Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics (2392 Views)

Wike Dedicates Victory To People Of Rivers State , See What He Did On The Street / Buhari's Victory Celebration At Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park In Ojota, Lagos / "May IBB Die A Violent Death"- Gani Fawehinmi’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2010

Press Releases

Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi

Sep 5, 2010 - To mark the First Anniversary of the death of legal icon, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Sunday unveiled the Statue of the legal luminary and also dedicated a memorial Garden, stressing that government took the step as a token of appreciation for a life of leadership through Spartan service to humanity that he lived.

According to Governor Fashola who spoke at the Triangular Layby opposite Owena Motor Park, Ojota, "The State Government is trying to demonstrate to others that it will not forget its heroes in the belief that some new leaders will hopefully be inspired to rise up and continue from where he left off".

Said he: "The task is not completed. There is sweat and toil ahead. Our persistence and patience will be severely tested, but we are irrevocably committed to pursue our dream of a brighter rewarding future".

He urged all Nigerians to always give suggestions to leaders and ensure that they get involved in the process of governance, stressing that elected leaders are just like every other citizen.

The Governor explained that: "Late Chief Gani's patriotism was not whimsical, but a devotion of a whole lifetime. It was an arduous devotion to a cause from which many have derailed or turned back. It is never easy to stand up for principles, especially when you stand alone".

"Gani committed a lifetime of 40 years of the prime of his life to this arduous devotion. He used law, civil rights movements, the media and politics as his tools to liberate the people he cared so passionately about from ignorance, repression and poverty; until he succumbed to his own mortality", he added.

The Commissioner for the Environment, Dr Muiz Banire in his address described late Chief Gani Fawehinmi as an hero who was frantically energetic and courageous while his contributions to the law practice apart from court appearances were legendary and enduring.

He informed the gathering that taking over of the loop was not a tea party as it had to contend with miscreants and street urchins, adding that those who are familiar with the location would recall that it used to be a launch pad and hideout for criminals who terrorized motorists and commuters plying the Ojota axis

In his solidarity message, Governor of Edo State, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole who was represented by Dr Osagie Obayuwana commended Lagos State for honouring late Chief Fawehinmi just as Edo State has done, adding that every Nigerian needs to be guided by the examples set by Gani in confronting several issues.

He added that now is the time for pro-democracy groups and activists to embrace the doctrine of engagements, saying the days of writing letters and protests should be done away with.

Also speaking, human rights activist, Dr Joe Okei Odumakin said the token by the Lagos State Government was a token for all and sundry as the late Chief meant different things to different people.

Dr Odumakin added that the greatest memorial that Nigerians can do to him is to live for the virtues he lived and died and ensure that everyone gets engaged in the governance process.

Dr Odumakin also tasked Nigerians to do background check on those that they would vote for as leaders.

The National Publicity Secretary of the Action Congress of Nigeria, Alhaji Lai Mohammed who also attended the event said late Chief Gani was a humanist who sacrificed his all for the today of the average Nigerian.

He described the ceremony as a milestone in the history of the human rights family in Nigeria as the late Chief was one exemplary activist who stood on the side of the masses till his death.

In his address, the National Chairman of the National Conscience Party and close ally of late Chief Gani Fawehinmi, Mr Femi Falana thanked the Lagos State Government for celebrating a man of integrity like Chief Fawehinmi who stood and identified with the poor.

While expressing the appreciation of the family, eldest son, Mr Mohammed Fawehinmi thanked the Governor of Lagos State for the honour done to the Fawehinmis, adding that Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) is the best Governor he has ever come across.

He said with strategic location of the garden, Chief Gani Fawehinmi will live in the minds of the masses, adding that Lagos State Government has placed the family on the world map.

The event was attended by many dignitaries including members of the State Executive Council, widow of late Chief Gani Fawehinmi, Chief Mrs Ganiat Fawehinmi, children, members of the family and human rights activists.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 6:10pm On Sep 06, 2010
God Bless The Great State Of Lagos.

Eko O Ni Baje Lai Lai,
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by desgiezd(m): 6:13pm On Sep 06, 2010
I passed through that place this morning and I must confess its truly a beautiful transformation of that piece of land. The location is good and the garden is well laid out. Gani really deserves this!
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 6:28pm On Sep 06, 2010
It's really nice that these Alausa guys are very thoughtful and really know how to honor real heroes.

This is really a grand and befitting gesture.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by asiwaju: 6:35pm On Sep 06, 2010
i know Bai Gani will live forever,i salute Gani the law,Fashola God will bless you and your entire family.

Asiwaju.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by seanet03: 6:36pm On Sep 06, 2010
babapupa:

God Bless The Great State Of Lagos.

Eko O Ni Baje Lai Lai,
and God bless you too for spreading the Good works of FASHOLA, people like FASH are scarce, only MORONS LIKE BODE GEORGE ARE IN ABUNDANCE
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by Spyker: 7:50pm On Sep 06, 2010
Thank God someone remembered Gani. Fashola Kudos.

Just that the reverse is what we see in Rivers State where monuments named after past leaders and statesmen have been demolished with no iota of replacement. I still weep for the Obi Wali Integrated cultural centre that was demolished and the land sold to Silverbird Cinema.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by adekampe: 11:13pm On Sep 06, 2010
ministry of environment is about the only ministry working in lagos. .that banire guy is really creative and hardworking. .kudos to him and brf!
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by udezue(m): 11:21pm On Sep 06, 2010
Why can't we do the same for our heroes like Philip Effiong, Frank Opigo, Sam Mbakwe, etc.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:21am On Sep 07, 2010
kudos to gov fashola. wink
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by tarano: 1:49am On Sep 07, 2010
Good thing though! Nigeria and too much personification, yes the man deserve commendation and ofcourse Lagosians deserve parks in their neighborhoods, I would have called the park, GANI Park, period no elaboration,
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 5:28am On Sep 07, 2010
tarano:

Good thing though! Nigeria and too much personification, yes the man deserve commendation and ofcourse Lagosians deserve parks in their neighborhoods, I would have called the park, GANI Park, period no elaboration,

What's the difference between Gani and Gani Fawehinmi and what difference does it make? Is building a park in his honor and naming it Gani or even Gani Fawehinmi not personification. And where is the sense and wisdom in honoring Gani or any soul dead or alive without personifying it to reflect the very person being honored?
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by Nobody: 5:56am On Sep 07, 2010
tarano:

you want people to think the park is dedicated to Gani Adams cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 6:07am On Sep 07, 2010
seanet03:

and God bless you too for spreading the Good works of FASHOLA, people like FASH are scarce, only MORONS LIKE BODE GEORGE ARE IN ABUNDANCE

Obviously, Fashola is a very unique individual/Nigerian. It's amazing looking at the caliber of people he's honoring with parks and statues. The fact that he looks beyond trivialities and tribal affiliations when honoring and appointing people is very refreshing and inspiring. He is def' the best Nigerian leader alive.

Fashola Honours A Great Lagosian And Engineering Genius, Ayodele Awojobi.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/10/fashola-honours-engineering-genius.html

Muri Okunola Park.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/11/muri-okunola-park.html

Herbert Macaulay

http://happylagosian..com/2009/05/yaba-glory-regained-with-upgraded-roads.html

Sam Okwaraji
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by Nobody: 6:10am On Sep 07, 2010
good to see fashola is trying to create role models for our youth to aspire to
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by amazonia(m): 8:24am On Sep 07, 2010
Good name is better than riches, so they say. Gani Fawehinmi good name will live for ever. Babaginda can hardly
buy respect with the billions or trillions of money he stole.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by jaso1(m): 9:38am On Sep 07, 2010
I'm glad to be Lagosian, Proud of amiable leader given to us by God, a visionary, intelligent deligent and efficient Governor BRF. Almighty Allah will Strengthen and guide you throughout your stay as governor of the state. I'm proud of you as yoruba also proud of you as Lagosian. i would have love to have you in the presidential sit come 2011 but Nigeria mess, irregularity and evil dominant are still enormous, perhaps after Jega effort one can have trust in the INEC that will directly remove doubts or eliminate sceptic in us.
Kudos to you BRF it takes an icon to recognise his counterpart May God continue given you that wisdom you use in driving the Lagos toward her desire place.

GOOD PEDIGREE CAN NOT BE TRADE WITH GOLD. God is in your side you will continue glitering like sewage coackroch having consider Nigeria factors and enemies of progress.

Thanks
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by tarano: 8:00pm On Sep 07, 2010
Every one is entitled to their opinion, Let me first and say I highly respect the sacrifices of Chief Gani Fawehinmi to Nigerians in general, I will repeat there is too much personification in Nigeria, that is part of Nigeria's problem,

A park should be a community landmark, Even a memorial park that I agree can be made very personal including in the design of the park, such a park should reflect the personality of the person being duly honored,

Gani Memorial Park or Fawehinmi Memorial Park would do!
Awojobi Memorial Park would do!

That is the practice common around the world, naming is important,
some people are even named with their nick name, so what, there is a stature and brief

Example:
In Chicago, Dusable Park is named after Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable

What is wrong with naming a park , Fawehinmi Memorial Park after Chief Ganiu Fawehinmi.
so also, naming a park, Awojobi Memorial Park after Pro. Ayodele Awojobi.

If it is not a memorial park, then let it be Fawehinmi Park,

Nigerians need to do things right,
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 8:55pm On Sep 07, 2010
tarano:

Every one is entitled to their opinion,  Let me first and say I highly respect the sacrifices of Chief Gani Fawehinmi to Nigerians in general,  I will repeat there is too much personification in Nigeria, that is part of Nigeria's problem,

A park should be a community landmark, Even a memorial park that I agree can be made very personal including in the design of the park, such a park should reflect the personality of the person being duly honored,

Gani Memorial Park or Fawehinmi Memorial Park would do!
Awojobi Memorial Park would do!

That is the practice common around the world, naming is important,
some people are even named with their nick name, so what, there is a stature and brief

Example:
              In Chicago, Dusable Park is named after  Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable

What is wrong with naming a park , Fawehinmi Memorial Park after Chief Ganiu Fawehinmi.
                      so also, naming a park, Awojobi Memorial Park after Pro. Ayodele Awojobi.

If it is not a memorial park, then let it be Fawehinmi Park,

Nigerians need to do things right,

You are surely entitlement to your opinion, but you opinion not only sounds silly and pointless, it's absolutely redundant and nit picky. Should they have named Murtala  Mohamed Airport just Mohamed Airport or should they have named Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport just Reagan Airport or Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airpor just Azikiwe Airport?

Is Gani Fawehinmi an American and is America paying for for the park? And must you do follow follow with every thing under the sun including seeking permission and reference other countries just to name a freeking park after one of your own?

What makes you think America doing it the right way and Lagos State is doing it the wrong way? I know, just because it's America right? Or just because their s/hi/t smells better than yours?

You people come up with the most insane, petty, trivial and irrelevant arguments I swear. Who gives a freeking a/s/s what they do in all the places you mentioned?
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by tarano: 1:51am On Sep 08, 2010
We are talking about Parks here, abi garden LOL

Yes the Lagos state should name Memorial Parks better, these parks are city landmarks, and for God sake, some of those parks look like gardens, please don't call a garden a park.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by tpiah: 2:58am On Sep 08, 2010
tarano:

We are talking about Parks here, abi garden LOL

Yes the Lagos state should name Memorial Parks better, these parks are city landmarks, and for God sake, some of those parks look like gardens, please don't call a garden a park.

you're free to start your own park somewhere and name it anything you like.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by Kilode1: 3:03am On Sep 08, 2010
@Tarano, I totally get your point about the extra "title" in the name.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUT

I cannot fault this step any further.

I feel like I just got honoured. There are very few Individuals I respect more than Gani Fawehinmi. His memory totally deserves it. I personally feel honoured cool

Fashola did the right thing.
Re: Fashola Dedicates Statue, Garden In Honour Of Late Gani Fawehinmi. Pics by babapupa: 3:09am On Sep 08, 2010
tarano:

We are talking about Parks here,  abi garden LOL

Some of you are just miserable sadists, nothing makes you happy, you complain about the good, the bad and everything in between.

Do you not  have anything better to do with your time? What difference does it make and why is adding the man's last name to his first name giving you so much headache and nightmares? You know you're free to name your village any how you want

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC / Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? / Middle Belt And Northern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.