Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Wi-fi Hotspot Questions - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Wi-fi Hotspot Questions (2037 Views)

How To Create A Wi-fi Hotspot Without A Software On Your Computer / How Fast Is MTN BIS With Wi-free Or Sandwich / The Best Among PD Proxy, Above VPN, Wi Free , Sandwich VPN And Tunnel Guru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 14, 2006
Anyone here with some knowledge of setting up a pubic wi-fi hotspot? I own and operate an Internet cafe here in Egbeda, Lagos. Customers with wireless-enabled laptops can access the Internet from two wireless access points connected to a DLINK hotspot gateway that does the authentication.

However, I have not had similar success trying to access the Internet from outside locations. I had the intention of serving customers at home in the immediate vicinity (up to 3 miles or so). I have a 15dbi omni antenna on top of our eight storey building, also connected to the DLINK hotspot gateway. I do have an amplifier connected to the omni. I have been able to get 4 out of 5 bars of signal strength from 2 miles away but I cannot get an IP address allocated by the gateway. As I drive closer to our building, I am able to get an IP address and connect.

Meanwhile, I am doing all my testing with just my wireless enabled Toshiba laptop. I have been told that the end-user computer will require a more powerful antenna than just the built in one or wireless adapters in the market.

Has anyone here successfully done this? Can I get the specs for the subscriber antenna unit? Where can I purchase these in Lagos? I need to get back to more testing.

I hope I get some help here.

Thanks to you all.
http://www.cafepointe.com
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 15, 2006
....still waiting . . .
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by Saddam: 8:35am On Jun 11, 2006
Try Visit Speednetworks Systems Tech.

Its an NCC licenced WiFI Provider

157 Mushin Road (Beside SOS children's Village)
Isolo, Lagos

Good luck
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by otokx(m): 10:27am On Jun 12, 2006
I am also interested in this technology as I work in a cyber cafe somewhere in Port Harcourt that wants to go WIFI
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by Omachile(m): 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2006
hi
please i need to know the wireless setings to use if i want to connect to the internet in mellenium park abuja
i hear that the place is a hotspot
please someone send the settings
thanks!
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by blizzard(m): 2:57pm On Jun 15, 2006
The problem with the wireless cards on the laptop is that the laptop has a limited transmission range so it might see the network but not have enough power to transmit to that distance. That is why you come close and receive the IP. You will need what is knows as wireless bridge equipments that can transmit that range. Go on-line and look for the type you can afford.
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by instinct(m): 10:09pm On Jun 15, 2006
bros ur installation is illegal. what equipments are u using, ur AP/gateway and bridge?

regulation states u cant exceed 4W for an Omni
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by Seun(m): 12:27pm On Jul 13, 2007
Moved to Computer section
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by yinkfad(m): 2:13pm On Jul 20, 2009
i saw ur questions on wi-fi settings things u need to put into considerations is that
1. what type of radio are using
2. what is the power of the radio u are using make sure it doesn't exeed 1w.
3. the amplfier will not do u too good so it is adviceable that u remove it that is why ur system is not connected even when u see the signal. so try those options.or u call me. am into wireless networking and that is what is do on daily bases so if u won't mind u can call me on this nos 07027410186 or 08073157686 and lastly 08038551924.
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by blackkabir: 3:30pm On Jul 20, 2009
you have to remove the amplifier and if you woldn't mind getting a mikrotik router wireless board, go to this website www.datacommexpress.com or u go to their office in yaba, ask for engineer bola he is their head of engineer there, tell him your problem he will advice you on what to do, just go to their website u'll see their address there.

good luck
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by salihuali1(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2009
This is coming ages after the question was asked but I just can't help it,
Let me give an allegory.
Imagine I was on the top of your eight-storey building and I'm holding a megaphone thats set to extremely loud (viz-a-viz your amplifier). We're trying to have a conversation (two way communication) but I only have my natural voice to work with. Definitely, I'd be able to hear you crystal clear but & a big but at that is that its a dialog. If all you were doing was passing instructions it would have been fine but a conversation requires that I give you feedback on your input an d vice versa. You will on the other hand not be able to hear me no matter how hard I try. its that simple. Normal TV and FM broadcast utilize your current setup a WiFi Network can't because all your Client stations can hear your Access Point but they don't have enough strength to shout back across the distance.
Just my Two cents
Re: Wi-fi Hotspot Questions by kingsline: 10:27am On Sep 10, 2009
Mikrotik is the best Access Point to use for indoor and outoor wireless hotspot for hotels,cafes and campgrounds school premises

For non line on sight equipment laptops and PDA it can go upto 500 metres

up to 15 km for point-to-multipoint links
up to 25 km for point-to-point links

Install mikrotik wired and wireless hotspot gateway/billing for your wired/wireless users
this will enable you to set time and print ticket /voucher for your laptop users or your wireless client on your network.

up to 25 km for point-to-multipoint links
up to 70 km for point-to-point links

Kingsley
kingslinenet@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get A Good Isp In Ibadan? / Acer 16gb Ram, 1tb Hdd, 6th Gen. Core I7, Touchscreen, Keyboard Lights @150k / Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (corei7, 4gb RAM, 500gb HDD)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.