Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,778 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen (35306 Views)

Soldiers Smashed A Lawyer's Car In Imo Over Biafran Flag (Photos) / EFCC Traces Atiku’s Laundered Money To Obasanjo Library / EFCC Traces Akwa Ibom’s N1.4b To 11 Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Islie: 1:59pm On Mar 24, 2019
by Malik Abdulganiy

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has traced a car owned by Walter Onnoghen, the embattled chief justice of Nigeria (CJN), to Joe Agi, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN).

The anti-graft agency believes the car is a gift from the lawyer, who had cases before Onnoghen at the time of purchase.

But Agi has told the EFCC that aside being a senior lawyer, he is also a car dealer and Onnoghen bought the Mercedes GL 450 series from him for N7 million in 2010, sources told TheCable.

However, when he was asked to produce receipts of purchase and other documentation relating to the transaction, he could not do so, TheCable understands.

Previously, the EFCC traced a deposit of $30,000 by Agi into Onnoghen’s bank account dating back to 2009.

He was also said to have had cases before the judge when he made the deposits.

Agi has since denied the allegation that the $30,000 was a bribe.

In a press statement, he said the money was from allowances paid to Onnoghen on seminars, holidays, conferences or medical trips abroad.

Agi said: “I have been acquainted with Justice Onnoghen, JSC in our days as Lawyers in Calabar, Cross Rivers State from the 1980s before he was appointed a High Court Judge.

“My Lord Justice Onnoghen said he had no idea since opening of foreign account was forbidden for Public Officers. I informed him that domiciliary account is not a foreign bank account as it is opened and operated within the local banks in Nigeria.

“It was on this note that I went to my banker Standard Chartered Bank and obtained Account Opening Forms for him as a friend and Senior Brother. He completed the Forms and I refereed him. He gave me $30,000 being left over of his allowances for overseas seminars, holidays, conferences or medical trips to deposit for him as the first deposit. This I did in 2009 i.e 10 years ago. After that, he operated the account himself without me paying even a cent into that account till date.

“Now 10 years after, I am again being vilified and accused of giving Justice Onnoghen bribe. If I may ask; bribe for which case? In the Supreme Court panel they sit in 5 or 7 persons, was the $30,000 for the 5 or 7 Justices? And for which case? This is another huge joke aimed at vilifying my person by the same cabal who are hell bent on tarnishing my image as an aftermath of the exposure of the Paris Club fraud.”

Agi is one of the lawyers defending Onnoghen in his asset declaration case before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

Onnoghen is currently being tried by the CCT over allegations of non-declaration of some of his assets, although he said it was an oversight.

In a previous case, which was eventually dismissed, a foreign firm owned by Agi’s friend paid N30 million into the account of the wife of Adeniyi Adetokunbo Ademola, a justice of the federal high court, for their daughter’s wedding.

He was also said to have bought a car for Ademola’s son.

The case filed against him for “gratification” was dismissed on technical grounds, although many lawyers argued that it was a professional misconduct which should have been punished by the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee.

When contacted on Sunday morning, Agi told TheCable that he was in church and he would react later.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-efcc-traces-lawyers-car-gift-to-onnoghen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by hypertension(m): 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2019
May God confuse our enemies the way he is confusing EFCC.

Just want to tarnish someones hard earned reputation.

Useless PEOPLE

243 Likes 11 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Earthquake2: 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2019
EFCC is becoming desperate

179 Likes 9 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by NextGovernor(m): 2:10pm On Mar 24, 2019
This time it is EFCC witness that will testify against EFCC in favour of Onoghen.

185 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Xisnin(m): 2:12pm On Mar 24, 2019
Don't believe this story yet until it is presented in court.
Expect more media lies as the tide turn against the government persecution in the court.

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by slivertongue: 2:13pm On Mar 24, 2019
Another media trial dat will fail. why nt take d evidence to court

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2019
EFCC should be scrapped!!!

They are very biased!!!

Ganduje needs no tracing it's glaring why is he not on the social media view just like you did Fayose

158 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by chozzy: 2:15pm On Mar 24, 2019
What's the big deal?

Joe Agi and Onnonghen are like brothers.

They are both from Cross River State.

Onnonghen has tutored Joe Agi at different times of his career

Buhari and EFCC are obviously confused

131 Likes 12 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by RichBoy247: 2:15pm On Mar 24, 2019
hypertension:
May God confuse our enemies the way he is confusing EFCC.

Just want to tarnish someones hard earned reputation.

Useless PEOPLE

When EFCC finally gets the court to convict the judgement trader and Bureau de Change ex-CJN, you can then be paying him visits at Kirikiri Prisons.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by RichBoy247: 2:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
chozzy:
What's the big deal?

Joe Agi and Onnonghen are like brothers.

They are both from Cross River State.

Onnonghen has tutored Joe Agi at different times of his career

Buhari and EFCC are obviously confused

How many cars have you bought for your school teachers?

How much dollars have you paid into your lectures' accounts?

41 Likes 9 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Amuocha: 2:27pm On Mar 24, 2019
Stories for the weekend embarassed

I am waiting for useless SW media to add salt and pepper to deliver across the federation this week.

Useless government

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Pennywise(m): 2:39pm On Mar 24, 2019
Its about time the SAN title IS SCRAPPED. Its a privileged instrument of corruption

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Earthquake2: 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2019
RichBoy247:

Because you are poor inside out does not mean that people don't buy cars for other people

126 Likes 9 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by BuhariAdvocate: 2:42pm On Mar 24, 2019
This guy is going to jail.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by qualityovenbake(m): 3:13pm On Mar 24, 2019
Wild Goose Chase. EFCC should state the obvious, this is just a political witch-hunt.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by TB28: 3:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
What a joke!

Do people actually believe someone should stop living his life because he’s a judge.

What’s wrong in buying a car for Gods sake. People do that every day.

You buy car it’s ‘a gift’ you sell it, I might add after years of use, money paid to you it’s bribe.

This is really sad, all in an effort to hang the man.

The truth would be told at the end.

MODIFIED:

I’ll let you all know including the ones too lazy to decipher by themselves even when it was stated there in the report that the car was bought for 7million but tagged “a gift” by evil people. That car was bought and later sold years later with transaction records available but like the newspaper report is suggesting as they conveniently understand “ no documents was shown” because they’ve got apologists ready to masturbate on everything they throw out there.

This matter has been dealt with at the NJC and has since been trashed cause there’s nothing to it but the evil ones who would rather bring someone down over nothing with their usual media trial

I’m sure even in their myopic way of reasoning they should at least know that one judge can’t change anything in a case were there are either 5 or 7 justices sitting on a matter or maybe he gifted all of them cars as well.

We talking of 2010 here, the man was barely 5 years in the Supreme Court with justices way ahead of him in the panel yet it was him that they bribed with a “car gift” to pervert Justice even after they know that it was a unanimous decision at the end of the day.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Bbbwings: 8:14pm On Mar 24, 2019
Story for the gods..
He has been exonerated by the court.
And that nura alkali was peddling lies aginst this person

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Dannyset(m): 8:14pm On Mar 24, 2019
grin
More trouble for the bureau de change

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by DMerciful(m): 8:14pm On Mar 24, 2019
Very useless EFCC!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by chiedu7: 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2019
Next dem go trace $100 Billion to his account.

Ewu EFCC

41 Likes

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by udemzyudex(m): 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2019
They don't start again with their useless media trial before you know they will close case.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Chibuhealth(f): 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2019
Jobless people

17 Likes

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by CapoDTuttiCapi: 8:16pm On Mar 24, 2019
grin

Dont ever be supported by piglets. You would lose ALL the time. tongue

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2019

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by udemzyudex(m): 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
RichBoy247:

This is a stupid question mister.
If you have nothing reasonable to post why don't you just read comments.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by eleko1: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
sad onga is a THIEF.By the time pa Bubu do am strong upside down.He'll confess both knw/unknw crime

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by SEONaijaExpert: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
Onnoghen is only trying to delay justice with his recent tactics. He can't escape what's coming at him.

He's a fraud to the judiciary system and more revelations keeps indicting him.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by tstx(m): 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
Witch Hunt

See my signature

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Traces Lawyer’s ‘car Gift’ To Onnoghen by ValCon888: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
Earthquake2:

Because you are poor inside out does not mean that people don't buy cars for other people
Bro calm down na. Your name is earthquake don't mean you should create a crater in that olodo's head.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyo-ita Returns To Work After Rejection Of Retirement / Gunmen Evacuate Boko Haram Members, Others From Kuje Prison / Ekiti Government's Fuel Sold At Alade Filling Station As Fayose Supervises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.