Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools (47078 Views)

Court Bars NYSC From Publicly Speaking On Peter Mbah's Certificate Saga / Stop Sending Our Graduates To Teach In Secondary Schools -ARCON To NYSC / Request For Youth Corpers & Fresh Graduates To Resume At Our Ikeja Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by abbeytech1: 7:01am On Mar 23, 2019
This is a welcome development, I hope this administration will take us to Nigeria of our dreams; where there will be sound education, stable economy with low inflation and some other things......
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Teejay13(m): 7:04am On Mar 23, 2019
You have done well sir.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by jamiusegun(m): 7:10am On Mar 23, 2019
Lovely And Excellent President. Carry on, We stand Behind you.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by ajayiopy: 7:10am On Mar 23, 2019
HOW MANY ENGINEERING FIRM DO WE HAVE IN NIGERIA
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by iukpe: 7:15am On Mar 23, 2019
Why does it have to be mandatory for all corpers to be posted to schools in the first place. It means the nation is ready to approach education unprofessionally when you have untrained teachers (corpers) in schools teaching. Teaching has a technique and not all graduates can apply teaching methods without any form of training.
The NYSC should see itself as a platform where graduates are attached to firms in the industry that they are relevant. It should be re-organised to provide graduates opportunities for exposure and eventually, employment.
There are enough teacher training institutions to provide similar entry for NYSC into the education sector.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by iukpe: 7:21am On Mar 23, 2019
Luvlyna:
Good move.. But then I ask, how many engineering firms are available for these engineering students in the whole country apart from Lagos. The ones available will still be doing shakara and reject corpers.
Theu should have addressed that too

I think it will provide some solutions for businesses seeking qualified 1st level entry staff. How many Law firms and courts, Hospitals and Pharmacies, media houses etc do we have to absorb all our graduating, Law students, doctors and pharmacists, Mass communication etc graduates we turn out each year.
The law can mandate firms to provide some minimum assistance to corp members posted, while government can make the monthly NYSC allowance at the approved minimum wage or above thereby reducing the pressure on small firms.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by bunmi93(f): 7:22am On Mar 23, 2019
Thank God at least as an engineer I will be able to serve in a company not to teach in a school thank u Baba for this, #nextyearcorper#

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 23, 2019
For where COMPANIES dey naaaaa?

I know they will post half of them to the same INNOSON they have been frustrating

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Dipsong: 7:38am On Mar 23, 2019
My brother me self served 4 nonwa ogoni land dat year
Thailand lol but e make sense sha we bless God and we rough am
Iruobean:
After I don serve for Bodo City in Gokana LGA,Rivers State last year. No be small suffer for that community. But I still thank God.

Congratulations to those it will benefit.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by tutuonye: 7:48am On Mar 23, 2019
I did mine in the energy sector, it impacted on my advancement as upcoming engineer . I so much commend Buharu for this though. that wont save him from being sacked by election tribunal soon.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by oforjide: 7:48am On Mar 23, 2019
This should be the best decision any Pprsident will take since 1999 - 2019. I was a victim of this NYSC indecision and it really affected by future to this very moment can you imagine an engineering graduate teaching jss 111 mathematcs becos of stupid nysc, something you never dreamed in whole life. Such is life an engineer has turned to be a bitter nwa teacher with a peanurt as a salary

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by bilulu(m): 8:03am On Mar 23, 2019
Raheemzee:
what of environmental students?, are we also included?
as the name goes you will be posted to the environment.... if you know you know

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2019
midnighter:

anyway i think its a wider question about the role of corpers in this country. Somebody shows up to your establishment ready to work for free or very little and you'll be doing your face undecided

banks used to take corpers, and if you did well they would retain you. but they stopped. i would like to know why because my suffering could have been abated

mtchew!
It also has to do with "Capacity"

Aww Sorry embarassedembarassed

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by midnighter(f): 8:11am On Mar 23, 2019
armstrongkevwe:

I think u just lack the intellectual reasoning that will make u understand that the amount of engineering graduates in Nigeria is not even enough for the country to develop technologically

You cant even complete the simple task of reading, comprehending and answering the question that i posed, yet Im the one lacking intellectual reasoning

Ok o! cheesy
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:13am On Mar 23, 2019
bilulu:

as the name goes you will be posted to the environment.... if you know you know
gringrin Just thinking of courses like :

Zoology
Botany
Physiology
Anatomy
Mass communication
Microbiology
Biochemistry
And so on..... Abeg it won't work efficiently... Lol.... The number of Corpers sef
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by midnighter(f): 8:14am On Mar 23, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
It also has to do with "Capacity"

Aww Sorry embarassedembarassed

Lol thank you, good morning
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Afospecialk: 8:16am On Mar 23, 2019
beamtopola:
Rejecting and fustrations loomin...
They re no enough firm and companies to hire these corps member. Provide these companies mr dullard.

Since all your past govt couldn't provide the companies that can transformed Nigeria in 16 years am sure BUHARI will prove all of yu wrong in the next 4 years
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:16am On Mar 23, 2019
midnighter:

Lol thank you, good morning
Yeah.. Goodmorning, Afternoon, Evening and Night.. My greetings in advance... Enjoy your day
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:18am On Mar 23, 2019
Afospecialk:

Since all your past govt couldn't provide the companies that can transformed Nigeria in 16 years am sure BUHARI will prove all of yu wrong in the next 4 years
We're watching... At least seeing is believing
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by midnighter(f): 8:21am On Mar 23, 2019
sirusX:

Lol...I get you

But really, the training for corpers shouldn't be too formal as they can learn on the job and assist wherever needed....after all the school system should have provided one with the basic training

Yes thats true. So is it the education system that didnt do well, then? in preparing graduates

For example someone who studied banking and finance, management, accountancy, marketing (mass comm), even just plain mathematics, what was so bad that they needed how many months of extra training?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by midnighter(f): 8:22am On Mar 23, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Yeah.. Goodmorning, Afternoon, Evening and Night.. My greetings in advance... Enjoy your day

And you too!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by willyjacs(m): 8:24am On Mar 23, 2019
beamtopola:
Rejecting and fustrations loomin...
They re no enough firm and companies to hire these corps member. Provide these companies mr dullard.
quit ur wailing u this antelope looking thing.

Now no excuses,it is now "produce more companies"

At least,if 10 were getting this working experience before....now it'll be 20.
It is an improvement nd we are happy for that.

How many did ur father produce?

Find the nearest river. ..go nd die.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by ehinorlive: 8:31am On Mar 23, 2019
I like this Good news.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Geesaintagape: 8:33am On Mar 23, 2019
Whether schools or firms NYSC is a sham on the youth.
The next stage is industries stop employing but start using corper to fill vacancies year in year out.
Its happening in secondary schools, hospitals where corper are doing the job for free.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by NoonMasamune: 8:37am On Mar 23, 2019
Classworked:
Www.classworked.com employs a team of over 100 academic experts in various fields to help busy students write their papers, assignments and projects at the cheapest rate available. Typed assignments are done overnight and sent to email for printing. Please try us now.

And people wonder why every generation is getting less intelligent

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by midnighter(f): 8:37am On Mar 23, 2019
galadima77:

I think government should have a way of sanctioning those who reject corp members...what an insult!

wouldnt it be better if they provided incentives for those who take on corpers? so that they will see some advantage in doing it, since obviously they dont care for them right now

carrot rather than stick

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Intellectual201: 8:38am On Mar 23, 2019
CORBON (professional Builders) should also be included. They play an important role in the building construction field.
mayprince:
Mandates foreign engineering firms to register with COREN

By Omololu Ogunmade in Abuja

President Muhammadu Buhari Friday in Abuja assented to Engineers (Registration etc) Amendment Bill, 2019, which among others, bars the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) from henceforth, posting graduates of engineering to secondary schools to teach.

The bill which has now become the Act of the National Assembly seeks to promote technological development in Nigeria by ensuring that trained engineers are well positioned to deploy the knowledge acquired in their various fields to the development of technology in the country.

Briefing journalists in the State House, Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Ita Enang, said as against the tradition of posting a large number of engineering graduates to schools by NYSC, youth corps members who are graduates of engineering must henceforth be posted only to engineering firms and other institutions that are relevant to their professional fields.

Aside prohibiting such firms from rejecting engineering graduates posted to them, the Act mandates NYSC to immediately communicate the name of any institution where an engineering graduate is posted to, for his/her primary assignment, to the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).

Enang cited Section 14 (i and ii) of the Act which provides that “The Directorate of the National Youth Service Corps shall ensure posting of graduate engineers and technologists to places of relevant professional engineering experience.

“Pursuant to the provision of subsection (i), the Directorate of National Youth Service Corps shall communicate the location of graduate engineers and engineering technologists to the Council.’’

Furthermore, the Act prohibits any foreign engineering firm from operating in Nigeria without being duly registered in the country by COREN.

It also mandates such a foreign firm to ensure the introduction of local content into the operations of the company by employing Nigerian engineers.

Enang added: “The Act broaden engineering ‘practitioners to include a registered engineer, engineering technologist, engineering technician and engineering craftsman.’ It emphasises more on engineering practitioners as against ‘engineer.’

“The Act has been remitted in accordance with standard legal procedures. The principal Act establishes the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria – COREN’ with power vested.

“The amendment now assented to by Mr. President broadens the powers of COREN with far-reaching powers of prosecution of infractions, regulating industrial training of engineers, capacity building of local content in Nigeria engineering industry.

“Specifically, the new law grants COREN powers of: ‘prosecuting any person or firm that contravenes the provisions of this Act in a court of competent jurisdiction; regulating industrial training schemes in engineering practitioners and students; ensuring capacity building and monitoring local content development in the Nigerian engineering industry through – mandatory attachment of Nigerians to expatriate engineers on major projects to understudy them from inception; ensuring that all foreign engineering firms establish their design offices in Nigeria.”

Enang also said the new Act grants “compulsory attestation to all expatriate quota for engineering practitioners, including turnkey project, that there are no qualified and competent Nigerians for the job in question at the time of application and that granting of the expatriate quota shall be contingent on training of such number of persons as may be required for the execution of the job, and; ensuring that, before being allowed to practice in Nigeria, such foreign engineering practitioners granted work permit, register with the council and obtain such licenses as may be required from time to time; investigating engineering failures.’’

He further disclosed that the Act further authorises the admission of some engineering associations into COREN as the umbrella body of all engineers in the country.

Such associations as listed by Enang are: Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering, Nigerian Society of Engineering Technicians, and Nigerian Association of Engineering Craftsmen.

According to him, the Act further authorises one person to represent in COREN, the Association for Consulting Engineering in Nigeria, Federation of Construction Industry in Nigeria, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, and Armed Forces in rotation.

“The Council is now entitled to maintain a fund into which shall be paid money appropriated by the National Assembly, subventions, fees, charges for services rendered or publications made, donations, engineering development levy, among others,” Enang added.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/03/22/buhari-signs-bill-stopping-nysc-from-posting-engineering-graduates-to-schools/?amp
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by farem: 8:42am On Mar 23, 2019
nailcapuzzi89:
And So

See illiterate mumu!
Why can't you ask people here on Nairaland to help you with what this means?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by farem: 8:43am On Mar 23, 2019
nailcapuzzi89:
And So

See illiterate mumu!
Why can't you ask people here on Nairaland to help you with what this means?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by Dandison28(m): 8:45am On Mar 23, 2019
Mr silly president.... Engineering students wey nor fit carry headpan Na student?���
Re: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools by EagleNest(m): 8:55am On Mar 23, 2019
Nice one. And other professions as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Live Reports From NYSC Camps(photos) / Location Of Various NYSC State Camps. / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.