Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,255 members, 7,780,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:16 PM

Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" (40761 Views)

Health Benefits Of Agbo Jedi Jedi Ingredients And Recipes / Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks / Why You Should Stop Eating In Restaurants In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by ikorodureporta: 6:26am On Mar 20, 2019
According to the World health organisation (WHO), traditional medicine is generally available, affordable, and commonly used in large parts of Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
WHO estimates that about 80 per cent of the population in developing countries still depend on traditional medicine for their Primary Healthcare (PHC) needs; however, this percentage may vary from country to country.

In Nigeria, many people, especially in the South-West region, believe and rely on local herbs for medication.Agbo’, the Yoruba name for herbal medicines, is a concoction prepared from a variety of herbs and; it is one of the most popular herbal preparations taken for various ailments, especially by the native Yoruba people.

It has also seen a lot of patronage and acceptance by other tribes too; Agbo can be soaked in water, alcohol or even palmwine before one drinks it.

However, medical experts raise concerns on the after effects of taking Agbo, especially over a long period of time.One of such concerns is that it can damage the kidney and liver; also, there are concerns on its preparation which include the handling, dosage requirement for each ailment, shelf live and expiration date.

Recently, at an event to commemorate the 2019 World Kidney Day on March 14, experts raised awareness on the importance of guarding against acts which can lead to kidney disease.

The event which was organised by the Renal Dialysis Centre, Allen Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos, saw experts also empahsising the need to reduce or even desist from consuming local concoctions, especially Agbo because of the possible resultant effects.

Dr Chinedu Odum, a Nephrologist, said: “In this environment we talk about herbs and we hear many people say the take Agbo’’ or herbs.

“They say the herbs clean their system but the truth is that this concoction people are taking, some of them have bad effect on the kidney. It can damage the kidney

“It is a lot cheaper to prevent kidney damage because once you have kidney damage there is no going back; even those who are rich can’t maintain, afford or keep up with dialysis.

“They can’t even maintain or afford to have kidney transplantation, not to talk of the masses who are not generally or financially equipped to take care of the disease.

“So, we want to implore people to be aware of kidney disease but more importantly, to be more aware of the factors that increase the illness.’’

However, Odum highlighted other causes of kidney disease to include high blood pressure which is the number one causes of kidney disease in Africa and of which many people don’t know that they have it.

“Apart from blood pressure, diabetics and anyone who has long standing high blood sugar can come down with complications; one of the complications is kidney disease.

“Also, bleaching; some of those creams have some components which can damage the kidney; they also have components that will increase the risk of diabetes and blood pressure.

“The environment we live in is also very important; infection in this environment too contribute to kidney disease; so we have people who come down with frequent urinary tract infection.

“If it is not taken care of, they can have chronic kidney infection which can lead to kidney disease and if that’s not channelled, we will be talking of dialysis,’’ the Nephrologist said.

Dr John Okoh, Founder and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the RDC, confirms that these concoction of herbs have negative impact on vital organs of the body, especially the kidney.He urged Nigerians to be aware of the causes and risk factors of getting kidney disease.

Dr Nkem Achor, told NAN that one of the major concerns in consuming Agbo is that one cannot ascertain the dosage and expiration of the mixture, hence the tendency to either under-dose or over-dose.

“People who take Agbo do not know when it becomes under dose or over dose and this can affect the multisystem functions of the kidney and liver, which are critical to the functioning of the body.

“Also, it can lead to blood poisoning, gastrointestinal challenges, vomiting, diarrhea, anemia and even death, if mismanaged or not detected early.

“However, one is not ruling out the efficacy of these herbs, but it is worthy to emphasise that if it is to be taken, it should be after thorough scientific research and approval.

“Also, the preparation has to follow standard supervised procedure under hygienic circumstances with appropriate dosage requirements spelt out and expiration date written.

“If these are not adhered to, people will continue to take Agbo indiscriminately; some may get lucky and be healed but a majority will come down with more debilitating and chronic situations which may be too late for hospitals to handle’’.

Dr. Ebun Bamgbose of the Dialysis/Transplant Unit and Clinical Director of St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos, in an earlier interview said that most of the kidney failures, also known as renal failure or end stage renal disease, could be linked to indiscriminate use of these concoctions.

This is because the herbs are mixed with all sorts, including local gin and there are toxic substances in the unprocessed materials and fermentation.

In summary, a research was conducted by Akande IS, Adewoyin OA, Njoku UF and Awosika SO of the Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Akoka, Yaba, Nigeria.

The research, “Biochemical Evaluation of Some Locally Prepared Herbal Remedies (Agbo) Currently on High Demand in Lagos Metropolis, Nigeria’’, was published in the Journal of Drug Metabolism & Toxicology, affirmed the negative effects of Agbo on the body.

It said: “Based on these findings, we conclude that though these preparations are potential sources of natural antioxidants, but majority of those being hawked on Lagos metropolis may be harmful to human health.“This is because many of the hawkers are likely to be quacks.

“There is also a need for standardisation of dosage regimens and close scrutiny of pedigree of the peddlers of these herbal remedies by appropriate government agencies,’’ the research prescribed.

By Vivian Ihechu, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)

Source: https://guardian.ng/features/health/kidney-disease-why-you-should-not-take-agbo/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
sad

... and most ladies are fond of drinking Agbo during pregnancy, no wonder after birth their baby will look so tiny like syringe...

33 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by davillian(m): 1:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
grin
Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by lathrowinger: 1:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
This is what I do for living, I hawk Agbo with fried meat. Mine Agbo is well arrange. I sell Ale and so on. Pls u people shouldn't spoil someone market. That's a bad idea U know

95 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Tintinnoty(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
Agbo had been people's saviour since time immemorial grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Oluwasaeon(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
Something I've been taking since childhood undecided

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Eberex(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
true
Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by NaijaOlosho(f): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
shocked

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by allanphash7(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
K

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Kendumazy(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
Agbo jedi, ale, opa eyin etc wey boys dey take high and fvck. Okay ooooooo. When they are ready to preach. They should go under bridge go tell that one to boys.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by DonBenny77(m): 1:34pm On Mar 20, 2019
Alaye them go disagree

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by kaypompey(m): 1:34pm On Mar 20, 2019
Agbo tiii ko baa je, ewe eh Ku ikan niii..English translator help me bikooo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by MooreJozo(m): 1:34pm On Mar 20, 2019
chai
Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by mimee9(f): 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
agbo been saving lives since 90 gogoro

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Baawaa(m): 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
Agbo is natural,combinations of leaves and roots no chemical substances,I prefer Agbo to shacks we calls drugs

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by sotall(m): 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
Ok
Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Adesouth(m): 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
Bit na Wetin our forefathers they use and them strong pas s us na

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
I don't think anyone can drink agbo without squeezing their face. It's so bitter.

Adesouth:
Bit na Wetin our forefathers they use and them strong pas
s us na
Totally agree.

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Kennitrust(m): 1:36pm On Mar 20, 2019
I don't know again o

Everything is poisonous to the body.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by generationz(f): 1:36pm On Mar 20, 2019
I don't believe this.

They can say anything to discredit herbal medicine that has been a source of wellness for years.

If I may ask what exactly in the agbo causes kidney damage?

I took agbo iba as a child to combat malaria and nothing happened to me.

An average traditional Yoruba family drinks agbo like they drink coke.
If it were true there would be higher percentage of kidney failure among them ( plus their kids) than anywhere in naija

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by afoltundeseen(f): 1:37pm On Mar 20, 2019

This is a sad news. How do I convince my agbero brother to stop taking agbò

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Pidginwhisper: 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2019
Their chalks no dey sell wella again. Na agbo dem wan blame. Fear catch dem say if we soon discover the herb wey dey cure all these diseases including HIV/AIDS. Dem no go see buyer for those toxic drugs dem dey sell to reduce populations. Agbo is bae grin

19 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by adioolayi(m): 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2019
The same thing taken by my forefathers and great grandmothers, which was passed down from generation to generation without issues, bringing relief from all sort of ailments is now not what exactly

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Dreyl(m): 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2019
I don't know though
Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2019
and what about the white man's drug that poisons our system like anti biotics, the one that destroys our minds and make us commit suicide like antidepressants, mr ignoramus parkwell.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by LANDLORD72: 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2019
Story story After all oyibo medicine all have side effects we like our local Agbo please keep of no go area

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by PLATO1U(m): 1:40pm On Mar 20, 2019
Nothing rocks like agbo although NAFDAC should try look into how we can update our traditional medicine to be of international standard.
Re: Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" by franchasng: 1:40pm On Mar 20, 2019
WHO liars angry

Who sent you people; western pharmaceutical companies I guess

Tell them to face their side and continue on their research for cancer cure and leave Africa with her traditional herbs cool

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stick Used As Drip Stand In Kebbi Hospital (Photos) / Fake Drugs Alert: Nairalanders/nigerians Beware. / How Will Social Distancing Work In A Danfo Bus Or BRT?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.