Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,208 members, 7,780,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:17 PM

Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me (6015 Views)

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Nigerians This Is Canada Right Now, Would You Still Travel If Granted Visa? / How Much Is Canada Visa Fee In Nigeria 2018? – Check Out Visa Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 12:41am On Mar 28, 2019
Someone please educate me!!! [Mods, if you feel this thread is a distraction, you can kindly close it - No worries ]

Canada is very welcoming to Immigrants & allowed professionals to freely come in via the PR programme & become a citizen in 3 years.
Canadians want new Immigrants who are Doctors, Accountants & all other Professionals in their field but want them to do menial jobs.

Over the course of some months from deep research, I have found out that a lot of Nigerians who live their Bank work, Businesses etc travel over to Canada to either become Cab drivers or Security guards.

Knowing you have to pay for rent for a couple few months when you get there as a PR immigrant before eventually getting a job (IF you actually get). The money you take with you isn't actually enough in most cases.

Even after going to School for MSC, there is no guarantee that the Jobs are waiting for you. As there are a lot of immigrants Trooping in daily.
If you don’t do menial jobs, Drive Trucks, Cab Driving, Security Guards as the stories I have heard.

Is there any one here who actually made it easy & straight forward being in Canada without doing Unskilled jobs?

Please kindly indicate.

3 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by NaijaFutbol: 1:34am On Mar 28, 2019
Ok o
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by NaijaFutbol: 1:41am On Mar 28, 2019
truthsayer009:
Someone please educate me!!! [Mods, if you feel this thread is a distraction, you can kindly close it - No worries ]

Canada is very welcoming to Immigrants & allowed professionals to freely come in via the PR programme & become a citizen in 3 years.
Canadians want new Immigrants who are Doctors, Accountants & all other Professionals in their field but want them to do menial jobs.

Over the course of some months from deep research, I have found out that a lot of Nigerians who live their Bank work, Businesses etc travel over to Canada to either become Cab drivers or Security guards.

Knowing you have to pay for rent for a couple few months when you get there as a PR immigrant before eventually getting a job (IF you actually get). The money you take with you isn't actually enough in most cases.

Even after going to School for MSC, there is no guarantee that the Jobs are waiting for you. As there are a lot of immigrants Trooping in daily.
If you don’t do menial jobs, Drive Trucks, Cab Driving, Security Guards as the stories I have heard.

Is there any one here who actually made it easy & straight forward being in Canada without doing Unskilled jobs?

Please kindly indicate.

1. I doubt you did any research on skilled immigrants migrating to Canada

2. It is not easy anywhere. How easy is it for MSc graduates to get a job in Nigeria?

3. You didn’t see or at least hear of MSc holders applying to drive trucks for Dangote. At least you don’t need to suffocate to drive truck in Canada.

4. Then, how safe is the small money you make in Nigeria? Robbery, kidnapping, and violence everywhere.

5. Finally, how good are our hospitals? Not to talk of useless government who collect utility bills without providing anything.

My brother, if you want it easy in life, just remain a baby!

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by mismarshal(f): 3:49am On Mar 28, 2019
We moved to Ontario, Canada on the 29th of December and we do not regret the move at all.

My husband got a very good job after his first interview. He did not have any Canadian education or work experience and did not have to do any menial job.

I advise you do your research properly before landing. Where you settle and the people you interact with will determine to a large extent how far you will go in Canada. Prayer and trust in God also helped us alot.

It is not easy settling in a new country but it is possible to have a great life here.

I wish you all the best.

truthsayer009:

Please kindly indicate.

17 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 28, 2019
mismarshal:
We moved to Ontario, Canada on the 29th of December and we do not regret the move at all.

My husband got a very good job after his first interview. He did not have any Canadian education or work experience and did not have to do any menial job.

I advise you do your research properly before landing. Where you settle and the people you interact with will determine to a large extent how far you will go in Canada. Prayer and trust in God also helped us alot.

It is not easy settling in a new country but it is possible to have a great life here.

I wish you all the best.

Sorry Ma'am, please what is the occupation of your hubby? Doctor, Physician, Engineer?
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by youngsahito(m): 9:57am On Mar 28, 2019
mismarshal:

I wish you all the best.

was it a family visa that you obtained? pls can u enlighten me on the process of visa that u did.
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by mismarshal(f): 3:30pm On Mar 28, 2019
We got our permanent residency via the express entry process. We can live and work in Canada with our PR.
youngsahito:
was it a family visa that you obtained? pls can u enlighten me on the process of visa that u did.

1 Like

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by mismarshal(f): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2019
My husband is an IT Business Analyst.
truthsayer009:

Sorry Ma'am, please what is the occupation of your hubby? Doctor, Physician, Engineer?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Mizwisdom(f): 4:07pm On Mar 28, 2019
smiley Bye!
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by salford: 4:53pm On Mar 28, 2019
truthsayer009:

These are regulated professions. It might not be easy for them in the first few years, but once they get certified, They will be laughing.

1 Like

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by lindaayim(f): 5:03pm On Mar 28, 2019
truthsayer009:

Please kindly indicate.
Reading your post i came up with some advice for you. Though i live in USA not Canada, the two countries are somehow similar
a. Not every new immigrant does menial Jobs. AT the same time a few are lucky to get jobs with qualifications from a foreign country like Nigeria.
b. Most employers especially in big cities look out for outstanding people to employ mostly with home (Canada in this case) experience and educational experiences. though not all.
c. Generally a smaller city or suburb may be easier to get skilled Jobs with a foreign degree if you can convince your employers about your experience and abilities compared to the mega cities where there is more competition
c. Where you live and who you live with determines how you integrate into a system. Some will tell you i started off as a cab driver, security guard or working in grocery store before going to school to become a doctor, nurse, engineer etc....so there is the tendency for you to follow such since their progression is convincing.
d. MSC may not necessarily give you a Job easily as you think. It has to be backed up with your ability and experience, mostly Canadian Experience.
e. You can live a decent life doing Menial Job but you don't want to do such for a long time.
My Opinion: It is easier to get a job if you school in Canada as compared to coming in with a foreign degree. A Few people with foreign degree who are lucky also get jobs. Think about it and draw your conclusions from my opinion if you wish.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by youngsahito(m): 10:31pm On Mar 28, 2019
mismarshal:
We got our permanent residency via the express entry process. We can live and work in Canada with our PR.
can you tell me how you did the processing...pls
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Saintp(m): 10:33pm On Mar 28, 2019
Are people still not tired of this stupid argument that shows up on nairaland all the time? Immediately this thread closes, another one will spring up again with the same content and the argument starts all over again.

17 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by lonelydude: 4:53am On Mar 29, 2019
truthsayer009:

Please kindly indicate.

My dear,

I understand your feeling about this but from what I have noticed for the few weeks I have been here:

There are some list of jobs that are in high demand over here and THESE JOBS ARE IN MOST OF THE CITIES BEGGING TO BE FILLED. However, that doesn't mean it will be easy to take up such position. The right candidates with the requisite skills are required.
Any PR candidate that can prove his worth will most likely get hired but it's always a good idea to get a bit of Canadian education/training no matter how small. Menial jobs you do are Canadian experience too because you can learn some work culture from bottom up.

There is nothing wrong with the menial jobs except for the minimum wage it pays.You can however, still have a decent life, like someone said above, pending when a professional job come your way. It may also be wise to save some cash to enable you enroll in some short courses to at least get a Canadian training/education.

Most importantly, be prayerful and make friends with people no matter their status.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 29, 2019
[i][/i]
Saintp:
Are people still not tired of this stupid argument that shows up on nairaland all the time? Immediately this thread closes, another one will spring up again with the same content and the argument starts all over again.

It's not an argument whether Canada is good or not. We all know Canada is good, I'm talking about Job Prospects.
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by mismarshal(f): 7:20pm On Mar 30, 2019
Every detail you need can be gotten in this thread :

https://www.nairaland.com/5031893/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

youngsahito:
can you tell me how you did the processing...pls

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Abbeycity123: 7:18am On Jul 20, 2019
well op, I think most people here start out with a survival job for about 2-4 months before landing their dream jobs. Ofcourse its different experience for different people. My first job wasn't survival job at all, and I got it 6 days after landing. its not all bed of roses though. but overall, its worth all the efforts. I am currently working in the same field I was in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 20, 2019
Never been a fan of Canada.
Team USA! Land of the free

1 Like

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2019
Abbeycity123:
well op, I think most people here start out with a survival job for about 2-4 months before landing their dream jobs. Ofcourse its different experience for different people. My first job wasn't survival job at all, and I got it 6 days after landing. its not all bed of roses though. but overall, its worth all the efforts. I am currently working in the same field I was in Nigeria.
What job is that?
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Stewart883(m): 1:26pm On Jul 20, 2019
@OP I used to have the same thoughts too (I still do). I currently work in Singapore! Strangely enough I got the job in Nigeria ( 3 months ago with a Nigerian degree)... When I was in Nigeria I always dreamt about moving to Canada but felt it's more like every Nigerian wants to/planning to move there! So I turned my attention elsewhere!! Here the pay is something else! I never ever imagined in my entire life that I would be earning so much!! Canada sorry to say is indeed overrated although they have a very high HDI. But u can try the express entry and see how it goes.

5 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Divine200: 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2019
Stewart883:
@OP I used to have the same thoughts too (I still do). I currently work in Singapore! Strangely enough I got the job in Nigeria ( 3 months ago with a Nigerian degree)... When I was in Nigeria I always dreamt about moving to Canada but felt it's more like every Nigerian wants to/planning to move there! So I turned my attention elsewhere!! Here the pay is something else! I never ever imagined in my entire life that I would be earning so much!! Canada sorry to say is indeed overrated although they have a very high HDI. But u can try the express entry and see how it goes.
Please throw more light on the job, how you applied, your profession, your experience and your qualifications?

1 Like

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Suspect33(m): 5:35pm On Jul 20, 2019
lonelydude:

My dear,

I understand your feeling about this but from what I have noticed for the few weeks I have been here:

There are some list of jobs that are in high demand over here and THESE JOBS ARE IN MOST OF THE CITIES BEGGING TO BE FILLED. However, that doesn't mean it will be easy to take up such position. The right candidates with the requisite skills are required.
Any PR candidate that can prove his worth will most likely get hired but it's always a good idea to get a bit of Canadian education/training no matter how small. Menial jobs you do are Canadian experience too because you can learn some work culture from bottom up.

There is nothing wrong with the menial jobs except for the minimum wage it pays.You can however, still have a decent life, like someone said above, pending when a professional job come your way. It may also be wise to save some cash to enable you enroll in some short courses to at least get a Canadian training/education.

Most importantly, be prayerful and make friends with people no matter their status.
and what are these jobs begging to be filled up, forgive my curiosity
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Ugosample(m): 7:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
ViceChief:
Never been a fan of Canada. Team USA! Land of the free
the problem is
there is a straight path for Canada
but none for the USA
that is why people are doing Canada

5 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Stewart883(m): 7:45pm On Jul 20, 2019
Divine200:

Please throw more light on the job, how you applied, your profession, your experience and your qualifications?

I'm a full stack developer with over 6 years experience. Got the job via LinkedIn. I work for a software company in Singapore. I actually studied Economics at the University of Portharcourt but decided after graduation to be a Full stack developer.

3 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by queengift(f): 8:05pm On Jul 20, 2019
Stewart883:

I'm a full stack developer with over 6 years experience. Got the job via LinkedIn. I work for a software company in Singapore. I actually studied Economics at the University of Portharcourt but decided after graduation to be a Full stack developer.

Congrats bro, am happy for you, I never knew one can get a job in Singapore from Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2019
queengift:

Congrats bro, am happy for you, I never knew one can get a job in Singapore from Nigeria.
Very possible if you have the right skills. I have friends who are working with Singaporean companies but they are all marine engineers. I too got a job with an Australian company but left it for my startup.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by bebe2(f): 8:50pm On Jul 20, 2019
ViceChief:
Never been a fan of Canada.
Team USA! Land of the free

land of the free until u get shot, or a fellow pupil takes a gun in class and kills a all the children there. what if
yours is among??

abi na land of free until u do one small syurgery and u have to sell ur house to pay for the hospital bill.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Ugosample(m): 9:05pm On Jul 20, 2019
bebe2:

land of the free until u get shot, or a fellow pupil takes a gun in class and kills a all the children there. what if
yours is among??

abi na land of free until u do one small syurgery and u have to sell ur house to pay for the hospital bill.

it's still land of the free...............

MARKET tongue cheesy
Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by spamboot: 9:30pm On Jul 20, 2019
Please can you share the connection, though not an experienced developer.
Stewart883:

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2019
bebe2:

yours is among??

are you a US citizen or PR?

1 Like

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 20, 2019
bebe2:

yours is among??

if you have ever been denied a US visa and you come here to say trash about the US,then your opinion about the USA is irrelevant.
Believe it or Not, USA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD AND WILL REMAIN SO. ASK THE CITIZENS OF THE CANADA YOU SEEKING FOR AGENT TO TRAVEL TO, THEY WILL CONFIRM MY STATEMENT.

6 Likes

Re: Is Canada Really Worth It? Someone Please Educate Me by Stewart883(m): 11:23pm On Jul 20, 2019
queengift:

It's very possible. I didn't believe it too, but it happens.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport / A List Of Must Have Before You Travel Out To Canada / How To Study Free In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.