Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:57 PM

Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie (9872 Views)

Offa Robbery: Policemen Took N400,000 Bribe From Robbers Before Robbery-Vanguard / Offa Robbery: Police Arrest 12 Suspects (List Included) / Offa Robbery: Quarrelling Couple Killed At Police Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by piippa(m): 4:57am On Mar 26, 2019
A Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin on Monday granted the prayer of the defence counsel asking for an independent examination of the alleged gunshot injuries sustained by three accused persons alleged to have participated in the April 5, 2018 robbery incident in Offa.

Five accused persons are standing trial in the robbery case. They are Ayoade Akinnibosun, Ibikunle Ogunleye, Adeola Abraham, Salaudeen Azeez and Niyi Ogundiran.

But the court refused a post-mortem examination on the corpse of the principal suspect in the robbery incident, Michael Adikwu, who the accused persons claimed, was deliberately killed by a police inspector while in custody at the force headquarters in Abuja.

The court, during a “trial within trial” on Monday, granted the prayer of the defence counsel, Mr Mathias Emeribe, asking for an independent examination of the alleged gunshot injuries sustained by the first, second and third accused persons detained in police custody during the investigation of the robbery incident.

Earlier, the 5th accused person (Niyi Ogundiran), had narrated to the court how the police extracted confessional statement from him under duress.

The first, second and third accused persons had at the last adjourned date accused the police of shooting them in the legs to instill fear in them before extracting statements from them.

They also alleged that the police shot Adikwu dead while in their custody contrary to the police narrative that the man died of an ailment in a hospital.

Inspector Hitila Hassan, the second prosecution witness, who was the investigating police officer in the case, told the court that Adikwu died of malaria and typhoid while in police custody in Abuja.

But following the allegations by the accused persons that the police forced them to explain their role in the robbery operation, the defence counsel applied “for an independent medical examination of the legs of the first, second and third accused persons to determine whether the wounds in their legs are products of gunshots.

“I also ask for an order to carry out autopsy on the corpse of Michael Adikwu, the principal suspect so as to find corroboration to evidence of especially the 5th accused person as well as all the other three accused persons.

“The essence of this is not unconnected with the fact that Adikwu was initially one of the accused persons charged along with others and it is important that one of their own was allegedly killed before them.

“The fact of the cause of his death must be determined in order to find out the truth as to how the confessional statements were obtained.

“The name of Michael Adikwu was repeated consistently by all the four accused persons in this trial within trial and I think it will be in the interest of justice for the accused persons to put in a proper defence to get the result of that medical examination.”

But the prosecution counsel, Prof. Wahab Egbewole (SAN), opposed the application, describing it as strange.

Egbewole said, “I urge the court to refuse this strange application, justice is not a one-way traffic. It is available to all the parties and not only for the accused persons.

“For the record, this is a trial within trial specifically to determine the voluntariness of the statements of the accused persons. It is not for the court to look for evidence to corroborate his allegation. It is for him to do that.

“This application is tantamount to inviting your lordship to come to the arena. The application is clearly shopping for evidence. The shooting of Adikwu has no relevance to the issues of a trial within trial.”

In her ruling, Justice Salman said, “The court will avail all the parties all the facilities available in this case. It is therefore in the interest of justice and fair hearing to allow for a medical examination to know whether the healed wounds in the three suspects’ legs emanated from gunshots. I therefore grant the first prayer.
Justice Salman adjourned the case to April 8.

Source :https://punchng.com/offa-robbery-court-grants-defence-request-to-examine-cause-of-suspects-injuries/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Nobody: 4:58am On Mar 26, 2019
After examination
Medical examiner : "My lord, Michael adikwu died of malaria,typhoid,meningitis, staphylococcus, Jedi Jedi, piles and constant farts. The three other accused persons have worms in their cells. These worms bore holes in the legs of people especially criminals. I suggest fumigation of their cells to prevent further reoccurrence."

Baba no go want make them shoot him leg too.

BTW I love what the police did. They knew God was not happy with Michael so they sent him to meet him so that he can personally ask for forgiveness.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by jullidee2006: 5:06am On Mar 26, 2019
weldone
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Lukgaf(m): 5:33am On Mar 26, 2019
If you judge wrongly, the best Judge (God) will rejudge

2 Likes

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by helinues: 5:33am On Mar 26, 2019
The offa robbery case story have no head or tail.

Probably police are wasting their precious time.
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by jericco1(m): 5:34am On Mar 26, 2019
if only the Judiciary can continue with this momentum. .they are on fire. but this OFFA robbery sef. the case no dey finish
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by b0rn2fuck(m): 5:36am On Mar 26, 2019
jericco1:
if only the Judiciary can continue with this momentum. .they are on fire. but this OFFA robbery sef. the case no dey finish
because of saraki names , they are playing politics with it

2 Likes

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by meobizy(f): 5:36am On Mar 26, 2019
I'm suprised this thing is still ongoing. Let justice get served. The situation was a national tragedy.

1 Like

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by LordCenturion(m): 5:38am On Mar 26, 2019
They want to finish saraki this time around
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by jericco1(m): 5:38am On Mar 26, 2019
b0rn2fuck:
because of saraki names , they are playing politics with it

the thing just tire me oh. I hope they are not withholding evidence(s) sha
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by InaNla(f): 5:39am On Mar 26, 2019
Death by hanging please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by wethebest(m): 5:40am On Mar 26, 2019
Ok. Dem neva finish these guys since?
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Ayoswit(f): 5:41am On Mar 26, 2019
Good one from the judge.
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:48am On Mar 26, 2019
So the courts are looking for ways to release the payment that killed 33 of it's citizens
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Godjone(m): 5:57am On Mar 26, 2019
But the court refused a post-mortem examination on the corpse of the principal suspect in the robbery incident, Michael Adikwu, who the accused persons claimed, was deliberately killed by a police inspector while in custody at the force headquarters in Abuja.

All there plans is to see that bukola is roped. Useless charge and bail judges

2 Likes

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by ebujany(m): 6:01am On Mar 26, 2019
naija police and shooting of legs,..I wonder wetin they gain
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Born2Breed(f): 6:02am On Mar 26, 2019
Why use such force to extract confession from criminals with so much evidence already available thru the video surveillance.
These robbers can't deny their role in the robbery but these shooting was done to.rope in saraki,the main culprit was executed cos he was not a common thug linked to saraki and his testament would have rubbised their lies.
I'm truly disappointed in Abba kyari. This shows every Nigerian police has the same mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Gosj01(m): 6:03am On Mar 26, 2019
So this case still dey drag leg?

I sell cool laptops!
Info in signature
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Alexk2(m): 6:05am On Mar 26, 2019
This is what I always talk about; our law enforcement officers must change their investigative method to a more realistic and lawful means.... Not those archaic and irresponsible methods that can end up make the case useless....i won't be surprised if the accused are discharged in the end if there lawyers can successfully proof a case of forcing them to confess under duress expecially with by shooting them in the leg. It's very sad; we should have moved beyond such irresponsible method long time ago.
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by ednut1(m): 6:07am On Mar 26, 2019
When they refused to parade the adikwu guy i knew he had been killed
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by dheaven: 6:08am On Mar 26, 2019
The law have two sides if not I see no reason for the delay in this case more than a month.
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by demoBaba: 6:12am On Mar 26, 2019
Oise10:
See bellow

Too early guyman
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Onlinealaba(m): 6:14am On Mar 26, 2019
With the gravity of offence those robbers committed I wonder why their judgment is still been delayed, well the end justifies the means

Check my signature, get your electronics, SMART TVs, air conditioners, washing machines and sound bars at affordable rate,payment on delivery, BUY4ME services available too with POD option

1 Like

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by mu2sa2: 6:15am On Mar 26, 2019
The so-called trial of offa robbery suspects is a charade. Robbery is a state offence and the prosecution counsel, a lecturer at Unilorin, is a well-known Saraki's personal lawyer. Only a mumu will believe that kwara state government led by Saraki surrogates will prosecute Saraki to conviction in a state court presided over by Saraki's "sister", Justice Halima Saliman. To complete the circus, the defence counsel was handpicked by the prosecution. So, when you hear later that the judge has dismissed the case, remember that you read it here that that's what would happen. Ha, God dey o! No earthly justice for the 33 people that were killed by the robbers using Saraki-supplied Ak-47s.
Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by Nobody: 6:16am On Mar 26, 2019
Shibaraba:
After examination
Medical examiner : "My lord, Michael adikwu died of malaria,typhoid,meningitis, staphylococcus, Jedi Jedi, piles and constant farts. The three other accused persons have worms in their cells. These worms bore holes in the legs of people especially criminals. I suggest fumigation of their cells to prevent further reoccurrence."

Baba no go want make them shoot him leg too.

BTW I love what the police did. They knew God was not happy with Michael so they sent him to meet him so that he can personally ask for forgiveness.

Don't trust nija police, if Michael Adikwu was a good boy (always give returns from road block) they would have release him to go to Gambia or Tanzania till the dust settle over this case.

2 Likes

Re: Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Cause Of Suspects’ Injurie by usoroakpan(m): 6:17am On Mar 26, 2019

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Narrates How SARS Officers Sexually Harassed Her In Ilorin / Internet Fraudster Bags Jail Term For Impersonation In Abuja / Court Remands Seven Young Men For Robbing Osun Residents (see Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.