Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29743 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:17am On Oct 01, 2010
When I was little, my mom used to have really hair that used to go down her back and because of that, I used to think that all black women were supposed to have hair like that. Eventually, I realized that I not all black women had long hair.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by iice(f): 11:08am On Oct 01, 2010
Lol i just remember this bball player, he had been braiding his hair for years. . .the hair no gree grow. Not only is the hair stagnant, it's sparse and coarse. I kept telling him to cut the hair but he wouldn't. I suppose he felt it added to his fineness undecided
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 12:15pm On Oct 01, 2010
iice:

Lol i just remember this bball player, he had been braiding his hair for years. . .the hair no gree grow.  Not only is the hair stagnant, it's sparse and coarse.  I kept telling him to cut the hair but he wouldn't.  I suppose he felt it added to his fineness undecided

lol lol, eh ya. He's was probably attached to his hair.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:25am On Oct 05, 2010
Hey guys,

I haven't been here in a little while, nice to see conversation flowed cheesy

Naija Diva/Nerd, what is BCing?

By the way, my hair is getting to an ugly stage where I can't plait/braid it because it is not long enough but also not short enough to look good, ggggrrrrrrrrr. . . . . . how did you guys get past this not-so-nice stage? I look forward to braiding and playing around with my hair!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:35am On Oct 05, 2010
SA Goddess:

Hey guys,

I haven't been here in a little while, nice to see conversation flowed cheesy

Naija Diva/Nerd, what is BCing?

By the way, my hair is getting to an ugly stage where I can't plait/braid it because it is not long enough but also not short enough to look good, ggggrrrrrrrrr. . . . . . how did you guys get past this not-so-nice stage? I look forward to braiding and playing around with my hair!

BC stands for big chop. Its when you decide to cut your relaxed hair off and go natural not too long after your last relaxer. I know how it feels when you hair is in that awkward stage. Hmmm, what products do you currently use in your hair?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:41am On Oct 05, 2010
I see, thanks Nerd, I shaved all my relaxed hair off and just started from the roots! It was brave of me but I am sponteneous like that cheesy

I am currently using Dark & Lovely Scalp Soother with Aloe Vera, seems to work nicely, it even makes my hair soft. I am just not happy with this unsightly FRO but I am not relaxing it this time, it would be so easy to get a "Toni Braxton" cut but I am sticking to the plan, NATURAL it is! I will just come here for some much needed cheering on cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2010
im still kinda in the "ugly" stage. its not short enough to look cute but not long enough to style into a cute style. when i wear twist, they are short and not all that. but whatever, i deal with it. I can't wait until my hair gets longer so that i can do all the cute natural styles. even my twistouts look funny undecided.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:03am On Oct 06, 2010
I know what you mean diva, I can't even twist at present but I am determined to stay natural. . . . . .I can't wait to start doing twists and braiding cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:24am On Oct 06, 2010
SA Goddess:

I know what you mean diva, I can't even twist at present but I am determined to stay natural. . . . . .I can't wait to start doing twists and braiding cheesy

You know, you can try making your own hair gel to try to help get you through the awkward phase of the hair growth. Hmmm, I don't even remember how I did it. just glad I got through it grin.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:36am On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

You know, you can try making your own hair gel to try to help get you through the awkward phase of the hair growth. Hmmm, I don't even remember how I did it. just glad I got through it grin.

Thanks hun but my problem is not the hair gel but the length of my hair, not long enough to plait and not short enough to look cute. . . . . .and no I don't look like a village girl grin grin I brush it and press it down cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:41am On Oct 06, 2010
Hehehe, I get what you mean. I guess you can try to get your hair braided with extensions till it grows to a length this that is more suitable to your liking.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:46am On Oct 06, 2010
This length can't even be braided but hey, I will be patient! cool
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 10:06am On Oct 06, 2010
Make sure take biotin and a multivitamin.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:22am On Oct 06, 2010
What does biotin do? I am multivitamins already!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:29am On Oct 06, 2010
Here's a site that can give you a good understanding >>> http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/biotin.htm Its really helps with hair and nail growth.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:32am On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Here's a site that can give you a good understanding >>> http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/biotin.htm Its really helps with hair and nail growth.

Thanks babe, I will check it out. . . . . . oh yes, now that you mention strong hair and nails, I recall something from my Biology class or was it Domestic Science wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:33am On Oct 06, 2010
SA Goddess:

Thanks babe, I will check it out. . . . . . oh yes, now that you mention strong hair and nails, I recall something from my Biology class or was it Domestic Science wink

lol, no problem.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:36am On Oct 06, 2010
Silly question from me but I will ask anyway cheesy when do I start with the conditioning and treatments? It's only been a month since I went natural, hair still short, ugly short that is! wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:48am On Oct 06, 2010
SA Goddess:

Silly question from me but I will ask anyway  cheesy  when do I start with the conditioning and treatments?  It's only been a month since I went natural, hair still short, ugly short that is!   wink

Whenever you want. Even if you have a low cut, you've still need to condition. Moisturizing is key to healthy natural hair. Awww, don't call your hair ugly and short. Natural hair is beautiful no matter what state its in wink. Oh and by the way, it wasn't a silly question.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:51am On Oct 06, 2010
I agree, natural hair is beautiful, I guess I am just frustrated by it's length at present but it is growing beautifully, nice and thick cool

I will get on with conditioning then. . . . . . . .and will be back here for more tips on how to take care of it, these tips will keep me going!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:53am On Oct 06, 2010
Oh and go on Youtube and watch some natural hair video tutorials. Those REALLY help.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:55am On Oct 06, 2010
Will do. . . . . .I guess I have to read up on Natural Hair as much as I can. . . . . . .and ask questions when in doubt!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 1:31pm On Oct 08, 2010
@ SA goddess, I BC'ed my hair 3 months ago so my hair right now is not so short and maybe long enough to be braided(with extensions). I found it odd that you're unhappy with your hair at it's current length. I LOVE my hair and I don't do much to it. I shampoo it about once a month but I co-wash(wash with conditioner only) about twice a week. I moisturize my hair with shea butter and seal with EVOO(extra virgin olive oil). Sometimes I use Emily millionaire coconut oil and herbs creme or ORS(organic root stimulator) olive oil creme. As much as possible I don't use any product that has petroleum or mineral oil as an ingredient. I deep condition once a week with Africa's Best hair mayonnaise. My hair is growing beautifully. When I'm not co-washing,I pour water on the hair everyday. I'm just waiting for more length.

I've received stares and questions from people asking when I'll relax my hair. I just smile and say never and smile more when they look shocked grin Check out this website www.hairlista.com there are a lot of black ladies growing their hair there naturally and otherwise. You'll get tips on products to use etc,just look for the naturalistas group. Wish you all the best in your natural hair journey.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 1:38pm On Oct 08, 2010
on youtube,look for longhairdontcare2011,her hair journey will inspire you. She's been natural for about 4 years now I think.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 5:52pm On Oct 08, 2010
^^ yup, her hair is nice and natural. Also check out kimmaytube (my fave), rustic beauty, and blackonyx. all natural women with gorgeous hair.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by gangstaboo(f): 10:55pm On Oct 08, 2010
HI SA! Long time

And I cut my hair a few weeks ago and love it as well! The back and sides are shaved while the front and middle is longer sort of like a fauxhawk. I get compliments on it all the time so I guess it looks nice lol. I panicked when my stylist started cutting and wanted to tear up a little (I got over it lol) because most times as black women (Im AA) society teaches us that long hair is automatically more beautiful.I call bullllshyt on that because one of my homegirls is rocking a very very low cut fade at the moment and it is GORGEOUS, she colored it like a golden light brown and it just matches her. I just love short hair!!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 8:50am On Oct 09, 2010
To all the all the natural hair sista on this thread, work it!!! wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by gangstaboo(f): 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2010
I was not allowed to perm my hair as child therefore I did not get my first perm until I was 19, which was just last year lol! I do sometimes miss those days of my hair being in it's natural state, natural hair is beautiful!!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:02am On Oct 12, 2010
Hey Gangsta. . . . .how are you doing? How is Mantra? cheesy

Don't get me wrong Ejadamen, I love my hair natural but don't know what to do with it in terms of styling, you know when it is not long enough to plait/braid yet not short enough to look cute. . . .I am determined to stay natural though, a break from chemicals is needed so I am sticking to this, hopefully to last a life time! cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:37am On Oct 12, 2010
SA Goddess:

Hey Gangsta. . . . .how are you doing? How is Mantra? cheesy

Don't get me wrong Ejadamen,

[b]I love my hair natural but don't know what to do with it in terms of styling, you know when it is not long enough to plait/braid yet not short enough to look cute. . . .[/b]

I am determined to stay natural though, a break from chemicals is needed so I am sticking to this, hopefully to last
a life time! cheesy

Hello @SA Goddess good thing I saw this before I left. Theres a NLander member who's got the most fab sisterlocks.

I've seen a few girls who are just starting their sisterlocks, it looks really great. It's seems to keep all the hair strands neatly in place and looks like it does not stress or split the hair like cane-row does ( I've stopped canerowing the top of my hair because of split ends)

Maybe the girl with the sisterlocks will come over to your thread.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:46am On Oct 12, 2010
Hey Madlady, thanks for the tips girl, so cornrows cause split ends *noted*  I am learning so much from this thread, I love it and all the contribution. . . .it makes my journey easier to travel knowing I am not alone!   cheesy  What is the lady's name, the one with gorgeous locks?  maybe I can check her profile and see. . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:56am On Oct 12, 2010
The way I do canerow maybe the reason, I only have them at the top of my head, I pull it very tight (it draws my eyes back,gives me that instant face lift wink) I will leave it  out for now.

I don't know if she would like me to say undecided. It's really really nice, very neat sisterlocs, looks a bit different from what I see in the UK. Most peeps over here do not do sisterlocks like that, but then I've not seen that many.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From MBGN 2014 / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS] / Fashion Or Madness? Lady Seen Wearing A Jump Suit, Which Covers Part Of Her Bum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.