Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines (45937 Views)

Easy Ways To Identify Intelligent People / #WinterInOAU: Tension Doused As Police Nab Notorious Cultists / Four Signs To Identify An Intelligent Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 22, 2019
joey150:

I bet Google could have told you what a transformer actually does and then you could have figured the rest on your own.

I never asked what a transformer does. I just wanted to understand how electricity is shared.

Physics just hungry you teach abi?
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by chudez0147(m): 4:18pm On Mar 22, 2019
Santaboris:
I've been suicidal these days, depression is real......
Reason = I feel like I don't fit in where I am, people are so dumb.
Just be strong Bro... everything will be Ok!! .....
I'm also facing Same thing here... People are so dumb I swear down!!!
Guess what?? Las Las we go dey alright!!
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 22, 2019
mrAMG2:

You don’t get my transformer question. Currently in my area, we do 5 days on, 1 day off. I have strolled around and I have friends around, there’s currently no street with a bad transformer (growing up, you share transformer or light with another street when their transformer is bad). So my question is why do we still have to do a 5 day off, 1 day on schedule?
Its the same thing am saying, light rationing doesn't depend on transformer but how your disco decide to share the power.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Izeb4040: 4:44pm On Mar 22, 2019
asuustrike1:
Which line goes to the substation,?
Which moves from the generator house?
Why does it take time to restore power after lighting and thunder storm? Some areas is within 1hr while others 2hrs ( both day and night) whereas others till the following day.

It depends on the substation you're referring to:
There are generating substations (voltage as 16/330kv);
There are transmission substations (voltages as 330/132kv, 132/33kv);
There are also distribution substations (voltage as 33/11kv-injection substation, 33/0.415kv & 11/0.415kv - regular substations where your street transformers are).

X/Ykv:
X - substation incoming voltage.
Y - substation outgoing voltage.

What generator house are you referring to?

In most places in Nigeria, weather conditions affect power lines. While in few places, the networks are stable because of high standard of installations and maintenance

The nature of fault conditions (Eg. Shattered lightning arrestor, J&P fuse drop, Shattered disc & port insulators, broken cross arm, fallen poles, conductor snap, failed conductor termination & insulation, trees falling on lines, conductors of different phases making contacts with themselves etc.) on the line after lightning and thunderstorm determine how long it will take for power to be restored.

These lines are also called feeders. When there's any fault condition on the line, the feeder trips in the "substation" on different indications (eg. Over-current fault, Earth fault etc). The restoration of the feeder is tried to see if it will stay after the bad weather condition. If it doesn't, faultmen are sent on the line. If it stays, it means the fault was just transient/temporary and power is restored immediately. With most DISCOs and Transmission Company in Nigeria, faulty feeders are not tried in bad weather conditions.

Some administrative reasons could also cause the delay of power restoration. Places that are of high priority (where high revenue is gotten from easily-where people easily/always pay their bills and places of high political dwellers) could be always taken seriously when their power lines have faults

Other factors that could cause delayed power restoration are;
The impact of the bad weather condition in the area,
Poor accessibility to the location of the faulty portion of the line,
Availability of faultmen to clear the fault,
Availability of materials to be used by the faultmen,
Etc...

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 22, 2019
asuustrike1:

But some areas have more power than others why?
I noticed that whenever there is thunderstorm at night the light goes off but would be restored that same night but of recent things had changed. What do you think would be responsible for delay? Why would the disco comp take longer time to restore rather what it use to be?
33kva is for industrial area while 11kva is for residential areas, but some people in some residential areas might decide to pay the Disco to supply 33kva to supply them instead of 11kva.

Lightening are attracted to tall or high build, these overhead transmission line are very high and they can easily be attracted to lightening is why they are turned off during thunderstorms.
The delay can be cause by many factors, these things are controlled by human and they can decide to change how dey do things.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Izeb4040: 5:00pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
my problem is how and when did they install all of the power lines
Someone wish me well please, tomorrow is my marriage and my wife had an accident this morning cry cry cry cry cry

Sorry about your situation. Just be strong. Everything is going to be fine...
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
Izeb4040:

Sorry about your situation. Just be strong. Everything is going to be fine...
Thank you
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by adanny01(m): 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Did you know......

Only with regards to height but not the tower structure.

Mind you, in Nigeria, we use 11, 33, 132 and 330kv only.

The way a lay man could easily identify them apart is ground clearance and tower size.

11 and 33kv resemblance is striking but for difference in ground clearance. Same for 132 and 330 also resemble but size and ground clearance would set them miles apart.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by mechanics(m): 6:28pm On Mar 22, 2019
nice.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by adanny01(m): 6:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
charliboy654:

33kva is for industrial area while 11kva is for residential areas, but some people in some residential areas might decide to pay the Disco to supply 33kva to supply them instead of 11kva.

Lightening are attracted to tall or high build, these overhead transmission line are very high and they can easily be attracted to lightening is why they are turned off during thunderstorms.
The delay can be cause by many factors, these things are controlled by human and they can decide to change how dey do things.

I dont think so, with regards the bolded.

The basis for have transmission lines in different voltage is due to distance of transmission and the quantitative capacity to transmit.

For example, if you want to transmit 200mega watts from Sapele to Enugu, a 33kv single circuit line would over heat and be disastrous. When the cable heats up, loses become astronomical as such 200mega watt at one end would decipate to 150mega watt in Enugu. The loss of 50MW is not acceptable so the use of 330kv is inevitable.

Therefore, a 33kv line is only constructed to transmit electricity from one point to another delivering the capacity of electricity beyond which an 11kv would carry without too much losses.

Assuming a 33kv maximum capacity is 30MW and a company has a demand of 25MW, a dedicated 33kv must be available for them. The line could also be shared by several industries or residential. Say the industry needs 20MW and the residential community around it needs 10MW, they will share the line unless the industry decides to build their own dedicated line.

If an industrial demand is say 5MW and an 11KV line would carry it conveniently, there is no need for a 33Kv

In summary, capacity demand is the main determinant of the type of transmission line.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Izeb4040: 6:41pm On Mar 22, 2019
saintneo:

Great information, but this not in line with the Transmission and Distribution system in Nigeria.

Transmission - 330kV and 132kV

Distribution - 33kV, 11kV and 0.415kV

The differentiators includes height of tower (pole), number (type) of insulators, separating distance between the phases, etc. The greater the voltage the higher the height, the more number of insulators and the longer the separating distance.

Nice one...

Also, length of span (distance from one pole to the next), the number of poles before an "H" pole and size of conductor.

Another easy way is:
11kv line has 1 disc insulator on each of the 3 phases,
33kv line has 3 disc insulators on each of the 3 phases,
132kv line has 12 disc insulators on each of the 3 phases, etc...

*The disc insulators are either dark brown or light green or white. They are always at the point where the lines are stringed to the poles.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by emyrald91(m): 7:05pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
Someone wish me well please, tomorrow is my marriage and my wife had an accident this morning cry cry cry cry cry

All the best brother. All the best

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Abcruz(m): 7:17pm On Mar 22, 2019
Santaboris:

Hear the word of the Sovereign LORD O simple one:

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.--Jeremiah 29:11

Others were given in exchange for you. I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.--Isaiah 43:4

If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, and your well-being like the waves of the sea.--Isaiah--48:18

Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way all will be well with you.--Job 22:21

The ear that listens to the reproves of life abides among the wise!!!
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 22, 2019
We should all read this so as not to steal the wrong one
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by saintneo(m): 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2019
Izeb4040:

Nice one...

Also, length of span (distance from one pole to the next), the number of poles before an "H" pole and size of conductor.

Another easy way is:
11kv line has 1 disc insulator on each of the 3 phases,
33kv line has 3 disc insulators on each of the 3 phases,
132kv line has 12 disc insulators on each of the 3 phases, etc...

*The disc insulators are either dark brown or light green or white. They are always at the point where the lines are stringed to the poles.

NEPA man looool.

I believe span is dependent on if the line is in passing through a resident or non-resident areas. Shorter span for resident areas while longer span for non-resident.

Conductor size by standard is 150mm2.

Disc insulators as you described are very correct but at the beginning of 11kV and 33kV feeders there could be 2 insulators and 4 insulators respectively. 330kV seems to be 30 - 35 insulators.

Nice one.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by saintneo(m): 9:04pm On Mar 22, 2019
asuustrike1:

But some areas have more power than others why?
I noticed that whenever there is thunderstorm at night the light goes off but would be restored that same night but of recent things had changed. What do you think would be responsible for delay? Why would the disco comp take longer time to restore rather what it use to be?

1. Human decision.
2. Faults.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by saintneo(m): 9:12pm On Mar 22, 2019
foreshore:

One can touch the 330kv - 420kv and nothing will happen to you.

Yes, but you must be isolated from every other potential. This is difficult but must be done with the right equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJyyEAw-6g
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 22, 2019
saintneo:

1. Human decision.
2. Faults.
Kg thank you
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by obalola007(m): 11:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
May God console you and i wish her quick recovery
YoungFr:

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Tinyemeka(m): 12:10am On Mar 23, 2019
Santaboris:

Quota has got smart discussions.

What topics interest you?
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:26am On Mar 23, 2019
Abeg e get wan high tension wire 4 ma side.
Every time e go dey boil like hot water.
Na run I dey tear if I dey pass dat place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First 100 Universities In Africa(ranking) / JAMB 2021 Top 10 Best Students / List Of New Words Added To The English Dictionary In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.