Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,118 members, 7,807,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

USA Visit Visa Part 4 - Travel (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Visit Visa Part 4 (528907 Views)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (252) (Go Down)

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by jasmine1147: 8:28pm On Dec 11, 2019
onyxo76:
do you Nigerians based in places like UK, Dubai etc aside Nigeria get denied like those of us here

Nahhh
I don't think so, the last time i applied, the interview took less than 2mins, they only checked my ID and employment letter
Visa grant

5 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Vision202: 9:42pm On Dec 11, 2019
fkj950ax:

My questions is
1. Can I still get interview date before the conference?
Go to ustraveldoc website to confirm available dates. (https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-appointmentschedule.html)

2. What are my chances of getting the Visa since I read here that they don't issue visa to attend conferences any longer.
This is not true and it has not been said here visas aren't issued for Conferences.
What was said is the chances are slim due to the fact that a lot of people use it as an excuse and they have no intention of attending the conference

3. Is it possible to get the date before paying the visa fee?
You can ONLY VIEW dates before paying. To get a date, you have to pay first.

Addendum
Visa for Conference et al stands a good chance if it relates to your field and day to day job function. You are also going there to present a paper and the organizers have provided you with a cover letter and are picking your bills.

I think you stand a good chance of getting a visa approved in your favor if you can clearly state all of this at your interview along with your background details

Thanks so much Brother for your response.
The conference relates well with my job and will also enhance my career.
Have also been to India and Germany for a training course before.

But my concern now is to be sure of a date before the conference, as I don't want to pay the visa fee n eventually not get a date.
Please how can I go about it?
Thanks in anticipation as I await your response.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by BabaRamota1980: 10:20pm On Dec 11, 2019
Lady G where you dey nau?

Chei. Ebee kaa nu?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by fkj950ax(m): 10:37pm On Dec 11, 2019
Vision202:

Thanks so much Brother for your response.
The conference relates well with my job and will also enhance my career.
Have also been to India and Germany for a training course before.

But my concern now is to be sure of a date before the conference, as I don't want to pay the visa fee n eventually not get a date.
Please how can I go about it?
Thanks in anticipation as I await your response.

My questions is
1. Can I still get interview date before the conference?
Go to ustraveldoc website to confirm available dates. (https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-appointmentschedule.html)

Go to the link and check for dates. If date is okay. Pay and lock in the date.
If it isn't okay, scrap the plans
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by micluv111: 11:12pm On Dec 11, 2019
skdfu747:

[s]
You are right the V.O must have put the weather into consideration[/s].

Imagine. Is that what you think?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by groovychik(f): 11:19pm On Dec 11, 2019
My first UK visa interview was at 16 before the dropbox started and of course before Visa application centres. Prior to that my Mum was the one that usually gets my UK visas for me, being a minor. You see, I had been travelling to the UK since I was less than a year old so I was pretty confident and calm. I went in alone and had what I thought was a decent interview, the lady was smiling, we cracked a few jokes and at the end she gave me a rejection letter. I appealed, they sent a letter two months later to come submit my passport for the visa, I wrote back to tell them that my Mum who I was to travel with had gone and come back, thus, I was no longer interested in the Visa. The next year I went for a student's visa and I was borderline rude. Straight to the point, no smiling and of course I have never been rejected a UK visa since that first time. My point is that the VOs are not our friends. You have a great profile, but just like I was busy at 16 giving long answers and information I wasn't asked, you were talking too much. Stick to questions asked, do not add or subtract. With oyibos, less is more. You probably worked with them in Aberdeen so you know this. They see talking too much as us trying to hide our ulterior motives, instead of us just being enthusiastic. Your son's innocent comment would appear to them as coaching. That's how strait laced they are. During my US interview, I planned to smile because my friend told me to do so, cos I have a resting b....ch face. This particular VO denied 3 people
in less than 5 minutes while other VOs still had people in their fronts, so I couldnt even summon a smile. Good luck to you and more hugs for your child.

[quote author=Dondadahakeem post=84819737]I apply for a b1/b2. And was refused officer says I'm not qualify. I don't know what went wrong but this is what happen. I am Human Resource Manager in audit and Tax firm in Lagos and my wife also HR manager of an investment and asset management company a known

7 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by prettybimbim: 12:11am On Dec 12, 2019
Sometimes I wonder where nigerians get all these travel theories from? And when exactly did it become an offence to travel as a family?
Please let's stop saying what we do not have facts on.

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by AfonjaBoston: 1:07am On Dec 12, 2019
Beautyaddy:

[s]Hmmm...visiting Minnesota during this season is not very advisable. The State has been experiencing very brutal cold weather and snow causing most people to spend most of their days indoors at home.
[/s]

Not true.
Businesses are not closed, come rain, shine, tornado, volcano, fire, snowstorm most Americans love life and in this season bad weather doesn't affect a great fun spot.
Unless of course evacuation things or shutdown

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by AfonjaBoston: 1:09am On Dec 12, 2019
micluv111:

Na you dey mind potopoto yarns.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by wuki: 3:55am On Dec 12, 2019
skdfu747:

You are right the V.O must have put the weather into consideration.

This has got to be the funniest comment I’ve read all day. Visa denials based on weather consideration. Now that’s hilarious.

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by wuki: 4:46am On Dec 12, 2019
OP, your experience is quite unfortunate. It's expected that individuals with budding careers are likely to find gainful employment with relative ease on the other side. More so, a couple with such prospective traveling together with child leaves no claim to home ties. It's highly likely you were denied as a potential migrant -- even though that might not have been your intent. I think you should re-apply again but it's best if you each applied separately. Doesn't guarantee you'll secure a visa but helps eliminate some legitimate concerns that might impede your chances. All the best.

Dondadahakeem:
I apply for a b1/b2. And was refused officer says I'm not qualify. I don't know what went wrong but this is what happen. I am Human Resource Manager in audit and Tax firm in Lagos and my wife also HR manager of an investment and asset management company a known organisation.

On the 10/12/2019 was my interview 6:45am

VO:Good morning
ME:Good morning how are you doing today?
VO:Can I have your passport
ME: I gave the passport to him well arranged since we are three my wife and I and my four year old son
VO: why do you want to travel to the US
ME:We are going on family vacation to Minnesota to visit mall of America at Bloomington in Minnesota,because my son is a lover of nickelodeon characters and we want to also as family have a good holiday time together.
VO: what do you do.
ME: I'm human Resources manager with xxxx and I manage overall aspect of admin and HR related matter of the firm I work for
VO:ok
VO:Have you traveled before
ME:Yes, I have been to United Kingdom to study University of Aberdeen Scotland precisely and I also met my darling wife while studying as well at Robert Gordon university same in Aberdeen and we even had our marriage in England afterwards when we finished our study while working with post study visa permit. Showed him our UK marriage certificate.
VO: Great
VO:Have you made any itinerary plan?
ME: No;but over the weekend we saw an affordable flight ticket which we pre-booked (showed him the paper)and waiting for the outcome of our interview to know if we can proceed with payment.
we have also made bookings with hotel in Bloomington for eight nights with confirmation letter as mentioned in our Ds160 form
VO: madam what do you do
My wife: I am Human Resources manager of xxxxxx in Lagos and I oversee all the HR operations of the company
VO:Is this your only child
ME and WIFE: Yes
VO: Ok
VO: Saying hello to my son
MY SON : Hello .......the young boy said please I want to go to adventure bay to see paw patrol
VO: Ok
VO: Has he traveled before
ME and MY wife : No, we waited this long for him to have a good memories of the family holiday

He kept typing for over 2minutes Next he said you are not eligible for US visa this time with a yellow paper and roughly pushed our passports to me and I said thank have nice day,but I was sad.

The next was my son knew the sadness on our faces and started crying till Opic begger from the embassy
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Mancala: 5:02am On Dec 12, 2019
The weather may really have been a point of consideration. Minnesota is so darn cold right now, and I'm not talking about U.K. type of cold/winter. This is in a different category entirely. Oftentimes, it's colder in Minneapolis than in Alaska. Tourists to the state at this time of the year are usually outdoorsy types that are looking to ski, snow shoe, hike, ice fish, hunt and all the other winter type activities the state is famous for. Or they are visiting family. It's kind of unusual to want to visit at this time of year with the sole purpose of going to Nickelodeon universe. The Mall of America itself that houses it is a much bigger tourist attraction. Nickeloden universe in Minnesota is honestly a lame attraction. I'm guessing this is why the VO asked you for your itinerary. Probably was not convinced that you would visit Minnesota for that attraction when there is an awesome 9 acre Nickelodeon universe in New Jersey that outshines the Minnesota version by light years. It's the largest indoor theme park in the U.S.

5 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by wuki: 5:20am On Dec 12, 2019
Mancala:
The weather may really have been a point of consideration. Minnesota is so darn cold right now, and I'm not talking about U.K. type of cold/winter. This is in a different category entirely. Oftentimes, it's colder in Minneapolis than in Alaska. Tourists to the state at this time of the year are usually outdoorsy types that are looking to ski, snow shoe, hike, ice fish, hunt and all the other winter type activities the state is famous for. Or they are visiting family. It's kind of unusual to want to visit at this time of year with the sole purpose of going to Nickelodeon universe. The Mall of America itself that houses it is a much bigger tourist attraction. Nickeloden universe in Minnesota is honestly a lame attraction. I'm guessing this is why the VO asked you for your itinerary. Probably was not convinced that you would visit Minnesota for that attraction when there is an awesome 9 acre Nickelodeon universe in New Jersey that outshines the Minnesota version by light years. It's the largest indoor theme park in the U.S.

My cousins got a visa last week @ Lagos to visit their sister for the holidays in Minnesota. What do you have to say to that? I have never heard of visa decisions predicated on weather. The embassy might as well deny visa applications in the winter depending on destination; after all, Minnesota doesn't have monopoly over freezing weather -- from New England/Connecticut/Massachusetts to Chicago, the story is the same. So I'm assuming if we are to go by your logic: people traveling to these parts of the U.S this time of the year automatically get denied because of inclement weather? C'mon.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Enick: 6:27am On Dec 12, 2019
Hello,

Considering the recent trend of difficulty in obtaining a US visa, would it be wise for me to apply with my family of four for Esther holiday or better and stronger tie if I apply alone?

Far back in 2014, I did a family vacation to UAE but without my last daughter who was unborn at that time. In January 2019, I traveled alone to the UK for vacation. So I am thinking of visiting the US but I want to find our ways to improve my/our chances of getting a visa.

Thanks for your reply.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Semisolasola: 7:11am On Dec 12, 2019
Mancala:

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 12, 2019
micluv111:

It is not what I think it is what I know.
Do you know how dangerous a blizzard is?
Do you know what frostbite is?
For your information deaths are recorded due to harsh weather out there.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Broadenyourhori: 9:37am On Dec 12, 2019
onyxo76:
do you Nigerians based in places like UK, Dubai etc aside Nigeria get denied like those of us here

I can't talk about other countries but here in the UK, as long as you are legally here and have a job, the chances are high.... 80%. Except you are a risk to the US /citizens.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by micluv111: 9:53am On Dec 12, 2019
skdfu747:

So he was refused visa because of the weather condition in Minnesota?

Clap for yourself

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by micluv111: 9:54am On Dec 12, 2019
AfonjaBoston:

Na you dey mind potopoto yarns.

Infact the thing tire me grin
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Nabuuuuu: 1:02pm On Dec 12, 2019
Detailed comment and I concur. The man was talking and offering up documents no one asked for, which is a red flag on it's own. The child with Aunty I want nickledon, seemed like a bad nollywood movie. Not saying they are not genuine visitors, but I have worked with white people now for over 10 years and they will internally be rolling their eyes. Poster, Seye west idea is the best way to go.

groovychik:
My first UK visa interview was at 16 before the dropbox started and of course before Visa application centres. Prior to that my Mum was the one that usually gets my UK visas for me, being a minor. You see, I had been travelling to the UK since I was less than a year old so I was pretty confident and calm. I went in alone and had what I thought was a decent interview, the lady was smiling, we cracked a few jokes and at the end she gave me a rejection letter. I appealed, they sent a letter two months later to come submit my passport for the visa, I wrote back to tell them that my Mum who I was to travel with had gone and come back, thus, I was no longer interested in the Visa. The next year I went for a student's visa and I was borderline rude. Straight to the point, no smiling and of course I have never been rejected a UK visa since that first time. My point is that the VOs are not our friends. You have a great profile, but just like I was busy at 16 giving long answers and information I wasn't asked, you were talking too much. Stick to questions asked, do not add or subtract. With oyibos, less is more. You probably worked with them in Aberdeen so you know this. They see talking too much as us trying to hide our ulterior motives, instead of us just being enthusiastic. Your son's innocent comment would appear to them as coaching. That's how strait laced they are. During my US interview, I planned to smile because my friend told me to do so, cos I have a resting b....ch face. This particular VO denied 3 people
in less than 5 minutes while other VOs still had people in their fronts, so I couldnt even summon a smile. Good luck to you and more hugs for your child.

6 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Mancala: 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2019
wuki:

My cousins got a visa last week @ Lagos [b]to visit their sister for the holidays [/b]in Minnesota. What do you have to say to that? I have never heard of visa decisions predicated on weather. The embassy might as well deny visa applications in the winter depending on destination; after all, Minnesota doesn't have monopoly over freezing weather -- from New England/Connecticut/Massachusetts to Chicago, the story is the same. So I'm assuming if we are to go by your logic: people traveling to these parts of the U.S this time of the year automatically get denied because of inclement weather? C'mon.

The operative word here is conjunction! My supposition was not based solely on weather. It was in conjuction with the stated purpose of visit to the Mall of America /Nickeloden Universe. Visiting family ,as I mentioned, is one of the top reasons to visit the state, especially in the winter. Being familiar with that part of the country, I think it unusual (not implausible) to fly thousands of miles to Minnesota in the winter for a purpose that falls outside of the usual big winter attractions especially when there is a bigger, better and cheaper option in NJ.

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Mancala: 3:25pm On Dec 12, 2019
Semisolasola:
No be human being dey live there abi them dey relocate during cold season..make una stop all this speculation and. Assumption..the VO no just wan give..probably tired or not even in the mood or just reflex sef..

Yes, na human being dey live there. And as a matter of fact, those who can, do relocate during the winter season and come back in the summer. It's a very common practice. The Midwest/ Minnesota is not called fly over country for no reason.
As a casual observer, all I said was that the combination of destination and itinerary was not plausible enough to me. Under these circumstances, If one part of the story is in doubt, the entire house of cards is likely to come crashing down.

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by wuki: 4:45pm On Dec 12, 2019
Well I don’t agree with the argument about destination either: Minnesota vs New Jersey in your submission. That has already been heavily debated here. In fact someone was told on this same forum that their visa was denied because they were going to New Jersey. Again, those are baseless arguments but I’d rather not wake up sleeping dogs over this topic. Destination-based visa for whatever reason seems laughable at the very least. OP wasn’t *just* visiting Mall of America /Nickeloden Universe; he also said he was going on vacation (which I’m sure includes a good amount of indoor time given the season.) VO doesn’t get to decide how an applicant intends to “vacation.”

Mancala:

The operative word here is conjunction! My supposition was not based solely on weather. It was in conjuction with the stated purpose of visit to the Mall of America /Nickeloden Universe. Visiting family ,as I mentioned, is one of the top reasons to visit the state, especially in the winter. Being familiar with that part of the country, I think it unusual (not implausible) to fly thousands of miles to Minnesota in the winter for a purpose that falls outside of the usual big winter attractions especially when there is a bigger, better and cheaper option in NJ.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by crestedaguiyi: 4:59pm On Dec 12, 2019
pls can a first time traveller get a visa to attend conference in the US,to be sponsored by the company (employer)
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Mancala: 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
wuki:
Well I don’t agree with the argument about destination either: Minnesota vs New Jersey in your submission. That has already been heavily debated here. In fact someone was told on this same forum that their visa was denied because they were going to New Jersey. Again, those are baseless arguments but I’d rather not wake up sleeping dogs over this topic. Destination-based visa for whatever reason seems laughable at the very least. OP wasn’t *just* visiting Mall of America /Nickeloden Universe; he also said he was going on vacation (which I’m sure includes a good amount of indoor time given the season.) VO doesn’t get to decide how an applicant intends to “vacation.”

Your assertions are based on picking a single point in the array of evidence. Look at the complete picture. I am not saying destination is the only consideration. Question is what are you planning to do at the destination and does it sound reasonable. If you cannot be convincing enough on that simple point, how are they to believe you on your finances, assets, other ties to home country for which no evidence is being considered?
MN vs NJ is in relation to Nickelodeon universe. There is a bigger and better one in NJ. If your intent is to visit as a Nickelodeon fan, NJ is it. MN pales in comparison. I believe VO asked for additional itinerary for a reason.... what else are you coming for as your stated reason falls outside the bell curve? I read between the lines and thought the real question is ...do you have family here you intend visiting (y'all dont look like the winter activities crowd)? Why are you concealing that information from me if so? Those are logical next questions based on the situation.

"Destination-based visa for whatever reason seems laughable at the very least." This assertion is inaccurate in almost its entirety. At a visa interview, you will certainly be evaluated based on the law of averages concerning your destination. What does the average tourist go to do in MN? When do they go? If you fall outside the statistical bell curve, it makes sense to probe further for more details (what is your additional itinerary) ? If your response is not convincing or inconclusive, it is enough to create doubt in the mind of the interviewer.

"VO doesn’t get to decide how an applicant intends to “vacation.”... Yes, but visa officer makes a determination on immigration intent partially based on your stated vacation plans/how you said you want to vacation. If it doesnt hang together, there will be doubt. MN is known as a comparatively immigrant friendly state (even for illegals). Benefits are relatively easier to get and some jurisdictions disallow local law enforcement from asking for immigration status or holding suspects for ICE. You may not known these facts, but they may have been a possibe logical consideration for the VO based on intial doubts.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by AfonjaBoston: 5:58pm On Dec 12, 2019
skdfu747:

hahahahahaha. Quick reminder we are currently in the 21st century not 1776

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by AfonjaBoston: 6:05pm On Dec 12, 2019
Mancala:

what else are you coming for as your stated reason falls outside the bell curve?

. What does the average tourist go to do in MN? When do they go? If you fall outside the statistical bell curve

Is this immigration "bell curve" you are postulating on any government portal??

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Mancala: 6:36pm On Dec 12, 2019
AfonjaBoston:

Is this immigration "bell curve" you are postulating on any government portal??

Its not an immigration bell curve. I was referring to the historical range of tourist activites/reasons for visiting that are associated with a destination. For example, a tourist from Nigeria might say they want to visit a vineyard/winery in Wisconsin. There are vineyards in Wisconsin, but it is not wine country like California. That would be unusual without some further explanation and or reasons for being there. It is not known for its wineries in the grand scheme of things. Dairyland/cheese land, YES!

Why does this even matter? Because of a legal priciple called consular absolutism. In essence, it is the general doctrine that a consular officer’s decision to grant or deny a visa is not subject to judicial review. When a consular officer denies a visa, the visa applicant is generally without any recourse. Some applications may receive administrative review by the State department’s visa office but this is generally limited and can only occur when requested by a consular officer. A visa applicant has no right to request such review.

In essence, a VO has all the power to grant or deny! A gut feel is enough to trigger a denial without recourse. How much more a trip that does not conform with the usual norms and devoid of a reasonable explanation?

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by wuki: 7:03pm On Dec 12, 2019
You’re completely going on a tangent here. As someone pointed out earlier, I have no idea where folks come with certain theories: bell curve, sanctuary city, etc. California—and a host of other states—is also a sanctuary city welcoming to illegal immigrants. Not unique to MN. I am not questioning the specifics but then again you are reading WAY too much into this. Might as well ask OP to have applied to a different state with a higher likelihood of securing a visa. That’s sort of the crust of your argument — a better part of it was spent educating us about MN. So best to avoid applying for visa to MN moving forward.

Edit: the so-called “statistical bell curve” with all the unique info for every city/state, I would want to assume VO pulls this up every time a candidate shows up at the window. Let me see: this is probably one of the many things they might be looking up behind the computer screen during a 2-minute interview?

Mancala:

Your assertions are based on picking a single point in the array of evidence. Look at the complete picture. I am not saying destination is the only consideration. Question is what are you planning to do at the destination and does it sound reasonable. If you cannot be convincing enough on that simple point, how are they to believe you on your finances, assets, other ties to home country for which no evidence is being considered?
MN vs NJ is in relation to Nickelodeon universe. There is a bigger and better one in NJ. If your intent is to visit as a Nickelodeon fan, NJ is it. MN pales in comparison. I believe VO asked for additional itinerary for a reason.... what else are you coming for as your stated reason falls outside the bell curve? I read between the lines and thought the real question is ...do you have family here you intend visiting (y'all dont look like the winter activities crowd)? Why are you concealing that information from me if so? Those are logical next questions based on the situation.

"Destination-based visa for whatever reason seems laughable at the very least." This assertion is inaccurate in almost its entirety. At a visa interview, you will certainly be evaluated based on the law of averages concerning your destination. What does the average tourist go to do in MN? When do they go? If you fall outside the statistical bell curve, it makes sense to probe further for more details (what is your additional itinerary) ? If your response is not convincing or inconclusive, it is enough to create doubt in the mind of the interviewer.

"VO doesn’t get to decide how an applicant intends to “vacation.”... Yes, but visa officer makes a determination on immigration intent partially based on your stated vacation plans/how you said you want to vacation. If it doesnt hang together, there will be doubt. MN is known as a comparatively immigrant friendly state (even for illegals). Benefits are relatively easier to get and some jurisdictions disallow local law enforcement from asking for immigration status or holding suspects for ICE. You may not known these facts, but they may have been a possibe logical consideration for the VO based on intial doubts.

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Spanishmilf(m): 7:11pm On Dec 12, 2019
Na weather dey cause many gbas gbos here grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (252)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.