Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,041 members, 7,807,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers (6810 Views)

Why Are Believers So Scared Of Any Historical Information Outside The Bible? / Are Believers Righteous? / 'Laughing' Church Banner In Calabar By Believers' Right Ministry (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 23, 2019
UceeGod:
Because you're blind to the proof doesn't mean there is no proof.

The blindness is your choice
I could argue that the blindness is your god's making and that i had no choice....

But you'll probably proceed to bore me with bible references

Then i'd probably counter with other bible verses.....

Then you'll warn me of hell before you leave the thread....

smiley

1 Like

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

What are you saying, didn't you read what I wrote.
I said I took you to the place and you saw the place the bomb destroyed and you even saw some little remaining part of the bomb will you still believe. Were not the one that said other planet like Venus exist because you can see them
What you fail to understand is that there are two layers to this story:

I saw the effects of the bomb at said location, thus, i can conclude and believe that a bomb exploded
However, you said this...
If I plant a bomb on a place.....
This is an unsubstantiated claim that i'm asking you to support with evidence.

I can see that a bomb was detonated at a certain spot, the question now is WHO planted said bomb?
You asked the question, i expect you to see the parallels by now....

TLDR; That i can see the effects of the explosion doesn't prove the cause...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 11:24am On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

What you fail to understand is that there are two layers to this story:

I saw the effects of the bomb at said location, thus, i can conclude and believe that a bomb exploded
However, you said this...

This is an unsubstantiated claim that i'm asking you to support with evidence.

I can see that a bomb was detonated at a certain spot, the question now is WHO planted said bomb?
You asked the question, i expect you to see the parallels by now....

TLDR; That i can see the effects of the explosion doesn't prove the cause...
So you are telling me that you believe that I planted a bomb but you don't know who planted the bomb.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

So you are telling me that you believe that I planted the bomb but you not know who planted the bomb.
SMH

I believe and can observe that a bomb exploded
I don't believe you planted and/or detonated the bomb
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 11:33am On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

SMH

I believe and can observe that a bomb exploded
I don't believe you planted and/or detonated the bomb
So if you were on the place the bomb exploded 10 years ago and you saw a news paper on that place and that newspaper was published when the bomb exploded,in that newspaper it was written that I planted the bomb and even old people that lived there said I planted the bomb will you still believe that I planted the bomb
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 11:37am On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

So if you were on the place the bomb exploded 10 years ago and you saw a news paper on that place and that newspaper was published when the bomb exploded,in that newspaper it was written that I planted the bomb and even old people that lived there said I planted the bomb will you still believe that I planted the bomb
If the newspaper has provided empirical, verifiable, objective evidence (those three words are important!), doesn't contradict itself, and isn't full of hearsay and illogical statements, fallacies & errors, then yes. If it hasn't met those criterias, it remains speculation...

Notice how the bible, upon close examination, fails at all the conditions i listed above.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 11:42am On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

If the newspaper has provided empirical, verifiable, objective evidence (those three words are important!), doesn't contradict itself, and isn't full of hearsay and illogical statements, then yes. If it hasn't met those criterias, it remains speculation...

Notice how the bible, upon close examination, fails at all the conditions i listed above.
I am not talking about the bible now or you are already afraid. And please did you say yes
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by finalboss(m): 11:46am On Mar 23, 2019
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 11:47am On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

I am not talking about the bible now or you are already afraid. And please did you say yes
Forgive me then for I assumed your whole argument is an analogy.

And I said yes, surely you saw that

Also, afraid of what, if i may ask?
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 12:11pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Forgive me then for I assumed your whole argument is an analogy.

And I said yes, surely you saw that

Also, afraid of what, if i may ask?
So with what we have being saying so far it means that if I take an event from the Bible which God did and I gave you an empirical and variable evidence that God himself did it,you will believe he exist.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Harrymig1(m): 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2019
finalboss:
ok, sorry i twisted your reply.
No problem bro. One Love.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

So with what we have being saying so far it means that if I take an event from the Bible which God did and I gave you an empirical and variable evidence that God himself did it,you will believe he exist.
Impress me
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by hakeem4(m): 12:33pm On Mar 23, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

I FEEL HIM IN MY HEART.

LAST YEAR I SCORED 270 IN JAMB WITHOUT READING, IS THAT NOT A PROOF OF HIS EXISTENCE? undecided
this is actually funny

2 Likes

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 12:38pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Impress me
Read this
Source:Wikipedia
In the narrative of the conquest of Canaan in the Book of Joshua, the Battle of Jericho is the first battle that is described. According to Joshua 6:1-27, the walls of Jericho fell after Joshua's Israelite army marched around the city blowing their trumpets. Excavations at Tell es-Sultan, the biblical Jericho, have failed to produce data to substantiate the biblical story,[2] and scholars are virtually unanimous that the Book of Joshua holds little historical value.[3]

Battle of Jericho (biblical)
JSC the battle of Jericho.png

Depiction by Julius Schnoor von Carolsfeld (1794-1872)
Result Decisive Hebrew victory
Belligerents
Israelites
Canaanites
Commanders and leaders
Joshua
King of Jericho †
Strength
40,000[1]
Unknown
Casualties and losses
Nil
Herem
Joshua 6:1-27
Edit

The story of Jericho is told in Joshua 6:1-27.

The first five books of the Hebrew Bible tell how Noah cursed Canaan to become a slave, and how God gave the land of the Canaanites to Abraham and his descendants. The children of Israel (descendants of Abraham) themselves became slaves in Egypt, but through Moses God brought them out of Egypt and to the borders of the promised land of Canaan. There Moses instructed them to seize the land by conquest, and placed them under the command of Joshua.

Joshua sent spies to Jericho, the first city of Canaan to be taken, and discovered that the land was in fear of Israel and their God. The Israelites marched around the walls once every day for six days with the priests and the Ark of the Covenant. On the seventh day they marched seven times around the walls, then the priests blew their ram's horns, the Israelites raised a great shout, and the walls of the city fell. Following God's law of herem the Israelites took no slaves or plunder but slaughtered every man, woman and child in Jericho, sparing only Rahab, a Canaanite prostitute who had sheltered the spies, and her family.

Origins and historicity

In 1868, Charles Warren identified Tell es-Sultan as the site of Jericho.[4] In 1930–36, John Garstang conducted excavations there and discovered the remains of a network of collapsed walls which he dated to about 1400 BCE. Kathleen Kenyon re-excavated the site over 1952–1958 and demonstrated that the destruction occurred c.1500 BCE during a well-attested Egyptian campaign of that period, and that Jericho had been deserted throughout the mid-late 13th century BCE.[5] Kenyon's work was corroborated in 1995 by radiocarbon tests which dated the destruction level to the late 17th or 16th centuries.[6] A small unwalled settlement was rebuilt in the 15th century, but the tell was unoccupied from the late 15th century until the 10th/9th centuries.[2]

Most scholars agree that the book of Joshua holds little of historical value.[3] Its origin lies in a time far removed from the times it depicts,[7] and its intention linked with a theological scheme in which Israel and her leaders are judged by their obedience to the teachings and laws (the covenant) set down in the book of Deuteronomy, rather than as history in the modern sense.[8] The story of Jericho, and the conquest generally, probably represents the nationalist propaganda of the kings of Judah and their claims to the territory of the Kingdom of Israel after 722 BCE;[9] these chapters were later incorporated into an early form of Joshua written late in the reign of King Josiah (reigned 640–609 BCE), and the book was revised and completed after the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians in 586, and possibly after the return from the Babylonian exile in 538.[10] The combination of archaeological evidence and analysis of the composition history and theological purposes of the Book of Joshua led archaeologist William G. Dever to deem the biblical story of the fall of Jericho as "[not] founded on genuine historical sources" and "invented out of whole cloth."[11]
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 1:06pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Impress me
So now,have you believe that the king of king exist or you want more proof.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

Read this
In the narrative of the conquest of Canaan in the Book of Joshua, the Battle of Jericho is the first battle that is described. According to Joshua 6:1-27, the walls of Jericho fell after Joshua's Israelite army marched around the city blowing their trumpets. Excavations at Tell es-Sultan, the biblical Jericho, have failed to produce data to substantiate the biblical story,[2] and scholars are virtually unanimous that the Book of Joshua holds little historical value.[3]

Belligerents
Israelites
Canaanites
Commanders and leaders
Joshua
King of Jericho †
Strength
40,000[1]
Unknown
Casualties and losses
Nil
Herem
Edit

The first five books of the Hebrew Bible tell how Noah cursed Canaan to become a slave, and how God gave the land of the Canaanites to Abraham and his descendants. The children of Israel (descendants of Abraham) themselves became slaves in Egypt, but through Moses God brought them out of Egypt and to the borders of the promised land of Canaan. There Moses instructed them to seize the land by conquest, and placed them under the command of Joshua.

Joshua sent spies to Jericho, the first city of Canaan to be taken, and discovered that the land was in fear of Israel and their God. The Israelites marched around the walls once every day for six days with the priests and the Ark of the Covenant. On the seventh day they marched seven times around the walls, then the priests blew their ram's horns, the Israelites raised a great shout, and the walls of the city fell. Following God's law of herem the Israelites took no slaves or plunder but slaughtered every man, woman and child in Jericho, sparing only Rahab, a Canaanite prostitute who had sheltered the spies, and her family.

Origins and historicity

In 1868, Charles Warren identified Tell es-Sultan as the site of Jericho.[4] In 1930–36, John Garstang conducted excavations there and discovered the remains of a network of collapsed walls which he dated to about 1400 BCE. Kathleen Kenyon re-excavated the site over 1952–1958 and demonstrated that the destruction occurred c.1500 BCE during a well-attested Egyptian campaign of that period, and that Jericho had been deserted throughout the mid-late 13th century BCE.[5 Kenyon's work was corroborated in 1995 by radiocarbon tests which dated the destruction level to the late 17th or 16th centuries.[6] A small unwalled settlement was rebuilt in the 15th century, but the tell was unoccupied from the late 15th century until the 10th/9th centuries.[2]

Most scholars agree that the book of Joshua holds little of historical value.[3] Its origin lies in a time far removed from the times it depicts,[7] and its intention linked with a theological scheme in which Israel and her leaders are judged by their obedience to the teachings and laws (the covenant) set down in the book of Deuteronomy, rather than as history in the modern sense.[8] The story of Jericho, and the conquest generally, probably represents the nationalist propaganda of the kings of Judah and their claims to the territory of the Kingdom of Israel after 722 BCE;[9] these chapters were later incorporated into an early form of Joshua written late in the reign of King Josiah (reigned 640–609 BCE), and the book was revised and completed after the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians in 586, and possibly after the return from the Babylonian exile in 538.[10] The combination of archaeological evidence and analysis of the composition history and theological purposes of the Book of Joshua led archaeologist William G. Dever to deem the biblical story of the fall of Jericho as "[not] founded on genuine historical sources" and "invented out of whole cloth."[11]
Cc. LordReed, Martinez39
[img]https://media./images/75491050af5236464061d077827e4bb9/tenor.gif[/img]
Honey, did you even read this before you posted it? LOL cheesy grin

The source literally explains and eventually states and/or concludes that the events of Jericho lacks sufficient evidence.
I'll advise you to re-read your post. Meanwhile, the parts i bolded are the parts that refute the evidence for Jericho's fall.
smiley

4 Likes

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Martinez39(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

Read this

Belligerents
Israelites
Canaanites
Commanders and leaders
Joshua
King of Jericho †
Strength
40,000[1]
Unknown
Casualties and losses
Nil
Herem
Edit

Origins and historicity

In 1868, Charles Warren identified Tell es-Sultan as the site of Jericho.[4] In 1930–36, John Garstang conducted excavations there and discovered the remains of a network of collapsed walls which he dated to about 1400 BCE. Kathleen Kenyon re-excavated the site over 1952–1958 and demonstrated that the destruction occurred c.1500 BCE during a well-attested Egyptian campaign of that period, and that Jericho had been deserted throughout the mid-late 13th century BCE.[5] Kenyon's work was corroborated in 1995 by radiocarbon tests which dated the destruction level to the late 17th or 16th centuries.[6] A small unwalled settlement was rebuilt in the 15th century, but the tell was unoccupied from the late 15th century until the 10th/9th centuries.[2]

grin undecided

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Martinez39(m): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Cc. LordReed, Martinez39

The source literally explains and eventually states and/or concludes that the events of Jericho lacks sufficient evidence.
I'll advise you to re-read your post. Meanwhile, the parts i bolded are the parts that refute the evidence for Jericho's fall.
smiley
This thread, created by otiwisdom, speaks volume of the existence of his god and the greatness of his power. If you get. grin wink

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Cc. LordReed, Martinez39

smiley
I deliberately posted all the evidence from Wikipedia so that you will not start arguing with me in the nearest future.
Firstly, I will say you are confuse because it took you up to 6hours just to reply me and now you are laughing.
Secondly, I hope you read the second paragraph very well which contains the variable evidence you were looking for.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 6:07pm On Mar 23, 2019
Martinez39:
This thread, created by otiwisdom, speaks volume of the existence of his god and the greatness of his power. If you get. grin wink
So you are also an atheist too .
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

Firstly, I will say you are confuse because it took you up to 6hours just to reply me and now you are laughing.
Nah. Not really.
I went offline ages ago and just came online recently. And even when i did, i took my time to understand the post before responding

Secondly, I hope you read the second paragraph very well which contains the variable evidence you were looking for.

The source you posted made it abundantly clear that scholars agree on the fact that the evidence for Jericho's fall holds little historical value....

I deliberately posted all the evidence from Wikipedia so that you will not start arguing with me in the nearest future.
Lol, I don't even have to argue, your post is already arguing for me cheesy grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Martinez39(m): 6:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol, I don't even have to argue, your post is already arguing for me cheesy grin grin grin
If only he can realise this. grin

1 Like

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by LordReed(m): 7:10pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

I could argue that the blindness is your god's making and that i had no choice....

But you'll probably proceed to bore me with bible references

Then i'd probably counter with other bible verses.....

Then you'll warn me of hell before you leave the thread....

smiley

The summary of almost every religious response. LmFaO!

1 Like

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by johnydon22(m): 7:24pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:
Question to you:why do you believe that there exist another planet outside earth but you have not seen.
Blessed are those that believed but have not see
That's not a belief, they can be proven. In fact quite literally you see planets all the time.

1 Like

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by johnydon22(m): 7:27pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

So you are telling me that if you buy a telescope from a shop and you look outer space through the telescope and you saw a planet then you will believe that there is a planet, but now you all are saying that the Bible was written by men to deceive people.So how are you sure that the telescope was not built by men to deceive people.
Nobody claims the telescope was created by a God, the telescope don't come with a promise of a transcendent knowledge made by a transcendent entity

The bible comes with such claims and frankly fails to establish enough awe to give credence to such outrageous claim.

2 Likes

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by johnydon22(m): 7:31pm On Mar 23, 2019
UceeGod:
Because you're blind to the proof doesn't mean there is no proof.

The blindness is your choice
You can bring forth the proof though

1 Like

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 7:34pm On Mar 23, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Nah. Not really.
I went offline ages ago and just came online recently. And even when i did, i took my time to understand the post before responding

The source you posted made it abundantly clear that scholars agree on the fact that the evidence for Jericho's fall holds little historical value....

You are very funny, you said you are not confuse but you spent time trying to understand.
So going to the bomb will were arguing about,you said that if I brought a newspaper with variable evidence you will believe right.But will all Know that using newspaper paper as a proof to an existence of something is just about 10% evidence and yet you believed.
Now looking at the Bible concerning the story of Jericho,the post I made said they have little variable evidence.So lets assume that the word of God is the news paper backed up with the little evidence you still don't believe. Now tell me how do you expect an event that happened such a long still have a complete evidence even at that the geographers still believed it occurred because they have some evidence.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 7:43pm On Mar 23, 2019
johnydon22:
Nobody claims the telescope was created by a God, the telescope don't come with a promise of a transcendent knowledge made by a transcendent entity

The bible comes with such claims and frankly fails to establish enough awe to give credence to such outrageous claim.
Why are you adding enough,why didn't just say "fails to give credence to such outrageous claim" with what you wrote , it means that you yourself thinks that the Bible still have somethings that it contains are likely to be correct/true and here you are arguing with me.
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by otiwisdom: 7:47pm On Mar 23, 2019
LordReed:

The summary of almost every religious response. LmFaO!
Give me three reasons why you don't believe that God exist .
Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:48pm On Mar 23, 2019
beatmonster:

Why do you believe in God without proof?

It is true that our journey began without proof, but we don't end it without proof. The Lord told Mary, "believe and you will see."

Believing comes before seeing (proof).

1 Like

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 23, 2019
otiwisdom:

You are very funny,
Thanks smiley
I get that a lot wink

otiwisdom:

you said you are not confuse but you spent time trying to understand.
I already told you i went offline before your mention but oops!

I guess that flew over your head

otiwisdom:

So going to the bomb will were arguing about,you said that if I brought a newspaper with variable evidence you will believe right.But will all Know that using newspaper paper as a proof to an existence of something is just about 10% evidence and yet you believed.
Now looking at the Bible concerning the story of Jericho,the post I made said they have little variable evidence.So lets assume that the word of God is the news paper backed up with the little evidence you still don't believe. Now tell me how do you expect an event that happened such a long still have a complete evidence even at that the geographers still believed it occurred because they have some evidence.
I thought you weren't ready to argue cheesy

Anyway,
So going to the bomb will we were arguing about,you said that if I brought a newspaper with variable evidence....
*cough* verifiable *cough*

you will believe right
Yes

But will all Know that using newspaper paper as a proof to an existence of something is just about 10% evidence and yet you believed.
I gave conditions, didn't i? You really need to understand what you read before you make a response. Its just an advice.

"IF the newspaper has provided empirical, verifiable, objective evidence (those three words are important!), doesn't contradict itself, and isn't full of hearsay and illogical statements, fallacies & errors, then yes.", I said.

Notice the IF in my post which implies that it may or may not be the case that newspaper will contain such detailed evidence

You still didn't read that post, did you undecided

"In 1930–36, John Garstang conducted excavations there and discovered the remains of a network of collapsed walls which he dated to about 1400 BCE. Kathleen Kenyon re-excavated the site over 1952–1958 and demonstrated that the destruction occurred c.1500 BCE during a well-attested Egyptian campaign of that period, and that Jericho had been deserted throughout the mid-late 13th century BCE.", said your source.

You'll note that after her investigation, Kenyon arrived at the conclusion that a conquest did happen. Now there's nothing really special here. When we get to the dating however, we have a problem...

Kenyon stated that the destruction occured in the around the year 1500 (16th century) and that Jericho was deserted through mid-late 13th century. You might claim that the radioactive carbon dating of the city may have proved allusive but her statement suggests that the city of Jericho was actually unoccupied at the time of the supposed conquest. This is why critics have expressed dissatisfaction with the "evidence"

2 Likes

Re: A Question To My Friends Who Are Believers by shadeyinka(m): 8:07pm On Mar 23, 2019
beatmonster:

Why do you believe in God without proof?
I believe I will pass the exam!
Does it mean that I have no evidence / fact backup to make the statement?

I believe this government is bad!
Does this mean there is no evidence backing my assertion?

When some peoples brain drains off logic! SMH

BTW

Why do you disbelieve in God without proof?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My (non) Judicial Meeting With 4 Jehovah's Witness Elders / Who Was The Fourth Man In The Fiery Furnace In Daniel 3:22-25? / Dedicate Your Soul To Father Satan Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.