Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,855 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? (42089 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / Which Of These Is Correct? / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by olagbola45(m): 8:29am On Mar 20, 2019
Chipink:
Yorubas are the ones who still make this primary1 mistake.. And this surprises me for people who claim they know it all?

It's "a hotel" simple..

You have use ur brain to do make up for ur face

5 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Godspower35(m): 8:29am On Mar 20, 2019
A
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by kaen1317: 8:30am On Mar 20, 2019
Ask the slayqueens and slay mamas its their second and first home.

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by megareal: 8:30am On Mar 20, 2019
I knew this in primary school. undecided

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by sukerefakere(m): 8:31am On Mar 20, 2019
In Hotel grin grin

Engrish and nonsense

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:31am On Mar 20, 2019
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Meliaen(f): 8:31am On Mar 20, 2019
Chipink:
Yorubas are the ones who still make this primary1 mistake.. And this surprises me for people who claim they know it all?

It's "a hotel" simple..

Shut up!

2 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by repogirl(f): 8:33am On Mar 20, 2019
Bigwig1:

An hotel is correct. An hour not a hour
In the case of words like hour or honest, the 'h' sound is silent. Instead you pronounce it as 'our' and 'onest', that's why using 'an' is allowed. In the case of hotel, it is pronounced with the 'h' sound, as in 'H-otel', not 'otel'.

This is what differentiates using using a and an

7 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by slimdamatrix1(m): 8:33am On Mar 20, 2019
Of course it is "A hotel".
I have always know this.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by slimdamatrix1(m): 8:34am On Mar 20, 2019
Yeah55:
How can it be "An hotel"? Haba

You'd be shocked some Nigerians proudly call it "an hotel". Correct them and make enemies.

5 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by xynerise: 8:37am On Mar 20, 2019
The 'H' factor deficiency group of people (Not just only Yoruba people these days) use "An" for hotel.

Though English language is a brain twister. grin
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by gr8child(m): 8:38am On Mar 20, 2019
FlintGuevara:
This is even more confusing than doing a case before an angry Justice Olatoregun.

Haha. Fellow lawyer in the house. That woman's bad temperament no be here. They should be giving her Registrars anxiety allowance.

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Westsida: 8:39am On Mar 20, 2019
[s]
Amuocha:
But where is lalasticlala sef?
In hotel? A hotel? An hotel?
Me think all of the above grin
In hotel - on short time
A hotel ( if Igbotic)
An hotel ( if Yorubatic muslim/ christian) such as buredi for bread etc grin
[/s]

Just keep short if no sense up ur skull. We didn’t come on here to buy Bullshit Ok
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Godsknight(m): 8:40am On Mar 20, 2019
which of these is correct an hour or a hour?
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Westsida: 8:42am On Mar 20, 2019
A hotel. I just like using An when speaking cos it’s sounding kinda cool.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Ibcrown(m): 8:43am On Mar 20, 2019
humblesteve:
An hotel
A hotel
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Jbleenk: 8:43am On Mar 20, 2019
budaatum:
Next time post sauce!

https://www.quora.com/A-hotel-or-an-hotel-which-one-is-correct?ch=10&share=8cd701b1&srid=hDCQO

Busted!!!

Nigga should be done for plagiarism.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Arrahman39: 8:47am On Mar 20, 2019
iAudio:
It's "a hotel"

Its is only my Yoruba brothers that say "an hotel" this is because most Yoruba people omit the "H" and start with "O" thereby putting "an" as the article.

Hence, it sounds an "'otel" instead of a "h"otel
U elaborated it better. thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Komu1048(m): 8:47am On Mar 20, 2019
Ufedolove:

https://www.quora.com/A-hotel-or-an-hotel-which-one-is-correct?ch=10&share=8cd701b1&srid=hDCQO

I'm more interested in your name Ufedo meaning love in Igala. If you are Igala please reply...
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by TruthHurts100: 8:47am On Mar 20, 2019
Give her her bag.

Why is it not

Give him him bag but give him his bag? Why the irregularity?

2 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by xpizzy(m): 8:47am On Mar 20, 2019
Ufedolove:

You should use the term "a hotel."

The English language is said to be one of the most difficult ones worldwide to learn. This is most likely because there are almost as many exceptions as there are grammar rules. Just when you manage to learn one rule, you find that the rule "doesn't always apply." For example, the word "an" normally precedes any words that begin with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) such as "an orange," "an umbrella" or "an apple."

This rule is fairly straightforward and easy to remember until you come to words beginning with the letter h. What word should you use if you want to write a word such as "hotel?"

Using Vowel Sounds

A very easy way to determine if you should use "an" or "a" before a letter beginning with h is to pronounce the word to see how it sounds. If you don't pronounce the letter h such as in the words "hour" or "honest", you would use the word "an". For example, "an hour" or "an honest man."

If you do pronounce the letter h at the beginning of the word such as "hair" or "happy," you should use the letter "a" before it. For example, "a hair" or "a happy girl."

An Exception To The Exception

After reading this, you probably think you have mastered the use of "a" or "an" with words beginning with h. For example, you can now write the words "a hospital" or "an heir" with confidence. You may wonder why people find this particular rule so difficult.

Well, to make matters more confusing, there is another exception to the above exception. If the accent of a word that begins with h falls on the second syllable, you would use the word "a" instead of "an." For example, "an historical event." Although this is grammatically correct, many people writers continue to use "a historical event."

Given the above rules and exceptions, the answer to our initial question is that you should use the term "a hotel."

In response to the bolded, I strongly disagree, in this part of the world, we have been taught about vowels and consonants instead of Vowel sounds or consonant sounds. This is why University carries "a" and not "an" despite starting with a vowel. This is because the "You" sounds in University is a consonant sound.

So the rule to "a" or "an" is applicable to sounds not necessarily the alphabet that starts the word. For Instance, you can say "An SMS" this is because SMS carries "ES" sound.

4 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by RillJ(m): 8:47am On Mar 20, 2019
Which of them will not require payment before you lodge?

2 Likes

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by olaolulazio(m): 8:48am On Mar 20, 2019
Both depend on d sound.....
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by seangy4konji: 8:49am On Mar 20, 2019
Something deh worrybthat girl weh insult Yoruba..your fada.

Well its A hotel.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 20, 2019
A hotel is correct.

The 'h' there isn't silent. So 'A' has to be placed before a word that starts with a consonant letter.

Where a word starts with a vowel, you place 'An' before it.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Judybash93(m): 8:49am On Mar 20, 2019
Chipink:

It's "a hotel" simple..

1 Like

Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by Megatrix: 8:50am On Mar 20, 2019
A hotel is the correct one
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by EmekaBlue(m): 8:51am On Mar 20, 2019
if e too hard u...just say HOTEL

Omit d A or An
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by asawanathegreat(m): 8:51am On Mar 20, 2019
A hotel for nacking is correct.
Re: A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? by cursedAbiola(f): 8:54am On Mar 20, 2019
hakeem4:
most tribes have their weird factors. ask the Hausa to pronounce people you would hear FEOFLE. ask the igbos to pronounce parallelogram grin grin Brazilians even pronounce H as R [s][/s]
most of the words beginning with H where got from the french and the french hardly pronounce H. it is actually a hotel because the H is not silent.

i remember when i could not pronounce the H in any word that begins with H

yes I'm an Igbo and I can pronounce parallelogram correctly

i wonder where you guys got that idea of saying that igbos substitute "r" to "L"

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB: Between The Conservative North & The Chest-Beating South - Reno Omokri / ICAN Exam Docket: How Can I Print It? / IMSU Student Flogged By Lecturer Faints (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.