Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,440 members, 7,808,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools (47083 Views)

Court Bars NYSC From Publicly Speaking On Peter Mbah's Certificate Saga / Stop Sending Our Graduates To Teach In Secondary Schools -ARCON To NYSC / Request For Youth Corpers & Fresh Graduates To Resume At Our Ikeja Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by iamwhat: 1:00am On Mar 23, 2019
How many engineering firms are in Nigeria to accommodate the large number of trained and untrained engineers produced by our varsities ?
Even primary schools are now rejecting corps members because they're too much.....
It's stupid to sign such a bill without provision for institutions where they can be posted.
Las las, nar still primary school them go post them or delay engineering students callup for service.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by AK481(m): 1:01am On Mar 23, 2019
Raheemzee:
what of environmental students?, are we also included?

E wan join?
Ok made I discuss with chiaman,we go add you but you go drop something for boys.

There are no engineering firms because they the available form receive other disciplines thereby making it difficult to accommodate young engineers.

So all technical foreign firm will need a coren reg engr as a member of it board of directors to be registered? Impressive.

Make I go finish up my coren.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by AK481(m): 1:09am On Mar 23, 2019
hokafor:
Lol, how many companies owned by the government are ready to absorb that number of Corp members ,perhaps some can join you in daura to manage your livestocks

Did u read the part that all foreign engineering companies operating in Nigeria must have their design office in Nigeria?

You cannot take sample of soil in Nigerian and send it to China for analysis again.

With this more civil engineering graduate will be covered.space go come out.

I think this is a good thing because most sound engineering grads are not practicing,which is the reason why most building are collapsing
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 23, 2019
Chai a tad too late. After graduating with an enviable degree in engineering I ended up teaching mathematics in federal girls' school
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Moukandjo: 1:33am On Mar 23, 2019
Bbbwings:
For once in his life, the dullard has increased his IQ by 1
While yours is still subzero!

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by saabright(m): 1:46am On Mar 23, 2019
beamtopola:
Rejecting and fustrations loomin...
They re no enough firm and companies to hire these corps member. Provide these companies mr dullard.

your father is the Mr dullard... fool!
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by brainboss1: 1:47am On Mar 23, 2019
This is a good one only if it can be implemented
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Dino98: 1:54am On Mar 23, 2019
donstan18:
Very very commendable.

This will help develop and expose them.

I don't like Buhari/APC but if this is true, I must applaud him.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by goldfish80(m): 2:16am On Mar 23, 2019
I wonder the reason for the politicization of a bill which is not an executive bill but a bill sponsored by COREN.

Anyway, as a practicing engineer, this is a feat worthy of celebration. It's a crying shame Nigeria haven't been able to utilize fully the talent pool from the Nysc scheme as regards to engineering graduates who would have been better serving in engineering/IT firms
but instead sent to teach quadratic equations in secondary school.
How do you expect the country to develop with such an unlettered policy?

One step at a time. The next bill should be to prohibit non practicing engineer to head the ministery of works/power/housing and the ministry of science and technology.
We can't have an engineer being the attorney General of the federation, neither can we head the ministry of health. Why should the reverse be the case in ministries stated above.
We must try to get it right for once as a country.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by BarrElChapo(m): 2:17am On Mar 23, 2019
Make them find PPA first, na them go use their hand switch to school.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by lomprico(m): 2:22am On Mar 23, 2019
Rural areas nko?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by akigbemaru: 2:44am On Mar 23, 2019
mayprince:
Mandates foreign engineering firms to register with COREN

By Omololu Ogunmade in Abuja

President Muhammadu Buhari Friday in Abuja assented to Engineers (Registration etc) Amendment Bill, 2019, which among others, bars the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) from henceforth, posting graduates of engineering to secondary schools to teach.

The bill which has now become the Act of the National Assembly seeks to promote technological development in Nigeria by ensuring that trained engineers are well positioned to deploy the knowledge acquired in their various fields to the development of technology in the country.

Briefing journalists in the State House, Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Ita Enang, said as against the tradition of posting a large number of engineering graduates to schools by NYSC, youth corps members who are graduates of engineering must henceforth be posted only to engineering firms and other institutions that are relevant to their professional fields.

Aside prohibiting such firms from rejecting engineering graduates posted to them, the Act mandates NYSC to immediately communicate the name of any institution where an engineering graduate is posted to, for his/her primary assignment, to the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).

Enang cited Section 14 (i and ii) of the Act which provides that “The Directorate of the National Youth Service Corps shall ensure posting of graduate engineers and technologists to places of relevant professional engineering experience.

“Pursuant to the provision of subsection (i), the Directorate of National Youth Service Corps shall communicate the location of graduate engineers and engineering technologists to the Council.’’

Furthermore, the Act prohibits any foreign engineering firm from operating in Nigeria without being duly registered in the country by COREN.

It also mandates such a foreign firm to ensure the introduction of local content into the operations of the company by employing Nigerian engineers.

Enang added: “The Act broaden engineering ‘practitioners to include a registered engineer, engineering technologist, engineering technician and engineering craftsman.’ It emphasises more on engineering practitioners as against ‘engineer.’

“The Act has been remitted in accordance with standard legal procedures. The principal Act establishes the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria – COREN’ with power vested.

“The amendment now assented to by Mr. President broadens the powers of COREN with far-reaching powers of prosecution of infractions, regulating industrial training of engineers, capacity building of local content in Nigeria engineering industry.

“Specifically, the new law grants COREN powers of: ‘prosecuting any person or firm that contravenes the provisions of this Act in a court of competent jurisdiction; regulating industrial training schemes in engineering practitioners and students; ensuring capacity building and monitoring local content development in the Nigerian engineering industry through – mandatory attachment of Nigerians to expatriate engineers on major projects to understudy them from inception; ensuring that all foreign engineering firms establish their design offices in Nigeria.”

Enang also said the new Act grants “compulsory attestation to all expatriate quota for engineering practitioners, including turnkey project, that there are no qualified and competent Nigerians for the job in question at the time of application and that granting of the expatriate quota shall be contingent on training of such number of persons as may be required for the execution of the job, and; ensuring that, before being allowed to practice in Nigeria, such foreign engineering practitioners granted work permit, register with the council and obtain such licenses as may be required from time to time; investigating engineering failures.’’

He further disclosed that the Act further authorises the admission of some engineering associations into COREN as the umbrella body of all engineers in the country.

Such associations as listed by Enang are: Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering, Nigerian Society of Engineering Technicians, and Nigerian Association of Engineering Craftsmen.

According to him, the Act further authorises one person to represent in COREN, the Association for Consulting Engineering in Nigeria, Federation of Construction Industry in Nigeria, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, and Armed Forces in rotation.

“The Council is now entitled to maintain a fund into which shall be paid money appropriated by the National Assembly, subventions, fees, charges for services rendered or publications made, donations, engineering development levy, among others,” Enang added.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/03/22/buhari-signs-bill-stopping-nysc-from-posting-engineering-graduates-to-schools/?amp
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Younghacka(m): 2:49am On Mar 23, 2019
Good News For Me And Other Engineering Undergraduates And Aspirants. . .
At Least This 1 Year Service Should Add To Our Work Experience And Also Increase Our Understanding Of Our Various Fields. . .
I Just Pray That Corruption Doesn't Enter The System Anytime Soon For Selective Deployment.
Hoping To Be Posted To NNPC Like Zaria Indimi Buhari Or At Least NCDMB cheesy smiley
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Luvlyna(f): 3:13am On Mar 23, 2019
Good move.. But then I ask, how many engineering firms are available for these engineering students in the whole country apart from Lagos. The ones available will still be doing shakara and reject corpers.
Theu should have addressed that too
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Queenara(f): 5:06am On Mar 23, 2019
Very good. cheesy

Imagine spending 5 years in school as an engineering student and graduating only for one to start teaching maths,physics or chemistry in a school. That's so bad

Well, what do I know
I just started, I've not spent up to 3 years.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Queenara(f): 5:07am On Mar 23, 2019
Younghacka:
Good News For Me And Other Engineering Undergraduates And Aspirants. . .
At Least This 1 Year Service Should Add To Our Work Experience And Also Increase Our Understanding Of Our Various Fields. . .
I Just Pray That Corruption Doesn't Enter The System Anytime Soon For Selective Deployment.
Hoping To Be Posted To NNPC Like Zaria Indimi Buhari Or At Least NCDMB cheesy smiley

grin grin
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by lakesider(m): 5:10am On Mar 23, 2019
rummmy:
What about northerners that studied Islamic religion, base on the fact that they will not serve on their northern region...will bring Islam down south with them

Goat
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Kelvin1019: 5:26am On Mar 23, 2019
OK but where are the firms now... They better create firms 1st
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by pinkcottoncandy: 5:27am On Mar 23, 2019
Also stop them from working in the bank ooo....leave bank work for accountants and banking and finance grads....

So so engineers full bank
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by nrexzy: 6:06am On Mar 23, 2019
ChiefSupplier55:

Reshaping watin go an sleep if you get Wat to say

Check out my signature

Did you make a point?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by nrexzy: 6:06am On Mar 23, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Dont hold your brearh. You will never get there. If by there you mean progress, it wont happen grin

Bros e Don happen finish oooo no vex
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by nrexzy: 6:07am On Mar 23, 2019
teniolav:
we are there already grin

Osheee
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Ezi1993(f): 6:13am On Mar 23, 2019
Hmmmm nice one sha..the thing disturbing him have started living him bit by bit.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by galadima77(m): 6:20am On Mar 23, 2019
Trolla:
This is commendable

The guy above me abeg nau, is it every thread? rest small abeg!!! even the images you put go just big anyhow, someone will have to start scrolling upandan to see the next comment, very annoying.

anyways, as i was saying this is very commendable, many engineering firms are fond of rejecting engineering graduates,, hence the reason for posting a large no of graduates to schools, (where else will they serve), with this, nysc can post you to NBC or Dangote, and dem no born dem to refuse you, besides it just one year, you aren't permanent staff and will prolly be paid stipends, they are more or less apprentices. So i wonder why they keep rejecting such graduates, who are just looking for an avenue to kick-off their careers in the right direction

I think government should have a way of sanctioning those who reject corp members...what an insult!
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by somehow: 6:27am On Mar 23, 2019
beamtopola:
They re no enough firm and companies to hire these corps member. Provide these companies mr dullard.

Govt should provide engineering companies?

Wetin i no go see
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Rufai1314(m): 6:30am On Mar 23, 2019
This is highly commendable.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Vince77(m): 6:30am On Mar 23, 2019
The lifeless one really impressed me this time. Nice one.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by McKayConcept(m): 6:32am On Mar 23, 2019
Are you worried about getting a project topic or even writing your final year project? Then we are here for you.

We can help you get a topic and write your final year project.

Contact us today

Call/Whatsapp
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by banio: 6:36am On Mar 23, 2019
Guess NYSC will have no option than to send them to Mechanic workshops
grin
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by armstrongkevwe: 6:39am On Mar 23, 2019
midnighter:
Lol! they will be so happy. I remember how they used to complain about it. I used to think -_- the rest of us nko?

I hope their heads wont begin to swell because of this

Let them sign bills for the rest of us na cheesy

Modified: But maybe i misunderstood. There are different types of engineering, right?

People are saying that there arent enough companies but must all engineers work in a company?

Chemical engineers can be posted to nnpc, biotechnologists can go to labs, cant they Those people that design wheelchairs for people with spinal cord injuries and incubators for premature babies, dont they work in hospitals?

I thought engineering was a difficult and sought after course that requires robust aptitude for science and mathematics. What kind of engineering are we talking about that apparently there are so many of them that they are pouring out of the cracks in the wall?

This is a genuine question and not an insult before engineers come for me cheesy

I think u just lack the intellectual reasoning that will make u understand that the amount of engineering graduates in Nigeria is not even enough for the country to develop technologically

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by oluwaahmed: 6:44am On Mar 23, 2019
beamtopola:
I agree with you.

This is nothing but another shortcut to a dead end. How many engineering/manufacturing companies do we have in this country? Manufacturing companies are closing everyday and the fact that he wants to increase VAT will further worsen the situation. He should first solve the problem of unemployment and every other thing will fall in place.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Nobody: 6:45am On Mar 23, 2019
Arelyn:
A good initiative but the main problem is indigenous Engineering is dead a long time in the country. Engineering produces one of the largest group of graduates in Nigeria each year but you ask the question, which company is going to absorb them.

I don't really blame NYSC for posting Engineering students to schools most times because there is only a handful of indigenous engineering firms in Nigeria that can take more than one graduate engineer.

FG needs to find a way to develop the capacity of indigenous companies across all the fields of Engineering, then more space will be created for graduates to fill and that way they will be engaged better.

Yet almost all of us did our SIWES in one Engineering firm or another. How come if there are really not enough companies? Think for yourself. Remember, not all who go for SIWES will graduate each year. I know it's not surplus but with shuffling, management and all that, the programme can be sustained

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Live Reports From NYSC Camps(photos) / Location Of Various NYSC State Camps. / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.