIV in 1991. by faceofnigeriabl: 4:37pm On Mar 19, 2019
update via : https://www.faceofnigeriablog.com/news/nba-star-magic-johnson-celebrates-25-years-of-marriage-after-contracted-hiv-in-1991/

NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Contracted HIV in 1991.

When asked what it takes to have a successful and long marriage, many couples will say communication, patience, and faith. And for celebrity power couple Earvin “Magic” Johnson and his wife, Cookie, it’s no different.

Last year, the retired NBA legend-turned-businessman surprised his wife with a beyond lavish yacht party in Monaco to celebrate 25 years of marriage, and to call it spectacular would be an understatement. Magic and Cookie were already in Venice, Italy, celebrating their milestone anniversary, when the former NBA star flew in all of their friends to Monaco without Cookie’s knowledge. Magic, 58, also paid for all of the travel expenses.

Celeb guests included Samuel L. Jackson, Steve Harvey, LL Cool J, Smokey Robinson, Tina Knowles, Biz Markie, Bill Bellamy, Holly Robinson Peete, Cedric the Entertainer, Pat Riley, Sugar Ray Leonard, as well as their significant others.

But like for most couples, all those years of marriage weren’t always warm and fuzzy. There were some tough times.

“We had our ups and downs. We had a period where we were about to separate,” Cookie revealed. “There was a point where I was home all the time; he was working. Sometimes you start growing apart a little because he’s seeing new adventurous stuff. He’s out in the world. He’s growing. [But] I’m stagnant.”

One of the roughest patches the couple endured was, of course, when Magic announced in 1991 that he had contracted HIV. The announcement shocked the world with sportswriters almost immediately beginning to compose his obituary.

“He came walking in the door and I thought he was going to be on TV,” Mrs. Johnson said. “I knew something was wrong, really wrong. And when my girlfriend left, he sat down and said, ‘I’ve got something to tell you.’ And I said, ‘What is it?’ And he came right out and said it. And I was devastated.” faceofnigeriablog.com

“The scariest part for me was not knowing if I had it,” Cookie said at an awards dinner for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

“Then that week I found out I was pregnant, so I didn’t know if my baby had it…back then you had to wait at least 10 days to find out what your results were, so that was traumatic.”

Both her and her son, Earvin III, tested negative. His announcement is viewed by some as a turning point in how Americans viewed a virus which some said was only a ‘gay disease.’

“I’ve never felt angry at him, because it wasn’t like he knew anything, it wasn’t like it happened while we were married,” she said calmly. “I was just scared for both of us. And I dealt with it, and still deal with it, spiritually. I’ve gotten deeper into my religion. faceofnigeriablog.com “I just turned it over to the Lord and put it in His hands and that’s how we dealt with it. I’m going to let Him take care of it, and we pray for Earvin’s healing and we go on and live our days, from day to day.”

“If I had kept going [that way] and the kids left, we would probably be divorced,” the NBA legend added. “Now we’re so connected to each other, but it took that situation to bring us back. I’ve always told Cookie…

update via https://www.faceofnigeriablog.com/news/nba-star-magic-johnson-celebrates-25-years-of-marriage-after-contracted-hiv-in-1991/

Re: NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Cont.. HIV in 1991. by Oyimeoyimemua(f): 4:43pm On Mar 19, 2019
marriage is beautiful but until marital storm hit u and you weather the storm u won't understand how strong you are... Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Cont.. HIV in 1991. by Houseofglam7(f): 7:12pm On Mar 19, 2019
Damn!
That's deep
Re: NBA Star Magic Johnson Celebrates 25 Years of Marriage After Cont.. HIV in 1991. by Nickijoy(f): 9:14pm On Mar 19, 2019
That's the real cookie!!!!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lady's Graduation Dress Has Got Many Talking Online (photo/screenshots) / Finally The Truth About Nolly Wood Actor Prince Dammy Eke Is Out / Video Vixen In Davido's Song Dodo, Joy Ezenobie Is Dead (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.