Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,550 members, 7,809,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29742 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:15am On Sep 21, 2010
^^
It's not expensive, if you do come across it give it a try. I actually think it changes the texture of the hair to the extent that it does not need  straightening of any kind. My mum's hair looks really great, she's used for about 4 years.

I love the natural  stuff also (not for my hair though) I've just found this great girl who makes Shea butter products, they are fantastic.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:24am On Sep 21, 2010
Thanks Madlady, I will go to the Nigerian ladies (45 mins from where I stay) and see if I can get it but I don't know many Naija shops around!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:47am On Sep 21, 2010
^^

Do you have any shops that sell hair products for black people? they may have it.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:02am On Sep 21, 2010
I will go to Zambian shops and see if they have it, sounds like a nice product to have especially if it softens the hair so beautifully!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Just wondering, do all of you ladies use commercial hair products or homemade hair products?

I use commercial products bcuz its cheaper for me and i get more. I've never used homemade products bcuz those are for eating, we are in a recession, LOL but i've used "natutal commerical products" meaning products i could get in store and online (mostly) that contain natural ingredients. Shipping and handling was costing too much and the actual product. the products worked but like i said, we are in a recession lol. so now i go to the store and buy my stuff there and beside it saves me major time.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 5:58pm On Sep 21, 2010
naija_diva:

I use commercial products bcuz its cheaper for me and i get more. I've never used homemade products bcuz those are for eating, we are in a recession, LOL but i've used "natutal commerical products" meaning products i could get in store and online (mostly) that contain natural ingredients. Shipping and handling was costing too much and the actual product. the products worked but like i said, we are in a recession lol. so now i go to the store and buy my stuff there and beside it saves me major time.

lol, what do you mean for eating? I don't eat shea butter or lavender oil lol. I have some commercial hair produts that I bought last semester. I was gonna use them but forgot about it. As I'm writing this, I still haven't used them. I usually stick with the homemade stuff that I make. I still have jars and bottles of Qhemet Biologics, Aubrey Organics, Curls, and Jane Carter Solution. I even have jars of the discontinued Garnier Soft Curl hair cream undecided. Nowadays I just stick to making my own hair butter, pomades, gels and soaps. Seems a lot cheaper for me to make my own  stuff than to buy it in stores.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 9:38pm On Sep 21, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

lol, what do you mean for eating? I don't eat shea butter or lavender oil lol. I have some commercial hair produts that I bought last semester. I was gonna use them but forgot about it. As I'm writing this, I still haven't used them. I usually stick with the homemade stuff that I make. I still have jars and bottles of Qhemet Biologics, Aubrey Organics, Curls, and Jane Carter Solution. I even have jars of the discontinued Garnier Soft Curl hair cream undecided. Nowadays I just stick to making my own hair butter, pomades, gels and soaps. Seems a lot cheaper for me to make my own stuff than to buy it in stores.

lol, sorry. when u said homemade, im thinking like avocado/mayo/honey treatments. those kinds. i have shea butter, lanvender oil, peppermint oil, coconut oil, and jamaican black castor oil. I dont really make any "homemade" out of them. I just add them to my hair conditioner to add moisture and slip. I was using aubrey organics honeysuckle rose. It was good but Idk, i wanted to try out conditioners and i was tired of ordering online. shoot, u can send those products my way. lol jk
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:45pm On Sep 21, 2010
naija_diva:

lol, sorry. when u said homemade, im thinking like avocado/mayo/honey treatments. those kinds. i have shea butter, lanvender oil, peppermint oil, coconut oil, and jamaican black castor oil. I dont really make any "homemade" out of them. I just add them to my hair conditioner to add moisture and slip. I was using aubrey organics honeysuckle rose. It was good but Idk, i wanted to try out conditioners and i was tired of ordering online. shoot, u can send those products my way. lol jk

lol, I was referring to using fruits and honey as well. I don't know about the mayo part though. I'm too much of a fatass to use fruits. I'd rather eat it than put it in my hair grin. The thought of putting bananas or an avacado in my hair kinda makes me sad because I know its not going in my stomach. I don't mind using honey or olive oil though. Eventually, I'm gonna try using those in my hair.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 9:50pm On Sep 21, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

lol, I was referring to using fruits and honey as well. I don't know about the mayo part though. I'm too much of a fatass to use fruits. I'd rather eat it than put it in my hair grin. The thought of putting bananas or an avacado in my hair kinda makes me sad because I know its not going in my stomach. I don't mind using honey or olive oil though. Eventually, I'm gonna try using those in my hair.

lol i know. i can't do. I've always wanted to try olive oil on my hair but its too darn expensive to be wasting on hair. My mom buys oilve oil by the gallons and i keep eyeing it with thoughts of using it as a hot oil treatment but i kno mama will not like that grin. so i stick to coconut oil which is good too.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:56pm On Sep 21, 2010
naija_diva:

lol i know. i can't do. I've always wanted to try olive oil on my hair but its too darn expensive to be wasting on hair. My mom buys oilve oil by the gallons and i keep eyeing it with thoughts of using it as a hot oil treatment but i kno mama will not like that grin. so i stick to coconut oil which is good too.

lol eh ya. My mom buys it by the gallon as well. When I run out of my own supply of olive oil, jojoba oil, and vitmain e oil I just walk into the kitchen and use my moms own. I don't know if you live in the US, but if you do, Goya makes these really small bottles of olive oil that you can buy. Their about $1.99. I buy it at the store near my house.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by oluite(f): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2010
naija_diva:

Sweetie, your hair is never bad, it just needs some TLC. wink
Am so ready to learn TLC Skills o!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2010
This Dark & Lovely with Aloe is working so well for me, my hair is soft and shiny, I will monitor and see what happens as it grows, I want it to stay soft!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 2:32pm On Sep 22, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

lol eh ya. My mom buys it by the gallon as well. When I run out of my own supply of olive oil, jojoba oil, and vitmain e oil I just walk into the kitchen and use my moms own. I don't know if you live in the US, but if you do, Goya makes these really small bottles of olive oil that you can buy. Their about $1.99. I buy it at the store near my house.

hmmm, i didn't know. Im going to have to look into it. What stores do u buy it from. or does it matter.

oluite:

Am so ready to learn TLC Skills o!

just follow this thread and post your questions here. The ladies here are very helpful.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 4:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
naija_diva:

hmmm, i didn't know. Im going to have to look into it. What stores do u buy it from. or does it matter.

just follow this thread and post your questions here. The ladies here are very helpful.

Well, I live in the city so its taxless and inexpensive Goya Olive oil is always available. You can try buying it at a store like Target but most likely there will be tax added. If you buy it at a bodega or your local grocery stor, you can find the kind I'm talking about. I'm not sure how much it will cost if/when you go to Target. You could also try Wal-mart, Walgreens, and CVS.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Well, I live in the city so its taxless and inexpensive Goya Olive oil is always available. You can try buying it at a store like Target but most likely there will be tax added. If you buy it at a bodega or your local grocery stor, you can find the kind I'm talking about. I'm not sure how much it will cost if/when you go to Target. You could also try Wal-mart, Walgreens, and CVS.

Cool, I live in target lol so i'll be on the lookout. and another thing, how big is it? I don't want no smal puny thing. I got alot of hair Lol
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 6:40pm On Sep 22, 2010
It's a 3 oz bottle of extra virgin olive oil. Target is my bff too. Ever since they started selling Jan Carter's Solution, I've been going more often. How long have you been natural?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
last relaxer in 2008. transitioned for a yr. BC last yr in july. so i've been ofiicially natural for over a year.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 8:00pm On Sep 22, 2010
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the club. I'm looking forward to doing my second BC. Haven't set yet.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 8:31pm On Sep 22, 2010
Thank you and congratulations on your second BC. I swear, Bcing is like the fun part of going natural. I might BC again one i grow my hair out for a while. I want a nice big curly fro. grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2010
lol, when I grew my hair out to about shoulder length I told my family I wanted cut it and they freaked out. I'm still gonna do it anyway. Got a bit tired of the hair so I did a bunch of mimi chops until I had a frohawk. Now I'm ready to let it all go. I'm done havin' fun with it. Fall is comin' so I gotta get rollin' on that hair cut.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 9:13pm On Sep 22, 2010
i wanna see pics when u get it done.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:17pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ok, no problem. Did you do your BC at a natural hair salon or on your own? Sorry, hope I'm not asking too many questions embarassed.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 10:24pm On Sep 22, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Ok, no problem. Did you do your BC at a natural hair salon or on your own? Sorry, hope I'm not asking too many questions embarassed.

dont apologize. I like sharing information or better yet, talking hair cheesy. I did my BC by myself spontaneously. Why pay someone to do the fun BC experience for u?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 10:56pm On Sep 22, 2010
naija_diva:

dont apologize. I like sharing information or better yet, talking hair  cheesy.  I did my BC by myself spontaneously. Why pay someone to do the fun BC experience for u?

lol, I see your point. I did my first one by myself so I'm pretty much past the excitement part. Now I just wanna pamper myself at the salon cool.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Promixking(m): 11:05pm On Sep 22, 2010
You're always consistent in this forum. I love your sense of judgement. Can i have a chat date. My e mail is Promixking@yahoo.com
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:34pm On Sep 22, 2010
Did you follow me from the romance forum to give me you e-mail address?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 1:03am On Sep 23, 2010
^^^ grin grin grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by iice(f): 9:50am On Sep 30, 2010
I love weaves/wigs though i've never worn a weave and as for wig. . .i wore one huge afro one for this crazy party. . .actually it belonged to a friend (male). Never permed my hair either coz growing up, the examples i saw were hideous to me plus my brothers warned me never to come home with a coconut husk hair on my head grin. I do however have my hair straightened out via thermal reconditioning. I do it because i'm not fond of combing my hair and fixing and all that womanly thing that takes up my time. When my hair is not braided, its in a bun or i have it reconditioned so i just comb it in the morning and leave the hair as it is for the whole day. Yeah people always say don't cut your hair blah blah, whatever jare. I cut the hair when i feel like it. I grow my hair really long and just snip it off. First time i did it, my mom and all my friends were mad at me but whatever, i do as i like jare. I've never had a bald head sha. . .that one pass my power lol. Right now my hair is very long but i'm gonna take a scissor to it oneof these days.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Sissy3(f): 8:07pm On Sep 30, 2010
welcome back iice wink

" I've never had a bald head sha. . .that one pass my power"

me too. even when i was in sec school when it was mandatory to cut hair, i never went that "low". dat one pass me jare. i may get the liver to cut my hair right now but to go dat low will require both of my kidneys,  heart and liver combined embarassed
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by iice(f): 4:24am On Oct 01, 2010
Sissy thanks ooo smiley

I tell you. I give props to those ladies who go bald. Na true you talk, i go need all my organs to do that one.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 6:27am On Oct 01, 2010
iice:

I love weaves/wigs though i've never worn a weave and as for wig. . .i wore one huge afro one for this crazy party. . .actually it belonged to a friend (male). Never permed my hair either coz growing up, the examples i saw were hideous to me plus my brothers warned me never to come home with a coconut husk hair on my head grin. I do however have my hair straightened out via thermal reconditioning. I do it because i'm not fond of combing my hair and fixing and all that womanly thing that takes up my time. When my hair is not braided, its in a bun or i have it reconditioned so i just comb it in the morning and leave the hair as it is for the whole day. Yeah people always say don't cut your hair blah blah, whatever jare. I cut the hair when i feel like it. I grow my hair really long and just snip it off. First time i did it, my mom and all my friends were mad at me but whatever, i do as i like jare. I've never had a bald head sha. . .that one pass my power lol. Right now my hair is very long but i'm gonna take a scissor to it oneof these days.

Wow, I wish I could say I never permed my hair. I cut my hair last year and everyone freaked out too grin. Couldn't stop laughing for days. The only one who didn't seem to care was my dad. The bald head thing was nice but nice but I prefer to keep my hair longer. My mom rocks a low cut and she look fierce. People are always complimenting her. I cut my hair again this summer. . . A lot of it has already grown out. . . Gonna cut it again grin.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by iice(f): 8:54am On Oct 01, 2010
Well if had seen gorgeous permed hair back when i was young, i would have permed my hair but it wasn't so. Even now that i've seen some great permed hair, i'm not feeling it. My mom also rocks low cut. Cant even imagine her with long hair anymore. Yeah i like my hair a bit longer too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From MBGN 2014 / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS] / Fashion Or Madness? Lady Seen Wearing A Jump Suit, Which Covers Part Of Her Bum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.