Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29722 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 13, 2010
chika98:

Cut your hair and do a "punk" fro on it. LOL
Rock it well and watch everyone want one too. I will cut my hair but not right now. . . . When I get a bit older I reckon cheesy

Yeye girl tongue tongue tongue You want me to cut my hair but are reluctant to cut yours huh? grin grin grin

Do you mean like the short cut will be high in front and faded at the back? kinda like Grace Jones in the 80s? I kinda dig that.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by chika98: 1:54am On Sep 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Yeye girl tongue tongue tongue You want me to cut my hair but are reluctant to cut yours huh? grin grin grin

Do you mean like the short cut will be high in front and faded at the back? kinda like Grace Jones in the 80s? I kinda dig that.

Yup! Just like that. Nah I am not reluctant. . It is something I will do for sure! Just waiting till later
Plus I'd put two lines on each side grin grin I can totally picture it. . it will be so RAD! wink cool
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Sissy3(f): 7:02am On Sep 14, 2010
*Hauwa*:

Shaved my hair last week. i don't have 200 dollars for or even 40 bucks for hair
i feel good. i just love the way it feels when showering grin

reminds me of the good ol days of secondary school commando cut not even low cut
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:15am On Sep 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Yes o! My mum said she would disown me if I cut my hair grin grin grin Anyway I want to cut it jare so that I can just wash my hair everyday. So how do you dress the low cut up? do you wear makeup and big earrings? I dont wear makeup and wear stud earrings so with a low cut im thinking that will not be a good look grin grin grin

Oh and your baby is cute by the way smiley smiley

I am also not a big earring girl, I got the boyish look going because I wear studs as well, I make sure my brows and eyes are done nicely (mascara and add a bit of colour on the brows) and also apply a little lipstick but that is about it. I am not the girly type so the boy look suits me just fine! cheesy

Thanks on the baby. . . . wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 14, 2010
chika98:

Yup! Just like that. Nah I am not reluctant. . It is something I will do for sure! Just waiting till later
Plus I'd put two lines on each side grin grin I can totally picture it. . it will be so RAD! wink cool

That would definitely be an option for me in the near future. grin grin

SA Goddess:

I am also not a big earring girl, I got the boyish look going because I wear studs as well, I make sure my brows and eyes are done nicely (mascara and add a bit of colour on the brows) and also apply a little lipstick but that is about it. I am not the girly type so the boy look suits me just fine! cheesy

Thanks on the baby. . . . wink

Im a tomboy myself so I can make it work. So do you dress like a girly girl or a boyly girl? grin grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 12:49pm On Sep 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

That would definitely be an option for me in the near future. grin grin

Im a tomboy myself so I can make it work. So do you dress like a girly girl or a boyly girl? grin grin

I dress like a "boyly" girl, always in pants and people actully get a shock seeing me in skirts, they want to know why I hide such gorgeous legs, LOL, but I dress to be comfortable so pants work best for me!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by mohawkchic(f): 1:24pm On Sep 14, 2010
~I can totally relate to some of the curious "Why-Would/Did-You-Cut-Your-Hair"  queries from average nobody's to some distant Family/ Relative members who  gives the impression you have to run it by them to  experiment with your hair!! Crates on me nerves i tell you!! In my case it went as far as people asking me Hubby why did you allow her to cut her hair like that! The Nerve!!

~Why should I feel the need to give an explanation or reason behind me doing something to my own head! I try not to rise to some of the queries! My responses if i happen to give any usually Depends on who's asking & the tone of their enquries. . .if it's one of those Turn-Up-Your-Nose-Up-At-Me enquires,I dont pass up on giving some backhand comment! Like what's my hair got to do with you?  I just love the look on their faces then! Classic!!

~My Immediate family are pretty much use to me & my sudden impulses to experiment with my hair! I've been cutting/colouring my hair since i was like 16 (Jeez seems like eons ago) It usually takes several blinks or for them to adjust to the "New" me!

~I have to say tho. . .Some of my hairstyles have been a ball-ache for me mam!! Most especially The Mohawk haircut!! It was kind of hard for me Mam to just blink or Raise an Eyebrow!! We dont reside in the same country so she was clueless about my latest hairstyle! She was asking me for recent pics to email some distant relatives she'd just got in touch with!! SoOoo I sent her pics of me wearing the Mohawk haircut! Need i say she didnt ask me for pics no more? She was like " NoOooo!! What wud the parents at Sch think?" Me son was in Nursery at the time. . . I'm like "Really!! Who cares! Na who get time for ask dem sef"  The kids think i'm the coolest Mam ever!! I use to have some of  the older kids in the sch wait for me by the gate just to catch a glimpse or ask to touch my hair You'll think she'll be relived when i shaved my head! "Why did she have to shine the head like that ?" she'll moan to my sis. . .

~She sent me a bunch of wigs!! If she was trying to tell  me something in a subtle way,i acknowledged it but it didnt even register. . .I gave them away just as soon as i had them! I'm sure they make a good home where they are!

~I wont bang on about me & my numerous hair experiments as i've already discussed it on this thread . . https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-121936.0.html#msg2081605

~What Hairstyles Ave You Tried & Loved Or Regret Ever Trying?~  nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-121936.0.htlm

~I'm most comfy with little or no hair. . .other than the obvious reason i rock it well, I cant be arzed with Wash then Blowdry,Straighten/Tong or STyle necessities of looking after me natural hair so I opt  for the most easy option. . . Low-Maintenance-Wash & Go-No-Need-To-Comb-Or-Brush. .  .

~I reckon i'll be shaving my hair till i'm all greyed out! On ocassion,I sometimes feel the need for a change. . then my two options are Pick & Drop Braids or Extensions either Bonded or Fushion. However they wont last for long! I always feel like i've got some major itch going on. . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Hauwa1: 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2010
~Sissy~:

reminds me of the good ol days of secondary school commando cut not even low cut
grin grin

yeah, i just afaried it. i tire grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2010
SA Goddess:

I dress like a "boyly" girl, always in pants and people actully get a shock seeing me in skirts, they want to know why I hide such gorgeous legs, LOL, but I dress to be comfortable so pants work best for me!

Girl dont hide your legs, you are only young once grin grin

Hey MohawkC

Longest times. smiley
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by mohawkchic(f): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Hey MohawkC

Longest times. smiley

~Hey You

~It has been! How You been?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 14, 2010
smileyI have been fine hun, Real life took over smiley. Hope you are well as well.

I want to shave my hair but my Bro is telling me my BF will run away lol can you imagine? shocked grin grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by mohawkchic(f): 2:30pm On Sep 14, 2010
~ As It shud be! Good to  know you've been well & Okay tho. . .I've been doing Good too. . Just the usual Minutiae of everday life!

~Oh Lawdy! You got me so hard . . .

~I cant Imagine your Bf running away if you shave your hair! But dont take  my word for it O!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 2:31pm On Sep 14, 2010
grin  @Mohawk being sent a selection of wigs, family member was worried you had lost "the woman" in you!

Ebonyeyes:

smileyI have been fine hun, Real life took over smiley. Hope you are well as well.

I want to shave my hair but my Bro is telling me my BF will run away lol can you imagine? shocked grin grin

hahahahhaha, my guy asked "why did you cut your hair again"? said to him, "this is IT, this is ME"  he did not have a come back for that!  cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 14, 2010
mohawkchic:

~ As It shud be! Good to  know you've been well & Okay tho. . .I've been doing Good too. . Just the usual Minutiae of everday life!

~Oh Lawdy! You got me so hard . . .

~I cant Imagine your Bf running away if you shave your hair! But dont take  my word for it O!

I hear you about life hope you and family are fine sha smiley

My dear I dont know again o!! I kinda brushed the topic on the BF and he was like "well Lesbians will fancy you" WTF does that mean? grin grin

SA Goddess:

grin  @Mohawk being sent a selection of wigs, family member was worried you had lost "the woman" in you!

hahahahhaha, my guy asked "why did you cut your hair again"? said to him, "this is IT, this is ME"  he did not have a come back for that!  cheesy  

I guess men have been brainwashed into the long hair makes a beautiful woman hollywood stereotype. Most of those locs these celebrities are rocking are fake anyway.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by mohawkchic(f): 2:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
~SA Goddess. . . tell me about it! Me Mam just likes to get on me case about me Hair! Me i'm not She's resigned to the fact there's no encouraging me to be all "Womanly" I'm sure is she cud,she'll wish I have an awkward looking head!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2010
True that the long celebrity "hair" is fake. . . . .men have been brainwashed and they think every woman should fit the mould! Nice to see there are women like US who won't conform to any of that nonsense, MORE power!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by mohawkchic(f): 2:53pm On Sep 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

I hear you about life hope you and family are fine sha smiley

My dear I dont know again o!! I kinda brushed the topic on the BF and he was like "well Lesbians will fancy you" WTF does that mean? grin grin

I guess men have been brainwashed into the long hair makes a beautiful woman hollywood stereotype. Most of those locs these celebrities are rocking are fake anyway.

~All's good with family,Ta. for asking! I trust Yours are as well?

~He aint lying either!! People tend to tag Chics with Skinned/ Shaved head easily !! And Yes You will most likely get hit on By Lesbians! Rumour mill had a fair share of Me erh "Bating For Both Sides"
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 4:08pm On Sep 14, 2010
I am truly enjoying the posts here. I've gone through what most of u guys have gone thru but with a few ppl.

When i went most natural, most ppl loved it. I guess its because of where i live there are alot of naturals who rock different styles so the ppls around here are used to it. my mother didn't know i was going natural because i was just braiding my hair. then when i stopped the braid, i would flat iron every 2 wks to blend my natural roots with my relaxed ends. that was easy until summer came around because my hair would get poofy the min i went outside. so i went back to braids until the summer of '09. then i chopped suddenly bcuz i was eager to see my natural hair and was tired of the relaxed ends getting tangled. Its been a journey and countinues to be sometimes.

My hair has been doing good so far, i love it. I sometimes get ignorant and shady comments. I dont' want to sound snotty are anything, but being african, ppl start giving u the side-eye because in there mind, how can an african girl grow such nice hair and when i flat iron it, it looks so nice. I guess they expect me to have iron strong hair that doesn't grow bcuz im not mix with the 500 things they are "mixed" with. sometimes they do not get it. all u need to do is take care of your hair.

SA Goddess:

What do you mean, did you not go ahead with it?

@ naija _diva - how long have you had your natural hair for? What do you do to it, plait or do you wear it as is most times? I am trying to get ideas so I know what I can do with mine but I must say it is not the softest, it will be nice when it's grown but I don't know how I am going to get through the next couple of months. . . . .I want to go natural with all my heart so all suggestions are welcome! THis is a journey for me!

I've been 100% natural for a lil over a yr now. I wore braids(with extentions) up untl april/may. From may - last month (august) I wore my hair in 2-strand twist (that i do myself bcuz they're expensive to do). I got a full weave last month, didn't like it and it itched so i took them out on friday. washed, conditioned, and flat ironed my hair. so now my hair is straight. I plan to wear my hair straight for a while.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 4:22pm On Sep 14, 2010
and to get "soft" or manageable hair, make sure to deep condition your hair everytime u wash your hair. that is important and alot of ppl tend to skip that step and wonder why their hair is dry. u get a large amount of moisture from your deep condition. leave ins and moisturizers do help but they do not get to the root of the problem.

There are many ways to deep condition:

1. Condition over night with a plastic cap
2. condition with conditioner and oil (i use coconut oil) with plastic cap and heat.
3. Use conditioner by itself with plastic cap and heat
4. Condition without heat
5. condition on dry hair (not so common)

#2 gives me the best outcome but i do the other ways too, just depends on time and how i feel. but i leave the conditioner in my hair for a min of 1hr.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 14, 2010
SA Goddess:

True that the long celebrity "hair" is fake. . . . .men have been brainwashed and they think every woman should fit the mould! Nice to see there are women like US who won't conform to any of that nonsense, MORE power!

Yes o its nice. I mean how long should media determine what our hair should look like? Natural hair grows so well and thinking back, it wasnt that difficult to maintain. I want my fro back grin grin

mohawkchic:

~All's good with family,Ta. for asking! I trust Yours are as well?

~He aint lying either!! People tend to tag Chics with Skinned/ Shaved head easily !! And Yes You will most likely get hit on By Lesbians! Rumour mill had a fair share of Me erh "Bating For Both Sides"

grin grin grin Oh well prolly will keep the BF on his toes then grin grin

naija_diva:

and to get "soft" or manageable hair, make sure to deep condition your hair everytime u wash your hair. that is important and alot of ppl tend to skip that step and wonder why their hair is dry. u get a large amount of moisture from your deep condition. leave ins and moistures do help but they do not get to the root of the problem.

2. condition with oil (i use coconut oil) with plastic cap and heat.
3. Use condition by itself with plastic cap and heat

#3 gives me the best outcome but i do the other ways too, just depends on time and how i feel. but i leave the conditioner in my hair for a min of 1hr.

I did number 3 once and my hair was like silk. I actually slept with it and wow my hair felt amazing the next day.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 4:46pm On Sep 14, 2010
^^^ i edited my previous post to say #2 instead of #3, but i think u get the point. wink

Its good that u got amazing results. if u keep it up, you'll be surprised at what your hair can become, i know i am! cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:35am On Sep 15, 2010
naija_diva:

and to get "soft" or manageable hair, make sure to deep condition your hair everytime u wash your hair. that is important and alot of ppl tend to skip that step and wonder why their hair is dry. u get a large amount of moisture from your deep condition. leave ins and moistures do help but they do not get to the root of the problem.

2. condition with oil (i use coconut oil) with plastic cap and heat.
3. Use condition by itself with plastic cap and heat

#2 gives me the best outcome but i do the other ways too, just depends on time and how i feel. but i leave the conditioner in my hair for a min of 1hr.

Thanks girl for the conditioning tips, they will definitely come in handy. My worry is "what am I going to do with my hair before it gets long enough to braid"? cry I am so looking forward to twisting it without extensions!

@ Ebonyeyes - I am so getting my fro back, back to basics! cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 3:08pm On Sep 15, 2010
I had to go back to edit my posts because they had too many typos and I wanted to make sure I was clear of what i was trying to say. I hope i didn't confuse yall.

^^^ @ SA Goddess

If you have a TWA, thats still good. take care of it just like you would long hair. shampoo, condition, and moisturizer. by the time you know it, you'll grow enough hair to braid with. If remember correctly in the posts above, you dont wear much make up and jewelry, and thats cool, neither do I. Sometimes when u have short natural, u want to avoid looking like a guy, i have those days too. Make by u could dress up more, where lip gloss/lip stick, and some mascara. If you are just going to work, store, wherever, wear some nice shiny studs or hoop earrings (if u like those). when going out to dinner or something, if you like, wear some dangaling earring. alot of short-hair naturals wear hair candies like head bands, clips, and they look cute and they dont cost alot.

Im just throwing some ideas out there for those who are also interested.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by oluite(f): 3:53pm On Sep 15, 2010
@S A goddess
I av grown my hair again unfortunately i have a tough hair to manage in its natural state.its so tough and full,it is so bad that anyone that weaves it in its natural state always forms busy if i come back another time.Anyway i have relaxed it again but i use relaxer on my hair only 4 times a year to reduce hair damage.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:30am On Sep 16, 2010
oluite:

@S A goddess
I av grown my hair again unfortunately i have a tough hair to manage in its natural state.its so tough and full,it is so bad that anyone that weaves it in its natural state always forms busy if i come back another time.Anyway i have relaxed it again but i use relaxer on my hair only 4 times a year to reduce hair damage.

I can definitely relate to unmanageable hair in its natural state but I am going to try it for a bit longer this time around. I also have been relaxing my hair every three months to avoid hair damage, the rest of the time it would be plaited/braided.

I must say my hair is growing pretty nicely, been two weeks since I cut it! Can't wait for it to be nice and thick, will start conditioning it while still short so I can manage it from the beginning! I am so determined!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by oluite(f): 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2010
^I can see ur determination.I know u will be successfull.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 1:00pm On Sep 20, 2010
@ Ebonyeyes, I am learning to show some leg from time to time, also realising I won't be young forever so this summer and for as long as I can, I plan to wear a pair of gorgeous shorts! cheesy

@oluite
For sure girl, I am so determined, I am going to make it happen!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 5:10pm On Sep 20, 2010
oluite:

@S A goddess

Sweetie, your hair is never bad, it just needs some TLC. wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 7:11pm On Sep 20, 2010
Just wondering, do all of you ladies use commercial hair products or homemade hair products?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:33am On Sep 21, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Just wondering, do all of you ladies use commercial hair products or homemade hair products?

I use commercial hair products girl, I am taking this a stage at a time, maybe one day I will get to home-made products. As a matter of fact, I got myself a Dark & Lovely Moisture-riser over the weekend, I like it. I think I will be using that and Organic Hair Products as they are readily available!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 7:43am On Sep 21, 2010
@SA Goddess, so you didn't try the Paltas?

Sorry about the pic, I did not get round to doing the cane row.

Dark & Lovely is very popular in the UK.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:55am On Sep 21, 2010
@Madlady

No hun, I didn't, not sure where I will find it where I stay, maybe if I go to my hairdresser I will get it in the area but she stays far from me. My moisture-riser was finished so needed something right quick!

D&L is also popular here (good brand I might add), I am moving more towards Organic Hair Products though (the ready-made ones)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From MBGN 2014 / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS] / Fashion Or Madness? Lady Seen Wearing A Jump Suit, Which Covers Part Of Her Bum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.