Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,799 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts (44404 Views)

Which Of These Nollywood Sweethearts Was Your Favourite? / Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts Part 2 / Top 10 Early Nollywood Heartthrobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by laptopsale(m): 1:57pm On Mar 24, 2019
oforjide:
rita dominic was in fugitive, produced in 2000 and wasn't her first movie
Rita wasn't mainstream in 2000, she doesn't belong in that generation.
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 24, 2019
safarigirl:

I really battked with Eucharia on the list....wanted to include her, even if it was in worthy mentions, but never got around to doing it.

There are so many of them, not just her. Uche Osotule, Ayo Adesanya, Rita Nzelu, Victoria Inyama, even the lead actress from Nneka the Pretty Serpent, I thought of her as well, but I had to choose a few.

Can't modify the post at this point
Anny Njemanze too, Empress Njamah, Chiege Alisigwe
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 24, 2019
famousroland:
What of Chiege Alisigwe, people seem to have forgotten her so soon
As in ehh..op e be like say u go make that list 20
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2019
Kcreal2:
Op, you didn't include Ayo Adesanya and Chidi Ihezie
Yass Chidi Ihezie Love that lady...
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by ImaIma1(f): 2:31pm On Mar 24, 2019
izzou:
grin

Iyeme eh, oh iyemeeee
Iyeme eh, oh iyemeeee
In this life, you reap what you sow oh oh
Iyeme eh, oh iyemeee

Liz Benson na my crush that year grin

I just don't know why I liked her. I wish one badass producer will just drop a movie that will feature some of this legends.

My sister and I used to sing this song and even part voices cheesy
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by maklelemakukula(m): 2:43pm On Mar 24, 2019
Nnaabros:
Would you love to watch it again? smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5o2teuoMu4
you're the best

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by AlhajiAbdul: 2:53pm On Mar 24, 2019
Started acting in 2000 as Waka-pass or as Lead Actress....Is there any producer that would be courageous enough to make Oge’s picture the most conspicuous one on the movie poster ?

Also, Nollywood started with Living in Bondage in 1994....So, Nollywood was 8 years old then...Sandra Achums, Liz Benson and Regina had already retired.

Please, give honour to whom it is due.

At a time when Nigerians were still ultra-conservative, Eucharia did the unthinkable by getting into a bath tub, while stark naked, with Zack Orji. She was even excommunicated from her church for that act. Eucharia’s face sold tons of movies.

Uche Jombo no even fit get supporting actress for movie wey Eucharia dey inside. Apart from these her self-produced movies, I can’t remember any movie where Uche Jombo played a lead role. Uche Jombo was never an A-list actress.

The best Nkiru Sylanus could get in a movie featuring Eucharia is a house girl role. Eucharia was a major A-list actress in her hey day.

What about the late Jennifer Okere-Ossai
safarigirl:
Oge Okoye and co are not on the list.

Oge Okoye started in that 2002/2003 set. Nollywood was just five years old then and she acted alongside greats like Eucharia, Omotola and Genevieve early on. Oge started acting before Uche Jombo and Rita, she was Stephanie's set, so, she still counts.

Like I said, I couldn't put everybody cuz they are so many and I already mentioned those I shouls have added in a later post

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by MissJoy29(f): 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2019
Rosarie:
You did not place them well.
Ini does not belong in this group
Even Rita and uche.
Due honours to the oldies pls
Rita does but Ini and even Kate do not.
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by MissJoy29(f): 2:56pm On Mar 24, 2019
safarigirl:

I really battked with Eucharia on the list....wanted to include her, even if it was in worthy mentions, but never got around to doing it.

There are so many of them, not just her. Uche Osotule, Ayo Adesanya, Rita Nzelu, Victoria Inyama, even the lead actress from Nneka the Pretty Serpent, I thought of her as well, but I had to choose a few.

Can't modify the post at this point
How you also omitted Hilda Dokubo, Eucharia Anunobi, Steph-Nora Okere, Lilian Bach, Chiege Alisigwe, Maureen Solomon beats me.
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Mar 24, 2019
Abeg Nkiru Sylvanus no follow @Safarigirl.

She was one of Nollywoods Mgbeke from day one and still is. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by AlhajiAbdul: 3:03pm On Mar 24, 2019
Please, remove Stella Damascus and replace her with Clarion Chukwurah Abiola

Remove Rita Dominic and replace her with Eucharia....

Delete all those worthy mentions and replace them with
1. Obot Etuk
2. Rita Nzelu
3. Ann Njemanze
4. Susan Patrick

I for like mention Benita Nzeribe but she was nobody’s sweetheart abeg...
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by AlhajiAbdul: 3:14pm On Mar 24, 2019
Also, remove Bimbo Akintola (a difficult decision though) and replace her with Hilda Dokubo.

Everyone loved Hilda
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by safarigirl(f): 3:24pm On Mar 24, 2019
laptopsale:
Bro forget this excuse, Eucharia top Sandra and few others on that list,, she is above everyone included in your honourable mention. Watch Glamour girls then you will understand, the only actresses that hold a candle to Eucharia are Liz Benson, Genny and Omosexy, UK (as fondly called by fans) stayed in the industry longer than Regina Askia and should be above her.
likeI said, it was a difficult list to make.

That is why I specificalky said MY Top 10. It cannot be everyone's top 10, and some of the bile I'm getting because some of you didn't see who you preferred is quite unnecessary. There is no list that will contain every actor or actress everyone will want to see.

If I could modify it, I will add Eucharia. I cannot modify it, so I apologise for not adding her, but I can't modify and I shouldn't be vilified for what I can't change.
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by safarigirl(f): 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2019
AlhajiAbdul:
Also, remove Bimbo Akintola (a difficult decision though) and replace her with Hilda Dokubo.

Everyone loved Hilda
this is not Hilda's category

Just like the male list wasn't Zack Originally's category.

I will do a list containing Hilda, but this list is not for Hilda. Hilda did not get the type of roles the women on this list got, so, she cannot fit in with them.

Thanks for your cintribution sha. I've noted it, when I have to do a part 2, I will take it into consideration
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by catalan15(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2019
AkpaMgbor:
What I liked most about bimbo is her impeccable command of English..her diction and intonation were always topnotch...
Yeah,You are right...
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by laptopsale(m): 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2019
safarigirl:
likeI said, it was a difficult list to make.

That is why I specificalky said MY Top 10. It cannot be everyone's top 10, and some of the bile I'm getting because some of you didn't see who you preferred is quite unnecessary. There is no list that will contain every actor or actress everyone will want to see.

If I could modify it, I will add Eucharia. I cannot modify it, so I apologise for not adding her, but I can't modify and I shouldn't be vilified for what I can't change.
Next time consult me, I was into Nollywood so I know where everyone belong. Rita, Dakore, Ini Edo and Nkiru were later generation of stars.
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by AlhajiAbdul: 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2019
Ok Good
Do a Blood Money category after this
safarigirl:
this is not Hilda's category

Just like the male list wasn't Zack Originally's category.

I will do a list containing Hilda, but this list is not for Hilda. Hilda did not get the type of roles the women on this list got, so, she cannot fit in with them.

Thanks for your cintribution sha. I've noted it, when I have to do a part 2, I will take it into consideration
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by laptopsale(m): 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2019
AlhajiAbdul:
Please, remove Stella Damascus and replace her with Clarion Chukwurah Abiola

Remove Rita Dominic and replace her with Eucharia....

Delete all those worthy mentions and replace them with
1. Obot Etuk
2. Rita Nzelu
3. Ann Njemanze
4. Susan Patrick

I for like mention Benita Nzeribe but she was nobody’s sweetheart abeg...
Nice list, Ann Njemanze was our bad girl
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by kernniejay(m): 4:15pm On Mar 24, 2019
Op that is an incredibly good selection though with some missed-outs in the likes of Eucheria Anunobi, Shawn George etc. When will you compile similar list for the Nollywood Yoruba counterparts where the likes of Ireti, Folake, Wunmi etc will be remembered?
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by octatowa(m): 4:38pm On Mar 24, 2019
safarigirl:
Before the advent of on-screen divas like Adesua Etomi, Linda Ejiofor and Beverly Naya, Nollywood had some pretty damsels that we couldn't help but fall in love with.

We identified with their struggles, shared in their triumphs and enjoyed their mischief. So, in support of the male thread, here are 10 Nollywood sweethearts of old.

Bear in mind, this is a far more difficult list to compile than the male list, because there were so many brilliant actresses from the old Nollywood that so many of us loved, but this is my Top 10 Nollywood Sweethearts

10. Sandra Achums

Who did Sandra not deal with back in her day? Sandra was so good at what she did, she struck the fear of God in anyone. She was as relentless as they came. Even the notorious Patience Ozokwor was a victim of Sandra'a cruelty at some point, but just as she could be evil, Sandra could also be compassionate.

She was your bubbly girl-next-door with a screw loose. She would pull you in with her charm, only to set a trap for you for talking to her man. She was one of few Nollywood bad girls in a period filled with syrupy sweethearts and she always brought her A-game. Till tomorrow, I'll never forget her role in Wages of Sin alongside Chinyere Wilfred, when she denied her mother because she had severe burns.

9. Rita Dominic

Numerous people fell in love with Rita at various stages in her career, some might have been thw period she pkayed Pat Attah's love interest, most, when she and Jim Iyke were constantly cast alongside each other, and a few others, like me, a little later, when she featured in a cult classic, Girls Cot, but at any point one must have finally rated Rita, one thing was for certain; her skin has always been goals.

Rita has to have the most beautiful skin in Nollywood, that glow is unmatched and for many years, movie lovers have not only enjoyed her acting, we have done so, while admiring that gorgeous skin. Rita's passion is a thing of joy to watch,her delivery faultless and her carriage, enviable. She's always been the cool girl we would love to hang out with, and she is one of few who have managed to constantly reinvent herself irrespective of the times.

Rita is one veteran actress that doesn't seem ready to slow down anytime soon, having diversified into production and we hope to keep seeing more of her

8. Bimbo Akintola

One of the most seductive women to grace the industry, Bimbo was the original hourglass, sex symbol of Hollywood, before Mercy Johnson. She was bold and captivating and knew just how to steal anyone's man with little to no effort.

Bimbo was the woman who showed us that a woman could live by her own rules and shouldn't settle at all, rather than settle for less, and she may have given pointers to a few ladies on how to wrap a man around your fingers, if in doubt, ask RMD wink grin. She was queen in an era of aristos and a gem to Nollywood.

7. Stephanie Okereke-Linus

Not only did she come with a pretty face, a hot body and a great height, Stephanie was also a major badass in Nollywood.

Aside Regina Askia, Stephanie is one lady that knew how to jump off buildings and give the cops a good chase. One of few female action stars, she kicked ass brilliantly.

When Stephanie wasn't leading detectives off her trail in More Than A Woman, she was being a source of comfort, or using guys for her own selfish gains. So much of a professional, she still made time to shoot movies while still recovering from her unfortunate 2004 accident.

These days, Stephanie has left our screens to focus on the humanitarian side of her and work with some big wigs in the world, but she will always be our bike-riding, ass-kicking heroine.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-vJJbXanovWY/W26E4I3Y1DI/AAAAAAAARes/Lthx6kxf8Q075_AMb92XG8Y7uDJz0ebBQCLcBGAs/s640/IMG_20180811_073550_871.jpg[/img]

6. Kate Henshaw

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7505562_k3_jpegb5a8ad9be5a7de2c8f97f943b01edf16

The ultimate Nollywood sweetheart, Kate's superpower had to be her blinding, contagious smile. Whenever Kate smiled, we all smiled with her, no wonder Do Good was so smitten by her in Candlelight.

Kate Henshaw was Nollywood's Ray of Sunshine, she was the girl who made it easy to fall in love with her. She had so much charm, so much beauty, she just lit up the screen whenever she came on. Whether she was the illiterate, naive girl from Akwa-Ibom, or Ramsey's love interest, she pulled us in with her and we couldn't help but fall for her.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-m__k_zL1pIE/V9z04OMmw7I/AAAAAAAAgfE/pgTL48e0J7sfsiMLexKl34EX-gs8kDsvQCLcB/s640/Bimbo-Akintola-Tops-List-Of-Single-Nollywood-Actresses-Over-40-b.jpg[/img]

5. Stella Damasus

One of the original Nollywood divas, Stella brought us some major on-screen hits, mostly, alongside her constant on-screen lover, RMD, who might as well have been married to her, considering all the times they were a movie couple.

Stella was quite the emotional actress, she could cry so well, you'd end up crying with her. Didn't matter if she was mourning her late husband, or a child, Stella had an uncanny ability to create raw emotions, to pull you in and wish you could comfort her. She was suited most for the homely role amd always executed it brilliantly. She was also blessed with a heartwarming smile, that could make anyone smile no matter how hard a day they had.

These days, Stella lives in the US with her controversially acquired husband and kids, but she will always be RMD's onscreen love interest to us.

4. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde

Omosexy, one of the sexiest women in Nollywood and a legend in her own right, Omotola has had a long-lasting career in the industry, and it is in no small thanks, to her amazing acting skills.

She could be a caring mother, a wicked sibling, a nonchalant friend, a difficult boss, but whatever she was, she took us along for the ride and enraptured us. Talk and incredibly pretty, Omotola has been on our screens since she was 18, and we have loved every minute of her presence.

One of her mkst memorable movies for me, aside Blood Sister, has to be Market Seller where she played Patience Ozokwor's daughter, who she terribly misled into prositution. Aside the catchy song, Omotola's ability to play the role of Angelica toperfection, is one, not many actresses possess and her massive fanbase will be grateful for every moment she remains on our screens

3. Regina Askia-Williams

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1809290_20141024140207_jpegfd9fef00079a17df4835d32382d76ba0

Regina was the babe every guy wanted to get with at some point. Pretty, light-skinned, hazel eyes, she was a babe and damn if she didn't know it.

In her brief time in Nollywood, Regina rose to be one of the most iconic and prominent on screen goddesses of her time. She was daring, she was exotic, she was tough and she was incredibly smart. One of few women to have starred in an action-movie with an all female robbery gang, Regina was that badass Nollywood hadn't seen in her time.

While she must have had a good time jumping off bridges and landing on trailers in Most Wanted, she must have felt challenged in Festival of Fire, where she had to be the head of a contingency of Reverend Sisters, battling a community's sadistic beliefs. Her versatility is something rarely found in today's Nollywood and Regina will always remain iconic to many.

2. Genevieve Nnaji

Naija's Sharon Stone. The diva that keeps getting better and never slows down, Genevieve has spent almost two decades on our screens, but her movies are evergreen irrespective of the time.

Dark, slender and absolutely stunning, Genny is the stuff of dreams. She constantly captured our attention onscreen, pulling emotions that many didn't think they had in them. Whether she was the evil sister in Blood Sister, the embattled daughter in My Beloved, the stubborn princess in Warrior's Heart, or the elusive woman in Butterfly, Genevieve has always brought her A-game to her characters and left viewers unsure of where they stood with her.

Easily, one of the best actresses to ever grace Nollywood, and with over three hundred movies to show for her dexterity, Genevieve keeps on reinventing herself in Nollywood and we know we'll be seeing he for a long long time.

1. Liz Benson

[img]https://ghlandmusic4life.files./2013/03/liz_benson.jpg[/img]

The original Glamour Girl and Domitila takes a hard fought top spot on this list. I doubt you will find anyone in Nigeria who has a bad word to say of Liz Benson and her acting. She was imoeccable and faultless in our eyes.

She was the top of the line actress, as good as they came, Liz coukd be meek on one hand and sultry on the other. She could be the troublemaker, or the peacwmaker.....and all while carrying herself with the grace of royalty. Liz Benson had an uncanny way of keeping viewers spellbound with her wit and words. She had so many in awe of her person, it was impossible to not like her.

Miss Benson had onscreen charisma like no other, and we still miss her on our screens.

Worthy Mentions

Nkiru Sylvanus

Oge Okoye

Ini Edo

Uche Jumbo

Dakore Akande

hmmn people mentioning these legends and associating them with their GREAT WORKS,...

the ones in NollyDOOM of today can only be associated with boobs and yansh displayed on their social media...

everyone will be remembered by their works indeed....

Keep shining guys wherever you may be.

stopped watching nolly (eng or otherwise) a long time ago and didnt miss it a bit....

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by safarigirl(f): 7:13pm On Mar 24, 2019
laptopsale:
Next time consult me, I was into Nollywood so I know where everyone belong. Rita, Dakore, Ini Edo and Nkiru were later generation of stars.

They all fall within the 10-year scope, and I can only write from the period I remember. Thanks for youe offer though.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by duchaB(m): 2:38am On Mar 25, 2019
MissJoy29:

How you also omitted Hilda Dokubo, Eucharia Anunobi, Steph-Nora Okere, Lilian Bach, Chiege Alisigwe, Maureen Solomon beats me.
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by duchaB(m): 2:39am On Mar 25, 2019
MissJoy29:

Yes. Seems only you and I remembers Maureen Solomon..
I can't forget her
Re: Top 10 Early Nollywood Sweethearts by MissJoy29(f): 1:16pm On Mar 27, 2019
duchaB:

Yes. Seems only you and I remembers Maureen Solomon..
I can't forget her
I can't too. There's a way she talks 'cause she's trying to hide the 'imperfections' in her teeth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Comedian Ellen Baby Wants Bobrisky Freed, Displays #FreeBobrisky (Photos) / Empress Njamah Buys Roadside Delicacy – Photos / Buntricia Bastian: If I Die, My Husband Will Bring My Ashes Back To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.